Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Why have so many great high school coaches come from SE KY?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have noticed in the state record book that 3 of the top 5 coaches in the history of Kentucky High School basketball have come from the mountains of SE Kentucky. These are:

#2- Bobby Keith, Manchester, 13th region, 767 wins
#3- Pearl Combs, Hazard/Hindman, 14th region, 761 wins
#5- Billy Hicks, Evarts, 13th region, 702 wins (still active)

Also, Dave Fraley, #9 got his start in the 14th region (Powell Co)

Why have so many of the all time greats gotten came from the mountains? And who will be the next one from the mountains to crack the 700 win barier?
How close is Runyon to Halbert's numbers? I know it is his last year and was just wondering how close he was to the "Hoss"?
Denzil Harbert of Martin High School finished his career with 528 wins. That is good enough for #25 on the all time wins list. Runyon currently has 524 wins, which puts him at #28 on the all time wins list.
rojas Wrote:Denzil Harbert of Martin High School finished his career with 528 wins. That is good enough for #25 on the all time wins list. Runyon currently has 524 wins, which puts him at #28 on the all time wins list.

Runyon wins the district and region and he beats Halbert...what a way to end your coaching career....IF it happens
I dont think Johnny Martin will stay around much longer either...I believe he's got about 5 or 6 more years in him...IF that!
How many wins does coach Martin have?
100%SUCCESS Wrote:How many wins does coach Martin have?

As of last night's defeat over Pikeville he has 507 wins.
Russ Williamson, Inez (793)
How many wins does Perrys Coach Allan Hatcher have?
If you count other states where he coached before, I think he is close to or over 700 wins...been at it a long time.
warmachine Wrote:How many wins does Perrys Coach Allan Hatcher have?

Al Holland...I'd say he is up there in wins...300+ i'd say..
If Holland stays at Hazard, he will rack up a bunch in a short time. They always have a competitive and winning team over their.
mountain hoops guru Wrote:If Holland stays at Hazard, he will rack up a bunch in a short time. They always have a competitive and winning team over their.

i agree, he'll prolly rack up about 100 in the next 6 years or so...
IMO, here in the mountains, we are limited with talent so the coaches have to teach the game to be played the right way.
When this is done, teams are successful.
Who couldn't coach at a school that year in and out they have 6-7 players that play above the rim and always have great athletes?

Heck....it wouldn't be fair to the rest of the state if these coaches were in the Lex/Lou areas!
uhavenoidea Wrote:i agree, he'll prolly rack up about 100 in the next 6 years or so...

I agree...Id say he could get 20+ a season for the next few years.
rawlingsfan Wrote:Russ Williamson, Inez (793)
The KHSAA web site lists Williamson with 501 wins.