Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Top Five Teams From Your School
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'll start...
Shelby Valley
1. 2000-2001 - Shannon Akers and crew started the season 22-0. Upset in the regional tournament by Allen Central. Beat the #2 team in the region and the 15th region representative in the state tournament South Floyd 84-26 (49-6) at half time at SF on their homecoming night. Finished the season 27-3. WYMT Champs.

2. 1990-1991 - Chad Bowling, Jeremy Johnson, and Mitch Harris. Lost in the regional finals to JJ Hylton and Belfry. This team was really strong as was the rest of the region.

3. 2001-2002 - The first team at SV to win the regional championship. Jeremy Aker's and Josh Goad's last hoorah. Beat Paintsville 88-70 in the regional championship.

4. 2002-2003 - My senior year, we completed the repeat. We were playing really good basketball at the end of the season. Beat Paintsville 50-42 in the regional finals.

5. 2006-2007 - Last seasons team, played a weak schedule, but went undefeated in the region. The reason they aren't higher is that the region was really down. This was when the rest of the region stood up and noticed Elisha Justice and the pressure that he and Logan Bryant could apply to the perimeter. Beat Pikeville 55-48 in the regional finals.

Honorable Mention- 2004-2005- Regional Champs. Had team turmoil all season and lost Seth Kiser toward the end. Led by seniors Kelsey Friend, Pat Tackett, and Kris Bentley.

Just the way I see it.
Larry Legend Wrote:2. 1990-1991 - Chad Bowling, Jeremy Johnson, and Mitch Harris. Lost in the regional finals to JJ Hylton and Belfry. This team was really strong as was the rest of the region.

Regional semi's...
SF

1.1999-2000...25-6...led the state in scoring...dist. champs...all a champs..upset by magoffin in the 1st rd. of region...Had 6 eventual NAIA players...Ryan Shannon, Jimmy Stumbo, John Meade, Byron Hall, Michael Hall, and Rusty Tackett...Was ranked in the top 15 or 20 in the state
2.2001-2002...Rusty Tackett, Michael Hall, Tyler Hall, etc...Dist. champs, all a r-up...was up by 23 at halftime in the reg. semi's against Paintsville and lost...Ranked top 20 in the state AP poll..
3.2000-2001...Dist. Champs...Regional Champs...John Meade, Michael Hall, Rusty Tackett, and Tyler Hall..
4.2002-2003...District Champs...Upset by Johnson Central in 1st round of the reg. tourn. Michael and Tyler's senior year
5.2004-2005...Dist. Champs...All A champs(1st of the back 2 back)...Stephen Stanley, Burnette Little, Mason Hall, Ryan Johnson, Ethan Johnson, and Wes Hall...

Honorable Mention
2005-2006...ALL A champs...Ryan Johnson, Mason Hall, Ethan Johnson, and Ryan Little...
The King Wrote:Regional semi's...
My bad, I was 6.
East Ridge

1. 03-04......The Warriors had a 24-8 record won the 59th District and the 15th Regional championships that year

2. 02-03......ER's First year. Won their first game by 40 over Fleming-Neon. This Warrior team won the 59th District championship.

3. 04-05.....This is ER's first year ever eithout winning the 59th. The Warriors went 18-11. They Lost to Rival Shelby Valley by 5 points in the championship game!

4. 05-06.....East Ridge didnt make it to the 59th Championship game, first time ever. ER finished 12-14 that year.

5. 07-08.....This years Warriors team is currentally 14-11.
Larry Legend Wrote:My bad, I was 6.

In all fairness to you it was widely considered that the Belfry/SV game was to determine the regional champ...
The King Wrote:In all fairness to you it was widely considered that the Belfry/SV game was to determine the regional champ...

Do you agree with the rankings?
Larry Legend Wrote:Do you agree with the rankings?

Yeah, they look right to me... I actually think this year's team is better than last year's team, but they need to win region to be ahead of them on the list... It's funny though, the top two SV team's of all time did not win region...
The King Wrote:Yeah, they look right to me... I actually think this year's team is better than last year's team, but they need to win region to be ahead of them on the list... It's funny though, the top two SV team's of all time did not win region...

I almost flip flopped 2001-2002 and 1990-1991 just because they were the first to win the region.
Paintsville

#1 1995-1996-State Champs, their 26-10 record was a little misleading from what they accomplished. This was the year they went to Vegas and played against Mike Bibby and other great high school players there and at another large national tournament which helped them later on down the road.

#2 1996-1997-(33-4) I thought they were better than the State Title team but just came up short in OT to the Derek Smith and Jarred Lorenzen led Highlands Bluebirds. Game was very controversial, one offical lost his liscense from some of the calls he made against the Tigers late in the game that allowed Highlands to send it to OT.

#3 1997-1998-State Runner-Up, lost to a good Scott Co. team but had the lead in the 3rd. Todd Tackett going out injured put a damper on their momentum, JR VanHoose had a huge game in his final game for the Tigers and recieved a standing ovation from the 21,000+ in attendance when he exited the game. Still get chills to this day thinking about it. Ironic that these two had a scrimmage game at Paintsville during the pre-season with about the same outcome, only to lock horns again at Rupp.

#4 1986-1987-Final Four appearance. Led by John Pelphrey, Adkins, Minix, and Joey Couch. Some thought they would have won the title this year but Minix lost his grandfather prior to the Saturday morning game and struggled for the majority of the game. I believe this was the year they defeated Dematha(MD) at the Beach Ball Classic in Myrtle Beach.

#5 1987-1988 Keith Adkins didn't disappoint in his final year for the Tigers before heading off to play for Digger Phelps at Notre Dame. Helped lead them back to the State Tournament for the 3rd consecutive year.

JR, if you have any other information that you would like to add or maybe another list please do so.
DALE Wrote:Paintsville

#1 1995-1996-State Champs, their 26-10 record was a little misleading from what they accomplished. This was the year they went to Vegas and played against Mike Bibby and other great high school players there and at another large national tournament which helped them later on down the road.

#2 1996-1997-(33-4) I thought they were better than the State Title team but just came up short in OT to the Derek Smith and Jarred Lorenzen led Highlands Bluebirds. Game was very controversial, one offical lost his liscense from some of the calls he made against the Tigers late in the game that allowed Highlands to send it to OT.

#3 1997-1998-State Runner-Up, lost to a good Scott Co. team but had the lead in the 3rd. Todd Tackett going out injured put a damper on their momentum, JR VanHoose had a huge game in his final game for the Tigers and recieved a standing ovation from the 21,000+ in attendance when he exited the game. Still get chills to this day thinking about it. Ironic that these two had a scrimmage game at Paintsville during the pre-season with about the same outcome, only to lock horns again at Rupp.

#4 1986-1987-Final Four appearance. Led by John Pelphrey, Adkins, Minix, and Joey Couch. Some thought they would have won the title this year but Minix lost his grandfather prior to the Saturday morning game and struggled for the majority of the game. I believe this was the year they defeated Dematha(MD) at the Beach Ball Classic in Myrtle Beach.

#5 1987-1988 Keith Adkins didn't disappoint in his final year for the Tigers before heading off to play for Digger Phelps at Notre Dame. Helped lead them back to the State Tournament for the 3rd consecutive year.

JR, if you have any other information that you would like to add or maybe another list please do so.

Nice research Dale, I agree with this list. :Thumbs:
Yep, good call. Hard to really argue with it, even if I wanted to. Brings back bad memories of that BlueBirds game.. But I do gotta admit, D Smith was a stud that game.
The follow up dunk off the free throw by him was kinda like the straw that broke the camel's back. Never got over that until he started catching TD's for the Wildcats.
warriorpride Wrote:East Ridge

1. 03-04......The Warriors had a 24-8 record won the 59th District and the 15th Regional championships that year

2. 02-03......ER's First year. Won their first game by 40 over Fleming-Neon. This Warrior team won the 59th District championship.

3. 04-05.....This is ER's first year ever eithout winning the 59th. The Warriors went 18-11. They Lost to Rival Shelby Valley by 5 points in the championship game!

4. 05-06.....East Ridge didnt make it to the 59th Championship game, first time ever. ER finished 12-14 that year.

5. 07-08.....This years Warriors team is currentally 14-11.

that one was easy enough lol
DALE Wrote:Paintsville

They won the Region that year?
I thought they went to Rupp in the '94-'95, '95-'96 and '96-'97 seasons.
'96-'97 was the year they beat Nationally ranked #10 DeMatha, as well as Future UNC star King Rice led Binghamton NY.
I think they won it 86,87,88. Then the four-peat starting in 95 and ending in 98. I'm pretty positive that in was John Leslie's Senior year that they defeated Dematha, it's on Triumph board above the stage. Haven't been to a game in Paintsville in some time, so I could be wrong about the Dematha game having 87 and 97 mixed up. I'll look around and see what I can find Guru.
DALE Wrote:I think they won it 86,87,88. Then the four-peat starting in 95 and ending in 98. I'm pretty positive that in was John Leslie's Senior year that they defeated Dematha, it's on Triumph board above the stage. Haven't been to a game in Paintsville in some time, so I could be wrong about the Dematha game having 87 and 97 mixed up. I'll look around and see what I can find Guru.
Actually, it was me that made the mistake....it was '86-'87, **** I was at the beach ball classic that year!
But They won region in John's Soph, Jr. and Sr. years.
I am sitting here typing in the dark and can't type fer poo anyway. lol
The Guru Wrote:I am sitting here typing in the dark and can't type fer poo anyway. lol

Smile Smile Yeah I just re-read it. It was the 85 team that went to State not the 1988. So I would put the 1985 team in there instead of the 1988. My mistake if someone can correct that, please do so. In 1985 they were defeated in the second round by Hopkinsville 71-68, that team had Jerry Castle, Mike Minix, Joey, Keith, and John. Once again, my appologies for putting down false info. It should've read the 1985 team not the 1988 team.
The King Wrote:In all fairness to you it was widely considered that the Belfry/SV game was to determine the regional champ...

That is true. I was at that regional semifinal matchup, it was a heck of a game. For my money the best SV team I have ever seen to not win the region, although it's pretty close with the '01 team.
uhavenoidea Wrote:SF

1.1999-2000...25-6...led the state in scoring...dist. champs...all a champs..upset by magoffin in the 1st rd. of region...Had 6 eventual NAIA players...Ryan Shannon, Jimmy Stumbo, John Meade, Byron Hall, Michael Hall, and Rusty Tackett...Was ranked in the top 15 or 20 in the state
2.2001-2002...Rusty Tackett, Michael Hall, Tyler Hall, etc...Dist. champs, all a r-up...was up by 23 at halftime in the reg. semi's against Paintsville and lost...Ranked top 20 in the state AP poll..
3.2000-2001...Dist. Champs...Regional Champs...John Meade, Michael Hall, Rusty Tackett, and Tyler Hall..
4.2002-2003...District Champs...Upset by Johnson Central in 1st round of the reg. tourn. Michael and Tyler's senior year
5.2004-2005...Dist. Champs...All A champs(1st of the back 2 back)...Stephen Stanley, Burnette Little, Mason Hall, Ryan Johnson, Ethan Johnson, and Wes Hall...

Honorable Mention
2005-2006...ALL A champs...Ryan Johnson, Mason Hall, Ethan Johnson, and Ryan Little...

The 99-00 region championship loss was no upset. South Floyd, Magoffin, Johnson Central, Paintsville and Pikeville were the top 5 teams in the region, and all were evenly matched.

The 02-03 region loss was nowhere near bein an upset. Paintsville, Shelby Valley, Pike Central and Johnson Central were head and shoulders above everyone else in the region.
Larry Legend Wrote:I'll start...
Shelby Valley
1. 2000-2001 - Shannon Akers and crew started the season 22-0. Upset in the regional tournament by Allen Central. Beat the #2 team in the region and the 15th region representative in the state tournament South Floyd 84-26 (49-6) at half time at SF on their homecoming night. Finished the season 27-3. WYMT Champs.

2. 1990-1991 - Chad Bowling, Jeremy Johnson, and Mitch Harris. Lost in the regional finals to JJ Hylton and Belfry. This team was really strong as was the rest of the region.

3. 2001-2002 - The first team at SV to win the regional championship. Jeremy Aker's and Josh Goad's last hoorah. Beat Paintsville 88-70 in the regional championship.

4. 2002-2003 - My senior year, we completed the repeat. We were playing really good basketball at the end of the season. Beat Paintsville 50-42 in the regional finals.

5. 2006-2007 - Last seasons team, played a weak schedule, but went undefeated in the region. The reason they aren't higher is that the region was really down. This was when the rest of the region stood up and noticed Elisha Justice and the pressure that he and Logan Bryant could apply to the perimeter. Beat Pikeville 55-48 in the regional finals.

Honorable Mention- 2004-2005- Regional Champs. Had team turmoil all season and lost Seth Kiser toward the end. Led by seniors Kelsey Friend, Pat Tackett, and Kris Bentley.

Just the way I see it.
:mad: Still won't admit it huh... lol
Larry Legend Wrote:I'll start...
Shelby Valley

Just the way I see it.

All great teams!!! Shelby Valley has been unbelievably blessed to feature so many great teams in such a short existence. Now for my two cents worth, the 90-91 team was probably the best team. Ive seen all mentioned and that team was solid from top to bottom, with the exception of the Hall kid. They were a nightmare to defend, quick off the dribble, great shooters and some great finishers off the break. But for what its worth, Patrick Tackett was the most enjoyble basketball player from SV Ive ever seen play.
Redneck Wrote:The 99-00 region championship loss was no upset. South Floyd, Magoffin, Johnson Central, Paintsville and Pikeville were the top 5 teams in the region, and all were evenly matched.

The 02-03 region loss was nowhere near bein an upset. Paintsville, Shelby Valley, Pike Central and Johnson Central were head and shoulders above everyone else in the region.

in 1999-00, SF was 25-6, lead the state in scoring and so on...I believe that Magoffin game was an upset:Thumbs:..

In 2002-2003, You have got to be kidding me that these teams where head and shoulders above anyone else...You played for the Tigers, but neither them or any of the other teams where head and shoulders above SF...
uhavenoidea Wrote:in 1999-00, SF was 25-6, lead the state in scoring and so on...I believe that Magoffin game was an upset:Thumbs:..

In 2002-2003, You have got to be kidding me that these teams where head and shoulders above anyone else...You played for the Tigers, but neither them or any of the other teams where head and shoulders above SF...

I remember South Floyd having alot of talent in 02-03, but I never really saw them as a title contender. They weren't very disciplined.
uhavenoidea Wrote:in 1999-00, SF was 25-6, lead the state in scoring and so on...I believe that Magoffin game was an upset:Thumbs:..

Just because they led the state in scorin doesn't mean anything.

We beat SF fairly easy at SF and at the All "A". What QUALITY wins did SF have in 02-03.
Redneck Wrote:Just because they led the state in scorin doesn't mean anything.

We beat SF fairly easy at SF and at the All "A". What QUALITY wins did SF have in 02-03.

Tyler Hall didnt play in the ALL A or in the game at SF, due to a punctured kidney...Im glad you said quality wins...Paintsville had 24 wins that year, 20 of them against region opp.:Thumbs:
uhavenoidea Wrote:Tyler Hall didnt play in the ALL A or in the game at SF, due to a punctured kidney...Im glad you said quality wins...Paintsville had 24 wins that year, 20 of them against region opp.:Thumbs:

Tyler Hall didn't play, but would it have mattered. Micheal wouldn't pass the ball to anybody. Still wonderin how you figure the Johnson Central game was an upset. Was it an upset because the game was at SF? Was it an upset because SF won their district and JC didn't? Why was it an upset?
WARNING:: Please stay on topic!!
Redneck Wrote:Tyler Hall didn't play, but would it have mattered. Micheal wouldn't pass the ball to anybody. Still wonderin how you figure the Johnson Central game was an upset. Was it an upset because the game was at SF? Was it an upset because SF won their district and JC didn't? Why was it an upset?

Tyler Hall was the best shooter in the region, so yes it would've mattered...Game was at SF, JC didnt win their district, SF had the stronger overall schedule and season(they was ranked #14 in the state at one point, after the first 11 games)...
Pages: 1 2