Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Jack Kevorkian Speaks At Florida
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
On January 15th, Jack Kevorkian (Dr. Death) spoke at the University of Florida, a part of his first round of speaking engagements since his release from prison in June, 2007. He continues to speak out for the decriminalization of physician assisted suicide and said, "My aim was simply to end pointless suffering." When we make a determination that a beloved pet is suffering and will not recover, we say, "Let's put Ol' Blue out of his suffering." Why do we let grandmaw suffer?
I'm not totally sure how I feel about this. But I do believe that if I was in a lot of pain and suffering, I would want to be put out of it. If there is no hope for me and I will be in a hospital bed the rest of my life miserable, then I would probably want it. If the person makes the decision, then it should be done, I think??? Really confused about it because it goes against my religion.
I agree that there is no point in wasting time and money by extending someone's suffering for another week, or another month; especially if they don't want to live anymore, but I don't exactly know how it should be done.
Dr. Jack was correct in what he did. Unfortunatley politics placed him in jail. It is not like Dr. Jack assisted everyone who wanted to die. He had protocols before assisting his clients.