Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Odell Thurman update
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
We will know soon if hes reinstated. Could be a real boost for our D.

Thurman applies for reinstatement
BY MARK CURNUTTE
MIAMI – Suspended Bengals linebacker Odell Thurman has applied for reinstatement from the NFL and should learn his fate in the second week of February.
Safarrah Lawson, one of Thurman’s representatives, said this afternoon that Thurman is optimistic and looking forward to playing again.
Thurman was suspended for one year for violation of the NFL substance abuse policy. His application for reinstatement in July was denied by the league, and he was told he could re-apply after the 2007 season.
Odell’s ready to play,” Lawson told the Enquirer. “Right now, he’s walking around at about 240 pounds. He’s in great shape.”
Thurman will go through an intense physical training program, similar to what he did before the 2005 draft, Lawson said. The Bengals selected Thurman in the second round in 2005, and he led the team in tackles as a rookie and had five interceptions.

“He’s 24 years old,” Lawson said when asked if Thurman could play after a two-year forced hiatus.

Thurman is splitting time between Greater Cincinnati and his hometown of Monticello, Ga. He is working out and regularly attending Alcoholics Anonymous and Narcotics Anonymous meetings and meeting with his counselor, Lawson said.

Thurman opened the 2006 season with a four-game suspension, but it was extended to a full year Sept. 27 following Thurman’s DUI arrest Sept. 25.

Thurman played in all 16 games as a rookie in 2005 and led the team with 148 tackles and four forced fumbles. He was named the NFL Defensive Rookie of the Month for September.
Staying on track after the NFL gave him the shaft, and, no, being in that great of shape he couldn't be doing anything that the league knows about and refuses to tell him or the public. Anyways, they'd tell us if he did do anything wrong that they found out about.

I'm wondering how this will effect the draft, because if he's reinstated, do we still take Laurinaitis if he's available and put Brooks and Odell on the outside or do we go with Keith Rivers and put him and Odell on the outside and Brooks in the middle (I don't think Odell's big enough to play middle, but we'll see)?

Do we take Sedrick Ellis in the first and hope a solid backer's avalaible in the later rounds?

I'd rather take a backer who can cause **** in the middle in the first and just assume we can get solid defensive ends and defensive tackles in any round after the first.
BFritz Wrote:I'm wondering how this will effect the draft, because if he's reinstated, do we still take Laurinaitis if he's available and put Brooks and Odell on the outside or do we go with Keith Rivers and put him and Odell on the outside and Brooks in the middle (I don't think Odell's big enough to play middle, but we'll see)?

Do we take Sedrick Ellis in the first and hope a solid backer's avalaible in the later rounds?

I'd rather take a backer who can cause **** in the middle in the first and just assume we can get solid defensive ends and defensive tackles in any round after the first.

You're right, this could greatly affect how the Bengals draft this April. But I was thinking more along the lines of if we get Thurman back, we don't need to take a LB in the first round. We still need more help on the D-line, and a top-notch tackle or end would be hard to pass up.

I noticed in your assessment of the Bengals' linebackers for next year that you left off Landon Johnson. Are you assuming he won't be back? I hope that's not the case, as he has been their most consistent LB the last couple years and can still make plays. I hope the Bengals make him a competitive offer. A starting LB group of Brooks, Thurman, and Johnson looks pretty good to me. Maybe they could pick up some LB depth in the later rounds.
More Cowbell Wrote:You're right, this could greatly affect how the Bengals draft this April. But I was thinking more along the lines of if we get Thurman back, we don't need to take a LB in the first round. We still need more help on the D-line, and a top-notch tackle or end would be hard to pass up.

I noticed in your assessment of the Bengals' linebackers for next year that you left off Landon Johnson. Are you assuming he won't be back? I hope that's not the case, as he has been their most consistent LB the last couple years and can still make plays. I hope the Bengals make him a competitive offer. A starting LB group of Brooks, Thurman, and Johnson looks pretty good to me. Maybe they could pick up some LB depth in the later rounds.
Johnson was the leading tackler last season, and maybe he'll keep producing, but something about him just makes me nervous and skeptical of his abilities. Who knows, maybe I'm being completely stupid. Johnson, Brooks, and Odell as our backers would be a nasty group (I'm looking at it objectively and not considering my bias against Johnson.) I'm putting my bias aside and agreeing that we should take a defensive end or defensive tackle early, preferably a good pass rusher.
BFritz Wrote:Johnson was the leading tackler last season, and maybe he'll keep producing, but something about him just makes me nervous and skeptical of his abilities. Who knows, maybe I'm being completely stupid. Johnson, Brooks, and Odell as our backers would be a nasty group (I'm looking at it objectively and not considering my bias against Johnson.) I'm putting my bias aside and agreeing that we should take a defensive end or defensive tackle early, preferably a good pass rusher.

If you are saying that Landon Johnson is not an elite linebacker, I agree with you. He isn't now and probably never will be. But he is dependable, makes plays, and has to be considered above average at his position. He is a solid starter in my book.

I really hope we can nab a DT or DE with our first round pick. I just don't know if there will be anybody available at #9 who would warrant that high of a pick. Both Dorsey and Long will be "long" gone by then, maybe Sedrick Ellis too. If that is the case, maybe they would be better served to trade down.
More Cowbell Wrote:If you are saying that Landon Johnson is not an elite linebacker, I agree with you. He isn't now and probably never will be. But he is dependable, makes plays, and has to be considered above average at his position. He is a solid starter in my book.

I really hope we can nab a DT or DE with our first round pick. I just don't know if there will be anybody available at #9 who would warrant that high of a pick. Both Dorsey and Long will be "long" gone by then, maybe Sedrick Ellis too. If that is the case, maybe they would be better served to trade down.

I didn't think about trading down, but that's a good possibility, or maybe even trading for a solid veteran defensive end/tackle (preferably in his earrly-to-mid 20s). I don't know if they'll be able to get a solid player for a number 9(?) pick, otherwise I agree, trade down.

If we can get Ellis, I say take him first round though.
More Cowbell Wrote:If you are saying that Landon Johnson is not an elite linebacker, I agree with you. He isn't now and probably never will be. But he is dependable, makes plays, and has to be considered above average at his position. He is a solid starter in my book.

And I forgot to mention about Johnson- he may be dependable, but right now, aside from just finally being able to stop people, I want crazy dudes in the box on defense who will just take pride in eating people's organs.
BFritz Wrote:And I forgot to mention about Johnson- he may be dependable, but right now, aside from just finally being able to stop people, I want crazy dudes in the box on defense who will just take pride in eating people's organs.

The reason why I like that he's dependable is just the general state of the Bengals' linebacking corps. With all the injuries and suspensions the last couple years, the group has been in such a flux, with really the only constant being Landon Johnson and all his tackles. If we have Brooks and Thurman starting next year, you're talking about two immensely talented but still very raw players who could use a steady influence like Johnson playing alongside them.

I agree with Sedrick Ellis. Grab him if he's there and start him alongside Peko.