Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Biggest Upset
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Watching Georgia's run through the SEC Tourney this weekend proves that anything can happen come March. What are some of the biggest upsets you've ever seen at the state tournament through the years?
The biggest one i've seen is Breckinridge County winning it all in 1995. They didn't have any superstars, every one of their starting five averaged around the same number of points, they pressed the entire game, they were awesome to watch and that's the most excited I had been up to that point.

Also, I don't think the rest of the state expected Paintsville to win it in 1996. They ran through that tournament like it was their job, had a couple of close games, but they came to play every game, and I think it shocked everybody.
I know this is a thread dealing with basketball upsets, but I think this one is worth mentioning.

Last season, the Shelby County Rockets entered the 30th District Tournament with an 11-14 record, and having lost the last 9 games of the regular season. They swept the District Tournament, upsetting Anderson County 7-5 in the finals. They won the 8th Region Tournament, beating Walton-Verona, Carroll County, & Simon-Kenton. After losing the first game in the best-of-3 series with then 28-11 Elizabethtown, the Rockets rallied in 8 innings to win 4-3 in Game 2, and won 11-4 in Game 3. Now playing at Applebee's, winning 7 out of 8, Shelby County defeated Ryle (34-6) 5-0 in the first round, Pleasure Ridge Park (33-9) 5-4 in the Semi-Finals before losing 10-1 to Paul Dunbar in the State Championship.

Like I said, I know this is a basketball thread, but I haven't seen many KY Sweet 16s, and I thought Shelby County's run to the Baseball State Championship last season was something worth mentioning.
StrikeoutKing Wrote:I know this is a thread dealing with basketball upsets, but I think this one is worth mentioning.

Last season, the Shelby County Rockets entered the 30th District Tournament with an 11-14 record, and having lost the last 9 games of the regular season. They swept the District Tournament, upsetting Anderson County 7-5 in the finals. They won the 8th Region Tournament, beating Walton-Verona, Carroll County, & Simon-Kenton. After losing the first game in the best-of-3 series with then 28-11 Elizabethtown, the Rockets rallied in 8 innings to win 4-3 in Game 2, and won 11-4 in Game 3. Now playing at Applebee's, winning 7 out of 8, Shelby County defeated Ryle (34-6) 5-0 in the first round, Pleasure Ridge Park (33-9) 5-4 in the Semi-Finals before losing 10-1 to Paul Dunbar in the State Championship.

Like I said, I know this is a basketball thread, but I haven't seen many KY Sweet 16s, and I thought Shelby County's run to the Baseball State Championship last season was something worth mentioning.

I know that was so crazy. Ryle was actually on a winning streak of their own. I think one of the last games ryle lost before Shelby was against Lawrence County, and then right after that Lawrence beat Shelby 15-2 in the Louisville Invitational, and then LC gets beat and don't even make it to sectionals, but Shelby makes it to the final game...crazy crazy stuff!
Scott Co scores about a zillion points in the last 35 seconds to upset Lexington Catholic in 1998. Lex Cath was ranked #3 in the nation and had beaten several national powers including Oak Hill. Several of the state's coaches said everyone else in the state was playing for runner up
rojas Wrote:Scott Co scores about a zillion points in the last 35 seconds to upset Lexington Catholic in 1998. Lex Cath was ranked #3 in the nation and had beaten several national powers including Oak Hill. Several of the state's coaches said everyone else in the state was playing for runner up

That's the year Rick Jones went off and had the game of his life. He was a great guard. He lit me up for about 25 one game that year.
OMG Wrote:The biggest one i've seen is Breckinridge County winning it all in 1995. They didn't have any superstars, every one of their starting five averaged around the same number of points, they pressed the entire game, they were awesome to watch and that's the most excited I had been up to that point.

Also, I don't think the rest of the state expected Paintsville to win it in 1996. They ran through that tournament like it was their job, had a couple of close games, but they came to play every game, and I think it shocked everybody.

I agree I watched Breck Co. that year and they were awesome. the most disciplined team I have seen down at the state tournament...

:rockon:
LarryLargemouth Wrote:I agree I watched Breck Co. that year and they were awesome. the most disciplined team I have seen down at the state tournament...

:rockon:

Yea they are still to this day the most disciplined i've ever seen.
1996---Paintsville over Lexington Catholic. Nobody seemed to give Paintsville a chance. Then the boys turned around that same night and beat a pretty talented Ashland team too.
Those are all some pretty big Sweet 16 wins. However, we have all forgotten the biggest upset in my lifetime when unheralded Edmonson County swept the 1976 Sweet 16.