Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: HELP: Anyone who knows about WWI
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am having trouble. I need some interesting facts about WWI that can't be found in a history book? Can anyone help?
Foreign Legionnaire is last French survivor of WWI AFP - Sun Jan 20, 11:56 PM ET
PARIS (AFP) - At 110 years old, an Italian-born Foreign Legionnaire who wants nothing to do with the state funeral proposed by former president Jacques Chirac is the last man standing in France from World War I.
You could talk about Stubby the Pit Bull:

"America's first war dog was a Pit Bull named Stubby who earned several medals and the rank of sergeant for his service in W.W.I. He received a hero's welcome and was even honored at the White House. He inspired the U.S. Military K-9 Corps. He also went on to become Georgetown University's mascot."
Have one for you. Breathitt County, KY was the only county in the entire United States to to fill its quota of service men for the war from volunteers. No draft had to be used to obtain men for service!!!!
Thanks a lot everyone...you have helped a ton.
J. R. VanHoose Wrote:Have one for you. Breathitt County, KY was the only county in the entire United States to to fill its quota of service men for the war from volunteers. No draft had to be used to obtain men for service!!!!

Wow, didn't know that. Very interesting
Brooks4Prez Wrote:Wow, didn't know that. Very interesting

I believe there is actually a road side marker for that in Breathitt County. Where I don't know. I think there is a website where you can look those up - Kentucky Historical Markers, or something to that effect!!!