Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Harlan County High Black Bears
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Any predictions for the new Harlan Co. Black Bears?
Predictions of players and their positions??
no predictions. But they will be good next year and even better after that.
They will have a big advantage over their opponents.
I'm not trying to "thread jack" this thread... but am curious as to how they arrived @ the Black Bear as their "mascot".
i guess they have a good population of black bears.
i live in harlan, and if i'm remembering correctly they had 3 different choices for the mascot, the high school name, and the school colors that the public voted on, i think that one of them was coal miners, the black bears and then something else... and the black bears won.. i could be wrong, but i know thats how they started out at first with it.

and we do have some black bears here, mostly up at kingdom come state park.
Harlan Co also has Black MTN.

The highest point in The Bluegrass State!
I think that the Black Bears is a unique mascot, I like it. As for a prediction for the season, it's always a toss up as to what kind of season it will be in the first year of a consolidation.
I love the nickname myself! Different for sure! I just wish teams would go with another name instead of the County name and the Central added on. But talking football, I believe they will be a pretty solid team and will be loaded in a couple of years after having a great middle school program the last 2 years!~
PLAYBOY5 Wrote:I love the nickname myself! Different for sure! I just wish teams would go with another name instead of the County name and the Central added on. But talking football, I believe they will be a pretty solid team and will be loaded in a couple of years after having a great middle school program the last 2 years!~
I totally agree, your saying like Paul Dunbar HS right, it sounds much better with someones name!
The name Southern Hills was a choice.... which I liked... but Harlan County High is what was voted on.

The mascot was officially Knights for a while, but parents and students went back and petitioned Bears (Black Bears).
What Class and District are they gonna be in?
Black Bears is pretty cool, but why not just Bears?
The Harlan County Black Bears are "Black Bears" I guess because that is what we have here. I know I only call them the Bears and I imagine a lot of people in Harlan only call them Bears. They will be a 5A school but will be playing Cawood High Schools 2A or 3A schedule. There is a another discussion about that on this site.
i think this year they'll be in 3A and will play in the district with powell, estill, and breathitt. then they'll move to 5A next year
Harlan County has a great shot at having a good season, while im not real familar with their players but when you combine three schools(two of them with winning records) you have a great shot a winning.

What kind of facilities does Harlan County have, are they just playing at one of the old schools fields.???
Sadly we have to use Cawood's old field temporarily BUT they have given it a "face lift". The stands have been painted and the field totally redone. I was out there today and you can see the grass is getting greener! Both physically and figuratively! lol

I can't wait to see the boys take that field for the first time together as a team!
Jshort5 Wrote:I totally agree, your saying like Paul Dunbar HS right, it sounds much better with someones name!
I thought the name East Ridge was very nice when they built it
Mama Bear Wrote:Sadly we have to use Cawood's old field temporarily BUT they have given it a "face lift". The stands have been painted and the field totally redone. I was out there today and you can see the grass is getting greener! Both physically and figuratively! lol

I can't wait to see the boys take that field for the first time together as a team!

Can you post some pictures of the old Cawood facility? I wouldn't mind seeing some.
I'll try to slip out there this week and take a few pics. Still hoping and praying for the new field/stadium/track. We have this HUGE brand new state of the art school. One of the nicest high schools gym's in the state, but sadly no football/track/baseball. When they started building our new school it was right before Katrina hit which jacked up material costs, the war, gas prices, ect., needless to say the original costs were way off. The money has been spent on the educational fascilities, as they should have been. I wish that our people in Frankfort would fight for us to FINISH the job and get us the money to finish. It will be an awesome place to play once completed, but sadly this year we have to play at Cawood.
Mama Bear Wrote:I'll try to slip out there this week and take a few pics. Still hoping and praying for the new field/stadium/track. We have this HUGE brand new state of the art school. One of the nicest high schools gym's in the state, but sadly no football/track/baseball. When they started building our new school it was right before Katrina hit which jacked up material costs, the war, gas prices, ect., needless to say the original costs were way off. The money has been spent on the educational fascilities, as they should have been. I wish that our people in Frankfort would fight for us to FINISH the job and get us the money to finish. It will be an awesome place to play once completed, but sadly this year we have to play at Cawood.

I've played at the old Cawood facilities, they weren't that bad and should make for a nice temporary home for the Black Bears but like you said it will be nice once they get the new fields done. Best of luck to Harlan County!:Thumbs:
Can someone confirm the schedule? KHSAA shows the Grayson Co. game to be Away on Halloween night... VA's master schedule says you host on Sat. night.
VHSL-helper Wrote:Can someone confirm the schedule? KHSAA shows the Grayson Co. game to be Away on Halloween night... VA's master schedule says you host on Sat. night.

Its on Halloween night:devilflam I guess they will have to take there chainsaws to get back home that night.Smile
QB3 Wrote:Any predictions for the new Harlan Co. Black Bears?
Predictions of players and their positions??

QB3 i'm guessing that your are a Black Bear.:theman:
I heard the Black Bears have one heck of a O line.
does anyone know who some of the starters may be?
Brooks4Prez Wrote:I've played at the old Cawood facilities, they weren't that bad and should make for a nice temporary home for the Black Bears but like you said it will be nice once they get the new fields done. Best of luck to Harlan County!:Thumbs:

You have got to be kidding. I know they said that the field had been redone but that had to be the worst field in the state last year. It was even worse than my Powell Co. Pirates field. Pot-holes everywhere. The locker rooms might as well been in the porta-johns. Very dirty! & smelled terrible! I hope they HAVE made some upgrades. It couldn't be any worse.
blitz43 Wrote:You have got to be kidding. I know they said that the field had been redone but that had to be the worst field in the state last year. It was even worse than my Powell Co. Pirates field. Pot-holes everywhere. The locker rooms might as well been in the porta-johns. Very dirty! & smelled terrible! I hope they HAVE made some upgrades. It couldn't be any worse.

I guess thats why you lost that game then.:p :flame:Are you guys going to play or not?
You gotta admit DaBears, it does stink in there!! LOL I do hope that they gave everything inside a good coat of paint too.

So is the Powell game 100% on?
Mama Bear Wrote:You gotta admit DaBears, it does stink in there!! LOL I do hope that they gave everything inside a good coat of paint too.

So is the Powell game 100% on?

I think its 50%. I just dunno right now.:HitWall: :fedup:
Pages: 1 2