Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Great year so far for the Mountains!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
It doesn't matter if you use Cantrell, AP, Coaches or MaxPreps ratings. Mountain teams might be enjoying their best year yet!
Shelby Valley, June Buchannon, Paintsville, Elliot Co. Hazard Corbin and Cumberland are all having great years!
This is making all of us proud and scaring the crap outta the rest of the State, when they know they had better play well when coming up against us, or they might get sent packing!
I am not getting involved in who is better than who in the mountains this year. I am just going to cheer for them all! Except of course when they play the Tigers!
It does seem like several teams from the mountains are receiving attention in the state wide rankings. That's great! I'm glad to see it, but it also seems to me like the mountains are weaker than ever from top to bottom. Don't get me wrong there are some really good teams in the 13th, 14th, & 15th regions, but overall the regions are really weak IMO. Just look at the 15th for example, after SV and Paintsville, the level of play drops off dramatically. Then take the 14th, IMO no one really has a shot at winning that region either except for JBS & Hazard. The 13th is probably the toughest & even its down from past years. Hey, It's great some teams are ranked higher than ever, but overall I am sorry to say I think the mountains are weaker than ever. Just my opinion.
Junk Yard Dog Wrote:It does seem like several teams from the mountains are receiving attention in the state wide rankings. That's great! I'm glad to see it, but it also seems to me like the mountains are weaker than ever from top to bottom. Don't get me wrong there are some really good teams in the 13th, 14th, & 15th regions, but overall the regions are really weak IMO. Just look at the 15th for example, after SV and Paintsville, the level of play drops off dramatically. Then take the 14th, IMO no one really has a shot at winning that region either except for JBS & Hazard. The 13th is probably the toughest & even its down from past years. Hey, It's great some teams are ranked higher than ever, but overall I am sorry to say I think the mountains are weaker than ever. Just my opinion.
I have to disagree.
Sure, there are only a couple or maybe three teams at the most that have a shot at winning their respective regions. But to say that the mountains are weak overall is off a bit. IMO
Nearly every region in the state can only go about 3-4 deep at best with teams that can compete statewide. And only about three teams in each region have a serious shot of winning their regions as well. The fact that all mountain regions have teams that are competitive at the state level is what makes me proudest.
Good to see the mountain teams winning.
I think our boys are finally starting to get some respect.
Running Man Wrote:Good to see the mountain teams winning.
I think our boys are finally starting to get some respect.
That's for sure....heck, in '96 when Paintsville won state, they were ranked 15th out of the 16 teams!
Rolleyes
The Guru Wrote:I have to disagree.
Sure, there are only a couple or maybe three teams at the most that have a shot at winning their respective regions. But to say that the mountains are weak overall is off a bit. IMO
Nearly every region in the state can only go about 3-4 deep at best with teams that can compete statewide. And only about three teams in each region have a serious shot of winning their regions as well. The fact that all mountain regions have teams that are competitive at the state level is what makes me proudest.

I'm proud of that fact too and those teams you mentioned earlier are great. I just think that in years past (not every year mind you) the mountain regions (especially the 15th) have been more balanced from top to bottom. This year it's basically a two team race IMO. I agree that in most regions throughout the state there are usually only a couple of teams that have a legitimate shot at winning it. But, I can recall years in the 15th when it was anybody's guess as to who would win it. I would just like to see a more balanced region. I think it makes for a more exciting season :Thumbs:
The Guru Wrote:I have to disagree.

I AGREE!!!!!!!!! Barring a good draw in the sweet sixteen, we could have two teams from the mountains in the Elite Eight.
would love to see a mountain team come up and do good in the sweet sixteen. Makes things a lot more interesting for people in eastern Kentucky!Big Grin