Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Greatest Games in 15th Region History
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
What is the best game that you have ever seen in person?

For me, it would definately be the 1995 15th region All "A" Classic final between Allen Central and Paintsville, Jeremy Hall and Martin against Todd Tackett, JR Vanhoose and Craig Lyons, what a shootout, Hall was on fire, doing whatever he wanted with the ball, taking Tackett off the dribble, posting against Vanhoose, Vanhoose being unstoppable down low and ruling the boards.

Second would be the 03 Valley game against Pike Central in the regionals, nice double overtime thriller.
The 1990 regional tournament game between McDowell and Pikeville. Pikeville was ranked in the top 20 in the state that year. Had beaten some very good teams, Bryan Station being one of them, and was 25-4 coming in. McDowell was 13-16 coming in, and had lost to Pikeville earlier in the season by 27.

Pikeville led 29-10 after the first quarter. That is when McDowell started their run, cutting the lead to 6 at halftime. It stayed that way throughout the second half.

With 45 seconds left, McDowell was down 7. Stacey Hall then hit a 3. After a timeout, the Daredevils get a steal, and Barry Hall hits another 3. After a missed Pikeville freethrow, McDowell goes ahead on a Britt Stumbo reverse layup. But Pikeville answers back with a 3-point play to go up 2 with only 5 seconds left.

Then Stacey Hall gets fouled driving up court. Makes the first, misses the second, but the ball, after being tipped around off 3 or 4 hands, comes straight back to Hall, who is still standing at the stripe. In one motion, he catches the ball with one hands, and flips it off the backboard and through the net for an 83-82 win. An improbable feat!!

Stacey had 23 that night. His brother Marc also had 23. And Keith Shelton had 25. One of the greatest comebacks, and games, in 15th region tournament history.
A-TRAIN Wrote:What is the best game that you have ever seen in person?

For me, it would definately be the 1995 15th region All "A" Classic final between Allen Central and Paintsville, Jeremy Hall and Martin against Todd Tackett, JR Vanhoose and Craig Lyons, what a shootout, Hall was on fire, doing whatever he wanted with the ball, taking Tackett off the dribble, posting against Vanhoose, Vanhoose being unstoppable down low and ruling the boards.

Second would be the 03 Valley game against Pike Central in the regionals, nice double overtime thriller.

You mean Craig Ratliff.. On side note, Todd and J.R. were freshmen that year but I do remember Paintsville and Allen Central havin some battles that year.
Only one game comes to mind from high school playin days. The 2002 Region Semi's at Pike Central, Paintsville vs. South Floyd. South Floyd was up by as many as 25 in the 3rd quarter and we came back to win. The energy in that gym was amazin. It was so loud the entire 4th quarter you couldn't hear yourself think.
Redneck Wrote:You mean Craig Ratliff.. On side note, Todd and J.R. were freshmen that year but I do remember Paintsville and Allen Central havin some battles that year.

Or he could mean Brian Lyon, Craig graduated in the early 90's. Great game though.
I believe Lyon was 95 Grad and Craig Ratliff 96? So its possible either one of them could be who he is talking about. Lyon was the first one that came to my mind when he mentioned that game. He and Jeremy had some great matchups against each other that year and the year before.
slingblade93 Wrote:Or he could mean Brian Lyon, Craig graduated in the early 90's. Great game though.

No, Craig graduated in 1996 and played on the State Championship team....signed with UNC Greenville or Greensboro and instead signed with the Baltimore Orioles. Bryon Lyon graduated in '95.
slingblade93 Wrote:Or he could mean Brian Lyon, Craig graduated in the early 90's. Great game though.

Craig graduated in 96. Seems like Lyon graduated early 90's, maybe 93, 94. Don't
remember the exact year but he was before Ratliff.
1991-Pikeville vs. Shelby Valley in district finals

I think Brian graduated in 95' (got beat by Montgomery County in first round of Sweet Sixteen if I remember correctly), Craig Ratliff graduated in 96' (State Champs). Craig LYONS did graduate in the early 90's.
Elwayfan Wrote:1991-Pikeville vs. Shelby Valley in district finals

Shelby Valley has been a school that long? I had no idea, thought they became a school in the mid 90's.
Redneck Wrote:Shelby Valley has been a school that long? I had no idea, thought they became a school in the mid 90's.

Agreed, I thought SV didn't emerge until like '93 or so.
IRISH4 Wrote:Agreed, I thought SV didn't emerge until like '93 or so.
August 1990
Elwayfan Wrote:1991-Pikeville vs. Shelby Valley in district finals

The 90-91 season SV beat Millard in the championship by forty something.
I would have to think about this for a while but one good one was Painstville vs Pikeville at Elkhorn City. Pikeville got hosed. This was Vanhoose's Jr. or Sr. year cant remember.
Elwayfan Wrote:August 1990

Thanks for the correction, learn somethin' new everyday.
Two best that I can think of were Pikeville def. Paintsville in the 2005 All "A" semis @ Pikeville and Pikeville def Allen Central(OT) in the Regional semis in 2007.
I liked the game whenever Pike Central and East Ridge(boys) played at East Ridge in the 15th region Championship a couple of years ago. It came down to the last shot of the game and ER got off a shot with the time already expired. Refs said it counted though.....BLOWN CALL.....
5timechamp Wrote:The 90-91 season SV beat Millard in the championship by forty something.
You may be correct. It may have not been in the finals.
SpOrTsFaNaTiC711 Wrote:I liked the game whenever Pike Central and East Ridge(boys) played at East Ridge in the 15th region Championship a couple of years ago. It came down to the last shot of the game and ER got off a shot with the time already expired. Refs said it counted though.....BLOWN CALL.....

Shot clock had not went off when the ball left the players hand.
2007 57th District championship. Magoffin def. Paintsville at the buzzer in overtime
What about a few years ago 15th Region turny Champ game at Valley, Landon went for 50 against Valley and Valley still won.
Shelby Valley beating South Floyd by 60 or 70 whatever it was at Hi Hat in 2000.
[INDENT]
5timechamp Wrote:Shelby Valley beating South Floyd by 60 or 70 whatever it was at Hi Hat in 2000.
Then South Floyd went on to win the 15th region....

[/INDENT]
SpOrTsFaNaTiC711 Wrote:I liked the game whenever Pike Central and East Ridge(boys) played at East Ridge in the 15th region Championship a couple of years ago. It came down to the last shot of the game and ER got off a shot with the time already expired. Refs said it counted though.....BLOWN CALL.....

That game was at Prestonsburg and YES, the refs blew that one.
HotShot5 Wrote:Shot clock had not went off when the ball left the players hand.

Shot clock??? When did we start usin shot clocks? And YES, time ran out and the buzzer went off before the ball left his hands..
PC_You_Know Wrote:What about a few years ago 15th Region turny Champ game at Valley, Landon went for 50 against Valley and Valley still won.

That wasn't the championship game, but none the less it was a great game. Alot of controversy at the end of the 4th quarter too, Grimm should have been shootin 3 free throws instead of the bonus.
5timechamp Wrote:Shelby Valley beating South Floyd by 60 or 70 whatever it was at Hi Hat in 2000.

84-26
LIPS Wrote:[INDENT]Then South Floyd went on to win the 15th region....

[/INDENT]

Yes they did Valley never played a complete game after that game. Possibly the best 15th region team to not win the regional title.
5timechamp Wrote:Yes they did Valley never played a complete game after that game. Possibly the best 15th region team to not win the regional title.

Definately one of em...
Pages: 1 2 3 4