Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Raising The Academics
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Since most people agree academics should be more important than athletics what is everyone's thoughts on requiring players to make better grades than required by the KHSAA. As of now if a student has six periods a day that student can have 4 D's and 2 F's and still play. In other words that student only has to be passing four classes to play. Some school's "up the bar" and require their students to have at least a 2.0 GPA. They feel that their athletes rise to the occassion academically in order to compete athletically.

Please chime in.
Let them play regardless, if it will keep kids off the streets and out of trouble let them play, they will decide if they want to get an education or not.
I thought you had to have a 2.0 to play with the KHSAA. I may be wrong, but I think they do.
It never made sense to me, if it snows schools are called off but its ok to have basketball games.
BasketBallonlyfan Wrote:I thought you had to have a 2.0 to play with the KHSAA. I may be wrong, but I think they do.

Bylaw 5. Minimum Academic Requirement

Sec. 3) Continual Progress During the School Year
On a weekly basis, a student shall also be passing (cumulatively
for the credit period) in at least four hours of instruction as de
fi[SIZE=2]ned
by Kentucky Board of Education regulations (of the six hours of
instruction required) or the equivalent of four hours of instruction
acceptable to graduation in order to be eligible to participate in
athletics during the subsequent week (Monday through Sunday
period) and through the next opportunity to examine grades in
this manner.
Sec. 4) Pre-Secondary School Students
Pre-secondary school students (grades 1-8) participating in
athletics representing a KHSAA member school shall be passing
in at least two-thirds of the subjects in which they are currently
enrolled in order to be eligible.
[/SIZE]
PC_You_Know Wrote:Let them play regardless, if it will keep kids off the streets and out of trouble let them play, they will decide if they want to get an education or not.

IMO Good Post :thumpsup:
I agree the most important thing is keeping kids safe and out of trouble. I think sports does just that in some cases.
Then your going to school to play sports and not to get an education, so that means you wont pay attention and you wont pass classes. All you would be doing is wasting tax payers money.

uk96

Kids need to be held accountable for their grades and understand that sports is a luxury that you get to play by doing what you need to in the classroom. The problem is that sometimes kids are given the idea that sports is more important and I can tell you that very few if any kids you will watch will make a living playing a sport.
It's got to be about the academics, if they can not compete in school what kind of job are they going to be able to get to raise a family when they are too old to be in high school?
Well I just dont understand how the world lets this stuff go on, I guess its our fault though. Education is important but players get more money than cops, firefighters, or doctors.
uk96 Wrote:Kids need to be held accountable for their grades and understand that sports is a luxury that you get to play by doing what you need to in the classroom. The problem is that sometimes kids are given the idea that sports is more important and I can tell you that very few if any kids you will watch will make a living playing a sport.

Amen to that...
AND... IMO.... it starts at home!!! Parents should make their children accountable for their grades and do frequent checks of them on STI or with parent/teacher conferences.... I know I do!!!
I agree it all starts at home, I also agree that academics is far more important than athletics. I guess I just have a liberal point of view when it comes to this particular topic. I think it should be based more on their behavior than their grades. Personally I could see not letting a kid play sports because of behavior problems before I could anything else. I don't see how we are wasting tax payers money by exposing as many young people to sports as possible. And, keeping them in school at the same time. I know that none of them will probably earn a living playing sports, but I just think we're too eager to exclude some. There are good kids out there who never cause a problem and love sports, but have trouble making the grades. IMO, they should get to play too.
Junk Yard Dog Wrote:I agree it all starts at home, I also agree that academics is far more important than athletics. I guess I just have a liberal point of view when it comes to this particular topic. I think it should be based more on their behavior than their grades. Personally I could see not letting a kid play sports because of behavior problems before I could anything else. I don't see how we are wasting tax payers money by exposing as many young people to sports as possible. And, keeping them in school at the same time. I know that none of them will probably earn a living playing sports, but I just think we're too eager to exclude some. There are good kids out there who never cause a problem and love sports, but have trouble making the grades. IMO, they should get to play too.

Well.... I'll bet the farm that if mine is making the grades that I'm bustin his tail on behavior as well. IF he is keeping his grades up and playing sports 6 days a week.... he don't have too much time to get into anything!!! LOLOL....

I do see your point though. Some children don't have the "parental" backing to play sports nor to keep them on track with their grades. Basically, good kids but no support system!!
Exactly!
ttt
Chuck Taylor Wrote:ttt

:confused:

what does "ttt" mean?
ttt = To The Top, a technique used on internet forums to "bump" a thread/topic to the top of the page
Chuck Taylor Wrote:Since most people agree academics should be more important than athletics what is everyone's thoughts on requiring players to make better grades than required by the KHSAA. As of now if a student has six periods a day that student can have 4 D's and 2 F's and still play. In other words that student only has to be passing four classes to play. Some school's "up the bar" and require their students to have at least a 2.0 GPA. They feel that their athletes rise to the occassion academically in order to compete athletically.

Please chime in.

I don't think schools should do that either :o I've already stated my reasons earlier in the thread. Big Grin