Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Wedding Location?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am trying to plan my wedding and I need some opinions. We're considering getting married on a cruise because they are cheaper. It's a wedding and honeymoon all in one. But then again family and friends could not attend.

I'm stuck between a destination wedding with just me and him, and a church wedding here and a cheap honeymoon (hopefully Cancun!). Any advice would be appreciated. Remember, we're both working college students so its not like we can waste thousands of dollars.

Any cruise lines you recommend?
If it were me I would rather have a wedding at a home location. Especially if I have family that I want to attend that can't travel
If you have the wedding on a cruise then all of those friends and family could not attend. Yeah, it might look nice...maybe, but if you can't have 200 people show up, that's 200 less gifts that you'll receive at the wedding.
I'm not sure what your budget is but if you are shooting for a cruise line wedding or one on the beach or something else here is a link to a website I saw on the news not too long ago.

http://www.theweddingexperience.com/destination.html
I think if someone is on a budget it is great to get married outside in a pretty place, even at a home. You don't have to do as much decorating, and you can have the reception at the same spot. The only worry with is is rain! But I guess you could do tents, but those run into money.
I was actually having the same issue... I would love to get married this summer on the beach but I really want my family to be able to attend.
Depends if you want alot of family there...I would rather get hitched on a cruise.
Well I asked around and the average cost of a wedding is $15,000+. I for one can not afford that, haha. BUT I found a wedding package on a Carnival cruise for only $695!!

And I could always have a reception here when we got back, right? haha, I don't know. I'm still torn.
*Central_Cheer_Chick Wrote:Well I asked around and the average cost of a wedding is $15,000+. I for one can not afford that, haha. BUT I found a wedding package on a Carnival cruise for only $695!!

And I could always have a reception here when we got back, right? haha, I don't know. I'm still torn.

I'm sure that $15,000 number that you gathered included the reception as well.

The reception is probably what will cost you the most.
Yeah I think it did include the reception. What are some good locations around here?
Current Wedding Cost by Category

Wedding Attire $2,710
Wedding Ceremony $2,627
Wedding Favors & Gifts $1,166
Wedding Flowers $2,048
Wedding Jewelry $2,148
Wedding Music $991
Wedding Photography & Video $3,836
Wedding Reception $14,737
Wedding Stationery $881
Wedding Transportation $426
*Central_Cheer_Chick Wrote:Well I asked around and the average cost of a wedding is $15,000+.

ComfortEagle Wrote:Current Wedding Cost by Category

Wedding Attire $2,710
Wedding Ceremony $2,627
Wedding Favors & Gifts $1,166
Wedding Flowers $2,048
Wedding Jewelry $2,148
Wedding Music $991
Wedding Photography & Video $3,836
Wedding Reception $14,737
Wedding Stationery $881
Wedding Transportation $426

Those may be national averages, but I can promise that my wedding didn't cost anywhere near that amount! My wife and I were both poor college students at the time, and our families aren't loaded, so there was no way.

Still, we had a nice Pike County wedding at a church with all our family and friends, a nice reception at the church with food and cake (no booze!), and a great honeymoon at a beach condo in Florida. All without breaking the bank.
Wow! Sounds great. I know that the people at his mom's church said they'd decorate and fix all the food so we wouldn't have to worry about that. Just videography, photography, wedding attire, flowers, and stuff like that.

I wouldn't care to do invitations from Wal*Mart. Cheap and pretty. And I don't want my ceremony and reception at the same place so we'd have to rent someplace out. And we can't really find a place we like. We thought about asking the new Hampton hotel what they have available. The website looks like it has a pretty nice meeting room. But its probably expensive.

Then again, I like the thought of us being by ourselves. On a cruise!!! In the Bahamas and all that good stuff down there. Wedding and Honeymoon in one! And pay for a reception when we get back.

Three are pro's and con's to both I guess. I just needed some opinions.
You can do a lot of comparison shopping! I had a beautiful wedding here for less than 5000 dollars..... LESS than! PM me for some ideas and tips on vendors and where to save money!
The expense is always workable! What you first have to decide is whether you want to be alone or have all of the family and friends. You have to decide that before you worry about the money. Once you make up your mind on what you want, then you can always get it put together on a budget you can afford.
EKY Sportster Wrote:The expense is always workable! What you first have to decide is whether you want to be alone or have all of the family and friends. You have to decide that before you worry about the money. Once you make up your mind on what you want, then you can always get it put together on a budget you can afford.

That's what I'm having problems deciding :confused:
about videography - may I suggest an altenative - have a friend do it.

About 10 years ago, a friend of mine from college had her wedding done professionally. Her MoH & I were also friends and had went out a couple of times, and she had a nice, new video camera, so I told he to bring it with her and I'd shoot some, too. I shot some of the prep, stood in the back of the church during the ceremony so I wouldn't be on the other tape, shot some of the reception, the bouquet/garter tosses, and their exit/departure.
Since I knew her family and most of her crew, and the groom's dad (a fomer instructor of mine), I was able to roam & shoot where the hired guy didn't feel comfortable or have access (since he needed set-up time). I did some candid stuff and some "interview" stuff.

So, Kat ended up seeing her tape that night, but Mol had to wait a couple of weeks until the "editing" was done. After watching both, she ended up not buying extra copies of his but had Kat make copies from her/my tape.

(Disclaimer - I had done some "professional" work before, shooting furniture store "pan shots" for the local low-power TV station to use in some ads, and I had shot a video resume for another college buddy. But, still, how hard is it to set up a tripod and press a zoom button?)
I had a friend that got married in the Pikeville city park and it was beautiful. Plus, they didn't have to spend alot on decorations because the park has that gazeebo that makes a nice platform to get married on and doesn't require alot of decorating. They had their reception at what everyone calls the "old AEP building". It is owned by the church there across from the park. It's a pretty good sized open area and it may even have a kitchen area that you can use. We spent around $7,000 on our wedding and we had a major party afterwards. I think you'll find that you will be able to plan a really nice wedding for way under $15,000. Good Luck with what ever you decide!
Thanks guys! I'm not sure I'd trust my friends to video it, haha. One of my friends had her ceremony in the park too and it was gorgeous. But it seems like everyone gets married there. If I get married here I'd want it in a church or someplace unique!

But he is kinda dead set on the cruise wedding.