Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: 6th grade tournament in Knott County
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
13 teams in the tournament.

1st - Hacker
2nd - Central Elem.
Final Four - Hazard and Rosspoint
Final Eight - Shelby Valley, Cowan, Porter, Clay County
Others
McDowell
June Buchanan
Paintsville
Johns Creek
Martin Co Middle
Who played who and how close was the championship game?
I'm looking mostly at how the Shelby Valley team did. Did they play well? Did the big kid Cody Belter play with them??
Hacker won over Central in finals 39 -33.
Both teams were tired and the game was low scoring. Hacker had more rest because Central's game against Hazard started late. Central had a tough game with Hazard and couldn't rest their starters. Hacker defeated Rosspoint by more than 20 and I assume they rested a little. Hacker is a good team and might have won even if both teams were rested. There point guard played very well.

Shelby Valley's big kid did play. He is about 6'5. Saw very little of their games but thought he got up and down the floor pretty good for a young kid that tall. I think he will make a good ball player as he grows into that body. I believe that lost to Clay Co and beat June Buchanan on Saturday. On Sunday they loss to Rosspoint in round of eight. I am not exactly sure, I am trying to do if from memory of the brackets that were posted.
The Pink Lady Wrote:Who played who and how close was the championship game?
I'm looking mostly at how the Shelby Valley team did. Did they play well? Did the big kid Cody Belter play with them??

Belter plays at Dorton. Thus far, I have NEVER seen him start or play a 6th grade game. He always plays with the 7th and 8th grades.
phs1986 Wrote:Belter plays at Dorton. Thus far, I have NEVER seen him start or play a 6th grade game. He always plays with the 7th and 8th grades.
There was a kid about 6'5 for Shelby Valley and it was the 6th grade team. I saw him there both days.
I have kept books and the book I have has Belter listed on Dorton.... maybe he transferred??? Who knows?
They were listed as Shelby Valley and they may have been Dorton and Virgie combined.
That is a possibility.....
Cody does still play for Dorton. He did play in this tournament. We feel like the more he plays, the better he will get. We thought about playing him on the 6th grade team this year, but decided not to because he plays the whole 7th grade game and quite a bit in the 8th grade games. We may possibly play him with the 6th grade in the BCI tournament in Florence in a couple of weeks.

I really believe he will be one of the top 2 or 3 grade school players to come out of Dorton in the last decade. He has come so far in the time he has been at Dorton (he previously played at Burdine), especially the past year. If he continues to improve like he has, he could be a special player. The thing I like most about him is that he works really hard. Last year, he didn't really affect a game defensively because he was too slow to block shots. This year he is rebounding much better and blocking lots of shots (he has had 2 triple doubles this year so far), plus he can get down the floor much better.