Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Chicken Fighting!!!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Video posted of Mets pitcher Pedro Martinez and Hall of Famer Juan Marichal at cockfight.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=An...&type=lgns
First I wish PETA, would just give up. Second, it is part of his culture. No one needs to judge his culture, if they don't ours to be subjected to criticism as well. Where he is from it is legal and popular, it's getting ridiculous that you have to be so politically correct on everything.
Panther Thunder Wrote:First I wish PETA, would just give up. Second, it is part of his culture. No one needs to judge his culture, if they don't ours to be subjected to criticism as well. Where he is from it is legal and popular, it's getting ridiculous that you have to be so politically correct on everything.

I agree with you on this. Part of his culture no big deal. He was just a celebirty guest thats all. Go Mets!!!!!!!!!!!!Smile
Yeah not a big deal at all. It's legal there, even if we disagree with it. We have plenty of laws (or lack of laws) that other cultures scoff at that the thought of as well.

It's not like Millions of chickens aren't brutally murdered each year to feed Americans.
I guess if its part of my culture to beat women, its ok?
Great Rolemodel!
RavenBoy Wrote:I guess if its part of my culture to beat women, its ok?
Great Rolemodel!
Is it legal?
Yes, it is legal.
blackcat_mvp6 Wrote:Yes, it is legal.
Beating your wife is now legal??????? Wow. Read the post.
lol ohh my bad. Read it wrong
There's more crap to worry about in OUR country than a guy from another country going back to his country and taking part in a tradition.

WHO GIVES A CRAP ABOUT WHAT HIS TRADITIONS ARE! WORRY ABOUT WHAT'S GOING ON IN OUR HOMELAND!
I will say that just because it's part of a culture, it doesn't mean that we will agree with it in our culture.

I'm sure Michael Vick said that dogfighting was part of his "culture" but it didn't mean that it was right.

However, they were in a country where it IS legal, and they were simply watching, they were not participating or raising their own or holding their own fights.
It is legal in there country so I think the press and everyone else should get off of there backs because IT IS different from dog fighting. Do we eat dogs? NO!! Do we eat chicken..YES..Are they both cruel..OF COURSE! I am not for chicken fighting to say the least, but it is legal in there country.
I thought chicken fighting was a part of EKY's culture as well?
vundy33 Wrote:I thought chicken fighting was a part of EKY's culture as well?
People may do it but it is not legal so therefore it is totally different. Should we call out female athletes for not covering their faces in public because it is a law and part of the culture in other countries? No, we shouldn't and we don't because it isn't a law/culture of our country. It is perfectly legal and accepted in his country so let him be.
Beef Wrote:People may do it but it is not legal so therefore it is totally different. Should we call out female athletes for not covering their faces in public because it is a law and part of the culture in other countries? No, we shouldn't and we don't because it isn't a law/culture of our country. It is perfectly legal and accepted in his country so let him be.

It was a joke.
Who cares if Pedro was at a cockfight or not. In America its illegal to fight animals like that but there it isn't, like its illegal to smoke marijuana here but in Amsterdam you can. Different country, different rules, Pedro did nothing wrong. Please back off of Pedro.
**** I love the chicken fights, but I ain't been in about a year and a half. Who cares, it's legal where he is from, I don't see anything wrong with it. At least they eat em afterwards. Some of us eat chicken everyday, those chickens were killed. How do we know these processin plants dont have chicken fights before they are killed, plucked, cleaned then packaged up, lol.
Redneck Wrote:**** I love the chicken fights, but I ain't been in about a year and a half. Who cares, it's legal where he is from, I don't see anything wrong with it. At least they eat em afterwards. Some of us eat chicken everyday, those chickens were killed. How do we know these processin plants dont have chicken fights before they are killed, plucked, cleaned then packaged up, lol.

Haha never thought about that. Maybe they do do that lol
Panther Thunder Wrote:Is it legal?
It dont matter if it is or not. Salvia isnt illegal, but I know I shouldnt do it.
RavenBoy Wrote:It dont matter if it is or not. Salvia isnt illegal, but I know I shouldnt do it.

You're also from a different culture. You are experiencing ethnocentrism, which is viewing another's culture through your owns eyes and judging another culture based on your own.

There are very few human universals and treatment of animals is one of those things that different cultures clash on. Indians view cows as sacred, we eat cows like it's nothing. It's all about what culture you were raised to learn, and in his culture, this is a perfectly acceptable thing. No one is saying it's right in our culture, because obviously it isn't. However, he was following a norm in a culture and country where such a thing is acceptable.
Enough said Comfort Eagle. Couldn't agree with ya more!