Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: 15th Region Rankings as of 2/3/08
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Top 10

1. Paintsville- Playing really well right now. They won the ALL A regional for the second year in a row and made a great showing in Richmond by making it to the Final Four, but losing to the eventual champs, UHA. IMO, they have two of the Top 5 players in the region in Slone and Grimm. But, I think their lack of Depth could be a problem, if they get in foul trouble come tourney time...
2. SV- Pre-Season favorite that made an early exit in the ALL A, one game shy of the matchup everyone wants to see (SV & Paintsville). They have took 2 of 3 from the Pikeville Panthers, which locked up the #1 seed in the 59th... The only reason I have Paintsville ahead of SV is because of their early exit in the ALL A...The loss of Taylor Newsome has had somewhat of an effect on the Wildcats, but with the intensity they showed against the Panthers this past friday COULD wipe out the loss of Newsome if it was to continue...IMO SV needs a consistent scorer, instead of not knowing who will lead them to victory...If SV wants to win the regional title, they need consistent production from their Big "3"- E. Justice, J. Bryant, and Hatfield...
3. Pikeville- played to the best of their ability in the ALL A, which resulted in a win over SV and a birth in the finals against Paintsville where they took the Tigers 2 Double OT...They have proved that they can beat SV and play with the Tigers...IMO the downfall of the Panthers will be there lack of Depth, they lose quite a bit when a starter heads to the bench for any reason...IMO the panthers could make another late season push if they use Adams to their advantage..
4. AC- Has been playing well as of late...They have the regions best 3pt. shooter in Crum and one of the Top 3 PG's in the region(Hammonds)..AC's post-season success will be determined by how well the Supporting Cast plays...The Crowders need to combine for about 25pts. and around 20rebs. a game....Prater needs to be more aggressive instead of shooting 3's, they need about 10pts. a game from him...I see the Rebels winning the 58th and making it to Semi's in the regional, but if there hot, they could be playing on Championship Night..
5. ER- The Warriors are a fundamentally sound team...But, IMO the lack of shooters will be the Downfall of the Warriors...
6-10??? Toss-up
This thread could sprak some arguements, but i agree that you have to give Paintsville the #1 spot just because they won the All A, but SV is right with them.
What's everyone else's rankings??
IMO

1.) Paintsville- All A champs, went to the final 4.
2.)Shelby Valley- If they play like they did Friday every game, they could beat anyone in the 15th.
3.) Pikeville- Beat SV and played Painstville well.

From there back could be anyones.
I agree with the rankings, but Paintsville fans should be scared. In the last 3 years, there has only been one team to win the region in all A and then win region sweet 16 in the same year. So whos it going to be UHA,Gallatin,Hazard, JBS, Paintsville, or Rose Hill? There may only be one or there may be none! In fact, not many A teams go to sweet 16 period. I think there was 2 last year JBS and Elliott. One year before Hazard, one year before was UHA, and the year before there also was just one UHA. The 14th, 15th, and 16th cant help but to send an A team. So it looks like UHA,Gallatin are left out this year. And going by history !4th will be JBS, 15th Shelby Valley, 16th Elliott. JUST A THOUGHT.
I look for Paintsville to come out of the 15th in March. Pikeville would be my second choice and Shelby Valley behind them.
Dawggie Wrote:I look for Paintsville to come out of the 15th in March. Pikeville would be my second choice and Shelby Valley behind them.

LOL, Pikeville just got their butts handed to them at their own house and you say they will be ahead of Valley, that's quite ridiculous.
Dawggie Wrote:I look for Paintsville to come out of the 15th in March. Pikeville would be my second choice and Shelby Valley behind them.

Did you happen to see the score of Friday nights game???
1.Paintsville- after winning the all A and after Shelby Valley Losing, moves paintsville to the number 1 spot.

2. Shelby Valley- Still the team to beat, after losing to Pikeville in the All A and then coming back to Pikeville's gym and open up a 20 point win, if they play like they did againts Pikeville last friday, then they can't be stoped.

3.Pikeville- Very good showcase in the all A, knocking off top ranked Valley and then playing Paintsville and forcing them into OT. Very good team.

IMO, these teams are really the only ones to watch for when it comes Tourny Time

Why would you say Pikeville will be ahead of Valley. This is a 3 team race but Valley and Paintsville are a lil head of Pikeville... As of now I say Valley and Paintsville is very even with each other.
First, I agree with the rankings! The teams listed are by far above the others in the region this year.

Second, I am not worried about the fact that Paintsville won the All A regional and what history says about that. The team that plays the best on the night in question wins. I am more concerned about how the Tigers will play in a given game.

Third, (although anything is possible), I think that Paintsville or Shelby Valley will win the region. Plain and simple. Which one will depend on which plays the best in the regional tourney. Right now Paintsville is playing very good, but it looks like Valley has gotten back on track as well.
I agree with the rankings, I think it will come down to Paintsville or Shelby Valley.
I'm going with Paintsville(Period). Don't have much depth, but the six boys they do play get the job done. All 6 of them can play, and they all have pretty good range, Landon the best obviously, but all can shoot it deep if need be. Then Grimm is just a workhorse downlow, cleaning up the glass. The way I seen him work down low in the All A, gives me no reason to think any of the 15th Region front courts can contain him. The key to their success will be foul trouble. BUT imo with this senior bunch of boys, they know that this will be their last year to advance, and I don't believe fouls are going to give them much trouble. I could very likely be wrong but JMO.
100%SUCCESS Wrote:I'm going with Paintsville(Period). Don't have much depth, but the six boys they do play get the job done. All 6 of them can play, and they all have pretty good range, Landon the best obviously, but all can shoot it deep if need be. Then Grimm is just a workhorse downlow, cleaning up the glass. The way I seen him work down low in the All A, gives me no reason to think any of the 15th Region front courts can contain him. The key to their success will be foul trouble. BUT imo with this senior bunch of boys, they know that this will be their last year to advance, and I don't believe fouls are going to give them much trouble. I could very likely be wrong but JMO.

A big man dont mean much when you have a team like SV that can totally take him out of the game with their fast defensive play. But dont get me wrong Paintsville could very well win the 15th.
PhiSlamaJama#12 Wrote:A big man dont mean much when you have a team like SV that can totally take him out of the game with their fast defensive play. But dont get me wrong Paintsville could very well win the 15th.

I ain't getting you wrong. You posted your opinion just like I posted mine, and thats all they were-Opinions. However, Paintsville has the guards that can move the ball up the floor fast. They get it out of the net and push it quick up the floor. Ball don't hit the floor much, and they shoot a lot out of transition which allows Grimm, Vanhoose and Murray to get those Offensive Rebounds on the defense because the defense is out of position when the shot goes up. Again, Just my opinion on another valuable aspect of the Tiger offense.
UHA was extremely quick in all positions and Paintsville played well enough to win but a few costly turnovers on key possessions, several missed 1-1's at the line early in the game, and horrid 3 point shooting lost the the game for the Tigers. UHA shot the ball and played worse against Hazard than they did Paintsville. I think SV's speed will be a non-factor in a possible match-up because they don't have the size or speed of a UHA and Paintsville handled it well. A possible deficit that the Tigers may have in a game against SV is that all players don't follow their shots or crash the defensive glass to rebound the basketball.

1-Paintsville
2-SV
3-Allen Central
4-Pikeville
PhiSlamaJama#12 Wrote:A big man dont mean much when you have a team like SV that can totally take him out of the game with their fast defensive play. But dont get me wrong Paintsville could very well win the 15th.

Shelby Valley ain't faster than UHA, might not even be faster then Bardstown. If they are, they haven't showed it in the two games I have seen em play.
Not going to go into detail but thats my rankings as of now.

1)Paintsville
2)Shelby Valley
3)Pikeville
4)Allen Central
5)East Ridge
6)Belfry
7)Phelps
8)Johnson Central
9)Prestonsburg
10)Pike Central
11)Magoffin County
12)Lawrence County
13)Sheldon Clark
14)Betsy Layne
15)South Floyd
16)Piarist School
1. Paintsville....weakness......depth, defense
2. SV ....weakness......scary when you flip the switch on and off
3. Pikeville ....weakness......Do they have a scorer? That can lead a title run.
1)Paintsville
2)Shelby Valley
3)Pikeville
4)Allen Central
5)East Ridge
6)Phelps
7)Belfry
8)Johnson Central
9) Pike Central
10) P-Burg
11)Magoffin County
12)Lawrence County
13)Sheldon Clark
14)Betsy Layne
15)South Floyd
16)Piarist School
1. Paintsville- Their strong point is that they have 5 players out on the court that can shoot the ball very effectively, also Jeremy Pack coming off the bench is another great shooter who contributes great hustle and athleticism. A lot of people had criticized their defensive effort but after watching them play Pikeville they all played a heck of a defensive game especially in the last few minutes of the 4th and overtimes. There only downfall would have to be the lack of depth like previously said. If anyone starter gets in foul trouble, that spells trouble for them, they only go about 7 deep on the bench. So Paintsville really has to play smart the whole game and not pick up any cheap fouls. They made a fine showing in the ALL A State Tournament at EKU and although they lost to one of the best teams in the state they will come home with a load of momentum and a new experience making it that far to the tournament.

2. Shelby Valley- Valley will slowly by surely get back in their groove after their ALL A loss to Pikeville and what do they do? Defeat Pikeville by 24 on their home floor. I have seen them play a few times this year and they do have some depth on their bench but the loss of Taylor Newsome does hurt them drastically, but they do have a lot of good player who is carrying the load. Elisha Justice is the best ball handler in the 15th and he creates plays not only for himself but for his teammates as well. The ones you really have to watch out for is Hatfield and Bryant, they seem to be the scorers of the team and can score with ease. Great defensive team and well coached also. Valley will like always make a run for the 15th.

3. Allen Central- Johnny has his guys playing some great ball right now. Not only does he have the best 3-point shooter in the region, but the best in the state as well. Crum is leading the state in 3-point percentage. When you put a deadly 3-point shooter on the court with a point guard who loves to penetrate to the hoop and shoot little mid range jumpers that is a great duo and tough to beat. Hunter and Logan Crowder are tough minded players thats for sure and they have really come along this year. If they both get about 12-15 points a game and grab around 8 rebounds they would be tough to stop as well. Josh Prater is a heck of a player don't get me wrong, but if he had the heart to go along with the physical ability he has, he would be one of the best in the region IMO. Allen Central is playing excellent ball right now and Johnny gets the best out of them.

4. Pikeville- They get beat by Valley on their home floor and then beat a reeling Johnson Central team on a buzzer beater. They were dteremined to win the ALL A Tournament, after beating Valley and taking Paintsville to double OT I would be to. First off Matt Clevenger is a all class player and individual. He can shoot the ball, handle the ball and will do what it takes to win, he also is a clean player, shows great sportsmanship and I really like Clevenger. Adams has improved bigg time since last season with his post moves and hand eye coordination but there are still some things he needs to work on from what I have seen, that would be speed, agility and stamina, he is already strong as on ox so he has that advantage, overall he is a great player. Bart Williams is doing an incredible job with the Panthers and Pikeville will also make some noise come Tournament Time.

Now for 5-10 I am really not for sure. These are the 4 teams I have seen play the most so maybe someone can inform me on the other teams that are or would be deserving of the top 10.
-STAT- Wrote:1. Paintsville- Their strong point is that they have 5 players out on the court that can shoot the ball very effectively, also Jeremy Pack coming off the bench is another great shooter who contributes great hustle and athleticism. A lot of people had criticized their defensive effort but after watching them play Pikeville they all played a heck of a defensive game especially in the last few minutes of the 4th and overtimes. There only downfall would have to be the lack of depth like previously said. If anyone starter gets in foul trouble, that spells trouble for them, they only go about 7 deep on the bench. So Paintsville really has to play smart the whole game and not pick up any cheap fouls. They made a fine showing in the ALL A State Tournament at EKU and although they lost to one of the best teams in the state they will come home with a load of momentum and a new experience making it that far to the tournament.

2. Shelby Valley- Valley will slowly by surely get back in their groove after their ALL A loss to Pikeville and what do they do? Defeat Pikeville by 24 on their home floor. I have seen them play a few times this year and they do have some depth on their bench but the loss of Taylor Newsome does hurt them drastically, but they do have a lot of good player who is carrying the load. Elisha Justice is the best ball handler in the 15th and he creates plays not only for himself but for his teammates as well. The ones you really have to watch out for is Hatfield and Bryant, they seem to be the scorers of the team and can score with ease. Great defensive team and well coached also. Valley will like always make a run for the 15th.

3. Allen Central- Johnny has his guys playing some great ball right now. Not only does he have the best 3-point shooter in the region, but the best in the state as well. Crum is leading the state in 3-point percentage. When you put a deadly 3-point shooter on the court with a point guard who loves to penetrate to the hoop and shoot little mid range jumpers that is a great duo and tough to beat. Hunter and Logan Crowder are tough minded players thats for sure and they have really come along this year. If they both get about 12-15 points a game and grab around 8 rebounds they would be tough to stop as well. Josh Prater is a heck of a player don't get me wrong, but if he had the heart to go along with the physical ability he has, he would be one of the best in the region IMO. Allen Central is playing excellent ball right now and Johnny gets the best out of them.

4. Pikeville- They get beat by Valley on their home floor and then beat a reeling Johnson Central team on a buzzer beater. They were dteremined to win the ALL A Tournament, after beating Valley and taking Paintsville to double OT I would be to. First off Matt Clevenger is a all class player and individual. He can shoot the ball, handle the ball and will do what it takes to win, he also is a clean player, shows great sportsmanship and I really like Clevenger. Adams has improved bigg time since last season with his post moves and hand eye coordination but there are still some things he needs to work on from what I have seen, that would be speed, agility and stamina, he is already strong as on ox so he has that advantage, overall he is a great player. Bart Williams is doing an incredible job with the Panthers and Pikeville will also make some noise come Tournament Time.

Now for 5-10 I am really not for sure. These are the 4 teams I have seen play the most so maybe someone can inform me on the other teams that are or would be deserving of the top 10.

:notworthy

great post!
I believe AC moves down...P-burg moves up...SF should be ahead of BL...
Having now seen all of the top contenders play, I will say that as for the starting 5, Paintsville is hands down better than SV in 8 out of 10 games as any team can be off on a given night. I don't think that SV has a D any better than what the Tigers have already seen and handled. But Valley has the Tigers beat hands down on the bench! So the big question when they play (assuming they do play and assuming that both teams play their best) is what factor depth will play.

I personally think it will just come down to which team plays the best on the night they meet.
1. A.) Paintsville
1. B) Valley- I havent seen Paintsville play, so I cant pick between these two.
3. Pikeville- Dangerous team.
4. Belfry- These guys played Pikeville close right after football season. Beat ER and AC and is 2-1 agaisnt Pike Central.
5. AC Got some nice wins, I know Pburg beat them but I still place them here.
6.ER - Fundamentals are good
7. Pike Central- Not that bad of a team at all.
8. Johnson Central- as long as they aren't plying Sheldon Clark
9. Prestonsburg-Big win over AC
10. Phelps - Nice record but they will get burnt by a team in that 2-3 zone they play.

Didn't see Shelby Valley take the big man out in the all "A". Pikeville could very well take any team out of a tournament. Don't count them out in the tournaments.
shelby valley is a well coached team, but on any given night someone could beat them!!!
billy clyde Wrote:Didn't see Shelby Valley take the big man out in the all "A". Pikeville could very well take any team out of a tournament. Don't count them out in the tournaments.

Very true, they didnt take him out in the All A, because they went away from their style of play and slow the game down. But I did see them come back a week later and play SV's style of basketball and you would of never knew Pikeville had a big man.
blackcat_student Wrote:Not going to go into detail but thats my rankings as of now.

1)Paintsville
2)Shelby Valley
3)Pikeville
4)Allen Central
5)East Ridge
6)Belfry
7)Phelps
8)Johnson Central
9)Prestonsburg
10)Pike Central
11)Magoffin County
12)Lawrence County
13)Sheldon Clark
14)Betsy Layne
15)South Floyd
16)Piarist School

I agree with this one.
PhiSlamaJama#12 Wrote:Very true, they didnt take him out in the All A, because they went away from their style of play and slow the game down. But I did see them come back a week later and play SV's style of basketball and you would of never knew Pikeville had a big man.

That is why the teams (especially the favorites) have to stay focused! In the tourney you are one and done. One bad night or poor gameplan and you sit at home, even if you are the best.
Pages: 1 2