Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Jaguars 29 Steelers 22
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Was on my way back from Lexington and didn't watch this one. What happened in this one?

Some teams seem to just have another teams number. Jags always give the Steelers fits. Bad weather? Injuries?....what happened?
Its simple. Pittsburgh is not playing good football. Jacksonville was more physical, ran all over top of Pittsburgh (Fred Taylor had another herculean game against the Steelers with 147 yards), and they absolutely beat and banged up on Big Ben all game. Big Ben played his guts out, with a bad shoulder, threw for three touchdowns. Which is yet another problem. Fast Willie had 100 yards on 14 carries, but Pittsburgh barely even tried to utilize the run. I dont like the patterns they run on offense AT ALL. Field conditions were muddy, but made for a great atmosphere, just a lousy ending..Pittsburgh and Cleveland are both 9-5, but Cleveland is playing better football..Its been six weeks since we've put a decent game together and thats cause for Steeler fans like myself to hit the panic button..
Fun game to watch..Just sloppy as most games were today in the northeast. Neither team played very good. The Jags jumped up 22-7 until Pitt made a late run to tie it up at 22. And then I guess you can see the outcome..Jags are tough and will be scary for ANY team to face come playoff time!
Congrats Jaguars....this team is very underrated.
LIPS Wrote:Congrats Jaguars....this team is very underrated.
Jack Del Rio always has a tough and disciplined team..one of the best coaches in the NFL IMO....
now the north is tied up
TidesHoss32 Wrote:Jack Del Rio always has a tough and disciplined team..one of the best coaches in the NFL IMO....
Totally agree TH32!
TidesHoss32 Wrote:Its simple. Pittsburgh is not playing good football. Jacksonville was more physical, ran all over top of Pittsburgh (Fred Taylor had another herculean game against the Steelers with 147 yards), and they absolutely beat and banged up on Big Ben all game. Big Ben played his guts out, with a bad shoulder, threw for three touchdowns. Which is yet another problem. Fast Willie had 100 yards on 14 carries, but Pittsburgh barely even tried to utilize the run. I dont like the patterns they run on offense AT ALL. Field conditions were muddy, but made for a great atmosphere, just a lousy ending..Pittsburgh and Cleveland are both 9-5, but Cleveland is playing better football..Its been six weeks since we've put a decent game together and thats cause for Steeler fans like myself to hit the panic button..

Pitt and Cle are tied but Pittsburgh holds the tie breaker so they are still in first place.

Speaking of Cleveland. I have a theory that some of you guys might think is crazy. I see the success the Browns are having this year hurting them in the long run. Derek Anderson is a young QB and might be headed to the Pro Bowl. So how do you replace him anytime soon. All the while Brady Quinn is sitting there waiting on his turn. If we agree by the time its all said and done, Quinn will have a better career than Anderson. Then it stands to reason that the more success Anderson has, the longer its putting off Quinn getting the valuable experience and growing pains he will go through in order to become the QB that everone thinks he might be. I guess the question is.....who's the QB of the future for the Browns????
Bengal Cat Wrote:Pitt and Cle are tied but Pittsburgh holds the tie breaker so they are still in first place.

Speaking of Cleveland. I have a theory that some of you guys might think is crazy. I see the success the Browns are having this year hurting them in the long run. Derek Anderson is a young QB and might be headed to the Pro Bowl. So how do you replace him anytime soon. All the while Brady Quinn is sitting there waiting on his turn. If we agree by the time its all said and done, Quinn will have a better career than Anderson. Then it stands to reason that the more success Anderson has, the longer its putting off Quinn getting the valuable experience and growing pains he will go through in order to become the QB that everone thinks he might be. I guess the question is.....who's the QB of the future for the Browns????
Derek Anderson has proven he's a very worthy NFL quarterback. And he's what? 9-4 as a starter?? Im not sure about Quinn having a better career than Anderson either. Anderson can read defenses, is deceptively quick footed, and has good accuracy and a strong arm. And he doesnt make very many bad decisions either..yeah he's made a few here and there, but for his first year, I think he's had a great season..as for what to do with Quinn, Im not sure what I'd do. But I definitely would NOT play him over Anderson..
pitsburgh offence isnt playing as it always have..the steelers better step up the rest of the season if they want to do good in the playoffs
Its always nice to see the Steelers take an L!
I'm just not having a good year.
GodisAshlandTomcat41 Wrote:Its always nice to see the Steelers take an L!
Do you kiss your momma with that mouth?:mad:
TidesHoss32 Wrote:Derek Anderson has proven he's a very worthy NFL quarterback. And he's what? 9-4 as a starter?? Im not sure about Quinn having a better career than Anderson either. Anderson can read defenses, is deceptively quick footed, and has good accuracy and a strong arm. And he doesnt make very many bad decisions either..yeah he's made a few here and there, but for his first year, I think he's had a great season..as for what to do with Quinn, Im not sure what I'd do. But I definitely would NOT play him over Anderson..

I'm not sure Quinn will have a better career either......but someone in the Browns organization sure believes he will by drafting him where they did. I'm just saying it could get interesting. If Anderson continues to play this well......the Browns will have to make some kind of decision. Maybe not next year, but definitely the following year. No team can afford to pay their back up QB the kind of money Quinn is getting. They can use the excuse of letting him learn behind Anderson for maybe another year. But Andersons best years are still ahead of him. Then at some point they are going to have to make a choice.
Bengal Cat Wrote:I'm not sure Quinn will have a better career either......but someone in the Browns organization sure believes he will by drafting him where they did. I'm just saying it could get interesting. If Anderson continues to play this well......the Browns will have to make some kind of decision. Maybe not next year, but definitely the following year. No team can afford to pay their back up QB the kind of money Quinn is getting. They can use the excuse of letting him learn behind Anderson for maybe another year. But Andersons best years are still ahead of him. Then at some point they are going to have to make a choice.
Oh I definitely agree 100% with what your saying..It reminds me of the San Diego situation when Brees was setting the league on fire, with Phillip Rivers, the #4 pick sitting on the bench..If it was me, I'd trade Quinn for a draft pick..
I pin this one on the Steelers D. Other than Troy the D-backs have forgoten how to cover the pass. Deshea Tonsend is still decent but his years are catching up to him. Ike Taylor hasnt been the same since our super bowl win 2 years ago. and Bryant Mcfadden hasnt progressed like I thought he would. Dont even get me started on Anthony Smith yes he made the big INT yesterday but he also got burned twice for TDs. Thats 4 TDs hes given up in the past 2 weeks!!! Yesterday even as bad as they played the D had a tie ball game in the 4th quarter with plenty of time to get the ball back. The momentum had shifted in the Steelers favor and the crowd was behind them, all they had to do was stop the Jags and they couldnt do it. IMO we are an O-lineman and a couple of D-backs away from the Super Bowl.
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:I pin this one on the Steelers D. Other than Troy the D-backs have forgoten how to cover the pass. Deshea Tonsend is still decent but his years are catching up to him. Ike Taylor hasnt been the same since our super bowl win 2 years ago. and Bryant Mcfadden hasnt progressed like I thought he would. Dont even get me started on Anthony Smith yes he made the big INT yesterday but he also got burned twice for TDs. Thats 4 TDs hes given up in the past 2 weeks!!! Yesterday even as bad as they played the D had a tie ball game in the 4th quarter with plenty of time to get the ball back. The momentum had shifted in the Steelers favor and the crowd was behind them, all they had to do was stop the Jags and they couldnt do it. IMO we are an O-lineman and a couple of D-backs away from the Super Bowl.
Anthony Smith's days as a starter are numbered...Pittsburgh's never been known for their superb pass D, but I agree, its getting worse as the season goes..but even in the Superbowl year, they had an average (at best) pass D...
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:I pin this one on the Steelers D. Other than Troy the D-backs have forgoten how to cover the pass. Deshea Tonsend is still decent but his years are catching up to him. Ike Taylor hasnt been the same since our super bowl win 2 years ago. and Bryant Mcfadden hasnt progressed like I thought he would. Dont even get me started on Anthony Smith yes he made the big INT yesterday but he also got burned twice for TDs. Thats 4 TDs hes given up in the past 2 weeks!!! Yesterday even as bad as they played the D had a tie ball game in the 4th quarter with plenty of time to get the ball back. The momentum had shifted in the Steelers favor and the crowd was behind them, all they had to do was stop the Jags and they couldnt do it. IMO we are an O-lineman and a couple of D-backs away from the Super Bowl.
another thing, if Faneca jets, then we're gonna have somewhat of a crisis situation as far as the O-line goes. I completely agree that we are a couple of d-backs away though..I would also like to see them run the ball more. I am starting to have some fits at this pass every down stuff to..They have what? 6 or 7 rushing touchdowns?????? Willie Parker has 1200 yards and 2 rushing touchdowns. 2!! Im just having a problem with the offensive selection Period. Big Ben has had a very nice season, dont get me wrong, but Parker needs more than 14 carries, Davenport had 2 or 3, and Big Ben had 2. My point is, that on a 30 degree day, on a snow covered field, your offense, which has ran the ball very well when given the oppurtunity, needs more than 18 or 20 carries...and when your QB is injured, with a bad throwing shoulder nonetheless, on a cold, WET, muddy and snow covered day, throwing the football 33 times dont make one bit of sense to me.
TidesHoss32 Wrote:another thing, if Faneca jets, then we're gonna have somewhat of a crisis situation as far as the O-line goes. I completely agree that we are a couple of d-backs away though..I would also like to see them run the ball more. I am starting to have some fits at this pass every down stuff to..They have what? 6 or 7 rushing touchdowns?????? Willie Parker has 1200 yards and 2 rushing touchdowns. 2!! Im just having a problem with the offensive selection Period. Big Ben has had a very nice season, dont get me wrong, but Parker needs more than 14 carries, Davenport had 2 or 3, and Big Ben had 2. My point is, that on a 30 degree day, on a snow covered field, your offense, which has ran the ball very well when given the oppurtunity, needs more than 18 or 20 carries...and when your QB is injured, with a bad throwing shoulder nonetheless, on a cold, WET, muddy and snow covered day, throwing the football 33 times dont make one bit of sense to me.
Not to mention the defense couldnt stop them and running the ball wouldve kept their offense off the field and given the best D-coordinator ever more time to make adjustments. I still like Bruce Arians as a play caller more than I liked Whisenhunt. His trick plays for big yards covered a lot of bad play calls. But, I agree Arians needs to call more running plays on first and 2nd down.
TidesHoss32 Wrote:Anthony Smith's days as a starter are numbered...Pittsburgh's never been known for their superb pass D, but I agree, its getting worse as the season goes..but even in the Superbowl year, they had an average (at best) pass D...
I disagree. In successive weeks in the 05 playoffs Ike Taylor SHUT DOWN Chad Johnson, Marvin Harrison, Rod Smith and Duane Jackson in the Super Bowl. It wasnt only because of the pass rush either. MY ? is where has he been ever since?
TidesHoss32 Wrote:Oh I definitely agree 100% with what your saying..It reminds me of the San Diego situation when Brees was setting the league on fire, with Phillip Rivers, the #4 pick sitting on the bench..If it was me, I'd trade Quinn for a draft pick..
Yeah cause San Diego would have hoisted the Vince Lombardi trophy last year had they still had Brees.
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:I disagree. In successive weeks in the 05 playoffs Ike Taylor SHUT DOWN Chad Johnson, Marvin Harrison, Rod Smith and Duane Jackson in the Super Bowl. It wasnt only because of the pass rush either. MY ? is where has he been ever since?
Oh yeah Im not disagreeing with the playoffs, or even the last four weeks of the regular season for that matter, but for the first 12 weeks of the year (in '05), they didnt play well..they played very well after that..the point I was trying to make (credit to you, because I didnt make it, lol), is that our pass defense has always slacked behind our d-line and backers. LeBeau would (and still does) bring blitzers from everywhere, every play and would use that to confuse quarterbacks, and that took some of the pressure off of our d-backs..but the last couple of weeks, theyve played BAD.