Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Possible dissension developing in Pittsburgh?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
TROUBLE BREWING BETWEEN HINES, BEN?

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger recently said he'd like to have a tall receiver. And one of the team's receivers of lesser stature apparently feels shortchanged.

"I'm always going to ask for a tall receiver," Roethlisberger told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. "That's just me. Our receivers are unbelievable, but our tallest guy might be Hines. Or Santonio [Holmes]. Hines is going to say he's 6 foot, but he's 5-11."

Said Ward in response: "I don't hear Tom Brady or Peyton Manning asking for that. I don't know, whatever he says. I have no idea. To me, it's a rare combination of receivers out there who are good and tall. We won a Super Bowl, we didn't have a tall receiver then. I don't see Tom Brady caring about who's tall or not. He got Randy this year, but he did it before without him."

We agree with Ward. Height is just one piece of the puzzle. For a quarterback who'd like to get away with being less accurate than he should be, a taller receiver provides convenient cover for off-target passes. Otherwise, it's about whether the guy can get open -- and whether he can make the catch.

The bigger problem with Roethlisberger's comments are that, like Donovan McNabb in Philly, Big Ben shouldn't be talking publicly about things that he wants the team to do. Asking for taller or better players is always going to be interpreted poorly by one or more of the guys in the locker room, and making the request publicly simply isn't the way that a leader of men should behave.
I agree that none of this should have been said publicly, but Big Ben is exactly correct. A tall receiver is a great safety valve for a QB to throw a jump ball to and the worst outcome will be an incomplete pass. The lack of height at the WR position can lead to a lot of sacks, which happened to Roethlisberger this season.

Also, Hines is correct to respond the way he did. He's an incredible receiver and having this out in the open he feels slighted.
Plaxico Buress? I bet they would still like to have him huh?
RedSeal Wrote:Plaxico Buress? I bet they would still like to have him huh?

I don't think so. As great as Plaxico has become, he was a poison to the Pittsburgh locker room. Also, he wasn't producing anything in Pittsburgh like he is now in NY.

It's not saying that he is or will be a poison everywhere, but something clearly happened behind the scenes that rubbed Plaxico the wrong way about the organization or vice versa.
Plaxico is a stud the five games he actually plays a year.. There is no trouble brewing in Pittsburgh. This will all be squashed in no time. I agree with both players though. As much as I love Hines Ward, he's not that tall, and he's definitely not a burner. But even though he's neither of those two, he's irreplaceable as a blocker and for the attitude he brings to the team. I'd love to see us pick up a 6'5 playmaker who can grab 70 or 80 balls a year. Who wouldnt? Big Ben didnt mean anything by that directed at anybody, but if you were to ask a QB throwing to a bunch of 6'0 recievers if they'd like to have a big target, whats he supposed to answer?
RedSeal Wrote:Plaxico Buress? I bet they would still like to have him huh?
Plaxico's work ethic and attitude got him ousted from Pittsburgh..your exactly right though..good post..
Tomcat68 Wrote:I don't think so. As great as Plaxico has become, he was a poison to the Pittsburgh locker room. Also, he wasn't producing anything in Pittsburgh like he is now in NY.

It's not saying that he is or will be a poison everywhere, but something clearly happened behind the scenes that rubbed Plaxico the wrong way about the organization or vice versa.
Listen...Big Ben can complain and cry all he wants, but let's see how bad it would be if he was in Washington, lol.! 4 WR's that are under 6'0! And guess who everyone has Washington grabbing this year in the first..anyone? Lavelle Hawkins 5-11 175 WR out of Cal...LOL..Unless they go with there brains and get Kentwan Balmer out of UNC! So BIG BEN, I agree with you, but QUIT COMPLAINING BECAUSE THINGS COULD BE A HECKUVA LOT WORSE...JUST CALL JASON CAMPBELL OR TODD COLLINS, LOL!
That has got to be one of the dumbest things for a QB to say to the media. Some QB's in the league don't even have a good receiver to throw to, and Ben Roethslisberger should feel blessed to have a talent like Hines Ward on his team. He's an overrated player on a very good football team, and needs to learn when to keep things to himself. Hines Ward was absolutley right to take offense.

If ol' Big Ben isn't happy with his receivers, the Bengals would gladly take Ward out of his hair...
He should have only told the coach. If hes that dumb I wouldnt have him as my QB.
Ben better watch out...Hines will beat him down and smile the whole time...lol.