Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: University of Kentucky's Robinson Forest
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Would the last one to leave the room please turn out the lights?

Just outside of University of Kentucky's Robinson Forest

Before commenting please view the video to its conclusion. You may, or may not, agree with its message.

More: RELATED ROBINSON FOREST VIDEO
[YOUTUBE="Kentucky Strip Mine"]<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JR4sfxbGtjw&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JR4sfxbGtjw&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

More: RELATED ROBINSON FOREST VIDEO
Zero impact mining!! That has to be one of the dumbest things I have ever heard. lol

I'm sure old school will be on here soon to tell us how this video, which is almost entirely clips from mining "experts" is entirely wrong, and is misinterpreted.

When was this video made? From what I could gather it was in the mid 90's, I think I seen the date 1995 in one part of the video.

Where you in the class that took the trip?
Coach_Owens87 Wrote:Zero impact mining!! That has to be one of the dumbest things I have ever heard. lol

I'm sure old school will be on here soon to tell us how this video, which is almost entirely clips from mining "experts" is entirely wrong, and is misinterpreted.

When was this video made? From what I could gather it was in the mid 90's, I think I seen the date 1995 in one part of the video.

Have you ever worked in the mining industry Coach?
Crossbones Wrote:Have you ever worked in the mining industry Coach?

Relevance of question?
thecavemaster Wrote:Relevance of question?
Just trying to understand his stance. Wanting to know if he has first hand knowledge of any type of mining. Pretty simple question and very relevant to the thread in my opinion. It is easy to judge something when you are on the outside looking in and don't have first hand knowledge. I always try to look at both sides of a debate before I make a stand still decision. Just my opinion.
Crossbones,

No I haven't worked in the mines, but that really has nothing to do with my knowledge of the mining industry.

That question is brought up a lot by people in the mining industry to try to make people opposed to MTR look like outsiders, and nut cases who know nothing about mining, which couldn't be farther from the truth. I, like many other eastern Kentuckians, have a long family history in the mines, so I've been around mining, and the mining industry all my life. Ive got friends and family on both sides of this issue.

My stance against MTR has really developed over the course of my life. When I was young, mining was just simply the way of life, and I didn't question what happened, but as I grew older, and watched as this area was being ravished I began to wonder if it was really worth it. So I decided to study the issue, and this lead me to the conclusion that the negative effects of MTR far outweigh the positives. Im also a biology major, so Ive got a good understanding of how the effects of mining are destroying our ecosystem.

I could ask you what your level of "Knowledge" of the environment is. It's hard to fully understand an issue when you aren't educated about both sides of the debate. You did say you like to look at things from both sides right?

Being raised around miners, both underground and surface, has made it difficult for me to publicly go against MTR, but I feel that something must be done to stop the destruction. And let me emphasize, I am not AGAINST ALL MINING, just MTR.
Coach_Owens87 Wrote:Crossbones,

No I haven't worked in the mines, but that really has nothing to do with my knowledge of the mining industry.

That question is brought up a lot by people in the mining industry to try to make people opposed to MTR look like outsiders, and nut cases who know nothing about mining, which couldn't be farther from the truth. I, like many other eastern Kentuckians, have a long family history in the mines, so I've been around mining, and the mining industry all my life. Ive got friends and family on both sides of this issue.

My stance against MTR has really developed over the course of my life. When I was young, mining was just simply the way of life, and I didn't question what happened, but as I grew older, and watched as this area was being ravished I began to wonder if it was really worth it. So I decided to study the issue, and this lead me to the conclusion that the negative effects of MTR far outweigh the positives. Im also a biology major, so Ive got a good understanding of how the effects of mining are destroying our ecosystem.

I could ask you what your level of "Knowledge" of the environment is. It's hard to fully understand an issue when you aren't educated about both sides of the debate. You did say you like to look at things from both sides right?

Being raised around miners, both underground and surface, has made it difficult for me to publicly go against MTR, but I feel that something must be done to stop the destruction. And let me emphasize, I am not AGAINST ALL MINING, just MTR.
Coach, don't take me wrong. I was not judging you. Just simply trying to understand your stance. I have no problem with your opinions. Without differences of opinions one side would over run things. For example the mining industry would just do as they please without people protesting some of their means of mining. I have no problem telling you my personal knowledge of mining. I have a BS in Industrial Technology with an emphasis in Mining Technology and a minor in Geology. I am a certified Kentucky Mine Foreman, certified in dust sampling, certified Kentucky Mine Inspector, certified Shot firer, certified MET Instructor, and certified underground Mine Instructor. I am completely trained on all underground and surface equipment and procedures related to mining safety, production and environmental impacts. I have no problem agreeing that mining does have some impact on the environment. But so does running a car and many other things. I personally weighed the good vs. the bad and mining does more good than bad in my eye.
Crossbones Wrote:Coach, don't take me wrong. I was not judging you. Just simply trying to understand your stance. I have no problem with your opinions. Without differences of opinions one side would over run things. For example the mining industry would just do as they please without people protesting some of their means of mining. I have no problem telling you my personal knowledge of mining. I have a BS in Industrial Technology with an emphasis in Mining Technology and a minor in Geology. I am a certified Kentucky Mine Foreman, certified in dust sampling, certified Kentucky Mine Inspector, certified Shot firer, certified MET Instructor, and certified underground Mine Instructor. I am completely trained on all underground and surface equipment and procedures related to mining safety, production and environmental impacts. I have no problem agreeing that mining does have some impact on the environment. But so does running a car and many other things. I personally weighed the good vs. the bad and mining does more good than bad in my eye.

I figured you would be from the mining industry, most people who support MTR either work in the mines, or have close family ties to the mining industry.

Im glad that you didn't come out and call me a nut case, or environmental wacko like a lot of people on this site do.

I agree that many things humans are doing have huge impacts on the environment, but comparing driving a car to mining is ridiculous.

Im not here to argue point vs. point, there has been several threads in which I have already done this. But I just cant see how anyone could think the positives of mining outweigh the negative when you look at it from both sides.
mining provides a few jobs and an economic boost for now, but the damage we have done to the environment is permanent.
Coach_Owens87 Wrote:Zero impact mining!! That has to be one of the dumbest things I have ever heard. lol

I guess everyone is entitled to their own opinion to the meaning of the word "impact" and I also think it's a safe bet to say that if this person ever read any of your post about mining he could say those are some of the dumbest comments he had ever heard lol.

BTW Coach you still haven't answered my question from the other thread. What did you mean when you said "There is a difference between valley fills and illegally dumping fill material into creeks, streams and rivers"? Have you ever seen a coal company build a valley fill or dump material into a river?
Old School Wrote:I guess everyone is entitled to their own opinion to the meaning of the word "impact" and I also think it's a safe bet to say that if this person ever read any of your post about mining he could say those are some of the dumbest comments he had ever heard lol.

BTW Coach you still haven't answered my question from the other thread. What did you mean when you said "There is a difference between valley fills and illegally dumping fill material into creeks, streams and rivers"? Have you ever seen a coal company build a valley fill or dump material into a river?

Im sure that if someone from the mining industry read my comments they would think I'm crazy, but thats expected. Zero impact mining though, come on.

To answer your question, yes I have seen a valley fill being built, but I have not seen first hand a valley fill that was near a creek, stream or river.

What I meant by comment is that the definition of fill material was changed recently, and this rule change violates the Clean Water Act. It's also not very hard to find pictures and evidence of valley fills that have damaged water quality, and sometimes buried streams and creeks. Massey Energy is very bad for this.

So now companies can "legally" (and I use this term loosely) dump mining waste and overburden into creeks, and streams. So it doesn't matter if I have seen it, it's happening, and I think it's wrong.
Coach_Owens87 Wrote:Im sure that if someone from the mining industry read my comments they would think I'm crazy, but thats expected. Zero impact mining though, come on.

To answer your question, yes I have seen a valley fill being built, but I have not seen first hand a valley fill that was near a creek, stream or river.

What I meant by comment is that the definition of fill material was changed recently, and this rule change violates the Clean Water Act. It's also not very hard to find pictures and evidence of valley fills that have damaged water quality, and sometimes buried streams and creeks. Massey Energy is very bad for this.

So now companies can "legally" (and I use this term loosely) dump mining waste and overburden into creeks, and streams. So it doesn't matter if I have seen it, it's happening, and I think it's wrong.

Nor you will never see one being built in a river it's impossible.

In 1998 West Virginia Highland Conservancy challenged the regulation of Surface Mining and MTR, because the word "waste" was used with the term "fill material".
In the final clarification rule the term "fill material" was redefined to include overburden, slurry, tailing or similar mining related materials, which is where were at today.

How you can say that your not against all mining just MTR, when your against valley fills? Valley fills are used in every type of coal mining, without valley fills coal mining can't exist, and if you and the other anti-mining groups were just against MTR, looks like you would support laws that would ban MTR.
Old School Wrote:Nor you will never see one being built in a river it's impossible.

In 1998 West Virginia Highland Conservancy challenged the regulation of Surface Mining and MTR, because the word "waste" was used with the term "fill material".
In the final clarification rule the term "fill material" was redefined to include overburden, slurry, tailing or similar mining related materials, which is where were at today.

How you can say that your not against all mining just MTR, when your against valley fills? Valley fills are used in every type of coal mining, without valley fills coal mining can't exist, and if you and the other anti-mining groups were just against MTR, looks like you would support laws that would ban MTR.

Again you keep spitting out the same BS, I dont like MTR, I am totally against ILLEGAL valley fills, I am not against all mining.

a lot of people from the pro-mtr side, and the "Friends of coal" nutcases, keep trying to persuade people the anyone against MTR is against coal and wants to take coal miners jobs. Which isnt true, machines and the practice of MTR has taken away more jobs from miners than any environmentalist will do.

And I wasn't talking about the 1998 West Virginia ruling, which under the proposal of the Clinton administration and the EPA, was used throughout Appalachia beginning in 2000. The ruling I was talking about was completed in may 2002, The bush administration changed the definition of fill material, and they changed the ruling on how and where this material could be placed. They changed many other things also like downgrading the label of "Hazardous" on mercury pollution from power plants, which gave power plants 15 more years to implement better controls, they also changed a ruling that made high level radioactive waste "incidental", which saved the government the time and money it takes to clean it up.

The ruling on the "fill material" consisted of the same type of tricks, one which is still ongoing, the "clarification" of the stream buffer rule. They also changed many of the rulings under the CWA from "discretionary" to "non discretionary", minor word changes that have major effects. They also changed the limits on the size of new MTR sites. I have mentioned this rule change at least a dozen times, and then you bring up a ruling from 1998, that was only in WV, and has nothing to do with Kentucky, or this topic.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn...ge=printer
Coach_Owens87 Wrote:Again you keep spitting out the same BS, I dont like MTR, I am totally against ILLEGAL valley fills, I am not against all mining.

a lot of people from the pro-mtr side, and the "Friends of coal" nutcases, keep trying to persuade people the anyone against MTR is against coal and wants to take coal miners jobs. Which isnt true, machines and the practice of MTR has taken away more jobs from miners than any environmentalist will do.

And I wasn't talking about the 1998 West Virginia ruling, which under the proposal of the Clinton administration and the EPA, was used throughout Appalachia beginning in 2000. The ruling I was talking about was completed in may 2002, The bush administration changed the definition of fill material, and they changed the ruling on how and where this material could be placed. They changed many other things also like downgrading the label of "Hazardous" on mercury pollution from power plants, which gave power plants 15 more years to implement better controls, they also changed a ruling that made high level radioactive waste "incidental", which saved the government the time and money it takes to clean it up.

The ruling on the "fill material" consisted of the same type of tricks, one which is still ongoing, the "clarification" of the stream buffer rule. They also changed many of the rulings under the CWA from "discretionary" to "non discretionary", minor word changes that have major effects. They also changed the limits on the size of new MTR sites. I have mentioned this rule change at least a dozen times, and then you bring up a ruling from 1998, that was only in WV, and has nothing to do with Kentucky, or this topic.

Yes you were lol. The final ruling in 2002 was because of the 1998 lawsuit brought on by the WV. Highlands Consevancy. The ruling was for West Virginia but they are trying to change it to include Kentucky and all other Coal producing states. I believe the Corps of Engineers have stopped issuing 404 permits in Kentucky, which is the way it started in WV.
Coach_Owens87 Wrote:Again you keep spitting out the same BS, I dont like MTR, I am totally against ILLEGAL valley fills, I am not against all mining.

The statement that MTR is taking jobs away from miners is absurd, the majority of MTR sites are either in areas that are unminable by underground methods. This could be due to the fact that most small underground mines need at least 250 ft. to 300' ft. of cover over them on top of the ridgelines to effectively mine that area or it could be that their are multiple coal seams in close proximity to each other making it impossible to mine the lower seam or either seam in certain circumstances. I will agree that better technology has improved the efficiency in the production of mining coal in both underground and surface mines, just like technology has helped the farmer, auto manufactures and everyone else for that matter, everyone is producing more with less people than they were 30 to 40 years ago. most call it progress.

You say that your against illegal valley fills, but yet as I understood your previous post you said valley fills were legal prior to May of 2002 and are now illegal because of the 2002 rule clarification. Yet all of the anti-mining groups like OHVEC, Kentuckians for the Commwealth, Seirra Club and many others were claiming valley fills were illegal over 12 years because they violated the Clean Water Act which brought on the lawsuit in 1998.

Again you claim that your only against MTR and not all mining, but yet you are against illegal valley fills (which in my opinion all valley fills are 100% legal). I've also said on several occasions that if coal companies were not allowed to place material into valley fills, they would be out of business, which you claim is BS, brings to me this point, let's assume for the moment that valley fills were ruled illegal and could not be used by the mining industry. Let's assume a coal company wants to start a contour mining operation (which in the past you've said your ok with contour mining), assuming the permit calls for moving 100 million cubic yards of overburden and keep in mind that the overburden swells about 25% which would bring the total overburden to 125 million cubic yards, now you only able place about 80% of the original 100 million cubic yards back on the strip bench where it came from that leaves 20 million yards from the original yardage plus another 25 million yards from the swell which brings the total to 45 million cubic yards. Where will that additional yardage will go to?

Let's consider underground mines, whenever you make a site for underground mines you have to build roads and move overburden for the portals. Where will you place all of the overburden? Then you have slurry impoundments, I'm sure that if the coal industary wasn't allowed to build valley fills they surley would not be allowed to build slurry impoundents either. Where would coal companies place the rock that is removed from the coal when its processed through the prep plant?

This is why I said if your against valley fills then your against all types of mining and not just MTR because as I said earlier valley fills are used in every type of mining.

Now tell me haw can the coal industry operate surface or underground mines without the use of valley fills?
Old School Wrote:The statement that MTR is taking jobs away from miners is absurd, the majority of MTR sites are either in areas that are unminable by underground methods. This could be due to the fact that most small underground mines need at least 250 ft. to 300' ft. of cover over them on top of the ridgelines to effectively mine that area or it could be that their are multiple coal seams in close proximity to each other making it impossible to mine the lower seam or either seam in certain circumstances. I will agree that better technology has improved the efficiency in the production of mining coal in both underground and surface mines, just like technology has helped the farmer, auto manufactures and everyone else for that matter, everyone is producing more with less people than they were 30 to 40 years ago. most call it progress.

You call it progress, I call it profit. Less workers + more coal = more profit, it's all about business, and MTR is a cheap way to mine coal, thats the major factor in why MTR is so popular. Coal mining jobs have dramitically decreased in the last 30 years, but big coal companies want us to think they still employ large numbers of miners, and they don't. From 1984 - 1993 Coal mining jobs in the US decreased by 57%, from 177,874 to 101,322, this was due to new and cheaper mining techniques, like MTR. So the numbers support my theory.
Old School Wrote:You say that your against illegal valley fills, but yet as I understood your previous post you said valley fills were legal prior to May of 2002 and are now illegal because of the 2002 rule clarification. Yet all of the anti-mining groups like OHVEC, Kentuckians for the Commwealth, Seirra Club and many others were claiming valley fills were illegal over 12 years because they violated the Clean Water Act which brought on the lawsuit in 1998.

Again you claim that your only against MTR and not all mining, but yet you are against illegal valley fills (which in my opinion all valley fills are 100% legal). I've also said on several occasions that if coal companies were not allowed to place material into valley fills, they would be out of business, which you claim is BS, brings to me this point, let's assume for the moment that valley fills were ruled illegal and could not be used by the mining industry. Let's assume a coal company wants to start a contour mining operation (which in the past you've said your ok with contour mining), assuming the permit calls for moving 100 million cubic yards of overburden and keep in mind that the overburden swells about 25% which would bring the total overburden to 125 million cubic yards, now you only able place about 80% of the original 100 million cubic yards back on the strip bench where it came from that leaves 20 million yards from the original yardage plus another 25 million yards from the swell which brings the total to 45 million cubic yards. Where will that additional yardage will go to?

Let's consider underground mines, whenever you make a site for underground mines you have to build roads and move overburden for the portals. Where will you place all of the overburden? Then you have slurry impoundments, I'm sure that if the coal industary wasn't allowed to build valley fills they surley would not be allowed to build slurry impoundents either. Where would coal companies place the rock that is removed from the coal when its processed through the prep plant?

This is why I said if your against valley fills then your against all types of mining and not just MTR because as I said earlier valley fills are used in every type of mining.

Now tell me haw can the coal industry operate surface or underground mines without the use of valley fills?

A big majority of valley fills do violate the clean water act, and just recently a federal judge agreed with this stance.

Old school, you really have a hard time understanding things, I never said that all valley fills where illegal prior to the 2002 rule change, all I stated is that the 2002 rule changed allowed valley fills to "legally" violate the clean water act. It made legal what was already happening. And to say that all valley fills are 100% legal is crazy, there is no industry in the world that does something 100% legal all the time, it just don't happen, and we have the facts to prove that coal companies do not make legal valley fills 100% of the time. Im sure a lot of companies do follow the rules, and thats good if they do, but I believe some severe changes need to made to those rules, and the CWA needs to be better enforced. Also the SMCRA which is over 30 years old, really needs to be overhauled.

We keep beating this dead horse over and over again. You keep trying to make me look like nutcase, and make it seem that I am against all mining, which im not.

The environmental damage done by MTR mining greatly surpasses that of underground mining. Underground mining does have some major problems though, like polluting the water with heavy metals like uranium, release of greenhouse gases like methane, and several other issues. MTR ,though, has accounted for millions of acres in destroyed forest, thousands of miles of buried streams, floods, land erosion, polluted drinking water and many other problems.

As far as your theoretical questions on Valley fills go, why dont you tell me where the overburden can go, and cause minimal amounts of environmental damage, you are the coal expert right? My guess would be to create a valley fill.

I never said that all valley fills are illegal, so the theoretical question you posed shouldn't be an issue. Again, Im against MTR. If MTR where to be stopped, the questions of these huge valley fills wouldn't be as big of an issue. The less land you disturb, the fewer valley fills you create. MY whole point is that Im against letting coal companies by with destroying this land. Things shouldn't be made easier for them. This issue could be solved by investing into future energy sources, and trying to make them more accessible and usable. Right now coal accounts for 22% of the worlds energy and 40% of all electricity, so 60% of electricity is coming from other sources, we need to invest more in these sources, and make sure that mining of minerals like coal is not destroying the environment.
Coach_Owens87 Wrote:You call it progress, I call it profit. Less workers + more coal = more profit, it's all about business, and MTR is a cheap way to mine coal, thats the major factor in why MTR is so popular. Coal mining jobs have dramitically decreased in the last 30 years, but big coal companies want us to think they still employ large numbers of miners, and they don't. From 1984 - 1993 Coal mining jobs in the US decreased by 57%, from 177,874 to 101,322, this was due to new and cheaper mining techniques, like MTR. So the numbers support my theory.

First let me correct one of your numbers it is a 43% decrease NOT 57% like you stated now with that being said, you did however bring up an interesting point when you said that between 1984 and 1993 coal mining jobs decreased from 177,874 to 101,322 which was true. As I said before, I don't think it should be blamed on MTR, 80% or more MTR jobs, mine areas that are unmineable by underground methods. Let's go back to 1923 when there were 704,000 U.S. Coal miners, then in 1933 there were 418,000, there were 416,000 U.S. coal miners in 1943, and 293,000 in 1953 and 141,000 in 1963, to summerize there were 704,000 coal miners in 1923 and 141,000 in 1963 which is an 80% decrease. All of this happened before MTR ever started, but somehow I'm sure you will try to place the blame on it. So coach you may want to rethink your theory.Big Grin

The number of surface mines in Kentucky have decrease 82% from 1,137 in 1984 to 196 in 2004, underground mines have decreased 55% from 926 in 1984 to 419 in 2004 while the number of coal miners have decreased 59% from 37,876 in 1984 to 15,522 in 2004 with coal production dropping 30% during this same period. BTW the number of coal miners in Kentucky have increased by 15% since 2000.

I can assure you that there is no cheap way to mine coal, surface or underground, I guess it depends on each mine, but I have seen where some underground mines were more profitable than some surface mines and visa versa.

FYI according to the Western Economic Analysis Center coal mining in the U.S. is directly responible for more than 90,000 jobs and nearly one million jobs directly and indirectly.
Old School Wrote:First let me correct one of your numbers it is a 43% decrease NOT 57% like you stated now with that being said, you did however bring up an interesting point when you said that between 1984 and 1993 coal mining jobs decreased from 177,874 to 101,322 which was true. As I said before, I don't think it should be blamed on MTR, 80% or more MTR jobs, mine areas that are unmineable by underground methods. Let's go back to 1923 when there were 704,000 U.S. Coal miners, then in 1933 there were 418,000, there were 416,000 U.S. coal miners in 1943, and 293,000 in 1953 and 141,000 in 1963, to summerize there were 704,000 coal miners in 1923 and 141,000 in 1963 which is an 80% decrease. All of this happened before MTR ever started, but somehow I'm sure you will try to place the blame on it. So coach you may want to rethink your theory.Big Grin

The number of surface mines in Kentucky have decrease 82% from 1,137 in 1984 to 196 in 2004, underground mines have decreased 55% from 926 in 1984 to 419 in 2004 while the number of coal miners have decreased 59% from 37,876 in 1984 to 15,522 in 2004 with coal production dropping 30% during this same period. BTW the number of coal miners in Kentucky have increased by 15% since 2000.

I can assure you that there is no cheap way to mine coal, surface or underground, I guess it depends on each mine, but I have seen where some underground mines were more profitable than some surface mines and visa versa.

FYI according to the Western Economic Analysis Center coal mining in the U.S. is directly responsible for more than 90,000 jobs and nearly one million jobs directly and indirectly.

According to the US department of labor only 79,000 people are employeed in the coal mining industry as of 2006. So the number you gave 90,000, seems to be a bit exaggerated.

I was in a hurry calculating my numbers, and I placed the wrong number in the post, 101,322 is 57% of 177,874.

Now you spent a whole post pretty much saying what I have been saying, coal mining jobs have been decreasing for a long time, and IMO the recent trend in the decrease in coal mining jobs is due to mtr, which is a cheaper way of mining than underground mining.

Youre right that mining jobs have increased in KY since 2000, but if you go back 2 years to 1998 coal mining jobs have decreased all across the country, but I guess you only look at the stats that make your point seem right. In the last decade, coal mining jobs are on the fall, and they have been since the peak in coal in 1981. Experts say that coal mining jobs are going to continue to fall.

My theory on MTR being a huge part in the drop in coal mining jobs is not far off, according to statistics, 80% of all mining operations have less than 20 workers employed by the coal company. 45% of mining operations have 3 people employed through the company. All of this is according to the department of labor. Since strip mining jobs (MTR) requires very few workers, and most operations hire less than 20 workers, I think my theory of smaller mining operations being to blame for the fall in jobs is very valid.

Also the average age of Miners in ky is 45, so it seems that this increase in jobs isn't really going to a wide age demographic, probably because the jobs are just being given to former miners. What this region really needs is good sustainable jobs for all age demographics, and coal mining isn't providing that.
Coach_Owens87 Wrote:According to the US department of labor only 79,000 people are employeed in the coal mining industry as of 2006. So the number you gave 90,000, seems to be a bit exaggerated.

I was in a hurry calculating my numbers, and I placed the wrong number in the post, 101,322 is 57% of 177,874.

Now you spent a whole post pretty much saying what I have been saying, coal mining jobs have been decreasing for a long time, and IMO the recent trend in the decrease in coal mining jobs is due to mtr, which is a cheaper way of mining than underground mining.

Youre right that mining jobs have increased in KY since 2000, but if you go back 2 years to 1998 coal mining jobs have decreased all across the country, but I guess you only look at the stats that make your point seem right. In the last decade, coal mining jobs are on the fall, and they have been since the peak in coal in 1981. Experts say that coal mining jobs are going to continue to fall.

My theory on MTR being a huge part in the drop in coal mining jobs is not far off, according to statistics, 80% of all mining operations have less than 20 workers employed by the coal company. 45% of mining operations have 3 people employed through the company. All of this is according to the department of labor. Since strip mining jobs (MTR) requires very few workers, and most operations hire less than 20 workers, I think my theory of smaller mining operations being to blame for the fall in jobs is very valid.

Also the average age of Miners in ky is 45, so it seems that this increase in jobs isn't really going to a wide age demographic, probably because the jobs are just being given to former miners. What this region really needs is good sustainable jobs for all age demographics, and coal mining isn't providing that.

Coach you've had some dandy posts in the past, but this one takes the cakeSmile . I haven't laughed this much in a long time, the only way I could ever believe that a MTR job only employed 20 is if they only ran one shift per day and it's hard for me to believe that a company would spend 20 to 25 million dollars on a mining operation and only operate it 1 shift per day. You keep insisting that MTR is a cheaper way to produce coal but if you only operated 1 shift per day the cost per ton would be quadrupled that of underground mines. Then you try to tell me that 45% of the mines only employee 3 this is great stuff, lol you have to tell me where you found this info. Do you really think that 3 employees can take a mountain down (as anti-mining groups want everyone to believe) 800 ft. to 1000 ft. The average size MTR job will have at least 20 pieces of equipment if not a lot more and operates 2 shifts per day and usually 6 days a week.

You continue to say that MTR jobs have fewer workers than underground mines, I know you won't believe me but it's really closer to 50-50, our surface mines employee 47, while our deepmines employee 51 and 45 both surface and underground mines vary depending on which method they use.

Now if you still believe that MTR is to blame for the decreased number of miners then maybe you could explain the drop from 704,000 in 1923 to 141,000 in 1963 which was well before MTR method.

Coal companies have been begging for people for the last 5 years and the 15% increase of mining jobs could be 25% if more people could pass a drug test which is another thread by itself.

Again thanks for your last post I needed a good laugh.
Old School Wrote:Coach you've had some dandy posts in the past, but this one takes the cakeSmile . I haven't laughed this much in a long time, the only way I could ever believe that a MTR job only employed 20 is if they only ran one shift per day and it's hard for me to believe that a company would spend 20 to 25 million dollars on a mining operation and only operate it 1 shift per day. You keep insisting that MTR is a cheaper way to produce coal but if you only operated 1 shift per day the cost per ton would be quadrupled that of underground mines. Then you try to tell me that 45% of the mines only employee 3 this is great stuff, lol you have to tell me where you found this info. Do you really think that 3 employees can take a mountain down (as anti-mining groups want everyone to believe) 800 ft. to 1000 ft. The average size MTR job will have at least 20 pieces of equipment if not a lot more and operates 2 shifts per day and usually 6 days a week.

You continue to say that MTR jobs have fewer workers than underground mines, I know you won't believe me but it's really closer to 50-50, our surface mines employee 47, while our deepmines employee 51 and 45 both surface and underground mines vary depending on which method they use.

Now if you still believe that MTR is to blame for the decreased number of miners then maybe you could explain the drop from 704,000 in 1923 to 141,000 in 1963 which was well before MTR method.

Coal companies have been begging for people for the last 5 years and the 15% increase of mining jobs could be 25% if more people could pass a drug test which is another thread by itself.

Again thanks for your last post I needed a good laugh.

I told you where I found this info, the department of labor. All the info I posted came from that site.

here is the link I forgot to post.

http://www.bls.gov/oco/cg/cgs004.htm

I would take statistics from the department of labor before I would the "Western economic analysis center".

The only laugh here is your question, why did jobs drop from 1923 to 1963. Well in case you didn't know, there was a small thing that happened called the depression that started in the 20's. Everyone lost jobs, and the oil, gas, and coal industry took humongous blows. When world war 2 rolled around, we needed to really boost our production in the US, so coal mining jobs started to pick up again. The coal industry is a boom and bust industry also, so it's always rising and falling. I really don't feel like giving a history lesson, but if you need one just send me a PM.

I like you try to make it seem that I blame all the job losses on MTR, and I dont, I just think that MTR has a lot to do with the current decrease in jobs, and I provided stats to prove that. Now that our economy is really slipping, I'm sure more miners will lose jobs, and thats a shame. I feel dumber when I debate with you sometimes, you really have a very one track mind.
Coach_Owens87 Wrote:I told you where I found this info, the department of labor. All the info I posted came from that site.

here is the link I forgot to post.

http://www.bls.gov/oco/cg/cgs004.htm

I would take statistics from the department of labor before I would the "Western economic analysis center".

The only laugh here is your question, why did jobs drop from 1923 to 1963. Well in case you didn't know, there was a small thing that happened called the depression that started in the 20's. Everyone lost jobs, and the oil, gas, and coal industry took humongous blows. When world war 2 rolled around, we needed to really boost our production in the US, so coal mining jobs started to pick up again. The coal industry is a boom and bust industry also, so it's always rising and falling. I really don't feel like giving a history lesson, but if you need one just send me a PM.

I like you try to make it seem that I blame all the job losses on MTR, and I dont, I just think that MTR has a lot to do with the current decrease in jobs, and I provided stats to prove that. Now that our economy is really slipping, I'm sure more miners will lose jobs, and thats a shame. I feel dumber when I debate with you sometimes, you really have a very one track mind.

I find it very odd that you would take stats from the Government over other especially when in the past you said "I do not, and will never believe the majority of the information fiven from the Government" So what changed your mind? lol

Your little history lesson was so insightful, that I can hardly wait for your lesson on what caused the 66% decrease in mining jobs between 1943 to 1963. :graduate:

In your last post, you said, "make it seem that I blame all the job losses on MTR, and I don't". or at least that's what I took it to say. Check out some of your statements.
In post 13 you said that "the practice of MTR has taken away more jobs from mines than any environmentalist will do".
In post 17 you said, "coal mining jobs decreased by 57% (whcih was actually 43%) from 177,874 to 101,322, this was due to new and cheaper mining techniques, like MTR".
In post 18 you said, "IMO the recent trend in the decrese in coal mining jobs is due to MTR".
Again in post 18 you said, "since strip mining jobs (MTR) requires very few workers, and most operations hire less than 20 workers, I think that my theory of mining operations being to blame for the fall of jobs in very valid".
During this thread alone you've said on 4 different occasions that MTR was the cause of decreased jobs in the mining industry. Would it be to much trouble to give us a straight answer, in you opinion is MTR to blame or not?

And you wonder why I question some of your statements, you want people to think your knowledgeable about mining and the mining industry. In about every thread on mining you've brought up that you have a history in mining, that you have family and friends that work in the mines, that you have been around mines your whole life, yet you post things like "45% of mining operations employee 3 people, Smile or "Contour mining is rarely used". Smile If you had any knowledge about mining at all you would know that it takes more than 3 people to operate a mine, maybe you should ask your friends or family members how many people work with them, I guarantee it would be more than 3. lol IMO I don't have to make you look like a nut case, you seem to be doing a fine job of that yourself.

The economy may be slipping, but it's due to the coal industry, like I said earlier jobs in the mining industry have increased 15% over the past 5 years and coal companies are still begging for more workers. The housing market is mainly to blame for the downturn in the enconomy, to many people spent more on homes than they could afford and many lending companies gave loans to people who they knew could not afford these homes.
Old School Wrote:I find it very odd that you would take stats from the Government over other especially when in the past you said "I do not, and will never believe the majority of the information fiven from the Government" So what changed your mind? lol

Your little history lesson was so insightful, that I can hardly wait for your lesson on what caused the 66% decrease in mining jobs between 1943 to 1963. :graduate:

In your last post, you said, "make it seem that I blame all the job losses on MTR, and I don't". or at least that's what I took it to say. Check out some of your statements.
In post 13 you said that "the practice of MTR has taken away more jobs from mines than any environmentalist will do".
In post 17 you said, "coal mining jobs decreased by 57% (whcih was actually 43%) from 177,874 to 101,322, this was due to new and cheaper mining techniques, like MTR".
In post 18 you said, "IMO the recent trend in the decraese in coal mining jobs is due to MTR".
Again in post 18 you said, "since strip mining jobs (MTR) requires very few workers, and most operations hire less than 20 workers, I think that my theory of mining operations being to blame for the fall of jobs in very valid".
During this thread alone you've said on 4 different occasions that MTR was the cause of decreased jobs in the mining industry. Would it be to much trouble to give us a straight answer, in you opinion is MTR to blame or not?

And you wonder why I question some of your statements, you want people to think your knowledgeable about mining and the mining industry. In about every thread on mining you've brought up that you have a history in mining, that you have family and friends that work in the mines, that you have been around mines your whole life, yet you post things like "45% of mining operations employee 3 people, Smile or "Contour mining is rarely used". Smile If you had any knowledge about mining at all you would know that it takes more than 3 people to operate a mine, maybe you should ask your friends or family members how many people work with them, I guarantee it would be more than 3. lol IMO I don't have to make you look like a nut case, you seem to be doing a fine job of that yourself.

The economy may be slipping, 1.) but it's due to the coal industry ?, like I said earlier jobs in the mining industry have increased 15% over the past 5 years and coal companies are still begging for more workers. The housing market is mainly to blame for the downturn in the economy, to many people spent more on homes than they could afford and many lending companies gave loans to people who they knew could not afford these homes.

First off why pull out quotes from me that I corrected later on and try to make me look bad. I corrected my incorrect post about the 57% decrease in mining jobs. So I don't think that bringing that up, and re-correcting what I already corrected really proves anything.

Nothing changed my mind on the government, I said I don't believe the MAJORITY of things they say, not EVERYTHING, slight difference. Plus, those where the newest stats I could find on the subject. If my facts are wrong why don't you challenge them, or did you even go to the link I provided. If you can find something valid that proves me wrong please show it to me, I would love see them. 45% of mining operations do hire 3 workers or less, also 80% of mining operations hire less than 20 workers, although these stats do include other forms of mining besides coal. I tried to find the number of surface mines in Ky or West Virginia, but I couldn't find anything, If I did I would have posted it. From what I could gather no one really knows, they also don't know exactly how many acres have been mined by MTR, the EPA and the MSHA does a horrible job keeping track of these things, so the stats I gave where the best I could find. ( I guess it would be more accurate to say that no stats on the number of miners hired by MTR sites, or the number of mining permits is really accurate)

And why did you change your question, you asked why jobs decreased from 1923 - 1963, and my opinion was that it was the depression. I dont think my simple answer is as amusing as the question you asked, If you knew the depression happened, why ask the question?

My opinion on why jobs where lost during your new time period (1943 - 1963) was answered in my last post, during world war 2 there was a huge demand for coal to power the "war machine". After world war 2, the demand for coal lightened up, and mechanization started to enter the mines, also oil and natural gas was beginning to be used over coal in many utility and industrial boilers. Also during that time children worked in the mines, the formations of unions, and child labor laws probably had a lot to due with the decline in jobs also.

A simple look at the recent trend

The price of coal stayed pretty stable for around the $20 per ton range for 2 decades starting in the 80's. This caused a lot of the small mines, who weren't really productive to shut down. Coal companies needed CHEAPER ways to produce coal, so MTR became the method of choice, fewer workers, more coal produced equals more profit, it's not really that hard to figure out. Thats why I believe my opinion on the RECENT decline in coal jobs, not declines in the 40's, is due to mtr (since it seems that you cant get anything out of something you read unless it's says yes or no, YES I BELIEVE THE RECENT DECLINE IN MINING JOBS IS DUE TO MTR, although the decline in mining jobs from that point on is largely due to mechanization.

?
I don't know exactly what you where trying to say in the post I labeled 1, but I think you meant that the slip in the economy is NOT due to mining. I never said that the coal industry is to blame for the downturn in the economy, I just said that I thought some miners may lose their jobs due to the slowdown in the economy.
Coach_Owens87 Wrote:First off why pull out quotes from me that I corrected later on and try to make me look bad. I corrected my incorrect post about the 57% decrease in mining jobs. So I don't think that bringing that up, and re-correcting what I already corrected really proves anything.

Nothing changed my mind on the government, I said I don't believe the MAJORITY of things they say, not EVERYTHING, slight difference. Plus, those where the newest stats I could find on the subject. If my facts are wrong why don't you challenge them, or did you even go to the link I provided. If you can find something valid that proves me wrong please show it to me, I would love see them. 45% of mining operations do hire 3 workers or less, also 80% of mining operations hire less than 20 workers, although these stats do include other forms of mining besides coal. I tried to find the number of surface mines in Ky or West Virginia, but I couldn't find anything, If I did I would have posted it. From what I could gather no one really knows, they also don't know exactly how many acres have been mined by MTR, the EPA and the MSHA does a horrible job keeping track of these things, so the stats I gave where the best I could find. ( I guess it would be more accurate to say that no stats on the number of miners hired by MTR sites, or the number of mining permits is really accurate)

And why did you change your question, you asked why jobs decreased from 1923 - 1963, and my opinion was that it was the depression. I dont think my simple answer is as amusing as the question you asked, If you knew the depression happened, why ask the question?

My opinion on why jobs where lost during your new time period (1943 - 1963) was answered in my last post, during world war 2 there was a huge demand for coal to power the "war machine". After world war 2, the demand for coal lightened up, and mechanization started to enter the mines, also oil and natural gas was beginning to be used over coal in many utility and industrial boilers. Also during that time children worked in the mines, the formations of unions, and child labor laws probably had a lot to due with the decline in jobs also.

A simple look at the recent trend

The price of coal stayed pretty stable for around the $20 per ton range for 2 decades starting in the 80's. This caused a lot of the small mines, who weren't really productive to shut down. Coal companies needed CHEAPER ways to produce coal, so MTR became the method of choice, fewer workers, more coal produced equals more profit, it's not really that hard to figure out. Thats why I believe my opinion on the RECENT decline in coal jobs, not declines in the 40's, is due to mtr (since it seems that you cant get anything out of something you read unless it's says yes or no, YES I BELIEVE THE RECENT DECLINE IN MINING JOBS IS DUE TO MTR, although the decline in mining jobs from that point on is largely due to mechanization.

?
I don't know exactly what you where trying to say in the post I labeled 1, but I think you meant that the slip in the economy is NOT due to mining. I never said that the coal industry is to blame for the downturn in the economy, I just said that I thought some miners may lose their jobs due to the slowdown in the economy.

First let me say thanks for bringing the error to my attention, I intended to say "but it's NOT due to the coal industry.

"Majority not Everything" Maybe you should just go ahead and say if it agrees with your views then it's right and if not then it's wrong. lol

Now your telling me two different stories in Post #20, you stated that "80% of all mining operation have less than 20 workers employed by the coal company". Then in your last post you said "80% of mining operations hire less than 20 workers, although these stats do include other forms of mining besides coal". First you say "by the coal company" then later it includes "other forms of mining besides coal". When you said "45% of mining operations have 3 people employed through the company", I'm assuming that this includes other forms of mining as well. Exactly what other forms of mining are we talking about here?

According to the U.S. Department of Labor the same one you provided a link to defines the Mining Industry of containing 5 main industry segments 1) Oil and Gas Extraction, 2) Coal Mining, 3) Metal Ore Mining, 4) Nonmetallic Mineral Mining and Quarring and 5) Support Activities for Mining. I will admit that I know very little about the operational part of Metal Ore Mining and Quarring and their employment needs, but I do know that there are some large oil and gas companies, and then there are hundreds or even thousands of individuals who employee only 1 or 2 people that take care of a few wells, which would statistically bring down employment numbers.

The bottom line is the statistics that you provided do not represent just coal companies, but also those of the oil and gas extraction, metal ore mining, nonmetallic mineral mining and quarring and support activities for mining, which makes your clam of 3 employees at 45% of the mines and 80% of the mines having less than 20 employees irrelevant.

According to the 2004 statistics Eastern Kentucky reported to have 185 surface mines with 4,901 employees (an average of 26.5 per mine) while 212 underground mines reported 8,371 employees (an average of 39.5 per mine). One thing that could not be determined by these reports was how much equipment was used at each mine, which would determine how many employees were needed an example would be with underground mines 1)How many are single miner sections? 2)How many are Super Sections? 3)How many working sections per mine? 4) How many longwall section? on the surface mine side 1) How many spreads of equipment are in operation? 2)How many contractors do they use ie clearing crews, reclamation crews etc.? IMO just to many questions for a true count.

Thank you for the yes or no answer....that wasn't so hard now was it.

I did not say you blamed the coal industry for the downturn in the economy, it was merely an observation that I was making with the increase in employment in the coal industry. IMO as long as the industry doesn't flood the market like they did in 2001 and 2002 and the demand for energy and foreign markets remain high, employment in the coal industry will also remain high.
Old School Wrote:First let me say thanks for bringing the error to my attention, I intended to say "but it's NOT due to the coal industry.

"Majority not Everything" Maybe you should just go ahead and say if it agrees with your views then it's right and if not then it's wrong. lol

Now your telling me two different stories in Post #20, you stated that "80% of all mining operation have less than 20 workers employed by the coal company". Then in your last post you said "80% of mining operations hire less than 20 workers, although these stats do include other forms of mining besides coal". First you say "by the coal company" then later it includes "other forms of mining besides coal". When you said "45% of mining operations have 3 people employed through the company", I'm assuming that this includes other forms of mining as well. Exactly what other forms of mining are we talking about here?

According to the U.S. Department of Labor the same one you provided a link to defines the Mining Industry of containing 5 main industry segments 1) Oil and Gas Extraction, 2) Coal Mining, 3) Metal Ore Mining, 4) Nonmetallic Mineral Mining and Quarring and 5) Support Activities for Mining. I will admit that I know very little about the operational part of Metal Ore Mining and Quarring and their employment needs, but I do know that there are some large oil and gas companies, and then there are hundreds or even thousands of individuals who employee only 1 or 2 people that take care of a few wells, which would statistically bring down employment numbers.

The bottom line is the statistics that you provided do not represent just coal companies, but also those of the oil and gas extraction, metal ore mining, nonmetallic mineral mining and quarring and support activities for mining, which makes your clam of 3 employees at 45% of the mines and 80% of the mines having less than 20 employees irrelevant.

According to the 2004 statistics Eastern Kentucky reported to have 185 surface mines with 4,901 employees (an average of 26.5 per mine) while 212 underground mines reported 8,371 employees (an average of 39.5 per mine). One thing that could not be determined by these reports was how much equipment was used at each mine, which would determine how many employees were needed an example would be with underground mines 1)How many are single miner sections? 2)How many are Super Sections? 3)How many working sections per mine? 4) How many longwall section? on the surface mine side 1) How many spreads of equipment are in operation? 2)How many contractors do they use ie clearing crews, reclamation crews etc.? IMO just to many questions for a true count.

Thank you for the yes or no answer....that wasn't so hard now was it.

I did not say you blamed the coal industry for the downturn in the economy, it was merely an observation that I was making with the increase in employment in the coal industry. IMO as long as the industry doesn't flood the market like they did in 2001 and 2002 and the demand for energy and foreign markets remain high, employment in the coal industry will also remain high.

No I dont just agree with things from the government that make me look correct, although it may seem that way at times. I just tend to be skeptical of things they say, and those where the only semi-reliable statistics I could find on the subject. From everything ive read, and this includes info from the EPA and the MSHA, no one really knows exactly how many surface mines are active in ky, so I tend to not trust things coming from either of those institutes, also I couldnt find anything from them.

If your stats are to be believed, the my theory on MTR being a cause of the decline in jobs is still true. According to your stats, surface mines hire 33% less workers than underground mines, pretty big difference.

Yes or No answers

No it isnt hard to give yes or no answers, but it also isnt hard to do some comprehensive reading and figure things out on your own. Just my opinion though. I really shouldnt have to give things to you in black and white.

I feel we should get back on topic of this thread. What was your opinion on the video old school, it provided a first hand close up look at some of the processes involved in strip mining. you said that most people hadnt gotten a first hand look at mining, and this video provided it, and from what I could tell, the people behind the video are against mtr? what are your thoughts on this?

Also I think im done with this post, ive got better things to do, like study for some big exams ive got coming up/
Coach_Owens87 Wrote:No I dont just agree with things from the government that make me look correct, although it may seem that way at times. I just tend to be skeptical of things they say, and those where the only semi-reliable statistics I could find on the subject. From everything ive read, and this includes info from the EPA and the MSHA, no one really knows exactly how many surface mines are active in ky, so I tend to not trust things coming from either of those institutes, also I couldnt find anything from them.

If your stats are to be believed, the my theory on MTR being a cause of the decline in jobs is still true. According to your stats, surface mines hire 33% less workers than underground mines, pretty big difference.

Yes or No answers

No it isnt hard to give yes or no answers, but it also isnt hard to do some comprehensive reading and figure things out on your own. Just my opinion though. I really shouldnt have to give things to you in black and white.

I feel we should get back on topic of this thread. What was your opinion on the video old school, it provided a first hand close up look at some of the processes involved in strip mining. you said that most people hadnt gotten a first hand look at mining, and this video provided it, and from what I could tell, the people behind the video are against mtr? what are your thoughts on this?

Also I think im done with this post, ive got better things to do, like study for some big exams ive got coming up/

I posted the information about the number of surface and underground mines because you said that you could not find them anywhere, and did you read the rest of my post where I said that there were to many unanswered questions to obtain a true count.

Why in the world would someone want to give answers that could be easily misunderstood or taken the wrong way, when it is just as easy to get straight to the point, and we would all experience alot less confussion.

In my opinion your still convinced that 45% of mining operations employee 3 people or less and that surface jobs will make larger profits, I did a little research and came up with this. It would take a 3 man crew working 5 - 10 hour days, 3 weeks to uncover an 1/2 acre coal pit with a BCY/Ton ratio of 12:1, and another week to remove the coal. Here's a list of equipment that would be needed to operate a surface mine with 3 employees, 1-Wheel Loader, 1-Rock Truck, 1-D11/10 Dozer, 1-Drill, 1-Escavator, 1-Coal Loader, 1-Road Grader, 2-Powder Trucks, 1-Mechanic Truck, 1-Fuel/Service Truck, now altgether this equipment would probably cost around 6 Million Dollars. Since you only have three employees you'll only be working one shift which means that this equipment should last 7 years or so. If the coal seam averaged to 42" to 48" inches thick you would have about 3,500 tons, which would give you a monthly revenue of $175,000 if it sold for $50 per ton. Now let's take a look at your expenditures per month.
1) Equipment - $90,000 (estimated with 8% interset)
2) Fuel - 50,000 (based on 600 gallons per day @ $3.85 per gal)
3) Taxes - Coal 20,000
4) Coal Transportation - 28,000 (depending on the distance hauled)
5) Wages - *** 20,000 (accounting for Foreman, Blaster, Mechanic/ Op.)
6) Royaltys - 13,000
7) Maintenance - 15,000
8) Explosives - 15,000
9) Taxes - Wages 7,000
10) Insurance - 5,000
11) Misc. Exp 10,000 (Engineering, etc.)
Total Expenditure $293,000 per month

I know I've missed items and while this little exercise is not exact, it is close and it shows that a coal company that only employees 3 people cannot produce enough coal to be profitable.

Expenditures $293,000 per mo. - Revenue $175,000 per mo. = BANKRUPTCY

*** Even with only three employees their still has to be a certified surface foreman and a certified blaster, also one will have to be a mechanic/welder.

I will get back with you in a day or so on the video.
Did anyone get a chance to read the letters to the editor in today's Herald Leader, these were all postive response's to the mining industry and their rally in Frankfort a couple of weeks ago, in all the Herald Leader printed about 8 of these letters and had recieved more than 60 other similar responses this past week alone.

http://www.kentucky.com/595/story/367330.html
To those posting here...

Wow!

Intelligent & thoughtful replies with lots of passion...
===============
I'm new here, and I posted a topic that got me in a little hot water a few weeks ago so I've been quiet. Student rioters started getting out of hand. I didn't bleep out the language To anyone offended by my "raw" reporting style on this or any other of my many local videos I apologize.

I'm going to tip-toe around this coal mine one rather than add to it to avoid getting into more trouble. However I am pleased to see that many sides of this complex issue are being discussed. I think you can get a feel for my stand from the video.

I have been reading your off site links to other information. Good posts everyone. Don't play too rough okay? I'll get in trouble.

I'll try to bring more Kentucky related issues to the board later but for now I think I'll throw in a little comedy as a new post.

In tune with this string...
Ping =^.^=

P.S. For those of you that like my "raw" style of reporting that may be of a mature content nature you know how to find them. COPPA restrictions are in force to protect children from mature content. Let us know if you find content that should be protected in unprotected zones.