Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Mountain Middle Conference
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just posting this for some information but I would like to see the Mountain Middle Conference grow with more teams for boys basketball. In the past the conference included Belfry, Inez, Warfield, Johnson Central, Lawrence Co., and Magoffin Co.

Currently we have Belfry, Paintsville, Lawrence Co., and Martin Co.(Inez/Warfield combined)

I would like to see it get to 8-12 teams and played in divisions.

We have pre-season pan-o-rama, 7th grade tourney and 8th grade tourney. If we can expand we will have a 6th grade tourney as well.

If we can get 12 teams we will look into hosting the 8th grade tourney at Pikeville College.

Does anyone know any schools looking to join for next year?
What about Johns Creek, Mullins, Phelps, Millard, Sebastian, Adams, and Virgie and Dorton??

That is 8 more teams ....... combined with the 6 you already listed that would be plenty!!!
phs1986 Wrote:What about Johns Creek, Mullins, Phelps, Millard, Sebastian, Adams, and Virgie and Dorton??

That is 8 more teams ....... combined with the 6 you already listed that would be plenty!!!

We only have 4, as there is just Martin Middle.

Pike County schools have been asked every year for the past 3 and will not play, aside from Belfry, because the other schools have holdbacks or they simple are just not competitive.

Sebastian has been asked but travel is a problem there, Adams and other Floyd County schools cannot because of their BOE limits them to 21 games I think.
NEXT Wrote:We only have 4, as there is just Martin Middle.

Pike County schools have been asked every year for the past 3 and will not play, aside from Belfry, because the other schools have holdbacks or they simple are just not competitive.

Sebastian has been asked but travel is a problem there, Adams and other Floyd County schools cannot because of their BOE limits them to 21 games I think.

Do tournament games count against their season game limit?

WHY in the world would Mullins, Phelps, and Johns Creek not play? They are VERY close to P'ville College and wouldn't have to drive 2 hours!!
They will not play because of holdbacks and they just don't schedule a lot of out of county teams.

Look at it like this, in Pike County Belfry, Dorton, Pikeville, and Virgie will play anyone, anywhere. Not so much for those other schools.
I wonder if any Letcher County teams would be interested?
NEXT Wrote:They will not play because of holdbacks and they just don't schedule a lot of out of county teams.

Look at it like this, in Pike County Belfry, Dorton, Pikeville, and Virgie will play anyone, anywhere. Not so much for those other schools.

I see what your saying but I have to "agree to disagree" with you on this one...... Virgie .....They have cancelled games when my child attended another school in basketball and football. They cancelled at Belfry this year during baseball season and I have yet to see them make up the game they cancelled for BMS basketball this year. Yeah.. of course you know we went there but I would just about bet you that they won't be coming to Belfry...... They like to play at home... PERIOD...
Paintsville has played Belfry, Phelps, Mullins, Pikeville, Virgie and Dorton. And the highlighted ones traveled to Paintsville. Dorton ussually travels but I would say that thier schedule was full.
OffTheHook Wrote:Paintsville has played Belfry, Phelps, Mullins, Pikeville, Virgie and Dorton. And the highlighted ones traveled to Paintsville. Dorton ussually travels but I would say that thier schedule was full.

They were all asked to play and wouldn't. I honestly do not know why then.
NEXT Wrote:They were all asked to play and wouldn't. I honestly do not know why then.

I can tell you why we didn't this year. Our travel for bus driver and mileage is over $2000 per year. Playing in this conference would make it much more. The closest school in that conference is Belfry which is 50 miles away. It is around 1 hour and 15 minutes to both Inez and Paintsville and more than that to Lawrence County. We have never shyed away from playing anyone. Last year, we were the weakest that we've been in 10 years and still played 33 games, including many out of county games and KBA and BCI. I was asked to join this year, but already had over 30 games scheduled.

We usually travel to Paintsville for a regular season game and for the Hoops Classic after New Years. I guess they didn't have it this year. We have already gone to Belfry and we go to Martin County next weekend. We could probably join if they only played 1 game against each team and alternated sites each year. The other way would just add too many games to our schedule besides our county games and the tournaments. We will probably be weak for a while after this year, but we would still play.
DortonWildcat5 Wrote:I can tell you why we didn't this year. Our travel for bus driver and mileage is over $2000 per year. Playing in this conference would make it much more. The closest school in that conference is Belfry which is 50 miles away. It is around 1 hour and 15 minutes to both Inez and Paintsville and more than that to Lawrence County. We have never shyed away from playing anyone. Last year, we were the weakest that we've been in 10 years and still played 33 games, including many out of county games and KBA and BCI. I was asked to join this year, but already had over 30 games scheduled.

We usually travel to Paintsville for a regular season game and for the Hoops Classic after New Years. I guess they didn't have it this year. We have already gone to Belfry and we go to Martin County next weekend. We could probably join if they only played 1 game against each team and alternated sites each year. The other way would just add too many games to our schedule besides our county games and the tournaments. We will probably be weak for a while after this year, but we would still play.

We have had that conversation and I knew why you guys couldn't play. I was refering to the other schools.