Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Parvo and Pups
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Well I have a four month old pup Pit Bull I just got and havent had a chance to take her and get her shots. Well we woke up this morning and she was throwing up white foam type substance. Well I took her to the Tri-State Animal ER in Kenova WVa.. Well they told me that she had Parvo. And wanted to keep her over night to give her fluids and that was about all they could do other then give her a shot to keep her from throwing up. But they said I could do it at home. Well I thought that if she doesnt pull through that I want her to be with me.

So has anyone else had to deal with Parvo.

Here is a couple of picture of her. Poor thing
[Image: HPIM1141.jpg]
[Image: HPIM1144.jpg]
Thats a pretty dog... Hope everything works out for you and her buddy.
She has lost so much weight the last couple of days. I really didnt notice it until today while I was sitting over there in the ER waiting on them to come out and get her.
I have had 3 run-ins with parvo.
On the first, it hit a christmas gift pup of my son's. A Dalmation pup. He didn't make it.
The next was on a beagle pup that got it at a very early age as well and same result.
The third time was a beagle that got it at about 4 months of age and made it !!
Good luck with her!
i worked at a vet clinic and when we treated dogs with parvo they were basically put on iv. Dehydration is a major factor and is hard on the kidneys. I have seen many young dogs and pups make a complete recovery. Good luck, she is beautful.
Man I hate to hear that for both you and the dog. I have been lucky with dogs so far. The girls have been pretty healthy.

Prayers for both you and the pup.
Sure hate that as I am a HUGE animal lover! Everything will work out..Just gotta think positive! Pretty dog to btw!
Man she just threw up everything she ate since we got back from the vet and wont eat or drink.
We got a pup a year or so ago that got parvo. My uncle has this "touch" with animals (seeing as he is close to 80 years old) and has fooled with them all his life. I took him (the puppy) over to him and he gave her some type of meds and within 2 days the puppy was back to himself!! I will ask and see what it was he did for him and let ya know....
Luckily I haven't had any that have gotten parvo. From watching Animal Cops on the Animal Planet I do know that the earlier you catch the parvo, the better chances the dog has.

Usually by the time they find the dogs or are notified of their condition it's too late, but it sounds like you took it to the vet at the first sign that anything was wrong.

Hopefully, it will pull through.
I've had to deal with it a few times. We took them to the vet and they did what they could and when we brought them home we would squirt beat up raw eggs and gatorade down their throat because they couldn't eat or drink anything and keep it down. I've heard to put clorox in a syringe and shake it up then pour it out... then use that syringe with gatorade or water and squirt it down them because it will kill a lot of germs but I haven't tried that one. Also, some vets will give you an IV bag and let you run the fluid under their hide so their body will absorb the fluid. Most of them lived it but it was rough.
I hope she pulls through for you.
phs1986 Wrote:We got a pup a year or so ago that got parvo. My uncle has this "touch" with animals (seeing as he is close to 80 years old) and has fooled with them all his life. I took him (the puppy) over to him and he gave her some type of meds and within 2 days the puppy was back to himself!! I will ask and see what it was he did for him and let ya know....

Yea I would greatly owe you.

My cousin gave me a mix of an egg, corn flakes, sugar, peanutbutter and something else. Said that it flushes there system out and makes them hyper and makes them eat better. And from the Size of his dog I would say so. But she wont touch anything right now.
Batpuff Wrote:Yea I would greatly owe you.

My cousin gave me a mix of an egg, corn flakes, sugar, peanutbutter and something else. Said that it flushes there system out and makes them hyper and makes them eat better. And from the Size of his dog I would say so. But she wont touch anything right now.

I know for the first day he told me not to force the puppy to eat.... to take a dropper and give him water, water, water...... maybe you could get yours to hold the water down and keep him/her hydrated!! I will ask tomorrow morning and PM you as soon as I get back home!!
phs1986 Wrote:I know for the first day he told me not to force the puppy to eat.... to take a dropper and give him water, water, water...... maybe you could get yours to hold the water down and keep him/her hydrated!! I will ask tomorrow morning and PM you as soon as I get back home!!

Yea I have been try to give her water.
Batpuff Wrote:Yea I have been try to give her water.

HEY... I would try some pedialite(sp??).... it is what they give babies when they are dehydrated.... maybe she could hold some of that down....
If you get anymore puppies make sure you get their shots ... because the virus will stay around the house for a long time.
I'll pray for you and your puppy! It is so gorgeous!! I hope she'll be okay. Just show her that you love her a lot. Like, love on her a lot more (pet, hug, kiss) A vet told me and my family to do this anytime our puppies got sick. She said it gives them even more of a reason to pull through. I've had some pretty close calls with my dogs and they've always been okay. I had one that had cancer and she lived until she was almost 14...she passed away a few months ago.

I'll keep you and this puppy in my prayers...I REALLY hope she pulls through this!!!
Have a feeling I'm not going to be real popular on this thought, but here goes anyways..........

As a pup, I will agree it is a cute dog, and I certainly dont want to see any animal suffer and possibly die, but I just have to wonder why any individual would want to harbor a breed of animal that was bred to kill, and will in a heartbeat. Think of how many helpless and innocent kids ( and adults) that have been mauled and killed by this viscious breed of dog for absolutely no apparant reason. And dont tell me how gentle this breed can be, because they can all turn on it's master (master's child, neighbors child, etc.) in the blink of an eye. This breed should be outlawed in the United States...period.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:Have a feeling I'm not going to be real popular on this thought, but here goes anyways..........

As a pup, I will agree it is a cute dog, and I certainly dont want to see any animal suffer and possibly die, but I just have to wonder why any individual would want to harbor a breed of animal that was bred to kill, and will in a heartbeat. Think of how many helpless and innocent kids ( and adults) that have been mauled and killed by this viscious breed of dog for absolutely no apparant reason. And dont tell me how gentle this breed can be, because they can all turn on it's master (master's child, neighbors child, etc.) in the blink of an eye. This breed should be outlawed in the United States...period.

First of all the entire post was off topic.

Second of all it is not the breed but irresponsible owners that have made them what they are today. Any dog out there can turn on their owners but with proper trsining, love and affection most dogs including Pits can be wonderful, faithful loyal dogs.

What about Bull Mastifs, Rotts, Dobermans, Cane Corsos, Boxers. Should they all be destroyed or banned just because they have made the news or people are scared of them? Why punish the responsible owners out there?
Midee1 Wrote:First of all the entire post was off topic.

Second of all it is not the breed but irresponsible owners that have made them what they are today. Any dog out there can turn on their owners but with proper trsining, love and affection most dogs including Pits can be wonderful, faithful loyal dogs.

What about Bull Mastifs, Rotts, Dobermans, Cane Corsos, Boxers. Should they all be destroyed or banned just because they have made the news or people are scared of them? Why punish the responsible owners out there?

Agreed. English Bulldogs were bred to fight and kill as well, and they're one of the most gentle breeds now.

It's not the dog, it's the owner. I know people who have had mean Dachshunds because they treat them to be that way when they're young. And others with Boxers that wouldn't even consider barking or biting. If you're not an idiot that tries to teach your dog to be a bad *** then your dog won't cause harm.
I had two pits living inside with a yorkie. its all in how u raise them. they were gentle enough that I could stick my hand in their food bowl and not get a growl. I've had a few dogs get parvo. some lived and some died so I'm not sure what to tell ya
Midee1 Wrote:First of all the entire post was off topic.

I kind of figured that that would be the reaction that I would get.Smile

The truth is that several of the other breeds that are mentioned do not have the jaw force that pit pulls do. Not the breed you say??? Killing is the only thing that this breed was designed and bred to do. I am sure that everyone that owned one of these dogs that has killed a child was saying the exact same thing as some of you all are saying. And it has happened time and time again. A responsible owner to me would be someone that is wise enough to see the potential danger, and choose another breed. Same thing to me as having a rattlesnake as a pet. If you like snakes, get a garter snake. I personaly just cant understand the fascination.

Terrible thing that someone would have to have on their conscience for the rest of their lives to me, if I owned one that killed a child.

Sorry for being off topic, as you said.
ComfortEagle Wrote:Agreed. English Bulldogs were bred to fight and kill as well, and they're one of the most gentle breeds now.

It's not the dog, it's the owner. I know people who have had mean Dachshunds because they treat them to be that way when they're young. And others with Boxers that wouldn't even consider barking or biting. If you're not an idiot that tries to teach your dog to be a bad *** then your dog won't cause harm.

Tell that to all the parents that had one of their children killed by one of those things too.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:Tell that to all the parents that had one of their children killed by one of those things too.

Here's a stat for you:

"According to the American Canine Temperament Testing Association, 82.5%of the American Pit Bull Terriers that took the temperament test passed, compared to a 77% passing rate for all breeds on average."

82.5% is the 4th highest passing rating among ALL dog breeds.

That means that Pit Bulls, as a breed, are better tempered than the majority of all other breeds on average.

The problem is, Pit Bulls are an extremely loyal and eager to please breed, and some bad owners know this and use it to train them for the wrong purposes.

Since 1975, dogs belonging to more than 30 breeds have been responsible for fatal attacks on people, including Dachshunds, a Yorkshire Terrier, and a Labrador Retriever.

Since 1998 the breed most responsible for fatal dog attacks has been the Rottweiler, not the Pit Bull.

To sum things up, bad owners make bad dogs.
Here are some other facts.

Stubby, a pit bull, used in WWI is the most decorated dog in US history.

Weela, a pit bull from Southern California, has saved 30 people, 29 dogs, 13 horses, and a cat during a flood in 1993.

Pit Bulls are commonly used as therapy dogs. Whether they are visiting a senior care facility or helping someone recover from an emotional accident, Pit Bulls are making a mark as outstanding therapy dogs.

Pit Bulls are used in Search and Rescue work. One example of well known SAR Pit Bulls is Kris Crawford and her dogs. Kris and her dogs have helped save the lives of many people during their efforts. (Here we have a pit bull saving lives, rather than taking them as previously suggested)

Pit Bulls serve as narcotic and bomb sniffing dogs. One Pit Bull, Popsicle (named that because he was found in an old freezer) has the largest recorded single drug find in Texas history.

Pit Bulls are great with kids. They weren't referred to as the "nanny's dog" for nothing that's for sure.

Pit Bulls are not human aggressive. The American Pit Bull Terrier as a breed is not human aggressive. In fact, quite the opposite is true of the breed. They are gentle and loving dogs. Like any dog individuals can be unsound and have behavior problems.

The Pit Bull was so popular in the early 1900's they were our mascot not only in World War One, but World War Two as well. They were featured on recruiting and propoganda posters during this time period.

Sgt. Stubby. A Pit Bull war hero. Stubby was wounded in action twice, he saved his entire platoon by warning them of a poison gas attack and he single handedly captured a German spy. (Again, saving lives rather than taking them)

Pete the Pup on the orginal Little Rascals was a Pit Bull.
Great posts ComfortEagle! Thanks for all the info and for taking up for such a wonderful and underestimated breed! I have a pit bull and he is such an amazing little boy and has such a great heart. He's been hit by a car twice now (he's barely a year old) but he keeps on going. I'm thinking about changing his name to Energizer, haha. Oh well, got a little off track.

Thanks again for taking up for this poor puppy and for the whole breed!
ComfortEagle Wrote:Here's a stat for you:

"According to the American Canine Temperament Testing Association, 82.5%of the American Pit Bull Terriers that took the temperament test passed, compared to a 77% passing rate for all breeds on average."

82.5% is the 4th highest passing rating among ALL dog breeds.

That means that Pit Bulls, as a breed, are better tempered than the majority of all other breeds on average.

The problem is, Pit Bulls are an extremely loyal and eager to please breed, and some bad owners know this and use it to train them for the wrong purposes.

Since 1975, dogs belonging to more than 30 breeds have been responsible for fatal attacks on people, including Dachshunds, a Yorkshire Terrier, and a Labrador Retriever.

Since 1998 the breed most responsible for fatal dog attacks has been the Rottweiler, not the Pit Bull.

To sum things up, bad owners make bad dogs.
King Cobras bites are more deadly than copperhead bites too. I guess we should all go out and get a pet copperhead then. Think about what you are saying.

I am sure all those important stats that you just ripped off are why Pit Bulls and other dangerous breeds have been in fact banned in many communities across the nation. Tell the mother of the late Cindy Lou, whom was just walking to the playground all your meaningful stats.Rolleyes

The problem in this country, animal activists care more about creatures that were put on this earth to serve man, than men themselves. It's a screwed up world in which we live.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:King Cobras bites are more deadly than copperhead bites too. I guess we should all go out and get a pet copperhead then. Think about what you are saying.

I am sure all those important stats that you just ripped off are why Pit Bulls and other dangerous breeds have been in fact banned in many communities across the nation. Tell the mother of the late Cindy Lou, whom was just walking to the playground all your meaningful stats.Rolleyes

The problem in this country, animal activists care more about creatures that were put on this earth to serve man, than men themselves. It's a screwed up world in which we live.

The banning of pit bulls and other "dangerous" breeds is due to hysteria and the constant pushing of the blame in our society. No one wants to blame the dog owner, instead they just want to say that it's in the dog's nature, when it's not. I have just proven that with the temperament test I just mentioned above. I have just shown that pit bulls are not violent by nature, but you refuse to believe that. It is the recent portrayal of pit bulls as violent killing machines that have caused people to believe they're violent murdering dogs. They are not. Saint Bernards are an example of another breed that people shied away from in the past. After the movie Cujo, people thought St. Bernards were mean, crazy, killing machines, but I can tell you from experience that they are very protective, loving, animals.

Guns don't kill people, the people that shoot the guns are the ones who kill people. Same with dogs, it is not in the dogs inherent nature to attack a person, it's the owners that train them for dogfighting, neglect them, etc. that make the dogs violent.

I just posted several instances where pit bulls saved lives, so you can keep repeating that pit bulls are nothing but killing machines, but it's unfounded.
ComfortEagle Wrote:Here are some other facts.

Stubby, a pit bull, used in WWI is the most decorated dog in US history.

Weela, a pit bull from Southern California, has saved 30 people, 29 dogs, 13 horses, and a cat during a flood in 1993.

Pit Bulls are commonly used as therapy dogs. Whether they are visiting a senior care facility or helping someone recover from an emotional accident, Pit Bulls are making a mark as outstanding therapy dogs.

Pit Bulls are used in Search and Rescue work. One example of well known SAR Pit Bulls is Kris Crawford and her dogs. Kris and her dogs have helped save the lives of many people during their efforts. (Here we have a pit bull saving lives, rather than taking them as previously suggested)

Pit Bulls serve as narcotic and bomb sniffing dogs. One Pit Bull, Popsicle (named that because he was found in an old freezer) has the largest recorded single drug find in Texas history.

Pit Bulls are great with kids. They weren't referred to as the "nanny's dog" for nothing that's for sure.

Pit Bulls are not human aggressive. The American Pit Bull Terrier as a breed is not human aggressive. In fact, quite the opposite is true of the breed. They are gentle and loving dogs. Like any dog individuals can be unsound and have behavior problems.

The Pit Bull was so popular in the early 1900's they were our mascot not only in World War One, but World War Two as well. They were featured on recruiting and propoganda posters during this time period.

Sgt. Stubby. A Pit Bull war hero. Stubby was wounded in action twice, he saved his entire platoon by warning them of a poison gas attack and he single handedly captured a German spy. (Again, saving lives rather than taking them)

Pete the Pup on the orginal Little Rascals was a Pit Bull.
Truely heart warming and touching stories.

The problem is when they do turn, they are deadly. There is a reason why tigers and lions and other breeds of exotic cats are banned from society as well. Ask Stigfried and Roy about how well they loved their cats, and then look what happened. I guess they were bad owners too.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:Truely heart warming and touching stories.

The problem is when they do turn, they are deadly.

No they aren't.

There are 4.7 million dog bites every year; on average 12-15 people die from dog bites per year.

Of the fatal dog attacks, Rottweilers were the most commonly reported breed in the attacks.

Only 0.00001% of all dog bites result in fatalities.
Pages: 1 2