Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Assisted suicide
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
If it is legal for a decision to be made regarding the life of another without the person in question's consent (aka abortion) then why is assisted suicide so looked down upon? At least in such cases the person at question is making the decision to live or die, not another. Much of the arguement for prochoice comes from the view that "death is actually the best option for the child, it will shield it from a less than wanted life". Is this not exactly what assisted suicide is also acheiveing? A person that has a terminal illness and is in excrusiating pain does not have the right to have their own life ended but yet a mother can choose to end the life of a baby? Its not logical.

I do not condone either assisted suicide or abortion. It is jsut beyond my comprehension how one can be held legal and the other entirely immoral.
Cardsftw2010 Wrote:If it is legal for a decision to be made regarding the life of another without the person in question's consent (aka abortion) then why is assisted suicide so looked down upon? At least in such cases the person at question is making the decision to live or die, not another. Much of the arguement for prochoice comes from the view that "death is actually the best option for the child, it will shield it from a less than wanted life". Is this not exactly what assisted suicide is also acheiveing? A person that has a terminal illness and is in excrusiating pain does not have the right to have their own life ended but yet a mother can choose to end the life of a baby? Its not logical.

I do not condone either assisted suicide or abortion. It is jsut beyond my comprehension how one can be held legal and the other entirely immoral.

Again, you are equating an existing human being, in an inordinate amount of pain and suffering, with a first trimester fetus. The pro choice "argument" is NOT based on possible outcomes for the fetus once viability occurs. The pro choice position is based on the Right to Privacy in the US Constitution, a right found to exist in Roe v. Wade, which parses the issue based on viability.
thecavemaster Wrote:Again, you are equating an existing human being, in an inordinate amount of pain and suffering, with a first trimester fetus. The pro choice "argument" is NOT based on possible outcomes for the fetus once viability occurs. The pro choice position is based on the Right to Privacy in the US Constitution, a right found to exist in Roe v. Wade, which parses the issue based on viability.

True...You can't compare a living person to a first trimester fetus. It's just a being, no feelings or anything like that yet. But that doesn't mean I'm for abortion, I'm against it.