Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: X-Mas???
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just wanted to say to BGR:

and I have a question. Why do people take the Christ out of Christmas and use an X?

Thats so pointless!

It takes the whole meaning out of this holiday!
I think it is the commercialization of Christmas.
That is a true downfall for the almighty $$$
Merry Christmas everyone!
The Guru Wrote:I think it is the commercialization of Christmas.
That is a true downfall for the almighty $$$
Merry Christmas everyone!

Sorry, but I disagree. Please read below.

It's an abbreviation.

Why do you abbreviate Kentucky with KY?

You're taking the "entuck" out of Kentucky, but everyone still knows that KY means Kentucky when they see it don't they?

So when someone spells it X-mas because they ran out of letters for their billboard I'm not going to go on a witch hunt.

I wouldn't read much into it, it's just an abbreviation. Some people like to make it into a bigger deal, but I don't think it should be.

[B]The shorthand version of Jesus Christ in Christianity is an X (or the Roman letter Chi)[/B], as in X-mas, etc. Written oaths and other contracts were once made valid by writing on them an Χ for Christ and then kissing it, so the letter chi (and Roman ex) came to stand for both a kiss and a signature.

Hope that clears it up.
An "X" was and still is used as a signiture for people who don't know how to write also. Wink
An "X" can be used for numerous things. To me it is basically taking "Christ" out of Christmas. I read alot into it and think it should be a big deal.
Crossbones Wrote:An "X" can be used for numerous things. To me it is basically taking "Christ" out of Christmas. I read alot into it and think it should be a big deal.
why should it be a big deal????? why should everybody believe what you or the whole of christianitty believes....it's just YOUR opionion.....truely if anybody want's to call christmas X-mas idc because it's their chocie not mine
RammsteinFan92 Wrote:why should it be a big deal????? why should everybody believe what you or the whole of christianitty believes....it's just YOUR opionion.....truely if anybody want's to call christmas X-mas idc because it's their chocie not mine
Maybe, you should have read the quote a little better. I didn't tell you or anyone else to believe what I believe. That is your option to believe it or not. You'll never get it anyway until you are indwelled with the Holy Spirit. If you want to use an "X" in Christmas, have at it. It will not hender my Salvation in the least. But, I will say this every knee will bow and every tongue will confess Christ as the Son of God.Wink
It's not taking Christ out of Christmas because the X or Roman letter Chi (X) stands for Christ.
ComfortEagle Wrote:It's not taking Christ out of Christmas because the X or Roman letter Chi (X) stands for Christ.
As you have stated already. Wink That is your opinion. And mine is different than yours.:Thumbs:
Here's a link to your question:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xmas
Crossbones Wrote:Maybe, you should have read the quote a little better. I didn't tell you or anyone else to believe what I believe. That is your option to believe it or not. You'll never get it anyway until you are indwelled with the Holy Spirit. If you want to use an "X" in Christmas, have at it. It will not hender my Salvation in the least. But, I will say this every knee will bow and every tongue will confess Christ as the Son of God.Wink
Now you are condeming others for using Xmas. What started out as your opinion has now turned into your preaching.
Chuck Taylor Wrote:Now you are condeming others for using Xmas. What started out as your opinion has now turned into your preaching.

I agree CT. Opinions are like buttholes, everybody's got one.

I just gave you facts, not opinions, as to why an X is used to represent Christ in X-mas and you still refuse to believe me or care. Someone else has posted a link, but you still feel the need to say that Satan is to blame for everything.
I think its just like internet chat. People are just Lazy.
RavenBoy Wrote:I think its just like internet chat. People are just Lazy.

Yea thats why i use it most of the time. But im 110% christian though
If...Then Wrote:Yea thats why i use it most of the time. But im 110% christian though
Sorry, Didnt mean to call you lazy.
Chuck Taylor Wrote:Now you are condeming others for using Xmas. What started out as your opinion has now turned into your preaching.
Maybe you should have read the quote also. I did not condemn anyone. I plainly stated that if you want to use an "X" in Christmas, to go ahead and use it. No skin off my back. I'm sorry you fill that I am preaching at you. That was not my intent. Maybe you fill condemned.
ComfortEagle Wrote:I agree CT. Opinions are like buttholes, everybody's got one.

I just gave you facts, not opinions, as to why an X is used to represent Christ in X-mas and you still refuse to believe me or care. Someone else has posted a link, but you still feel the need to say that Satan is to blame for everything.
I assume this was meant for me and not Chuck. I gave facts also. And I gave my opinion, just like you did. You stated that you did not give an opinion, but you did and ours differ. No big deal to me if YOU use it or not. I stated plainly that I didn't care one way or another whether you used the "X" or not. Just said that I wouldn't.Rolleyes Just because you found some info on Wikipedia, doesn't change my stance. I have a Hebrew and Greek dictionary and study them. I know what means what. Again, I just stated that I wouldn't use it.
Crossbones Wrote:Maybe, you should have read the quote a little better. I didn't tell you or anyone else to believe what I believe. That is your option to believe it or not. You'll never get it anyway until you are indwelled with the Holy Spirit. If you want to use an "X" in Christmas, have at it. It will not hender my Salvation in the least. But, I will say this every knee will bow and every tongue will confess Christ as the Son of God.Wink

I would agree with you here, Crossbones. It does bother me too when I see Christmas abbreviated that way on TV and magazines, but if someone wants to shorten it that's their decision. I just won't do it.
We're going to have to agree to disagree on this one, because the facts are there.
ComfortEagle Wrote:We're going to have to agree to disagree on this one, because the facts are there.
I have no problem with agreeing to disagree. I agree the facts from both sides are there. Its up to all of us to chose which set of facts we want to believe. Your not going to change my mind and I'm not going to change your mind. Which was not my intent to start with.
RavenBoy Wrote:Sorry, Didnt mean to call you lazy.

ohh pshh. Im too lazy to go to church somedays. lol

im very lazy so no offense taken