Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Raceland powerlifting meet
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
There was alot of strong kids there. Robby Logan from raceland is a beast.
Does anyone else besides me think these "power lifts " are silly?
I mean....have they ever got anybody a Prom date or anything?
The Guru Wrote:Does anyone else besides me think these "power lifts " are silly?

:confused: Smile Smile
What were some of the numbers (bench, clean, deadlift)?
The Guru Wrote:Does anyone else besides me think these "power lifts " are silly?

Regardless of what people say, the weight training and conditioning peroid of the offseason is the hardest part. Even though everyone says they are working for next year, its still hard maintain focus and give all effort when something still seems so far away. These Wieght Meets are a way to keep kids energized and allows them to compete for their team and schools. It will interested kids in lifting and give them an insentive when others will struggle to maintain focus and dedication to the Wieght Room.

that makes absolutley no sence what so ever..but if i can try and grasp what your saying, i think its just a good way to go lift and have some fun and see how your school fares up with other schools around the region or state.
thecoacher Wrote:What were some of the numbers (bench, clean, deadlift)?

Drew Abrams from russell benched 325 power cleaned 240 and deadlifted 500
highschoolfootballfan Wrote:Drew Abrams from russell benched 325 power cleaned 240 and deadlifted 500

What position does he play?
Brooks4Prez Wrote:What position does he play?

RB and SS
Drew is a beast and i can not wait to see him on the field this year. I think that alot of people who have seen Ivan lee and are impressed with him,,, will be amazed at Drew this year. Drew should be the feature back but will have 3 other backs in the backfield that will tear you up too........
Man I can not wait to see them next year....
highschoolfootballfan Wrote:Drew Abrams from russell benched 325 power cleaned 240 and deadlifted 500

He may want to work on the power clean and try to up that to about 285. It is, as I asume you know, an explosion lift that has a good indication of your overall speed and athleticism. With proper technique and training and some extra focus on the lats and traps, maybe a little bit of barbell high pulls depending on his military and power presses, he should be able to get that no problem. Some colleges look at that type of stuff. But as for everything else depending on his height&weight, sounds like he is a moose.
DALE Wrote:He may want to work on the power clean and try to up that to about 285. It is, as I asume you know, an explosion lift that has a good indication of your overall speed and athleticism. With proper technique and training and some extra focus on the lats and traps, maybe a little bit of barbell high pulls depending on his military and power presses, he should be able to get that no problem. Some colleges look at that type of stuff. But as for everything else depending on his height&weight, sounds like he is a moose.

I have tried telling him he needs to worry more about the legs than what the ladies like haha, but he has been working on his legs hard...he went on a unofficial visit to western kentucky last saturday..but they did not ask for any maxes
I had heard that the teams finished as follows in the meet at Raceland.

1. Raceland
2. Russell
3. East Carter
4. Greenup County
5. Green, Oh.
Some of the results from the Raceland kids were:

Best lift ratio for body weigh to pounds lifted in the three lifts - John Scott Carver.
Most weight lifted for all three lifts - Robbie Logan
Won their respective weight division - J.S. Carver, Rob Logan, Bret Denton, Dalton Terry, Ralph Burchett.
(there could have been more, this was all that I had heard and didn't hear any numbers/weight lifted)

Being a "Ram fan"I am glad to see the Raceland kids working hard in the weight room. :thumpsup:
Is this an honest statement? Lifting weights is a very vital part to teams play in the season. This is why some school are so superior to others in sports such as Football or even Baseball. You don't just show up at sign-ups and say "Hey I think I am going to play this sport." It requires time and effort in the off-season.
I heard the Devils made a very decent showing. Cordle, Abrams, Miller, Blevins, Smith.
Where did the Devils place in the meet??
3yards+cod Wrote:I had heard that the teams finished as follows in the meet at Raceland.

1. Raceland
2. Russell
3. East Carter
4. Greenup County
5. Green, Oh.

DEVILOLOGIST Wrote:Where did the Devils place in the meet??

There ya go!
I meant individually in weight class? I can read the team finish MIDEE1
The Joker Wrote:Is this an honest statement? Lifting weights is a very vital part to teams play in the season. This is why some school are so superior to others in sports such as Football or even Baseball. You don't just show up at sign-ups and say "Hey I think I am going to play this sport." It requires time and effort in the off-season.

I don't think some of ya understand where Guru was goin with that statement. He wasn't sayin weightliftin in general was silly, he was sayin the MEETS were silly.
DALE Wrote:He may want to work on the power clean and try to up that to about 285. It is, as I asume you know, an explosion lift that has a good indication of your overall speed and athleticism. With proper technique and training and some extra focus on the lats and traps, maybe a little bit of barbell high pulls depending on his military and power presses, he should be able to get that no problem. Some colleges look at that type of stuff. But as for everything else depending on his height&weight, sounds like he is a moose.

Very true DALE. When I was at Pikeville College, out strength coach was obsessed with power cleans and hang cleans. I had never done either before I went up there. I had good technique but could only get about 225 at first. By the time I left there 2 years later, I was gettin 330 on power cleans. Explosion lifts and squats are way more important than bench press. Kids don't realize this. Most think if they can bench press 300 pounds thats they need which is not the case. LEGS LEGS LEGS is where it's at. Don't get me wrong, its great to strong in the chest, but how often do you use that strength unless you are a DL/OL.
DEVILOLOGIST Wrote:I meant individually in weight class? I can read the team finish MIDEE1

Well you didn't say that now did you?:p
How many divisions where there ?
Congrats to Todd Selvage too for his placement at the meet.
OKAY if anyone knows the winners in each class please post them.
I heard that the Russell Boys won their classes is this right??