Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Letcher Central 72 Prestonsburg 49
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Final. Letcher Central placed 5 kids in double figures. Jordan Reynolds had his 1st double double( 14 points, 14 rebounds. Cougars went to war in 2nd half after being up by 6 at the break. Nice team win. Cougars have now won 4 of their last 5 . Ison (6'8" post player from Letcher central showed big improvement. Banks, Blair, Profitt, Longworth had good games Bench players also contributed nicely. Next up--leslie Co tomorrow night.
Solid effort by the cougars. They are a really good defensive team.
I think they played well tonight as a team all around and looked as aggressive as I have seen them all year! Nice game Cougars and congrats! Beat Leslie!!
Congrats LCC
Congrats LCC, ...the Cougars are starting to play some very good ball!!
Hey, P-burg, wake-up!!!!!!! your not going to walk into the 14th region & beat 14th region teams in a holiday tournament! especially with 14th region officals calling the games.

You got the breaks last week in the JWI, this week you get none! No soup for you!
This was by far the most one sided game i have ever in my life witnessed. The 14th region refs were going to let LCC win no matter what. And if people say 15th region refs are the worst around then they havent seen the 14th regions refs. At halftime the fouls was 14-6 and they had 3 fouls on Stevens for Pburg with 4 minutes to go in the 1st quarter that was horrible calls. You just cant win 5 on 8. There was horrible call when there was a walk called on Hall and Pburg coach simply just said that was a horrible call not even talking to the ref and got a Technical. Just completely pathetic that refs wont let teams play a fair high school basketball game anymore without taking so much away. But you can go on and on forever and it wont change the final score all i have to say is LCC better be ready to play when they come to Pburg because they are no where close to being 23 points better.
Must have been a horrible showing from the Blackcats. It seems like everytime in the past few years that when they play in an away holiday tournament they play bad and get beat by teams that they should defeat or be able to play with. But the Blackcats need to get things together because they have no more excuses left, time to start playing some basketball because the talent is there, but there head isn't.

Congrats Cougars!
I'm not usually one to put any blame on the refs and I'm not taking anything away from LCC, but I've heard from a few different people that the refs were terrible. They said Stephens played a total of about 2 minutes the entire game because of foul trouble.
Congrats LCC.
Let's see

Prestonsburg 22 fouls
Letcher Central 19 fouls

Prestonsburg 7-20 from the foul line
Letcher Central 15-27 from the line
blackcat Wrote:I'm not usually one to put any blame on the refs and I'm not taking anything away from LCC, but I've heard from a few different people that the refs were terrible. They said Stephens played a total of about 2 minutes the entire game because of foul trouble.

He fouled so they called them. Maybe the 15th region doesn't call them. Pure conjecture.
Let's see UNDERARMOUR 24. The best of my recollection is that LCC had it's own foul problems in the 1st half. Banks (#14 2nd leading scorer and teams best rebounder) only played 3 and one -half minutes the 1st half and the 3-point shooter Proffitt only 5 and one half.Coach Justice was smart enough to sit them in the 1st half and not let them get their 3rd fouls. The P-Burg coach opted to let his center play and he picked up his 3rd in the !ST HALF.P-Burg was shooting the bonus in the 1st half before Letcher central.Maybe the fact that P-Burg only scored 19 points the entire 2nd half had something to do with the lopsided win. 15th region is weaker than normal,14th region is stouter than usual. Blame who you want but in the end a team must be able to score if they are to win.
UKisN1 Wrote:Let's see

Prestonsburg 22 fouls
Letcher Central 19 fouls

Prestonsburg 7-20 from the foul line
Letcher Central 15-27 from the line

IMO, you cant really go by those numbers. First let me say I didn't see the game so I don't know how it all went down. LCC may have just wore P-burg out for all I know! But I do know what usually happens in a situation like this is when the game is out of reach then the refs try to even up the number of fouls called on each team. I think more importantly is how the fouls where called early in the game & when the game was close rather than at the end of the game. For instance, what did the team fouls look like at the end of the 1st quarter or at half time, or at the end of the third quarter? When a team is up 10 or 15 points & each side has their second string in the game it's easy for the ref's to even out the number of fouls called & the FT attempts taken, & then say hey, look the fouls & FT's where about even, but actually when the game was close they weren't! Just my opinion!

Oh, ya, I also know your not going to get any breaks playing against a 14th region team with 14th region refs. Just not going to happen!
Don't know about 1st half foul totals. Do know score by quarters. LCC 20,16,19,17. P-Burg 15,15,12,7.
When you have a key player get 2 fouls in LESS that 2 minutes into the game, you do NOT leave him in there! You have to sit him down if at least for the rest of the quarter.
If the refs are calling it close, whether it be on both teams or, just on you, use your head & let your players know what's going on.
Yes, there were some pretty pathetic calls, but P-burg still had a lot of opportunities to make plays in this game that they just didn't capitalize on. Bottom line, LCC played better, and they won.
I know the Blackcats are a little weak in the inside height department.
But, why doesn't #4 & the other Hall #23 play more? All of the games that were losses that i have watched, Have been lost in the 4th quater or at least Late 3rd quater.
The entire starting 5 has there tounges dragging the floor late in the game.
I've not seen #4 play that much in the past but, I have seen #23 Hall play & I thought he was a very strong ball handler, Shooter, & defender.
What grade are these guys in, does any1 know?
#34 played well for the Blackcats. Should get more time.
Junk Yard Dog Wrote:IMO, you cant really go by those numbers. First let me say I didn't see the game so I don't know how it all went down. LCC may have just wore P-burg out for all I know! But I do know what usually happens in a situation like this is when the game is out of reach then the refs try to even up the number of fouls called on each team. I think more importantly is how the fouls where called early in the game & when the game was close rather than at the end of the game. For instance, what did the team fouls look like at the end of the 1st quarter or at half time, or at the end of the third quarter? When a team is up 10 or 15 points & each side has their second string in the game it's easy for the ref's to even out the number of fouls called & the FT attempts taken, & then say hey, look the fouls & FT's where about even, but actually when the game was close they weren't! Just my opinion!

Oh, ya, I also know your not going to get any breaks playing against a 14th region team with 14th region refs. Just not going to happen!
Why comment when you weren't there. Everything you say is has little basis.

I can send film of the game if you like .
b-ball_guy Wrote:I know the Blackcats are a little weak in the inside height department.
But, why doesn't #4 & the other Hall #23 play more? All of the games that were losses that i have watched, Have been lost in the 4th quater or at least Late 3rd quater.
The entire starting 5 has there tounges dragging the floor late in the game.
I've not seen #4 play that much in the past but, I have seen #23 Hall play & I thought he was a very strong ball handler, Shooter, & defender.
What grade are these guys in, does any1 know?

#4 Alex Stumbo - Junior
#23 Tyler Hall - Sophomore
UKisN1 Wrote:Why comment when you weren't there. Everything you say is has little basis.

I can send film of the game if you like .

Because I follow Prestonsburg sometimes.

My comments are based on my experience.

IMO, I don't see how I'm biased when I stated earlier in this thread (and I've stated in others) that Prestonsburg got the breaks last week in the JWI invitational at P-burg when it was ref'ed by 15th region officals. Thats just the wasy High School basketball is, when you play teams from outside your region, at home, with ref's from your own region, then you usually get the majority of the calls. It's that way for any school not just LCC or PHS.

But that's the great thing about this site --- your welcome to your opinion & I'm welcome to post mine :thumpsup:

Oh ya, I would love to see the game film. You can PM me and get my address.