Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Pikeville College Basketball Looking Good!!!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So what does everyone think of Pikeville College's Basketball team this season?
Personally I have seen them play this season and I think they are headed to the NAIA National Tournament. They are 11-2 and are playing excellent. They are ranked 24th in the nation in the NAIA National Poll. They are currently on a Winter break from basketball and will resume their games with an away game on the 2nd of January playing at Ohio State University at Mansfield. Their first home game after this break will be a conference game on January 26th against West Virginia University Institute of Technology. This team is very talented and is looking very good.
Here is the link to their page:
http://athletics.pc.edu/mensbasketball/index.htm

Please let me know what you think about this team.
Peace Cool
Haven't kept up with them but after looking at there schedule and roster they look to be very athletic and this is probably the tallest Pikeville College team ever. I'll probably catch one of there games later on down the road but good luck to the Bears and I sure hope they make it to the NAIA Tournament.

Keep us updated on how they do throughout the season.
Alright I will do! They have a lot of speed at the Guard position through Xavier Yates and Justin Hicks, a recent local player for Hazard. They have a transfer from Missouri, and he is a very talented player, his name is Jeff Ferguson, that is one of their tall fellas and the other is Ewan Linton who is very talented as well.
They have some good role players to, which is what every team needs.
I really do encourage everyone to come out and watch them whenever they can. Some of their games will be at the colleges gym and some games will be at the Expo Center.
PIKEVILLE COLLEGE has a good basketball team this year , coach WELLS has done a great job getting those young men ready.
Lets see how they do against Georgetown in the MSC this year THEN we can say that they may be able to do something great. It seems like only two teams from the conference make it to post season play. The winner of the MSC title and the second place team. But anyways they do look very good.
Are all the players gonna be eligible the second semester. Now BEFORE Fox Sports or anyone else start on me for askin this. I asked that question because that has been a problem with PC basketball the past few years. It would be a shame for their season to turn south because a few players thought they didn't have to go to class or do their school work. I have watched them play and they are more than capable of makin a big run this year.
blackcat_student Wrote:Haven't kept up with them but after looking at there schedule and roster they look to be very athletic and this is probably the tallest Pikeville College team ever. I'll probably catch one of there games later on down the road but good luck to the Bears and I sure hope they make it to the NAIA Tournament.

Keep us updated on how they do throughout the season.
Nope, not the tallest PC team ever. I think that record goes when I was in school there. We was 6'11", 6'11", 6'11, 6'9". The team this year is a very VERY talented team. I think they will make a good run in the post season.
BasketBallonlyfan Wrote:Nope, not the tallest PC team ever. I think that record goes when I was in school there. We was 6'11", 6'11", 6'11, 6'9". The team this year is a very VERY talented team. I think they will make a good run in the post season.

Is that when Niel Hood played?
Redneck Wrote:Is that when Niel Hood played?
Nope, it was Jimmy Dale Turner, Woody Smith, and myself at 6'11", Pete White was the other big man at the 6'8"to 6'9" range. Along with that, we had Darron Stapleton at 6'6" Mark Rowan at 6'6" and a few 6'4"'s

On the other had, we wasnt that good in most games, but we always gave Georgetown and Cumberland problems. We also had more fun than should have been allowed by law those years.
I hear that Coach Wells does not have control of his team. I have seen them play with out teamwork on the court but when the enviroment extends off the court to one player punching another, I would say there are problems. I hope the bears can iron it out before conference play because they obviously have enough talent to make it to tournament play.
watchinthegame Wrote:I hear that Coach Wells does not have control of his team. I have seen them play with out teamwork on the court but when the enviroment extends off the court to one player punching another, I would say there are problems. I hope the bears can iron it out before conference play because they obviously have enough talent to make it to tournament play.

All teams have these types of problems no need to single out anyone from Pikeville. This team is loaded with talent and I think they will beat Georgtown. Coach Well is a class act and he seems to get the most out of this team.
watchinthegame Wrote:I hear that Coach Wells does not have control of his team. I have seen them play with out teamwork on the court but when the enviroment extends off the court to one player punching another, I would say there are problems. I hope the bears can iron it out before conference play because they obviously have enough talent to make it to tournament play.

Isn't that just typical college boys. Just about every team in the country has these types of problems, just because Pikeville College has had its share of problems with athletes in the past doesn't mean that you should just single them out.
Good players wxcept for that #31 I seen play against UK.
BasketBallonlyfan Wrote:Nope, it was Jimmy Dale Turner, Woody Smith, and myself at 6'11", Pete White was the other big man at the 6'8"to 6'9" range. Along with that, we had Darron Stapleton at 6'6" Mark Rowan at 6'6" and a few 6'4"'s

On the other had, we wasnt that good in most games, but we always gave Georgetown and Cumberland problems. We also had more fun than should have been allowed by law those years.

Cumberlands will be a tough match this year!!

IDK what you have heard about this team this year, but I live on campus and no player has punched another this year. They have great chemistry and are all a tightly knit group.
Redneck Wrote:Are all the players gonna be eligible the second semester. Now BEFORE Fox Sports or anyone else start on me for askin this. I asked that question because that has been a problem with PC basketball the past few years. It would be a shame for their season to turn south because a few players thought they didn't have to go to class or do their school work. I have watched them play and they are more than capable of makin a big run this year.

As far as all players being eligible there were some players that had grade issues the first semester and sat out and from what I have heard from the ball team he is very talented, but there is another player with talent who will be sitting for a couple games because of his final grades for the first semester.
Hopefully Tristan Martin will be playing this semester. I have heard he is a tremendous athlete, probably they best on the team. And that is saying alot. I have heard there are some players not returning this semester for various reasons.
PvilleCollegeFella Wrote:As far as all players being eligible there were some players that had grade issues the first semester and sat out and from what I have heard from the ball team he is very talented, but there is another player with talent who will be sitting for a couple games because of his final grades for the first semester.
Is coach Wells benchin them for a bad grade or two or are they academically ineligible with the school.
What about the #1 JUCO guy? Is he playing now that it is the second semester?
Panther Thunder Wrote:What about the #1 JUCO guy? Is he playing now that it is the second semester?
He got booted not long after the intro at the Expo Center if that is the one you are talking about.
I'm glad Pikeville College is having some success....
BasketBallonlyfan Wrote:He got booted not long after the intro at the Expo Center if that is the one you are talking about.
yea, lol that lasted a long time.
I was wondering about that too!
what do you mean he got booted? is he not playing?
bigE Wrote:what do you mean he got booted? is he not playing?
If you are talking about the one that got introduced at the Expo Center during last seasons regional tourney, well, he never wore a Pikeville uniform.
BeaverCreek Connection Wrote:Hopefully Tristan Martin will be playing this semester. I have heard he is a tremendous athlete, probably they best on the team. And that is saying alot. I have heard there are some players not returning this semester for various reasons.

Thats who I'm talking about when I say he is the one that sat out the first semester.
Redneck Wrote:Is coach Wells benchin them for a bad grade or two or are they academically ineligible with the school.

I think it was school for the one with the first semester, two of the others are actually redshirts this year. Bo Harris is being benched by Coach Wells for a couple games I believe, but do not quote me on this.