Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Youngest kid to play varsity Sports??
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Just wondering who would win this one??????
Dennis Johnson Harrodsburg played football as a 2nd grader
He practice he never played until an 8th grader. The only reason he got to do this also is because his dad Alvin was the head coach.
Matt Thomas played for Rose Hill as a 6th grader.
What about OJ Mayo, he was like the main star for Rose Hill in 6th grade.
PC_You_Know Wrote:What about OJ Mayo, he was like the main star for Rose Hill in 6th grade.

7th grade.
I've saw several 7th graders play varsity sports, but never a 6th grader. Just my personal experience, I'm sure there have been 6th graders do it.
I seen a 6th grade girl play high school ball last year.
Sf Girls had a little girl play for them 2 years ago that was either in the 4th or 5th grade. She hit a 3 at the end of the game and the place went wild even though JC beat SF, everyone loved it and was worth the price of admission.
sidelinecoach Wrote:Dennis Johnson Harrodsburg played football as a 2nd grader

Would would be against the rules.
I remember Jamie Walz from Highlands (now the head coach) started as a 6th grader and I think she was their leading scorer as a 7th grader. She was Miss Basketball in 1996
no, he played about 12 games as a 6th grader.. back in 2001..
jb05 Wrote:He practice he never played until an 8th grader. The only reason he got to do this also is because his dad Alvin was the head coach.
I have read that he played in a varsity football game in the 4th grade. Is this incorrect?
I think DJ played in 2nd or 3rd grade and started making the All State team in 8th grade. They had to put a rule in because he played so young.
Didnt Tim Couch start on the high school basketball, football, and baseball team at Leslie as an 8th grader?
BJ Moore is currently starting varsity for the Cards as an 8th grader..
I always thought he never played till his 8th grade year but he may of. You may be correct I have no idea I know he started as an 8th Grader.
PC_You_Know Wrote:What about OJ Mayo, he was like the main star for Rose Hill in 6th grade.

Mayo transfered to Rose Hill from Huntington. In WV middle schoolers arent aloud to play High school varstity. Mayo wasn't a true 7th grader. I believe he was 15 or 16.

Mayos brief history
Rose Hill 7th and 8th
North College Hill 9,10,11
Huntington High 12
airball3 Wrote:Mayo transfered to Rose Hill from Huntington. In WV middle schoolers arent aloud to play High school varstity. Mayo wasn't a true 7th grader. I believe he was 15 or 16.

Mayos brief history
Rose Hill 7th and 8th
Huntington High 12

And, like I said, he played 12 games as a 6th grader..
airball3 Wrote:Mayo transfered to Rose Hill from Huntington. In WV middle schoolers arent aloud to play High school varstity. Mayo wasn't a true 7th grader. I believe he was 15 or 16.

Mayos brief history
Rose Hill 7th and 8th
Huntington High 12
OJ graduated at age 19. He was 14 in the 7th grade.
mrfootball03 Wrote:And, like I said, he played 12 games as a 6th grader..

I believe that was JV ball not Varsity. I believe the KHSAA rules don't allow boys to play varsity until they are in 7th grade in all sports except football and they must wait until 8th grade to play.
c) No student having been enrolled in the fourth (4th) grade
or in any grade through twelfth (12th) shall be eligible for
interscholastic athletics at the high school level (grades 9
through 12) for more than a total of one (1) year in each grade
and applicable eligibility shall begin in the fi rst year enrolled
in that grade. Students repeating a grade for any reason are
ineligible to participate in interscholastic athletics at the high
school level (grades 9 through 12) during the second year in
that grade. The penalty for violation of this rule shall be the loss
of one of the four years of eligibility after being promoted from
grade nine (9). Policies regarding the participation of repeating
students at the levels of play below high school interscholastic
athletics shall be determined by the school council pursuant to
KRS 160.345 (2) (i).
d) Pupils in grades 1-8 may play on the high school team if such
participation is not in confl ict with Section © above, and the
time so played shall not be counted on the eight (8) semester
limit. EXCEPTION: Students below grade nine (9) may not
participate on the varsity team in contests in the sports of
football or soccer, and students enrolled below grade seven
(7) may not participate on the varsity level in wrestling. The
provisions of this restriction shall not apply to non-varsity teams
participating in these sports.
RedRaiderNation Wrote:I believe that was JV ball not Varsity. I believe the KHSAA rules don't allow boys to play varsity until they are in 7th grade in all sports except football and they must wait until 8th grade to play.

The bylaw I looked up says that 8th graders CANNOT play football or soccer until they enter 9th grade. I know Dennis Johnson and Jason Michael played as 8th graders but I believe the rule has changed since they have played.
I think Paige Slone from Cordia started one or two games as a 6th grader in last year.
Megan Mosley might also have played for Knott in 6th.
Kendall Noble from Breathitt played as 6th grader.
Shepherd kid (cant think or her first name) for Allen Central girls team also played last year in 6th I believe.
South Floyd has quiet a few this year.
Probably more, but those are just off the top of my head.
UK-FAN Wrote:I think Paige Slone from Cordia started one or two games as a 6th grader in last year.
Megan Mosley might also have played for Knott in 6th.
Kendall Noble from Breathitt played as 6th grader.
Shepherd kid (cant think or her first name) for Allen Central girls team also played last year in 6th I believe.
South Floyd has quiet a few this year.
Probably more, but those are just off the top of my head.

Amber Shepherd is her name. She starts this season for the Lady Rebels. She is former Lady Reb Becky Thomas' little sister.
Mark Bartley from ER played for Millard High in 6th grade before ER was a school.
WOW this is an awesome thread. I just wondered how early a kid got to play. I cant believe a 4th grader played high school football. How big was this kid when he played.???

the otehr reason I started this thread is that Russell has a 7th grader playing Varsity B-Ball and he is doing really well. Go Kyle. 5'10" 160 pounds. Great kid and the family is really supportive of him too.
I think that Richie Farmer started in the 6th grade for Clay County, I am not sure but I thought that I heard that somewhere. There are several girls teams in the 15th this year that have 6th graders on their teams. Paintsville girls has at least 2 or 3, they don't play a lot but they dress and they are on the Varsity team. Some of the smaller schools it is necessary because of their enrollment. I also think that Haley Ratliff, former Pike County Central standout, played in the state tourney as a 6th grader. I will have to look that one up on the khsaa website to make sure.
This is a great thread.
DEVILOLOGIST Wrote:WOW this is an awesome thread. I just wondered how early a kid got to play. I cant believe a 4th grader played high school football. How big was this kid when he played.???

the otehr reason I started this thread is that Russell has a 7th grader playing Varsity B-Ball and he is doing really well. Go Kyle. 5'10" 160 pounds. Great kid and the family is really supportive of him too.

Great topic DEVILOLOGIST :howdy:
Pages: 1 2