Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Pre-Season Coach's Poll
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pre-Season Poll - March 6, 2008

1. Pleasure Ridge Park 497
2. Paul Dunbar 447
3. Lexington Catholic 445
4. Apollo 235
5. Tates Creek 167
6. Lexington Christian 138
7. Heath 125
8. Henderson County 104
9. Eastern 97
10. Henry Clay 92
11. Trinity 90
12. Male 86
13. St. Xavier 76
14. Owensboro Catholic 74
15. Harrison County 72
16. Ballard 70
17. Elizabethtown 69
18. Boyd County (16th)36
19. Christian County 32
20. Somerset 30
21. Covington Catholic 29
22. West Jessamine 27
23. Lawrence County (15th) 26
24. Shelby County 25
25. Beechwood 20

Others Receiving Votes — Greenup County 18, Mercer County 17, Daviess County 16, George Rogers Clark 16, Bowling Green 15, Ryle 14, Central Hardin 11, Paintsville 10, Louisville Holy Cross 9, Boone County 8, Boyle County 8, Grayson County 8, Lafayette 8, Ohio County 8, Rockcastle County 8, Hopkins County Central 7, Franklin-Simpson 6, Greenwood 6, North Laurel 6, Perry County Central 6, Taylor County 6, Barren County 5, Bishop Brossart 5, Butler 5, North Hardin 5, Seneca 5, South Oldham 5, Newport Central Catholic 4, Danville 3, Lincoln County 3, Madisonville-N. Hopkins 3, Warren Central 3, Corbin 2, Franklin County 2, Marion County 2, Owensboro 2, Anderson County 1, Bell County 1, Butler County 1, DuPont Manual 1, Estill County 1, Henry County 1, Johnson Central 1, St. Henry 1
I can't believe Powell didn't get a vote to be in the top 25! Oh well, list looks good though
WOW! Lawrence @ 23. Actually could be accurate, but expected to see Paintsville in there somewhere. I guess everybody seen that Shelby County was a fluke last year. Not too many teams get state runner-up and then come out at #24. I'm glad the 15th region is represented though. I honestly can't see how Boyd is that high up though. After everything they lost, not too mention getting beat out last season in the region.
I can't wait to see Lawrence play. I think they will have one heck of a year. They barely lost anyone last year. Return some excellent players. Good luck Dawgs.
OMG Wrote:WOW! Lawrence @ 23. Actually could be accurate, but expected to see Paintsville in there somewhere. I guess everybody seen that Shelby County was a fluke last year. Not too many teams get state runner-up and then come out at #24. I'm glad the 15th region is represented though. I honestly can't see how Boyd is that high up though. After everything they lost, not too mention getting beat out last season in the region.

Why would you expect to see Paintsville in the top 25 , they went out early in the district in a weak region last season...Not saying they might not have a good season this year but I'm surprised they got 10 votes pre season.....I think boyd is too high and greenup too low.....

does anyone know if the Osbourne kid from the valley sport ll championship team plays for PRP ?
INSIGHT Wrote:Why would you expect to see Paintsville in the top 25 , they went out early in the district in a weak region last season...Not saying they might not have a good season this year but I'm surprised they got 10 votes pre season.....I think boyd is too high and greenup too low.....

does anyone know if the Osbourne kid from the valley sport ll championship team plays for PRP ?

Weak Region? In baseball the 15th region has lately been the best region in the mountains. Last year for most of the season they had 3 teams ranked in the top 25.(LC, P-Ville, JCHS). All those are in the same district and that is why Paintsville was beat out. It will be the same this season, one of those 3 won't make it. I agree Boyd is too high, but so is Greenup. They lost 6 seniors last year and really only have one consistent picther this year.
Yeah, Osbourne is still there at SS. Voted All-State last year as a Jr and was voted as a Top 50 in Ky this season. Has been overshadowed by another "Zack" on this team, in Zack Cox, one of the top P in the state. I believe there are 2 other players off that World Series team still on the PRP team, in Wes Walden and Justin Elkins. Pretty sure Walden plays quite a bit, but I not sure on Elkins.
OMG Wrote:Weak Region? In baseball the 15th region has lately been the best region in the mountains. Last year for most of the season they had 3 teams ranked in the top 25.(LC, P-Ville, JCHS). All those are in the same district and that is why Paintsville was beat out. It will be the same this season, one of those 3 won't make it. I agree Boyd is too high, but so is Greenup. They lost 6 seniors last year and really only have one consistent picther this year.

yes... weak region compared to the rest of the state not just the mountains
thats what the top 25 poll is. "entire state" and I undestand paintsville had a tough district....and imo they were the best team in the region last season but did not prove it in the end and therfore I'm surprised they received as many votes as they did....again I'm not saying they are not going to be good this year ...simply surprised at the preseason poll...
INSIGHT Wrote:yes... weak region compared to the rest of the state not just the mountains
thats what the top 25 poll is. "entire state" and I undestand paintsville had a tough district....and imo they were the best team in the region last season but did not prove it in the end and therfore I'm surprised they received as many votes as they did....again I'm not saying they are not going to be good this year ...simply surprised at the preseason poll...

The point I was trying to make is Boyd got beat out as well. They are some how ranked #18. Lost a ton of seniors as did Greenup. I will give Lawrence County this though. After looking at last years record and the final eight from last year. Out of the final 8 in the state LC beat...Johnson Central, Ryle, Shelby County(state runner-up) beat them 15-2, and Greenup. Not too mention they did beat Boyd as well. So I wouldn't be surprised if they were ranked higher. I really wish Paintsville would play that type of schedule.
OMG Wrote:The point I was trying to make is Boyd got beat out as well. They are some how ranked #18. Lost a ton of seniors as did Greenup. I will give Lawrence County this though. After looking at last years record and the final eight from last year. Out of the final 8 in the state LC beat...Johnson Central, Ryle, Shelby County(state runner-up) beat them 15-2, and Greenup. Not too mention they did beat Boyd as well. So I wouldn't be surprised if they were ranked higher. I really wish Paintsville would play that type of schedule.

Paintsville does not seem to travel much..mostly home games..I hear however that they will play in florida during their spring break....they played a good oak ridge tn. team last season as well as boyd. butler. greenup and they played
dunbar in pre season I believe..... but need stronger schedule to get recognition..
INSIGHT Wrote:Paintsville does not seem to travel much..mostly home games..I hear however that they will play in florida during their spring break....they played a good oak ridge tn. team last season as well as boyd. butler. greenup and they played
dunbar in pre season I believe..... but need stronger schedule to get recognition..

Yea your right, but Butler ended up being really bad and the others are just normal teams they always play, but they are competitive.
Boyd is ranked to high
What i here when Paintsville travels south to play in Flordia they are playing on of the top teams in the nation. I have no clue who it is. But what i here they did win the national champ. a coupel years ago and are still a top teamin the nation. But that is just what i hered.
I would also like to see paintsville play a tougher schedual. It will only help them in the long run.
brown14 Wrote:What i here when Paintsville travels south to play in Flordia they are playing on of the top teams in the nation. I have no clue who it is. But what i here they did win the national champ. a coupel years ago and are still a top teamin the nation. But that is just what i hered.
I would also like to see paintsville play a tougher schedual. It will only help them in the long run.
When did they start having a high school baseball national championship tournament?
Mr.Kimball Wrote:When did they start having a high school baseball national championship tournament?

Do they even have a tournament like that for summer ball?
Did anybody notice on the KHSBCA website that somebody gave Lawrence County a first place vote? Their not aloud to vote for their own team are they?
OMG Wrote:Do they even have a tournament like that for summer ball?

Nope!

THere are many organizations that have national tournaments such as CABA, NABF, USSSA, Connie Mack, Stan Musial, etc. but not a tournament designated specificly for the purpose determining a national high school champion.

Perhaps the poster is meaning a particular high school team that could have had a mythical #1 rating such as in a USA Today poll or something similar.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:Nope!

THere are many organizations that have national tournaments such as CABA, NABF, USSSA, Connie Mack, Stan Musial, etc. but not a tournament designated specificly for the purpose determining a national high school champion.

Perhaps the poster is meaning a particular high school team that could have had a mythical #1 rating such as in a USA Today poll or something similar.

Oh I get it the ol' hypothetical National Championship scenerio. Well since there isn't a tournament i'll go out on a limb and say that Paintsville will win the national championship this year. haha!
Mr.Kimball Wrote:Nope!

http://www.seminolewarhawksbaseball.com/
Over on the left part of the screen. The very last link says 2001 Warhawk Champs.
Click that link, and it shows that they were state champions in 2001, and national champions in 2001. Not sure on how they claimed the National Champions title, but that's what it says according to their website.
Pupaw Wrote:http://www.seminolewarhawksbaseball.com/
Over on the left part of the screen. The very last link says 2001 Warhawk Champs.
Click that link, and it shows that they were state champions in 2001, and national champions in 2001. Not sure on how they claimed the National Champions title, but that's what it says according to their website.
There's no doubt that what you see on their website is anything short of astounding.

However I'm like you, I dont know how they could have been determined to hold a national championship title, unless it indeed was a title derived from a media based poll. The thing that makes me tend to believe that it would just about have to be derived in that manner would be the final record of 31-0. I dont have a clue as to how many regular season games that high school teams are allowed to play in Florida, but considering the favorable weather conditions that exist , 31 total games dosn't sound like very many games to play to be crowned a state campion, let alone add on the games that it would take to go through a national tournament. How many games would have to be played if it were nothing more than a single elimination tournament? There would have to be a bunch. You can be sure that whatever wins that the school would have won in that type of tournament would have to be added to their season totals. Also the state of Florida has a class system. How could you determine which team out of each class could qualify to play in some sort of a national tournament. Most states all over the United States are also divided into classes. How would you determine which teams would advance from the other states as well. It would literally be impossible to hold a national tournament. You also have to consider that school is basicly over for all schools right after, and in some cases before, their state champions are crowned. Players all across the United States all head straight to their summer teams immediately after their state tournaments are over. Also, 2001 was the year in which Boyd Co was the Kentucky State champs. I cannot recall them ever playing in any tournament after their Kentucky school season was over, as well as I dont remember any other team prior to or since participating in any such event either.

Never the less, the team that you will be playing is no doubt a very talented and apparently a traditional Florida State power. I find it very impressive that the Paintsville staff would schedule themselves against such formidable competition. So good luck against them, and always remember and cherish these events.
Yea that was a poll based championshipt. they ended the year still number 1 and so thats where they got that.
OMG Wrote:Weak Region? In baseball the 15th region has lately been the best region in the mountains. Last year for most of the season they had 3 teams ranked in the top 25.(LC, P-Ville, JCHS). All those are in the same district and that is why Paintsville was beat out. It will be the same this season, one of those 3 won't make it. I agree Boyd is too high, but so is Greenup. They lost 6 seniors last year and really only have one consistent picther this year.

Greenup only had 4 seniors last year , 1 was hurt all season except for the final game of the regular season and then post season. Another one missed about 8-10 games. So Greenup only had 2 seniors that played all year. As for the pitching, they only lost one starter, So the pitching should still be pretty strong. I do believe that they should have been in the top 25, with all the players they had returning from the team that went to state. Boyd lost alot of pitching and great players. I believe they got put in on name only.
rgdad Wrote:Greenup only had 4 seniors last year , 1 was hurt all season except for the final game of the regular season and then post season. Another one missed about 8-10 games. So Greenup only had 2 seniors that played all year. As for the pitching, they only lost one starter, So the pitching should still be pretty strong. I do believe that they should have been in the top 25, with all the players they had returning from the team that went to state. Boyd lost alot of pitching and great players. I believe they got put in on name only.

I agree with you about Boyd I was expecting them to be down this year, but I will say this again you can never count Boyd out. They have great coaching and they are always in the mix of things in the post season. However, Greenup is not as good offensively this year. The reason I say this is based on their scrimmage with LC. Either LC is just that good or they did not hit very well. I think someone told me the final score was 19-6.
How about those Dawgs getting a 1st Place vote... But I was expecting to at least see them in the Top 15...I could see the Dawgs playing in Applebees this season
Lawrence will arguably be the best team in that region. I don't think they lost much last year. They have excellent pitching and can flat out hit the ball 1-9. I agree with Triple Crown. This is definitely a team you could see at Applebee's. I hope they get the chance. They sure deserve it.
No love for the 13th
Lawrence should have been higher...
Give it some time and they will make some noise and move up where they should be.
RedSeal Wrote:Lawrence should have been higher...
Give it some time and they will make some noise and move up where they should be.
Yes sir!!!!:Thumbs:
lawerence is hands down in the 15th
OMG Wrote:I agree with you about Boyd I was expecting them to be down this year, but I will say this again you can never count Boyd out. They have great coaching and they are always in the mix of things in the post season. However, Greenup is not as good offensively this year. The reason I say this is based on their scrimmage with LC. Either LC is just that good or they did not hit very well. I think someone told me the final score was 19-6.

I never count boyd out in baseball. But they will be down compared to other years. I think LC was strong last year and sounds like even stronger this year. I look for them to win the 15th region. But anything can happen during tournament time, that is what makes it so great.