Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Prestonsburg 2008
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Returned everyone from last year and also got a new coach. Should be a good team this year.
They wont be very good. They were not very good last and I dont see much improvement.
Not even a fan but, GET REAL. They beat some good teams last year, didn't lose ANYONE, & made it to the regions with a pretty good showing there.
Why comment ?
I think that they have a good chance at making some noise in the 15th region tourney, the Blackcats return two of the better players in the region in Rodebaugh & Hughes.
I don't think the Blackcats will win the 15th Region Tournament, but this could be their year to win the 58th District. Hughes and Rodebaugh are top 20 players in the region, but they're not going to be able to win alone. The Blackcats lack good pitching and that will be their main weakness in regional play. If the new coach can get priorities on defense and work on pitching, then they may turn some heads.
I agree. I doubt they will win Region but Im looking for them to win the 58th district and advance a couple rounds in the region.
Pitching, plus defense will be the key for Prestonsburg. They swing the bats good and have several experienced players.
Pitching will be the big problem.
I believe that the Blackcats will have a very good season. They may not win region but they will have avery impressive season.
I still dont think that they will be very good. I mean they have one good player and that is Josh Rodebaugh. They didnt impress me last year and unless something dramatic happends they will struggle again this year.
Quote:The Blackcats lack good pitching and that will be their main weakness in regional play. If the new coach can get priorities on defense and work on pitching, then they may turn some heads.

Rodebaugh, Hughes, Schoolcraft, Hall, Tincher.......+ more
All very Good pitchers, I don't see your point
Defense was a little suspect last year but, not pitching. They never gave many EARNED Runs last year in the games they lost. That can be expected from taking hours of Batting practice & "0" Fielding drills or practice.
Pitching has been a big emphasis with this team for a few years now & I think Finally they have A GOOD number of Talented Arms to really make some noise.
I DO hope that their new coach balances out his practices between Hitting & Fielding & I'm sure that he will.
I watched p-burg for many years, my brother played against them in the 80s and they were always a strong contender for the region. my son played against them from 2000 to 2003 when they were down but I seen them improve and they look to be once again a contender in the 58th district and region. Last year they had a few freshman pitching and looked good at times and now thay are a year older who knows!
I look for the Blackcats to turn some heads in the 15 Region this year with only losing one player from last years team. The pitching isnt as weak as everyone believes that it is with Rodebaugh, Hughes, Schoolcraft, Hall, and Tincher and hopefully new coach Marc Shepherd will be able to coach the Blackcats to a 58th District Championship this year and maybe deep into the 15 Region Tourny.
I agree blackcatfan48. I have a nephew that plays for p-burg and I've seen the inprovement that they have made and with this new coach, just might be the push they need to get to that next level.
b-ball_guy Wrote:Rodebaugh, Hughes, Schoolcraft, Hall, Tincher.......+ more
All very Good pitchers, I don't see your pointDefense was a little suspect last year but, not pitching. They never gave many EARNED Runs last year in the games they lost. That can be expected from taking hours of Batting practice & "0" Fielding drills or practice.
Pitching has been a big emphasis with this team for a few years now & I think Finally they have A GOOD number of Talented Arms to really make some noise.

Didn't say they lacked pitching, but that they lacked the good pitching they would need to win a region tournament. They don't have one really good pitcher that can go out and shut down a team. They would need at least 2 good pitchers to do that. They do have pitchers who can throw strikes and give a lot of innings. Their ERA was low, which was good, but their schedule was suspect last season. If they can develop Hughes and Rodebaugh a little more and those other guys can give solid innings then their pitching will be a little better entering regional play. Right now, they don't have the pitching needed based on prior experience. Could they? With those mentioned and room for improvement. It's possible.

If they can improve their defensive game, and develop 2 pitchers who can really keep teams, and I mean the elite teams in the region, off balance and shut down for the most part, then their chances will increase dramatically. But based on prior season's, right now, they are not a regional contender.
BaseballMan Wrote:Didn't say they lacked pitching, but that they lacked the good pitching they would need to win a region tournament. They don't have one really good pitcher that can go out and shut down a team. They would need at least 2 good pitchers to do that. They do have pitchers who can throw strikes and give a lot of innings. Their ERA was low, which was good, but their schedule was suspect last season. If they can develop Hughes and Rodebaugh a little more and those other guys can give solid innings then their pitching will be a little better entering regional play. Right now, they don't have the pitching needed based on prior experience. Could they? With those mentioned and room for improvement. It's possible.

If they can improve their defensive game, and develop 2 pitchers who can really keep teams, and I mean the elite teams in the region, off balance and shut down for the most part, then their chances will increase dramatically. But based on prior season's, right now, they are not a regional contender.

I'm not saying that what you have said isn't true but, That what you have said would be true for any team in any region. With at least 2 pitchers that can shut down Elite teams you are then able to get by with a weaker defense & weaker hitting. Therefore, winning just about every game.
Had a nice talk with Coach Shepherd this morning and he really seemed to be enthused about this season. Said he is taking a "from scratch" approach with the guys, and looks to have some nice laid out plans for the team. Also noted that Bobby Hughes was close to being fully released from his injury, but may wait till after basketball is over, so the temptation doesn't rise to wanna join the team for the end of year. He was quick to point out the blisters on the top and bottom of his left hand from the amount of balls he hit to them yesterday in first practice. :baby:
prestonsburg will not win the district or the region....everyone seems to leave out the fact that AC dominated them last year and they didn't loose anyone as well...i take that back they lost their 3rd baseman who wasn't very good anyway
Well, you also forgot they wont have a fully healthy Scotty Little. I don't think it would matter anyways because I think the Blackcats will finally over come this and beat them this year.
I agree also. I believe the factor of AC not being able to rely on Scott's arm for the majority of the year, will allow Prestonsburg to have the #1 record in the district. As far as tourney time, things could be lil closer, but I will guess at PBurg coming out as the district tourney winner as well, and possibly win a game in the region. Too many athletes on that team to not put a decent run together.
Ring'Em Up Wrote:I agree also. I believe the factor of AC not being able to rely on Scott's arm for the majority of the year, will allow Prestonsburg to have the #1 record in the district. As far as tourney time, things could be lil closer, but I will guess at PBurg coming out as the district tourney winner as well, and possibly win a game in the region. Too many athletes on that team to not put a decent run together.

if they come out a winner its very possible because there are a lot of 3 team districts who let "very" beatable teams in the region..