Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Who will make the playoffs in 2a?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
1. Pburg
2. Belfry
3. Shelby Valley
4. Sheldon Clark

IMO # 1 and 2 can goto either way depending on who wins the matchup.
Shelby Valley isn't losing to much and they seem to have alot of kids out with new coach Ben Howard.
Sheldon Clark should be improved and could possibly make some noise in the district.
East Ridge is going through another coaching change and will set them back again but have some talent coming up.
Teams that will make the playoffs in 2A, is prediction, that I will bet the farm comes true. Corbin, Wayne County, Casey County, and Garrard County will make the playoffs. The district only has four teams. Smile
1. P-Burg
2. Sheldon Clark
3. Belfry
4. East Ridge

Belfry and 3 and East Ridge even in it might be a stretch, but I think ER has enough talent to beat teams like SV, Magoffin, and Pike Central. Belfry is losing the big two this season, and won't be as good as Prestonsburg or Sheldon Clark. Sheldon Clark had a rough season last year, but should be ready to pop it back into gear with their young talent, and make a good run into the state tournament. I wonder how many of these I will actually get right Tongue
P'burg and Belfry are a given. But I think that this year both could possible be beaten.. It will be hard. but I think it is possible.. But they will still make playoffs..

The other two teams will be out of either P.C., S.V., E.R., S.C., and Magoffin

Pike Central lost a lot to graduation, but returns most of the key players except the QB. I don't know who will step up and play that position, but they return most of the line in Logan Clark, Chadd Blackburn, Cory Carter, and Cory Mullins. They also return RB Gordon Varney. With Coach Mac taking over I think they could possibly get a playoff spot. They are mostly a running team, and I don't think that will change even with the coaching change. However I think if they find a qb who can throw then they could possible put the ball in the air and do pretty good against most teams.

Shelby Valley also got a new coach in Ben Howard. I personally don't know much about his style of play, but hopefully they will have a better turnout of boys to play. They got the #4 spot last year due to a tie-breaker that didn't go their way and they will be looking for #3 this year. I'm not sure who they return and who they lost. But if they didn't lose much then they could possibly get a playoff spot also. They are mostly a running team and like Pike Central, if they develop a decent passing game then they could win some games against better teams.

East Ridge lost their showboat, who tried to gain every yard last year. But the kid could throw the ball. It might take them a while to clinch a playoff spot, but next year could be their first year due to the closeness of the district. They just have to win some key games, and it's possible but I don't see it happening next year.

Sheldon Clark, used to be a heck of a team when Matney was coach there. I can't remember who the coach is now but if he gets his boys in shape then they could be a force to be reckoned with.. They didn't do so hot last year because by the second half they always looked wore down. .They just need to get into shape and they could be a district front runner each year.

Magoffin County usually is a subpar team and I don't know enough about them to really say anything. They really put P.C. in a tight spot last year with their win over them. But I dont' see them making playoffs this year.

I think the district will be in no particular order

P'burg
Belfry
P.C.
S.V.

Now the district is closer this year than i have ever seen it. With the loss of Belfry's powerful backfield, and P'burgs many seniors, I think the smaller teams have a chance of making a game of those two teams, if they play like they are capapble of.. I can't wait for the season to start.
P-burg and Belfry are still in a league of there own, nobody has the talent they do IMO, but who knows we'll see when season comes around.
That's true for most seasons blackcat.. and I think that P'burg might be a little better than Belfry this coming year.. But I still think the district is closer than ever this year..
Belfry and Prestonsburg are #1 & #2 regardless of what they gradutated. The truth is Belfry & Prestonsburg graduate good football players every year, and every year Belfry & Prestonsburg are 4 TDs better than most everyone in the district, with Sheldon Clark being one exception.

Belfry lost their best backfield ever, but they were still mercy ruling the other district teams before those guys even wore Belfry red.

I'm glad the focus is to play at the Pirate and Blackcat level, but until it is proven on the field then it doesn't really mean much.

I call a spade what it is, a spade. Calling Belfry and Prestonsburg anything less than #1 & #2 in the district is not calling it like it is.
Good point Happy. It will probably always be Belfry and P-burg #1 and #2 with Sheldon Clark mixing it up on occasions.
Yes prestonsburg and belfry will always be a top their district for many years to come, and IMHO prestonsburg will be better than belfry this year due to the fact that belfry lost basically thier whole offense last year with jones and howard graduating, but that's just me who know how it will go.
Blackcat Pride Wrote:Yes prestonsburg and belfry will always be a top their district for many years to come, and IMHO prestonsburg will be better than belfry this year due to the fact that belfry lost basically thier whole offense last year with jones and howard graduating, but that's just me who know how it will go.

Prestonsburg lost 95% of their offense too. There isn't going to be anymore Comptons, Blackburns, Ousleys, J.M. Stephens, Chafins, etc.

Hamilton and Peters are back but Peters was used very little on offense and Hamilton is hardly a gamebreaker. He is a good football player, but not a take it to the house guy at all.
Yes Prestonsburg does lose alot of their offense, but we lose only one player on our o-line, and if im not mistaken our offensive line was our strong point in 2001 as well.....and I believe that Shaffer is just as good if not better than Compton, but your right Hamilton isnt a gamebreaker but he is definately the guy you want to have on a 3rd and 1, and most people dont know how fast Peters is, if you haven't seen him run go to one of P-Burg's track meets.......and if this tells ya anything he beat Chase Huffman in the 100m, him and David Jones are the only ones to do that....
Blackcat Pride Wrote:Yes Prestonsburg does lose alot of their offense, but we lose only one player on our o-line, and if im not mistaken our offensive line was our strong point in 2001 as well.....and I believe that Shaffer is just as good if not better than Compton, but your right Hamilton isnt a gamebreaker but he is definately the guy you want to have on a 3rd and 1, and most people dont know how fast Peters is, if you haven't seen him run go to one of P-Burg's track meets.......and if this tells ya anything he beat Chase Huffman in the 100m, him and David Jones are the only ones to do that....

Yeah, I know how fast he is. He's a very good athlete. I was jsut pointing out the fact that he was used very little on offense last year (in the games I saw).

BTW....I'm sure his speed wasn't what kept him from getting the ball more, it was merely the fact that he hasn't learned how to use his speed in a football sense. I don't know if he is faster than Joe Blackburn or not, but Joe left some big shoes to fill for Peters.
Myself, I see Leslie County making it pretty far in the playoffs next year. That's just IMO though. Idea
1. Belfry
2. Prestonsburg
3. Pike Central
4. Shelby Valley

I still see Belfry & Prestonsburg as the favorites....I think alot of people will be suprised what Belfry will do this year....I hope were underestimated again this year like we were last year.....So far so good !!!
PC and Belfry will be the 1 and 2 spots.

I think the third spot will go to SC and PC
Crazytaxidriver:
East Ridge lost their showboat, who tried to gain every yard last year. But the kid could throw the ball. It might take them a while to clinch a playoff spot, but next year could be their first year due to the closeness of the district. They just have to win some key games, and it's possible but I don't see it happening next year.

IMO East Ridge will gain to the better without the showboat! Having attended all of ER's games, because of the need to gain every yard by himself.... he really just hurt the team more than he helped. The backup quarter back, Andrew, who will no longer be playing at ER was really what ER needed to turn this team around next year. He stayed in the pocket and didn't try to dance, and trusted his teammates and threw the ball. ER could possibly have a chance, but it all depends on how bad they want it!!!
It wasn't the fact that he can't use his speed in a football sense, he was just behind an extremely good running back in Blackburn. Your right he will have some big shoes to fill, but I think that Brandon will step up and be a key part of the offense next year. IMO it might take him a game or two to get used to playing both ways though, but i guess we'll see how it plays out.....
Blackcat Pride Wrote:It wasn't the fact that he can't use his speed in a football sense, he was just behind an extremely good running back in Blackburn. Your right he will have some big shoes to fill, but I think that Brandon will step up and be a key part of the offense next year. IMO it might take him a game or two to get used to playing both ways though, but i guess we'll see how it plays out.....

I guess in a round about way I was trying to say he looks more like a WR to me, but he may have to play out of position @ RB.

I'm sure he will do fine though.
I totally agree, IMO Peters would be alot better at WR then at RB, but he is the best fit for us at RB so he will have to play that this year. But i believe he'll do just fine.
it will be hard for the up coming Belfry football team the fans will be wanting a three peat we all know that wont happen

1 Prestonburg
2 Pike Central
3Belfry
4 Sheldon Clark
Yes, the fans will be wanting a three peat, but i dont think that they'll get one....
though im thinking if they dont make it to Cardinal stadium, they'll give one hell of a run for it

1. Belfry
2.P-burg
3.SV
4.SC

no chance that PC would finish higher in the district than Belfry or P-burg, not any time soon anyways.....
Ron Mexico Wrote:1. P-Burg
2. Sheldon Clark
3. Belfry
4. East Ridge

Belfry and 3 and East Ridge even in it might be a stretch, but I think ER has enough talent to beat teams like SV, Magoffin, and Pike Central. Belfry is losing the big two this season, and won't be as good as Prestonsburg or Sheldon Clark.

Well, opinions are like a$$holes and everyone has one....

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Well, opinions are like a$$holes and everyone has one....

I have a hard time believing this will be anything close to correct. I just don't see Belfry any further than the 2 spot. Prestonsburg lost alot to graduation as well...seems like no one remembers that. Yes, Belfry did lose alot in the backfield, But I am 100 % positive by the time playoffs roll around the Boys from pond Creek will not lay down for anyone.....We are still the #1 ranked team in AA and the defending Back-2-Back Class AA State Champions.
[quote=""football fan""]it will be hard for the up coming Belfry football team the fans will be wanting a three peat we all know that wont happen

I'm awed by your mystic powers to forsee the future.....

BTW, I don't recall any Piratefan in this thread mentioning a three-peat....Make sure you read all posts before you reply.... 8)
...i mean ok they won 2 champs. back 2 back...thats still only 2!!....

and i believe the panthers of pikeville have won 3 state champs...boo-yah!!

(edited for content by BelfryPride)
Wow....How long ago was that again Von ???? I have a hard time remembering its been so long ago..... Smile
Who will be playing Half-backs for Belfry. Dose Belfry still have that Edwards guy? He is a Real good Kicker.
VonWafer_FSU Wrote:...i mean ok they won 2 champs. back 2 back...thats still only 2!!....

and i believe the panthers of pikeville have won 3 state champs...boo-yah!!

(edited for content by BelfryPride)

4...lol not back to back, but we have 4
undefeated 55' 87' 88' and lost one game in 89'
BelfryPride Wrote:Wow....How long ago was that again Von ???? I have a hard time remembering its been so long ago..... Smile

enjoy it while you can because that's what they'll be saying about belfry in a few years....
lol 20 years isn't that long ago is it?
I think P-burg and Belfy have to be the best coming out of the 2A class!
yea i'd say most of the time the winner of this region in 2A wins state.... or goes at least