Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Powell 50 Lee 44
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Powell starts off the district tournament with a victory over Lee. Close game, down to the wire, and a fun game to watch! Great win by the Lady Pirates and good luck on Thursday!
Great job Ladys. Let's take it to em.
Another year same ole story at Powell. Fouls were 28 to 9 in favor of Powell. If you counted fous for the whole game Lee still never gets into the double bonus. Lee fought hard and should have won but couldn't overcome Powells 6th, 7th, and 8th man.
well you got your oppion but powells girls were getting killed... Lee deserved every foul that was called if not more!.... Lee did nothing but play D with there hands and powell didn't! There was no over the back calls at all on #44 and she came over the back everytime
Sounded like Lee missed a lot of layups and wide open shots on the radio, the announcers kept talking about all the open layups and wide open shots they were missing, getting 4 and 5 shots at a time and just couldn't make one. Sounds like Powell wasn't playing any defense at all, no reason they didn't have to call any fouls, hard for anyone to call fouls if no one is playing defense around girls shooting wide open shots. It also sounded like Powell was getting killed on a lot of shots they were taking and only about half of the fouls were called, so instead of 28-9 maybe it should of been 50-9, also it sounded like every trip there was 2 or 3 held balls, this could of been a record for held balls in a game, was very sloppy. And one more thing, for all of you announcers, coaches and fans, all of you want to call over the back, well guess what, "THERE IS NO SUCH THING", look it up in a rule book, it's not there, just because you have a tall girl standing behind a smaller girl, doesn't mean that the taller girl can't reach up and get a ball that the smaller girl can't reach. Sorry, just not going to get that call from most officials. So from what it sounded like from the announcers, neither team was happy which is typical of a 56th district team. Always complaining about something, and the same will be true of tonight's boys game. Win or lose, all will have something to complain about.
Also....i believe that there were 14 jump balls in the game. Sounds like the refs tried to make it fair to me....my goodness.
JOBAKKA Wrote:Another year same ole story at Powell. Fouls were 28 to 9 in favor of Powell. If you counted fous for the whole game Lee still never gets into the double bonus. Lee fought hard and should have won but couldn't overcome Powells 6th, 7th, and 8th man.

My god...powell beat your bobcats once again and you cannot give them a congrats...the game was a very rough game and powell just out played lee ..... GET OVER IT!!!!!
Congrats, this is a good win for Powell
mountain hoops guru Wrote:Sounded like Lee missed a lot of layups and wide open shots on the radio, the announcers kept talking about all the open layups and wide open shots they were missing, getting 4 and 5 shots at a time and just couldn't make one. Sounds like Powell wasn't playing any defense at all, no reason they didn't have to call any fouls, hard for anyone to call fouls if no one is playing defense around girls shooting wide open shots. It also sounded like Powell was getting killed on a lot of shots they were taking and only about half of the fouls were called, so instead of 28-9 maybe it should of been 50-9, also it sounded like every trip there was 2 or 3 held balls, this could of been a record for held balls in a game, was very sloppy. And one more thing, for all of you announcers, coaches and fans, all of you want to call over the back, well guess what, "THERE IS NO SUCH THING", look it up in a rule book, it's not there, just because you have a tall girl standing behind a smaller girl, doesn't mean that the taller girl can't reach up and get a ball that the smaller girl can't reach. Sorry, just not going to get that call from most officials. So from what it sounded like from the announcers, neither team was happy which is typical of a 56th district team. Always complaining about something, and the same will be true of tonight's boys game. Win or lose, all will have something to complain about.

When a player puts a but in the other player and blocks them out and they have to come OVER THERE BACK to get the ball it's called a over the back! you need to look harder in the rule book
mountain hoops guru Wrote:Sounded like Lee missed a lot of layups and wide open shots on the radio, the announcers kept talking about all the open layups and wide open shots they were missing, getting 4 and 5 shots at a time and just couldn't make one. Sounds like Powell wasn't playing any defense at all, no reason they didn't have to call any fouls, hard for anyone to call fouls if no one is playing defense around girls shooting wide open shots. It also sounded like Powell was getting killed on a lot of shots they were taking and only about half of the fouls were called, so instead of 28-9 maybe it should of been 50-9, also it sounded like every trip there was 2 or 3 held balls, this could of been a record for held balls in a game, was very sloppy. And one more thing, for all of you announcers, coaches and fans, all of you want to call over the back, well guess what, "THERE IS NO SUCH THING", look it up in a rule book, it's not there, just because you have a tall girl standing behind a smaller girl, doesn't mean that the taller girl can't reach up and get a ball that the smaller girl can't reach. Sorry, just not going to get that call from most officials. So from what it sounded like from the announcers, neither team was happy which is typical of a 56th district team. Always complaining about something, and the same will be true of tonight's boys game. Win or lose, all will have something to complain about.
THE POWELL HOME COURT ADVANTADGE CONTINUES. And who said it was a new day and new faces at Powell, The Powell girls played a great game and I am not trying to take anything away from them. By the way 44 fouled out and only played a little more than 6 minutes in the whole game. It would be no suprise to see a 50 to 9 advantadge at Powell it would be the norm.

Yeah, and every other district don't have nothing to complain about right? I mean the 56th district is soooo bad.
bobcatfan22 Wrote:My god...powell beat your bobcats once again and you cannot give them a congrats...the game was a very rough game and powell just out played lee ..... GET OVER IT!!!!!

Very well said. I swear, when Powell beats another team, they always have something to say about it. Has something to say about Powell gets all the calls.
Canttopthis Wrote:When a player puts a but in the other player and blocks them out and they have to come OVER THERE BACK to get the ball it's called a over the back! you need to look harder in the rule book

Wrong again! There is no call in basketball called "over the back." What you described is a would be called a pushing foul.
Choogler Wrote:Wrong again! There is no call in basketball called "over the back." What you described is a would be called a pushing foul.

If a player jumps straight up and keeps his/her arms straight, that's one thing. But to "wedge" in (push a bit) and to reach over the shoulders of the other player, making contact body to body, call it "a little lovin'" if you need to, but it should consistently be a foul.
thecavemaster Wrote:If a player jumps straight up and keeps his/her arms straight, that's one thing. But to "wedge" in (push a bit) and to reach over the shoulders of the other player, making contact body to body, call it "a little lovin'" if you need to, but it should consistently be a foul.

Here is the rule. A players spot goes from the floor to the ceiling straing up. If a player is in the air, they have no "spot" therefore reaching over someone in the air without contact is no foul. If player A is standing on the ground and player b goes over his back, head, etc... to get the ball, its a foul because you disrupted the players "spot" and he wasn't able to go up to get the rebound. Kind of complicated.
Choogler Wrote:Here is the rule. A players spot goes from the floor to the ceiling straing up. If a player is in the air, they have no "spot" therefore reaching over someone in the air without contact is no foul. If player A is standing on the ground and player b goes over his back, head, etc... to get the ball, its a foul because you disrupted the players "spot" and he wasn't able to go up to get the rebound. Kind of complicated.

The principle of verticality suggests that the player has a right to the "spot" in a vertical line above them, else a player could shove a player in the air or yank their pants down, for that matter, with no foul being called.
No, reread my post. If player A is in the air, the space above him is no longer his spot. The space can be disrupted, not the player. Trust me.
Although he must be given space to land.
Choogler Wrote:No, reread my post. If player A is in the air, the space above him is no longer his spot. The space can be disrupted, not the player. Trust me.

Space is a nebulus concept. When the player behind jumps a bit forward, nudges the player in front (usually with the lower body) just enough to gain an advantage, that's a foul. It may not be a "foul" in the post Pitino at Kentucky "foul a hundred times they can only call ten" era, but it's a foul.
I dont care about the over the back it's just a point ... Everyone needs to get over there selfs and chill out ... Powell beat Lee AGIN!!! So SHUT up about powell
I'm sorry, but I thought this was a forum where you could voice your opinion about what you thought about the game, how players played, officials, etc. Just because someone says something about "your" team doesn't mean you have to get offensive about it. I agree that it is kinda ridiculous to have 28 fouls to 9. Good win by the Pirates, but no one has to shut up about Powell, cause this is what BGR was made for. To discuss the game.
Canttopthis Wrote:I dont care about the over the back it's just a point ... Everyone needs to get over there selfs and chill out ... Powell beat Lee AGIN!!! So SHUT up about powell
I understand your embarrasment
YouNeverKnow Wrote:I'm sorry, but I thought this was a forum where you could voice your opinion about what you thought about the game, how players played, officials, etc. Just because someone says something about "your" team doesn't mean you have to get offensive about it. I agree that it is kinda ridiculous to have 28 fouls to 9. Good win by the Pirates, but no one has to shut up about Powell, cause this is what BGR was made for. To discuss the game.

Yes, to discuss the game. Not to bash Powell because a few calls didn't go Lee Countys way. Powell beat Lee, get over it everybody!
Bash, Bash, Bash that is the cry when someones points out a opinion that don't fit thiers. No one bashed anyone or called anyone a name or accused anyone of any wrong. I just pointed out a fact. And I know facts is not what you want to hear. So when the facts are embarrasing just cry BASHING. That makes sense and gives creditability to yuor opinion.
FYI No one is crying you all are the ones seems like that are crying you lost get use to it you should be by now!
I still have a tear in my eye JOBAKKA does that mean I'm crying.
Lee must of really come to play the other night to keep the score this close after all the hype I have heard about powell I guess its either not true or Lee really played there hearts out that night considering I have seen Lee play not to say anything against either team just my opinion on things.
sportsfan5 Wrote:Lee must of really come to play the other night to keep the score this close after all the hype I have heard about powell I guess its either not true or Lee really played there hearts out that night considering I have seen Lee play not to say anything against either team just my opinion on things.

If Powell was playing with their starting Point Guard that they lost you could have added 10 or more to the ending score. And you prolly heard that hype before she was hurt. But im pretty sure that Powell beat Lee and Powell gets to play at least two more games and Lee is sitting at the house. But i guess it was the refs fault huh? Always trying to take away what these girls have worked hard to get.