Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Hold backs - why EVERYONE should support it in Pike County
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Example #1 - Shelby Valley see herehttp://www.bluegrassrivals.com/forum/sho...post486776

I am a Belfry fan 100%, but am impressed with the run that Shelby Valley has made in the bast 7-8 years. Its a run in the 15th only surpassed by Paintsville and their Sweet 16 Title.

I also don't want you to think that holdbacks are the only reason Shelby Valley is winning like they are. It takes talent and coaching to pull of something like they have BUT the maturity of these kids because of being a year more mature helps tremendously.

To be honest though, unless the holdback rule is changed in Pike County it will be a long, long, long, time before a region title is won from Pike County after this Soph. class is gone. Why? Kids from Pike County are going against kids from Johnson, Floyd, and Martin county at the middle school level that are 1 sometime 2 years older than they are. Currently at Belfry we have kids who are 11-12 years old in 7th grade playing against kids who are 13-14 in the same grade. If they play 8th grade you are looking at a possible 4 year age difference.

I don't fault the parents of those kids one bit, in fact I applaud them for wanting to keep their child at home one more year and giving them an extra year of maturity before going to college. Parents complain its not fair, but yeah, it is.

That current rule in Pike County is only hurting the future of programs like SV, PC, Belfry, and ER and needs to be done away with.

Shelby Valley is example #1 of why it is a GOOD thing to hold your child back for maturity reasons.

If you need others -

Elliot County currently

Belfry of the early 90's

Paintsville.

I encourage you contact whomever you should to get the rule changed.
NEXT Wrote:Example #1 - Shelby Valley see herehttp://www.bluegrassrivals.com/forum/sho...post486776

I am a Belfry fan 100%, but am impressed with the run that Shelby Valley has made in the bast 7-8 years. Its a run in the 15th only surpassed by Paintsville and their Sweet 16 Title.

I also don't want you to think that holdbacks are the only reason Shelby Valley is winning like they are. It takes talent and coaching to pull of something like they have BUT the maturity of these kids because of being a year more mature helps tremendously.

To be honest though, unless the holdback rule is changed in Pike County it will be a long, long, long, time before a region title is won from Pike County after this Soph. class is gone. Why? Kids from Pike County are going against kids from Johnson, Floyd, and Martin county at the middle school level that are 1 sometime 2 years older than they are. Currently at Belfry we have kids who are 11-12 years old in 7th grade playing against kids who are 13-14 in the same grade. If they play 8th grade you are looking at a possible 4 year age difference.

I don't fault the parents of those kids one bit, in fact I applaud them for wanting to keep their child at home one more year and giving them an extra year of maturity before going to college. Parents complain its not fair, but yeah, it is.

That current rule in Pike County is only hurting the future of programs like SV, PC, Belfry, and ER and needs to be done away with.

Shelby Valley is example #1 of why it is a GOOD thing to hold your child back for maturity reasons.

If you need others -

Elliot County currently

Belfry of the early 90's

Paintsville.

The only reason a child should be held back is because of grades. if you wanna hold them back, do it when there in the elem. school and not in middle school..
Make sure that you don't mention players names. You can mention anything else, schools, the rule, etc.

If anyone fails to go by what I mentioned above then your post will be deleted.
If you still think kids should be held back just for sports, answer this question. Before the hold back rule came into effect in the county, how many kids from Shelby Valley, Belfry, and East Ridge actually went to college on a scholarship to play any type of sports? I know A few from Belfrys football team should get a full ride, but how about the other sports and from other schools? How many from Shelby Valley on this big run they are on how went to college to play basketball?
Since 2001, the players from SV that have gone on to play college basketball are Shannon Akers (Alice Lloyd), Jeremy Akers (some Alice Lloyd JV), Kris Bentley (Centre), and Paul Fleming (some Pikeville JV). I'm not sure if all of these actually got money towards college, but they are the ones that I can think of.
Yeah.... BUT... who wants a 19 (going on 20) year old SENIOR in high school!!!

IF their birthdate allows and they have poor grades and are below level...... then go for it! IF they are "of grade age", have a 4.0 GPA, and have straight distinguished on their CATS tests... you are NOT going to help them by holding them back for sports. Their academics will get them into a good school.... I thought that is why they go to school anyway.... to get an EDUCATION!!!
As I said you don't have to do it but why complain when others do?

If a kids makes straight A's and gets distinguished then by all means don't, but what about the kids that don't?

Who wants a barley 17 year old graduating high school?
Centre isnt allowed to give any money for sports scholarships. I am pretty sure that JV teams in college only give books and sometimes meals. At Alice Lloyd, between financial aid and work study, there is very little left over that is required to be paid and most of the time unless the parents are totally loaded, that is written off. So far, it doesnt help to hold back kids to get a free ride in college.
BasketBallonlyfan Wrote:If you still think kids should be held back just for sports, answer this question. Before the hold back rule came into effect in the county, how many kids from Shelby Valley, Belfry, and East Ridge actually went to college on a scholarship to play any type of sports? I know A few from Belfrys football team should get a full ride, but how about the other sports and from other schools? How many from Shelby Valley on this big run they are on how went to college to play basketball?

I can't give all the names but they have had a few in baseball and more than a few in football.

Once they get there and stay is another story.
BasketBallonlyfan Wrote:Centre isnt allowed to give any money for sports scholarships. I am pretty sure that JV teams in college only give books and sometimes meals. At Alice Lloyd, between financial aid and work study, there is very little left over that is required to be paid and most of the time unless the parents are totally loaded, that is written off. So far, it doesnt help to hold back kids to get a free ride in college.

Just because you are against it does it mean that everyone else shouldn't be allowed to if they choose?
BasketBallonlyfan Wrote:So far, it doesnt help to hold back kids to get a free ride in college.

Who said the kids I listed were holdbacks?
The King Wrote:Who said the kids I listed were holdbacks?
Ok, how many of them were?
NEXT Wrote:Just because you are against it does it mean that everyone else shouldn't be allowed to if they choose?
If they choose to be held back in middle school, they still can be. The only thing is they cant play the second year in the same grade. If parents want and choose to hold them back, what is the problem with that?
NEXT Wrote:As I said you don't have to do it but why complain when others do?

If a kids makes straight A's and gets distinguished then by all means don't, but what about the kids that don't?

Not complaining by any means .... that is each parents choice and I don't fault them for doing what they think is best for their child........

and OH... BTW... I have a STRAIGHT - A (because I stay on top of his education) student who plays 3 sports (excels in 2 of them), participates in school educational activities, scores rather well on the CATS at the end of the year and he will BARELY BE 17 WHEN HE GRADUATES!!!!
NEXT Wrote:As I said you don't have to do it but why complain when others do?

Like i said, hold them back in elem. school before they even start sports. Most parents wait till they get in middle school and if they are good in sports they hold em back. But, graduating as a 17 yr. old and a 19yr. old is much diff...Like numerous players from SV are 17 and sophmores, and nobody is crazy about why there held back. Some past players like Kiser, Friend(23 right now, and he graduated one year before i did and im 20), and Tackett where 19 when they graduated. Tackett is a great student at Pikeville Coll...So if someone isnt having a problem with school, then why hold them back, because if their 17 when they graduate then they could get outta college at an earlier age, which means an earlier start to a successful life.
BasketBallonlyfan Wrote:Ok, how many of them were?

Three of them were not held back for academic reasons... The other didn't come from an SV feeder school, so I'm not totally sure but I think he was...
The King Wrote:Three of them were not held back for academic reasons... The other didn't come from an SV feeder school, so I'm not totally sure but I think he was...
So that helps prove a point about the opening post, holding back kids for sports doesnt help them get into college at all. Thank you.
BasketBallonlyfan Wrote:If they choose to be held back in middle school, they still can be. The only thing is they cant play the second year in the same grade. If parents want and choose to hold them back, what is the problem with that?

They can play, just not in Pike County games, but when parents go as them about it they make a HUGE deal out of it.

If a kid is held back in Pike County they cannot play against Belfry, Mullins, Millard, EC, FC, Kimper, JC, Virgie, and Dorton.

Change it so they can do whatever.

And does your kid even go to a County school?
NEXT Wrote:They can play, just not in Pike County games, but when parents go as them about it they make a HUGE deal out of it.

If a kid is held back in Pike County they cannot play against Belfry, Mullins, Millard, EC, FC, Kimper, JC, Virgie, and Dorton.

Change it so they can do whatever.

And does your kid even go to a County school?

If that was for me... YEP... he sure does!!!
I thought it was a state rule that you players couldn't be held back...
phs1986 Wrote:If that was for me... YEP... he sure does!!!
So you want to hold them back just for sports and not to help them get a extra year of maturity or even for their grades?
BasketBallonlyfan Wrote:So you want to hold them back just for sports and not to help them get a extra year of maturity or even for their grades?

Her son goes to Belfry and she has said she will not hold him back........
vundy33 Wrote:I thought it was a state rule that you players couldn't be held back...

KHSAA has no say so..........
NEXT Wrote:KHSAA has no say so..........

Are u kiddin?...or is it they allow it but pike county dont?
NEXT Wrote:KHSAA has no say so..........
The parents had a say so in the past just the same as they do now. Just because the county passed that rule doesnt mean they cant be held back anyways. If the parents think it is the best thing for their kids, let them hold them back. The KHSAA doesnt have a say in it but the county school board does if they choose. Just because the county school board made that ruling doesnt mean that parents cant still hold them back because they can. If it is for maturity reasons like they say, what is the problem in their kids missing a few games and the county tourney. They will still get the extra year of maturity.
uhavenoidea Wrote:Are u kiddin?...or is it they allow it but pike county dont?

Until a student enters the 9th grade KHSAA has 0 and I mean ZERO say in athletics.

The rule then reads you have 8 semesters after entering the 9th grade and cannot turn 19 before Aug. 1st of your Senior year.
NEXT Wrote:Until a student enters the 9th grade KHSAA has 0 and I mean ZERO say in athletics.

The rule then reads you have 8 semesters after entering the 9th grade and cannot turn 19 before Aug. 1st of your Senior year.

Ok, i was just making sure of what you was trying to say.
Sports shouldn't be the only consideration for holding a child back. What about maturity? How many kids that graduate at age 17 are ready to go to college? If a parent chooses to hold their child back because of age then should the child be penalized and not be allowed to play county sports? Shouldn't the decision of holding back a child be the parent's choice and not the business of the board of education? Sometimes a parent doesn't realize in elementary school that there is a need to hold their child back. Some kids are more mature than others. Isn't the real issue here what's best for the individual child. And with the Pike Co. rule we have no choice if we want our child to be able to be held back and still be one of the team.
I think the parents should petition the school board to allow hold backs to play as many years of middle school as they can. While they are at it, and because playing your 7th grade or 8th grade twice, why not just petition that if you are a athlete in middle school that you dont even have to go to class. Just have 8 hours of practice instead of learning that stuff like math, science, and English. Who needs to know that stuff anyways when you can win regional tourneys and lots of ball games.
NEXT Wrote:Example #1 - Shelby Valley see herehttp://www.bluegrassrivals.com/forum/sho...post486776

If you need others -

Elliot County currently

Belfry of the early 90's

Paintsville.

I am pretty sure that Elliott county players are legit ages for their grades. Now Rose Hill in the 16th Region is definetly a different story. Especially their Middle School players. Johnson and Lawrence are bad for this in Football as well.
Pages: 1 2 3 4