Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Betsy Layne's Jared Newman Cleared to Play
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just thought that I would let everyone know.

uk96

Who?
Wow! I didn't see this coming. I honestly thought the khsaa would not let him play this year. This may really change things as far as the 58th district goes anyway. It will be interesting to see how well BL does the rest of the way now that they have their entire team. Congrats BL & J. Newman!
Good luck to him and Betsy Layne.
All he has to do now is get into basketball shape. Learn to go with the flow in the offense with the timing on picks. He has to go from the first day of official practice to Tourney ready in 6 weeks. Good luck to him and to Betsy Layne.
Is this the big man for BL?
HoRnEt4EvEr Wrote:Is this the big man for BL?

yes
HoRnEt4EvEr Wrote:Is this the big man for BL?

Yepp. With the addition of Newman, things just got interesting in the 58th big time.
This should help Betsy Layne a lot. Good luck to you.
Great news for Bobcats of Betsy Layne!!! Congrats.
WELL CONGRATULATIONS BETSY LAYNE and NEWMAN!!!!!!!!!!!!! Any chance Slone will play this year for the bobcats?
yes im pretty sure that slone newman and lafferty is back
Everybody being able to come back is great for BL!! I wonder if there will be enough playing time to keep everybody now. :confused: I think coach Hall will have his hands full. Good problem to have though.
Why was he ineligible, and how do you get eligible in the middle of a season?
slingblade93 Wrote:Why was he ineligible, and how do you get eligible in the middle of a season?
Why he was ineligible is unimportant now that he is eligible.

You get eligible in the middle of the season by filing and winning an appeal.
Good to hear for the Bobcats. Hope he does well.
CONGRATS TO BL AND NEWMAN.....i look for the bobcats to go far now!!!:rockon:
Congrats to Newman... His addition does make the district more interesting.
This is not fair by any means....this kid broke rules and now is getting to play....
I just hope that the people at Betsy Layne is expecting a turn around. Dont put the pressure on the boy. Let him play and enjoy himself and if he does good and it does turn the program around, be happy, if they stay the same or a little bit better, then so be it. Just be happy with what you have on the court and dont hope for the unreachable.
Uhhhhhh !!!! ooooohhhhh !!!!! for the Conference foes. Newman is a banger !!!
To answer a question posed earlier, Newman was ineligible because he graduated from John M. Stumbo Elementary in 2003, meaning he should have been a High School graduate in 2007. He was home schooled for 3 years before coming to Betsy Layne last year. He was listed as a Junior last year when, in all honesty, he should have stayed on pace to graduate and been a Senior. The KHSAA declared him ineligible for this and his appeal was upheld for some reason beyond me. While it's great he's getting to play, IMO he got away with one here and drastically shifted the balance of power in the 58th district. Before this, I had Allen Central and Prestonsburg in the 58th district title game but now, I don't know. While this is a big event for Betsy Layne in the 58th district, it doesn't make a bit of difference in the 15th region. They still don't stand a chance against Shelby Valley, Paintsville, and Pikeville nor does anyone else in this region. Just figured I'd let everyone know that. But anyhow, best of luck to Newman and the Betsy Layne Bobcats!
This is completely not fair IMO. I dont see how KHSAA allows him to play. This is good for BL and will shake the district up now but completely not fair at all to all other teams.
Is this kid related to John Newman that was from BL but transferred to Pikeville in the early to mid 90's.
PLEASE READ:

Lets set somethings straight...first of all if the kid broke the rules then he wouldn't be allowed to play now and it is more than fair that he gets to. The only reason the he has been out as long as he has is simply because they had to wait for the hearing....so deal with it...he's back and BL will go far.... and correct me if I'm wrong but BL almost beat Shelby Valley last year during the reginal tournment when they had NEWMAN and if i remember correctly last year when BL played Paintsville at the beginning of the year (without NEWMAN) Paintsville blowed then out of the gym, but later in the season when BL had NEWMAN, I do believe that BL won that game or came mighty close.... leave the KID again and let him play.....
the_real_bball_star Wrote:PLEASE READ:

Lets set somethings straight...first of all if the kid broke the rules then he wouldn't be allowed to play now and it is more than fair that he gets to. The only reason the he has been out as long as he has is simply because they had to wait for the hearing....so deal with it...he's back and BL will go far.... and correct me if I'm wrong but BL almost beat Shelby Valley last year during the reginal tournment when they had NEWMAN and if i remember correctly last year when BL played Paintsville at the beginning of the year (without NEWMAN) Paintsville blowed then out of the gym, but later in the season when BL had NEWMAN, I do believe that BL won that game or came mighty close.... leave the KID again and let him play.....

That was last year, this is this year. If they make it to the reg. IMO they have not got a chance.
slingblade93 Wrote:That was last year, this is this year. If they make it to the reg. IMO they have not got a chance.

WELL IMO, with the 3 players they have gained making it to the REGION want be a problem and once they get there if they play team ball and keep their selves under control then I think they will go a lot farther than EVERYONE is giving them credit for!!!
the_real_bball_star Wrote:

WELL IMO, with the 3 players they have gained making it to the REGION want be a problem and once they get there if they play team ball and keep their selves under control then I think they will go a lot farther than EVERYONE is giving them credit for!!!
I AGREE!!!!!!!
the_real_bball_star Wrote:

Well think if you wish, but they have a better chance getting to regional than advancing once they get there. Anyway, congrats and good luck!