Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Randy Moss to Break Jerry Rice Record?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Randy Moss only need 2 Touchdowns to break his record during the Patriots and Giants game.
Jerry Rice scored 22 TD in 12 Games during the Strike Year. It will take Randy Moss, if he does 16 games.
I'm sorry, that's not even a real question, is it? Technically, he'll own the record (if he scores twice), but Rice did it in four less games, so Moss will own the record, but it will be tainted.
Guess I didn't answer the question: It's not fair, no one will say it is, but it's just the way it is.
Yea I guess I could have asked the question better but I was kinda in a hurry there. Sorry
RavenBoy Wrote:Yea I guess I could have asked the question better but I was kinda in a hurry there. Sorry

Sorry, it was wrong of me to say that, I apologize.

No, it's not fair, it's not right, and it's taking a wiz on the the best wideout in the history of the game, but it's a technicality, so Moss will own the record, but it will be tainted.
I was listening to Rice talk on Espn Radio and he seemed cool with it but of course he isnt going to come out and say he is ****ed about it. He seems like a Grade A kinda guy.
No, it's not fair, but it's the fault and result of the strike in Jerry's fantastic year. I've always believed that cumulative single season records such as: most rushing yards in a single season, passing yards in a single season, TDs in a single season, etc. should be in the form of rushing yards per game, passing yards per game, TDs per game, etc. to level the playing field from the days of football when players had fewer games to fill their accomplishments.
Tomcat68 Wrote:No, it's not fair, but it's the fault and result of the strike in Jerry's fantastic year. I've always believed that cumulative single season records such as: most rushing yards in a single season, passing yards in a single season, TDs in a single season, etc. should be in the form of rushing yards per game, passing yards per game, TDs per game, etc. to level the playing field from the days of football when players had fewer games to fill their accomplishments.

Good idea, but I doubt it will ever happen, but you never know, they might need to or else it won't even be close to fair if they let more teams in the NFL because schedules will get even longer.

I'm not sure about this, but has the NFL always played games the same length? That could also play a factor.
I think it disgusts Randy Moss for someone like BFritz to say that the record would be "tainted", that's a load of crap, if Moss breaks the record during the regular season than so be it, he didn't ask for 16 games, they were given to him, nothing about it is tainted, this isn't a Barry Bonds steroids record.

This is completely fair and if Moss gets it, he deserves it, look at all the weapons on the Patriots team, and to think that Moss can say with all the points the Pats scored this season, he might get 22 of those TD's.
PC_You_Know Wrote:I think it disgusts Randy Moss for someone like BFritz to say that the record would be "tainted", that's a load of crap, if Moss breaks the record during the regular season than so be it, he didn't ask for 16 games, they were given to him, nothing about it is tainted, this isn't a Barry Bonds steroids record.

This is completely fair and if Moss gets it, he deserves it, look at all the weapons on the Patriots team, and to think that Moss can say with all the points the Pats scored this season, he might get 22 of those TD's.

Alright, maybe not "tainted" because that sounds negative, but it wouldn't be "true."
Well, yes he'll own the record, but anybody with any football knowledge will see that Rice had 22 in 12 games, and it took Moss 16 to tie or break it. I personally hate to see this. Because Rice was twice the player Moss is. I hated it when Emmitt Smith (who is NOT one of the top 5 backs of all time, and wasnt even the best of his era, that would belong to Barry Sanders) broke Walter Paytons record (who is the best, IMO)..Rice would have had 30 td grabs had he played 16 games in '87...
The thing that impressed me with Rice is, he wasn't your 6'5 WR..He didn't have the 4.4 speed..He was 6'2 and ran a 4.6-4.7 in a balanced offense and still put up the numbers that he did with another WR putting up GREAT numbers in John Taylor. But records are made to be broken and I am glad that he has turned himself around into the player that he once was!
TidesHoss32 Wrote:Well, yes he'll own the record, but anybody with any football knowledge will see that Rice had 22 in 12 games, and it took Moss 16 to tie or break it. I personally hate to see this. Because Rice was twice the player Moss is. I hated it when Emmitt Smith (who is NOT one of the top 5 backs of all time, and wasnt even the best of his era, that would belong to Barry Sanders) broke Walter Paytons record (who is the best, IMO)..Rice would have had 30 td grabs had he played 16 games in '87...

Very true
IF he did it in 12 games... YEAH.. .he broke the record...
16 games... NOPE.... sure didn't!!! Smile
RavenBoy Wrote:I was listening to Rice talk on Espn Radio and he seemed cool with it but of course he isnt going to come out and say he is ****ed about it. He seems like a Grade A kinda guy.

Why would he be ****ed? what could he possibly be ****ed about?
Rice amassed his record in only 12 game. People, who know anything about Pro football, know this. Rice was a top notch player and is a top notch person. I believe his size & ability has been posted, so noting he isn't the "prototypical" WR makes his accomplishments even "sweeter". Now, having said all of that, let's look @ Moss. He has managed to put up some impressive numbers, but can't for the life of him, manage to keep his mouth shut. He is a great athlete and if he breaks that record, it's broken. Not tainted... but broken. The fact he comes off (and has always come off) as a "punk"(with talent)... leaves a sour taste in the mouths of most pure football fans. Does anyone know what Moss has done in the first (12) games of this season? (not that it matters but it might help put things into perspective) Anyway... I can agree with points from almost every post in this thread.. except the "tainted" part. Had Rice had as many games as Moss, I am certain 22 would more than likely be a 26-28 type of number. Hopefully Bill B. can reign in his outstanding WR's mouth and suggest a full-time publicist..LOL! (get Moss a shave, a hair cut and some decent looking duds... and a muzzle) This might help him if he does indeed break that record.Wink
I look at it like this. ALL pro sports have dealt with this same situation. Records are meant to be broken. Moss might have 4 more games to do it in but you also gotta look at it like this. The game is alot different then it was when Rice got the record. Players are much faster, stronger and athletic now. Jerry Rice was in a league of his own when it came to speed back then. Moss has to go up against guys who are just as fast and quick then he is. I love Jerry Rice, he is one of the most respected guys to ever play the game both on and off the field. I'm not sayin Moss is better then Rice was but IMO if he breaks the record it is well deserving.
Redneck Wrote:I look at it like this. ALL pro sports have dealt with this same situation. Records are meant to be broken. Moss might have 4 more games to do it in but you also gotta look at it like this. The game is alot different then it was when Rice got the record. Players are much faster, stronger and athletic now. Jerry Rice was in a league of his own when it came to speed back then. Moss has to go up against guys who are just as fast and quick then he is. I love Jerry Rice, he is one of the most respected guys to ever play the game both on and off the field. I'm not sayin Moss is better then Rice was but IMO if he breaks the record it is well deserving.
Plus...if Rice did have those other four games, doesn't mean he would have caught a TD in them.
If Moss breaks it....he breaks it! But I guarantee he would rather have a Super Bowl Ring than a single season TD record.
Another thing....Rice's team had a much better running game and defenses couldn't concentrate on just Rice as much as they do with Moss.
I wonder how many here would dis Moss if he was on their fantasy team!!! LOL!
Redneck Wrote:I look at it like this. ALL pro sports have dealt with this same situation. Records are meant to be broken. Moss might have 4 more games to do it in but you also gotta look at it like this. The game is alot different then it was when Rice got the record. Players are much faster, stronger and athletic now. Jerry Rice was in a league of his own when it came to speed back then. Moss has to go up against guys who are just as fast and quick then he is. I love Jerry Rice, he is one of the most respected guys to ever play the game both on and off the field. I'm not sayin Moss is better then Rice was but IMO if he breaks the record it is well deserving.

Rice ran a 4.6-4.7 and was 6'2, and it's true that players are more athletic today than they were, but to say he was physically in a league of his own is ridiculous. He was great because of the routes he ran and how he got open. Moss is 6'4, 210 lbs, runs a 4.29, 39 inch vertical leap, and just leaps and bounds ahead of other players. Moss is also doing it with Tom Brady, which Montana might be a top QB of all time, but again look at the changes in physical abilities- Brady can just launch the ball down the fiield and let Moss run under it.
Rice had alot of 16 game seasons to go along with the one shortened season. I think he plenty of shots to set the bar even higher.
Hey if the Pats Win I think its fair.
Moss owns the record now. Congrats .
Lisa Douglas Wrote:Rice amassed his record in only 12 game. People, who know anything about Pro football, know this. Rice was a top notch player and is a top notch person. I believe his size & ability has been posted, so noting he isn't the "prototypical" WR makes his accomplishments even "sweeter". Now, having said all of that, let's look @ Moss. He has managed to put up some impressive numbers, but can't for the life of him, manage to keep his mouth shut. He is a great athlete and if he breaks that record, it's broken. Not tainted... but broken. The fact he comes off (and has always come off) as a "punk"(with talent)... leaves a sour taste in the mouths of most pure football fans. Does anyone know what Moss has done in the first (12) games of this season? (not that it matters but it might help put things into perspective) Anyway... I can agree with points from almost every post in this thread.. except the "tainted" part. Had Rice had as many games as Moss, I am certain 22 would more than likely be a 26-28 type of number. Hopefully Bill B. can reign in his outstanding WR's mouth and suggest a full-time publicist..LOL! (get Moss a shave, a hair cut and some decent looking duds... and a muzzle) This might help him if he does indeed break that record.Wink

Moss hasn't ran his mouth at all this year. What does it matter what he looks like? He broke the record. It's as simple as that.
Lisa Douglas Wrote:Rice amassed his record in only 12 game. People, who know anything about Pro football, know this. Rice was a top notch player and is a top notch person. I believe his size & ability has been posted, so noting he isn't the "prototypical" WR makes his accomplishments even "sweeter". Now, having said all of that, let's look @ Moss. He has managed to put up some impressive numbers, but can't for the life of him, manage to keep his mouth shut. He is a great athlete and if he breaks that record, it's broken. Not tainted... but broken. The fact he comes off (and has always come off) as a "punk"(with talent)... leaves a sour taste in the mouths of most pure football fans. Does anyone know what Moss has done in the first (12) games of this season? (not that it matters but it might help put things into perspective) Anyway... I can agree with points from almost every post in this thread.. except the "tainted" part. Had Rice had as many games as Moss, I am certain 22 would more than likely be a 26-28 type of number. Hopefully Bill B. can reign in his outstanding WR's mouth and suggest a full-time publicist..LOL! (get Moss a shave, a hair cut and some decent looking duds... and a muzzle) This might help him if he does indeed break that record.Wink

I suggest you not judge someone who more than likely has more money than you or I will ever see in our lives. He's a millionaire, a superstar, and a numerous record holder, he can look however he wants. He's my favorite player, has been since he went to Marshall, and he plays the game the right way, goes out and gets the job done.
No, Moss has been a very good team player this year, and when he plays, theres nobody in the NFL that can stop him..Hasnt said one negative word all season, and bought into Belichick and that system, and has absolutely been out for blood all season...he broke the record, and he now owns it, whether you like it or not. Yeah he done it in four more games, but all the Maris fans dont like to hear that he had 8 more games than "The Babe" to hit 61..
^, nice work on the Maris record, wish I would have thought of that one myself.
PC_You_Know Wrote:I suggest you not judge someone who more than likely has more money than you or I will ever see in our lives. He's a millionaire, a superstar, and a numerous record holder, he can look however he wants. He's my favorite player, has been since he went to Marshall, and he plays the game the right way, goes out and gets the job done.

I wasn't "judging" I was pointing out why he doesn't get the respect he's earning. (obviously I didn't do a good job of explaining my point... or else you wouldn't have felt the need to make a "suggestion"...LOL) I will grant you that after leaving Minnesota, he has improved, but you know how "society" can be... it's hard to get a 2nd chance to give a good impression.... it's lame... oh yes, but it's a hard reality. As far as how much money he has or makes.... c'mon... you know that has nothing to do with what type of person one is... that's being "judgmental" in the opposite direction. I believe we all know plenty of people, who are loaded, but classless people. Moss earned this record, and it makes no difference if he got it in 2 games, 12 games, or 22 games. Records are made to be broken. Oh and evidently, someone did give him a "head's up" on the attire and so forth. This time of year beards are "in fashion" in New England for Football...LOL... (it's called promotion of a product and you know his agent is promoting him as the product... he's a marketable comodity now more than ever.):Thumbs: Hey... I'm a Moss fan... always have been. I love how he sounds so much like us...LOL!
PC_You_Know Wrote:I suggest you not judge someone who more than likely has more money than you or I will ever see in our lives. He's a millionaire, a superstar, and a numerous record holder, he can look however he wants. He's my favorite player, has been since he went to Marshall, and he plays the game the right way, goes out and gets the job done.

Great Post...:Thumbs:
TidesHoss32 Wrote:No, Moss has been a very good team player this year, and when he plays, theres nobody in the NFL that can stop him..Hasnt said one negative word all season, and bought into Belichick and that system, and has absolutely been out for blood all season...he broke the record, and he now owns it, whether you like it or not. Yeah he done it in four more games, but all the Maris fans dont like to hear that he had 8 more games than "The Babe" to hit 61..
I agree that he has been a team player and a better person all year, EXCEPT for the post-game interview last night. He said "all the people who doubt me and said all that about me, they're silenced now." I just felt like he was focusing more on himself than on the team's record and I thought it was unclassy.
Pages: 1 2 3