Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: JR VanHoose article
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
While digging up some information about the past Tiger teams I ran across this article. It's a good, but long, read about his recruiting process towards the end of his high school days. A lot of it has to deal with how many people think he wasn't taken serious by Rick Pitino because of where he was from. One thing in the article that I found entertaining was that, as many of you know JR is a Civil War history buff, on his visit to Indiana he got quizzed by "The General" Bobby Knight, another very intelligent person about any type of history, about his knowledge on the subject.

http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1G1-19084169.html
Hmmm, so HE'S the one that took that yard away from me??? :letsfight
Nah, it's cool, I was a year or 2 removed from 4th St by then. Big Grin
Nice find, man. A good 10 minute read, but well worth it. Lot of good stuff in there I hadn't heard.
Nice article! I still believe JR would have done well at UK! Passing up JR and our Mr. Basketball players every year sets a bad precedent and you now can see where that has gotten us! They are used against us by the Vanderbilt's and Tennessee's out there. I agree that it takes more than a team of Kentucky players for UK to be among the best, but you have to have a few and especially the Mr. Basketball's and top rated players.
Great article. JR had an outstanding high school career, and a great college career as well. If I'm not mistaken, he was 2nd the NCAA his Senior Year at Marshall in double-doubles (20).
i wonder why he didnt go to IU???
BASKETBALLFAN01 Wrote:i wonder why he didnt go to IU???

Dan Dakich, the assisstant coach that was recruiting me hard and who I really liked, got the head coaching job at Bowling Green State University. If he would have stayed at Indiana, I probably would have been there!
That was a great article..
great article!!! j.r. you were honestly a joy to watch during your career and i wish you all the luck in the world at coaching...i know if you put as much passion into coaching as you did playing you will be very successful as a coach...