Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: 57th Tourney seeding question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
If Paintsville wins and Magoffin beats Sheldon Clark this would be the records in the 57th district:

Paintsville (8-0)
Johnson Central (3-5)
Sheldon Clark (3-5)
Magoffin (3-5)
Lawerance (3-5)

So you have a 4 way tie. ALL teams will have been beaten by Paintsville twice. ALL teams will have split with each other this season.

Just curious. How would they decide on who played who?
Ridge Runner Wrote:If Paintsville wins and Magoffin beats Sheldon Clark this would be the records in the 57th district:

Paintsville (8-0)
Johnson Central (3-5)
Sheldon Clark (3-5)
Magoffin (3-5)
Lawerance (3-5)

So you have a 4 way tie. ALL teams will have been beaten by Paintsville twice. ALL teams will have split with each other this season.

Just curious. How would they decide on who played who?

I was told last night that if this happened Paintsville would get the bye and the rest would be decided by a coin flip.
devilhead Wrote:I was told last night that if this happened Paintsville would get the bye and the rest would be decided by a coin flip.

I know Paintsville would get the bye. But, how do you coin flip four teams?
Sounds crazy! You'd think that they would have a better way, such as using points or margins against each other or something.
EKY Sportster Wrote:Sounds crazy! You'd think that they would have a better way, such as using points or margins against each other or something.

I know it sounds crazy, but I was told by an SC coach yesterday that it they lose Friday to Magoffin that it would be a 4 way coin toss. Not sure if its true or how they do it but thats what I was told by him.
I think Paintsville should automatically be in the championship game. I'm not sayin that just because I'm a Paintsville fan, I think it should be like this every year no matter who it is. Think about it a minute. The #1 seed in the 59th and 60th Districts automatically get to play in the district championship. Why should the 57th District be penalized for havin 5 teams.
Redneck Wrote:I think Paintsville should automatically be in the championship game. I'm not sayin that just because I'm a Paintsville fan, I think it should be like this every year no matter who it is. Think about it a minute. The #1 seed in the 59th and 60th Districts automatically get to play in the district championship. Why should the 57th District be penalized for havin 5 teams.
#1 seed in the 60th has to play a first round game. Piarist is usually the #4 seed.
Panther Thunder Wrote:#1 seed in the 60th has to play a first round game. Piarist is usually the #4 seed.

I forgot about Piarist. But if they weren't in the 60th district then the #1 seed would automatically be in the championship.
I was told today by an assistant from another team in the district that if this happens, the four tied teams names go into a hat. They draw out in alphabetical order. Whatever number they draw is the seed they get.
Im hoping this doesn't happen and we beat maggofin friday
Norm Wrote:I was told today by an assistant from another team in the district that if this happens, the four tied teams names go into a hat. They draw out in alphabetical order. Whatever number they draw is the seed they get.

I think this would be the best way. The coin flip would'nt be fair. IMO...
I don't care if they flip a coin, draw straws or see which coach can pee the farthest, the type of ti-breaker should be determined befor the season.
Lets just hope SC wins so we can avoid this.
I would say the would draw names from a hat or something like that.
Well they are going to drawn names alphabetically to see who draws out first for the drawing of the seeds.
That's a pretty good idea. You could even have the 1play the 5, 3&4 play & winner plays the #2.

Redneck Wrote:I think Paintsville should automatically be in the championship game. I'm not sayin that just because I'm a Paintsville fan, I think it should be like this every year no matter who it is. Think about it a minute. The #1 seed in the 59th and 60th Districts automatically get to play in the district championship. Why should the 57th District be penalized for havin 5 teams.
Redneck Wrote:I forgot about Piarist. But if they weren't in the 60th district then the #1 seed would automatically be in the championship.

They might as well be automatically in anyway!

It is still not as fair with 5 teams though.
I think it should be based on head-to-head match-ups between the district teams! It is the only fair way and it makes the games count for more than a win or loss.
EKY Sportster Wrote:I think it should be based on head-to-head match-ups between the district teams! It is the only fair way and it makes the games count for more than a win or loss.

It wouldn't matter in this case. If it plays out like this. All teams tied will have lost to Paintsville and All teams will have split with one another.
OffTheHook Wrote:It wouldn't matter in this case. If it plays out like this. All teams tied will have lost to Paintsville and All teams will have split with one another.

You could always go into margin of victory in head-to-head match-ups to get some sort of ranking though.
That would be a points system and not head to head. But, it's awefully hard to do that in basketball. JMO
I agree, but it still beats a coin toss. I mean if one team came out ahead in a point system based on district games only, that team should be seeded above the others even though they all tied.
jchsrulz Wrote:That's a pretty good idea. You could even have the 1play the 5, 3&4 play & winner plays the #2.

That makes absolutely no sense at all. Why would the #2 seed get a bye, lol.
jchsrulz Wrote:That's a pretty good idea. You could even have the 1play the 5, 3&4 play & winner plays the #2.

I think that is they way th 58th did when they had 5 teams. 1&5 play and winner goes to championship game. 3&4 play and winner plays 2 with winner going to championship. this gives the 1 seed the easiest road and the 2 team the 2nd easiest road.
Johnny Fairplay Wrote:I think that is they way th 58th did when they had 5 teams. 1&5 play and winner goes to championship game. 3&4 play and winner plays 2 with winner going to championship. this gives the 1 seed the easiest road and the 2 team the 2nd easiest road.

I thought it was 1 with the bye...4 plays 5...winner plays #1 to see who makes it the finals...2 plays 3 and the winner is in the finals as well...makes more sense this wayBig Grin ...
point spread between them example if MC BEAT JC by 10 and then JC beat MC by 7 MC gets tie break i don't the scores between the 2 teams just an example.
Johnny Fairplay Wrote:I think that is they way th 58th did when they had 5 teams. 1&5 play and winner goes to championship game. 3&4 play and winner plays 2 with winner going to championship. this gives the 1 seed the easiest road and the 2 team the 2nd easiest road.

OK, I follow you all now. Sorry jchsrulz, didn't quite understand it the way you phrased it. I gotcha now :thumpsup:
well according to the AD at LC the other night they are going to draw it out of a hat to see which seed they get since they all had the same record and that was determined before the season started.
Batpuff Wrote:well according to the AD at LC the other night they are going to draw it out of a hat to see which seed they get since they all had the same record and that was determined before the season started.
it was determined last week at a meeting with officials from all schools present
Check out khsaa's website. There is a section with the answer to most of your questions.
Batpuff Wrote:well according to the AD at LC the other night they are going to draw it out of a hat to see which seed they get since they all had the same record and that was determined before the season started.

There will be an alphabetical order draw to determine the order in which teams will draw for seeds. Teams will draw twice. For example, JC will draw first to determine what order they will draw for their seed.
Pages: 1 2