Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Shelby Valley 76, Betsy Layne 57
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Final as per KHSAA.org.

I had thought the margin would be a little bigger, but it appears some of the posters who predicted a difference of about 19-20 points were right on.

Anyway, congrats to both teams. If someone was at the game and can give a recap or has stats, please do so.
Geez i thought valley win by a lot more then that.
Something had to go wrong...hasn't BL been getting dominated by teams all year?
They've been getting beat pretty bad, but I don't really think a 19 point is exactly cutting it close unless the score is deceiving.
Backups probably played a lot and BL's starters stayed in. But usually it seems Valley plays to the level of weaker teams and steps it up when big competition comes.
I'm looking forward to seeing Shelby Valley play.
PC_You_Know Wrote:Backups probably played a lot and BL's starters stayed in.

My understanding is that this wasn't the case at all. Shelby Valley was just unable to force alot of turnovers, very much like the East Ridge game. Give Betsy Layne credit for playing much closer than most expected.
haha wow nice game for both teams cant wait too see paintsville and valley play wat a game it will be valley didnt seem to get on tongith i watched the game alot of bad calls to and the starters stayin n the whole time but it was a good game i expected a blow out tho but no biggy
very surprising...did adam slone play for BL 2nite?...
NO Slone didn't play. Betsy Layne was only down 10 at the half with several missed layups and free throws. Case and Keathley both looked pretty good tonight for the bobcats, and so did the freshman Martin. Martin is gonna be something to watch in the next few years. Has one of the nicest strokes I've seen from a freshman. Good team play from Valley, however I think #10 can cut down on the hot dog moves. Several behind the back passes for turnovers in this game, which may hurt him against a better team like Paintsville. JMO
Valley didnt play to their full potential, but i thought a few calls were alittle lop sided.......Congrats BL, hard fought game
Wink congrats valley
For Valley:

Elisha Justice had 17 points, 7 rebounds, 6 steals, and 3 assists.
Ashley Hatfield had 16 points, 6 rebounds, and 4 assists.
Tyler Newsome had 15 points.
Jonah Justice had 10 points, 8 rebounds, and 3 assists.
Jacob Bryant had 8 points, 6 rebounds, and 6 assists.
Logan Bryant had 6 points and 4 assists.
Curby Tackett had 4 points, 3 rebounds, and 2 assists.
Cody Varney had 2 rebounds.

Unofficially, Valley shot 31-60 (51%) from the field.
They shot 5-16 (31%) from the 3 point line.
They shot 9-16 (56%) from the free throw line.
They had 33 rebounds, 22 assists, 13 steals, 11 turnovers, and 16 fouls.

Betsy Layne shot 20-51 (39%) from the field.
They shot 3-14 (21%) from the 3 point line.
They shot 14-20 (70%) from the free throw line.
They had 31 rebounds, 10 assists, 7 steals, 15 turnovers, and 14 fouls.

Martin impressed me as well.
Oh well, the plot thickens! Should be a great All A Classic Final!!!
I don't think the margin of victory is all that important when it is 15 plus. IMO SV was never in any real danger of losing this basketball game. E. Justice had an outstanding game as usual for SV. 6 steals --- impressive! So did Hatfield, J. Justice, Newsome, and the Byrants. SV has a very balanced attack. They have a lot of different weapons and they use them all. After winning two straight BL has now lost two straight and they continue to struggle. It doesn't get any easier for BL has they host Phelps (who beat BL by 13 earlier in the year) Jan 15th and they have to play SV on their home court again in the All A on the 23rd. I agree with several earlier posts in that Martin for BL is going to be a very good baketball player in the near future!
Right around the score I predicted. I think that these regions games will be like this all season. Valley is really never in danger of losing but don't blow the team out of the gym.
Congrats
Even though shelby valley defeated betsy lane this means nothing. In the Paintsville vs betsy lane game the honorable Paintsville defeated them so bad I would have wept if I were on the opposing side. This means shelby valley shall never triumph over the far superior Paintsville.
Tornado of Doom Wrote:Even though shelby valley defeated betsy lane this means nothing. In the Paintsville vs betsy lane game the honorable Paintsville defeated them so bad I would have wept if I were on the opposing side. This means shelby valley shall never triumph over the far superior Paintsville.

Maybe? Maybe not! we'll just have to wait and see. Should be one heck of a game. But I'm going with the honorable and superior VALLEY!!!!
Tornado of Doom Wrote:Even though shelby valley defeated betsy lane this means nothing. In the Paintsville vs betsy lane game the honorable Paintsville defeated them so bad I would have wept if I were on the opposing side. This means shelby valley shall never triumph over the far superior Paintsville.

I believe your opinion is flawed. Do you really think that a Besty Lane team is the right opponent to use as a comparison? I mean scoring margins can be a little ridiculous sometimes. Once a game is wrapped up it is a coaching decision to go easy on the team or continue to extend the lead. Paintville decided to extend the lead after the game was decided. Much like the Paintsville game against BL, Valley never really had to worry about losing. A win is a win and to say that Paintville will "triumph" over Valley by using the scoring spread against a BL is very inaccurate.
Scotty doesn't know Wrote:I believe your opinion is flawed. Do you really think that a Besty Lane team is the right opponent to use as a comparison? I mean scoring margins can be a little ridiculous sometimes. Once a game is wrapped up it is a coaching decision to go easy on the team or continue to extend the lead. Paintville decided to extend the lead after the game was decided. Much like the Paintsville game against BL, Valley never really had to worry about lossing. A win is a win and to say that Paintville will "triumph" over Valley by using the scoring spread against a BL is very inaccurate.

Great Post!..Crazier things have happened...We may not even see SV and Paintsville Play..In the All-A Paintsville will have to get past AC, then they will play a very-down SF team on their way to the matchup of the year so far...While SV will play BL again, and more than likely Pikeville on their way to this matchup...SV will have to play Pikeville and Paintsville on back-2-back nights and IMO that will take alot out of the Wildcats...So i give Paintsville a slight edge...
And you all are picking Valley to beat Paintsville. Paintsville beat Betsy Layne by 67 points.
M12 Wrote:And you all are picking Valley to beat Paintsville. Paintsville beat Betsy Layne by 67 points.

This has no meaning. This is like when Team A beats team B, Team B beats Team C, but Team C beats Team A, how much you win by means absolutely nothing.
Congrats valley on the win!
M12 Wrote:And you all are picking Valley to beat Paintsville. Paintsville beat Betsy Layne by 67 points.

No, I have never said anything else other than that Paintsville will have slight edge. They have all of their components to work with. And as I have mentioned before, you can not based a victory for Paintville against Valley on a margin of victroy with a Betsy Lane team.
Paintsville doesnt have anything to do with this thread. I was rather surprised when I seen the score of this game. It is funny how basketball games work. Sometimes a team is on and hitting, other nights they struggle. That is why the game is played on the floor instead of on paper. Congrats to Shelby Valley on another win, Good job to Betsy Layne for putting up a fight. On a side note, does anyone know if Adam got to play?
BasketBallonlyfan Wrote:Paintsville doesnt have anything to do with this thread. I was rather surprised when I seen the score of this game. It is funny how basketball games work. Sometimes a team is on and hitting, other nights they struggle. That is why the game is played on the floor instead of on paper. Congrats to Shelby Valley on another win, Good job to Betsy Layne for putting up a fight. On a side note, does anyone know if Adam got to play?

No, Adam didnt get to play...I wish he wouldve have though, the game may have been closer...
This thread has nothing to do with Paintsville or any other team besides Shelby Valley and Betsy Layne, so lets keep it on-topic.
Wonder what is the reason for these flat games from Valley. Is it a specific defense by the opposition or just bad shooting or what?
Bout 1 Time Wrote:Valley didnt play to their full potential, but i thought a few calls were alittle lop sided.......Congrats BL, hard fought game

Typical, anytime someone plays close to, or doesn't get blown out, or beats SV it's always the refs fault. Come on Dorton fans, are you still complaining about the refs even when you get to SV?
Pages: 1 2