Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: This is the last season For Bill Mike Runyon
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Wow this a shocker. Just read a piece of it in the Big Sandy News. The area will be losing one of the best Coaches in Ky High School Basketball.
Heights ends Tigers' Classic run
"A" title eludes retiring coach
RICHMOND — Paintsville basketball coach Bill M. Runyon, who has announced that this would be his last season at the helm of the Tiger program, and has accomplished most everything that any coach could ever want to achieve in a high school coaching career, will end his career without an All "A" state title. ...subscribers>>
http://www.bigsandynews.com/
WOW didnt see this one coming
what do you mean didn't see it coming??? he's been saying this for years ever since J.R. and all those boys graduated...Does this mean Matt Ratliff will take over?
Goodbye to a Kentucky HS legend...Great Coach and Good Man...
I believe it when I see it. He's been telling people that for way to long now!
SE04 Wrote:I believe it when I see it. He's been telling people that for way to long now!

i agree he has been, i do believe that this is it for him though, especially with people getting real tired of him saying it and then backing out...if he does it again they are going to end up losing another great future coach at paintsville...we already lost J.R. i would hate to see another one leave as well..
I hate to see this happen. But he has said this for years now.
BMR..One of the greatest to ever coach! BAR NONE!
I seen it comin, I just hate to see it. I'm sure we will have a retirement party of some kind when it's all said and done. Hopefully it won't be said and til without a run at another state championship. I'm one of many who has and always will have the priviledge of sayin I played for Coach Runyon. Not only did he make me a better football, basketball and baseball player, he made me a better man. He taught me to never give up and to always give everything I had no matter what it was.
One of the greatest to roam the sidelines in KY history!! Also, I believe this is a great tatic by coach Runyon! This will motivate his club even more!!
One of the best ever! but I'll believe this when I see it. JMO
Great coach, has done Johnson county well. What a way to end career as coach, More than likely another visit to Rupp.
BMR has many good years left in him if he stays, but it will be a few years before he has a chance to have a regional contender after this year, so I wouldn't be surprised to see him step down. I think he would have already, but he couldn't desert these guys - the seniors - after going through the tough seasons with them when they were 8th graders and freshmen. I knew he would at least see them through. And a good year it has been and hopefully will continue to be!!!
He'll mark off his career with another trip to Rupp IMO. But man, what a run he's had!
First, Bobby Knight, now Bill Mike Runyon..what legend next?? I will hate not to see BMR on the sidelines for Paintsville basketball..It wont look right with someone else coaching there. Its like Coy and Vance driving the General Lee..If it is indeed his last year, congrats to one of the true legends in the state of Kentucky on an unbelievable career.
Trust me when I say....Don't believe evrything you read.
Redneck Wrote:I seen it comin, I just hate to see it. I'm sure we will have a retirement party of some kind when it's all said and done. Hopefully it won't be said and til without a run at another state championship. I'm one of many who has and always will have the priviledge of sayin I played for Coach Runyon. Not only did he make me a better football, basketball and baseball player, he made me a better man. He taught me to never give up and to always give everything I had no matter what it was.

Great quote, I too had the priviledge to play for him and am proud to say that. He is a great coach and person, kind of like a second dad to most kids. I hope that my kids could get a chance to play for a person of his caliber. I think Scott Daniels is next in line, that's why they brought him in this year IMO.
Matt Ratliff is your answer if it's up to BMR.
first of all its not scott daniels its jimmy daniels and hes been there for a while now. and matt ratliff will be the next head coach at paintsville

slingblade93 Wrote:Great quote, I too had the priviledge to play for him and am proud to say that. He is a great coach and person, kind of like a second dad to most kids. I hope that my kids could get a chance to play for a person of his caliber. I think Scott Daniels is next in line, that's why they brought him in this year IMO.
tigerfan1 Wrote:first of all its not scott daniels its jimmy daniels and hes been there for a while now. and matt ratliff will be the next head coach at paintsville
Sorry, but slingblade is correct in that SCOTT Daniels was brought onboard as an asst. coach this year, but I don't think it was to turn the program over to Scott. I do agree with you in that it will be Matt Ratliff that takes the helm.
The Guru Wrote:Sorry, but slingblade is correct in that SCOTT Daniels was brought onboard as an asst. coach this year, but I don't think it was to turn the program over to Scott. I do agree with you in that it will be Matt Ratliff that takes the helm.

thats what ive been told ever since matt started their by administration, BMR, and Matt himself on many occasions has mentioned he should be the next in line to get the job...
Best coach in 15th region.He will be missed if he steps down.
I truly believe he will be gone after this season. After this season he will be down on talent. I think Matt will take over as head coach. He would make a good coach but would have some big shoes to fill.
sorry i was wrong but they would def. not turn it over to scott daniels. why did they bring him on for

The Guru Wrote:Sorry, but slingblade is correct in that SCOTT Daniels was brought onboard as an asst. coach this year, but I don't think it was to turn the program over to Scott. I do agree with you in that it will be Matt Ratliff that takes the helm.
tigerfan1 Wrote:sorry i was wrong but they would def. not turn it over to scott daniels. why did they bring him on for

I think that after they lost JR to Phelps, that they needed another center for the annual players vs. coaches game at the end of the season.Big Grin
The Guru Wrote:I think that after they lost JR to Phelps, that they needed another center for the annual players vs. coaches game at the end of the season.Big Grin

haha your probably right
tigerfan1 Wrote:sorry i was wrong but they would def. not turn it over to scott daniels. why did they bring him on for

Cause Scott was a great post player in his day and he knows the position very well. They had to find someone to replace J.R. to work with the post players.
BMR will be missed by everyone in the region. He sold alot of tickets and hopefully Matt will get the support he needs to survive the next couple years.
villefan Wrote:I truly believe he will be gone after this season. After this season he will be down on talent. I think Matt will take over as head coach. He would make a good coach but would have some big shoes to fill.

Maybe"down on talent" is a little harsh. There is talent on that bench. Just untapped as of yet. Of course the seniors are not replaceable but, let's not just assume there isn't talent on that bench. I do think the problem will be "lack of experience" for sure though.
Jose11 Wrote:Maybe"down on talent" is a little harsh. There is talent on that bench. Just untapped as of yet. Of course the seniors are not replaceable but, let's not just assume there isn't talent on that bench. I do think the problem will be "lack of experience" for sure though.

it will take matt, or whomever is head coach next season, atleast two years possibly 3 to get paintsville back to being a power house...
Pages: 1 2