Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: WHITE SMOKE!! WHITE SMOKE!!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
VATICAN CITY - Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger of Germany, a hard-line guardian of conservative doctrine, was elected the new pope Tuesday evening in the first conclave of the new millennium. He chose the name Pope Benedict XVI and called himself “a simple, humble worker.”

An inauguration Mass for the new pope was set for Sunday at 10 a.m. local time, 4 a.m. ET. Benedict XVI decided to spend the night at the Vatican hotel where cardinals have been staying, and to dine with the cardinals.

Ratzinger, the first German pope since the 11th century, emerged onto the balcony of St. Peter’s Basilica, where he waved to a wildly cheering crowd of tens of thousands and gave his first blessing as the church's 265th pope. Other cardinals clad in their crimson robes came out on other balconies to watch him.

“Dear brothers and sisters, after the great Pope John Paul II, the cardinals have elected me — a simple, humble worker in the vineyard of the Lord,” he said. “I entrust myself to your prayers,” the pope said.

“The fact that the Lord can work and act even with insufficient means consoles me, and above all I entrust myself to your prayers,” the new pope said in his first public address. “I entrust myself to your prayers.”

The crowd responded by chanting “Benedict! Benedict!”

In Washington, President Bush President offered his congratulations, calling the new pope "a man of great wisdom and knowledge."

Hes the first German Pope since the 11th century.... Dang.
He's also one of the Hitler Youth.
whas that mean?
hmmm a German is the new pope...i heard my catholic friend talking about this today and he seemed a little dissapointed that a german was now in charge!
and Hitler youth were children who were undre Hitlers authority basically if i am thinkin correctly...they were raised under his rules and learned combat at a young age, but tehy also had some activities...i had to do research on them once, but i dont remember too muhc...maybe i can find the report and tell u more
Well there's nothing wrong with a German being a Pope. Not everyone in Germany is a Nazi. I mean come on.
lol i think it is funny. not that he's German or that he may be a Hitler youth.... i think it is funny cause he ia almost 80... he wont be around too long...
hahaha yea we just elected a pope that might be around another 10 years or something and then we will have to go through this entire process AGAIN! i agree with VV, and i think that its pretty funny myself.
WE didn't elect anyone.
lol okay THEY
well i think it is all funny anyways. nuttin against Catholics but the Pope is just another man.