Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Anyone plant a garden?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am getting ready to do something on a bigger scale. I have always just had an herb garden with some tomatoes, grn. onions, raddishes, and grn peppers. I am getting ready to plant other things in my back yard area. Has anyone out there had any luck with backyard gardening and if so, what are some helpful hints?
Legal or illegal?
Now, here now... I'm serious REU! A few of us have been discussing gardening. We're gonna all do little gardens... I started with herbs and tomato fitted into my flower planters and that's gone so well, I want to do raised beds in a formal garden setting in my back yard. I would love to add other plants such as cucumbers and cabbages! I was just hoping someone on this site would have some helpful hints! (legal or illegal indeed.... you dawg!)
Haha, ok. I got plans for about the same thing. Was gonna try it this past summer, but didnt get moved in until like June and thought it was probably too late for it. I gonna take just about a 15X30 section in backyard and do some simple stuff like you mentioned. Any help is needed here also, cause I don't really have the slightest clue what to do except till it up and throw the stuff in the ground. Ought to be some weird combinations sprout up for me. Tongueuke:
I'd take a soil sample to the conservation office to have it tested. They will tell you what to add to your soil, as you work the soil, to help your garden be as successful as possible! Proper site prep is key to success! Good sunny location, good drainage.... all of these things are important. I am going to raise my beds... I'd love to have those things built and then add the proper soil mixture to them... this helps with several things... and saves you from breaking your back!

A well organized garden helps too.... pm me...

Remember, you don't have to plant inground gardens only... you can use many type of containers! I have planters across the front of my house... they are waist high and are very good for tomato plants, green peppers, Strawberries, green onions, and herbs.... I have parsley, chive, oregano, basil, dill, mint, sage... right along with my flowers! It's really cool!