Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Football Coaching Positions (Truths and Rumors)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Are there going to be any coaching changes in eastern Kentucky for the 2008 season? Who will be hired for vacancies (or are there any)? Rumors are OK too.
I heard Coach Johnson and his staff left Jenkins, Im not sure on who will be filling in to be the next head man at Jenkins tho.
I over herd someone talking about the old Lc coach going somewhere else and taking his son with him does anyone know about this
Cards09 Wrote:I over herd someone talking about the old Lc coach going somewhere else and taking his son with him does anyone know about this

I heard the same thing. Anybody know if there's any truth to this? I met Coach Goldsmith a couple of times and he seemed like a really nice guy.
This thread is VERY dangerous.

Please remember when posting "rumors" you are dealing with a man's livelihood and his family's.
FOX SPORTS Wrote:This thread is VERY dangerous.

Please remember when posting "rumors" you are dealing with a man's livelihood and his family's.

I understand this and i dont want anything started over it i just was wondering
i dont want to start any attacks on anyone or there family's on here.
Does anyone know where Coach Jones is headed????
bluegrassballa Wrote:Does anyone know where Coach Jones is headed????

I heard he was going to LCC. Is there any truth to that?
Brooks4Prez Wrote:I heard the same thing. Anybody know if there's any truth to this? I met Coach Goldsmith a couple of times and he seemed like a really nice guy.
I've heard there was a strong possibility that he could wind up at either Boyle Co or Montgomery Co.
Capt. DH Wrote:I heard he was going to LCC. Is there any truth to that?

I dont know about where hes going, but from players I have talked too in Phelps he wont be back next season. Something over a weight program.
bluegrassballa Wrote:Does anyone know where Coach Jones is headed????
Who is Coach Jones??
PLAYBOY5 Wrote:Who is Coach Jones??

Bruce Jones, He coached at Phelps last year and Powell Co before that.
Capt. DH Wrote:I heard he was going to LCC. Is there any truth to that?
Why would Coach Jones go to LCC??
warriorpride Wrote:I dont know about where hes going, but from players I have talked too in Phelps he wont be back next season. Something over a weight program.

I talked to Coach Jones and he is isn't going back to Phelps. I don't know about LCC.
Good Luck Bruce Jones!

What are the Hornets gonna do?
Word is that Hillard Howard is going to retire his Head Coaching position at Letcher Central. If so who do you think will be the next coach at Letcher.
Hmmm, let me think about that one for a minute.............................................................maybe Ben Howard?
Ben Howard would be the most likely choice.
Lets get this straight. A high school coach'es means of making a living is "TEACHING HIGH SCHOOL CLASSES". Coaching is nothing more than a means of extra income.

A fired coach keeps his real job if he has tenure which is almost always the case. Poor coaches should be fired quickly and with no concern of their financial well being or personal feelings. A poor coach'es extra income is not very important when compared to the damage he can do to 50 or 60 kids in a single season.

The concern should be with the kids not the coach.
They are a lot of coaches out their not teaching in the classroom.
State Champs Wrote:They are a lot of coaches out their not teaching in the classroom.

Like who? I was under the impression that in order to coach you had to be a teacher unless there were other arrangements made. I do know that in Russell's case Ivan McGlone was allowed to retire from teaching but remain as coach. But I think that is an exception to the rule.
Even if they are not teaching in the classroom, their primary job is somethng other than football. It could be an administrative or extention position, they are still tenured teachers. A retired coach is also coaching for extra money.

If a coach is stinking it up, fire them before they do any more damage.
State Champs Wrote:They are a lot of coaches out their not teaching in the classroom.

Well, right there is alot of your problem. Coaches should be certified teachers hired within a system. (Answers to someone & has to be accountable) Now if they've moved along in the system and have administrative positions, that's okay too... but this just bringing folks in and getting "special permission" for them to coach without the necessary hours or even the minimum hours is lame. How on earth can you promote "Education Pays", if you allow folks without the proper credentials into your school like this.... gives such a bad example, and teaches a cruel truth about human nature.
If you want to know how the KHSAA addresses coaching requirements, it's Bylaw #27 in the Handbook.

Who?

All coaches are required to teach within the district of where there coaching, from my understanding.

Prestonsburg's coaches are all teachers at either the high school and/or elementary.
Maybe they're talking about assistants.
Paid assistants are also usually teachers or other school staff. Occasionally a college student is employed as a minor assistant. In any case these folks do something other than football for a living.

Every head coach should be a state certified teacher. This is a no brainer and carries a number of complicated legal issues with it. X and O's are only one of the issues a head coach is responsible for. From a legal standpoint X and O's are a minor issue.
A good or successful football coach should not be evaluated on wins and losses alone. Talent level, at most public schools, plays a major role in winning and loosing. County school systems coaches sometimes work 3 or 4 years to put a top notch football team on the field. Administration need to do a little more research on who they hire and stand behind them on their down years.
Midee1 Wrote:Like who? I was under the impression that in order to coach you had to be a teacher unless there were other arrangements made. I do know that in Russell's case Ivan McGlone was allowed to retire from teaching but remain as coach. But I think that is an exception to the rule.

This happens in a lot of places. Many coaches will assume "athletic director" or assistant athletic director, "guidance counselor" type positions and never step foot in a classroom. Others will retire from the classroom but continue to coach without holding any other position with the school system...ala Mac Whitaker at Harrison Co. Head Coach of Girls Basketball and Boys Baseball.
There was a law passed around 5 years ago that under a circumstance where there is a not a school teacher who applies for the coaching job that the job can be given to an individual with atleast 64 hours of college credit.

Not sure if that is absolutely true, but to the best of my knowledge that is how I remembered it, but I do know there was a regulation passed which didn't require coaches to be teachers as well.
Pages: 1 2