Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Shelby Valley 59 Louisville Male 58
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
DB3 Wrote:correction. male is ranked 16th. but still good win. i would like to see valley play the team paintsville played. i dont think vally could hold a light to them.
I'd say they would do more than "hold a light to them". Shelby Valley is going to be hard to beat in the 15th region.
Congrats Valley this is great news for the 15th if they can keep it up and take this all the way to state.
Heck yeah! Big Grin

I was at the Expo for this one today, and wow, what a game! Stayed close throughout, with Male's biggest lead 5 points and Valley's biggest lead around 5-7 points. I honestly did not think SV would win this one, so I was pleasantly surprised!

A few observations:

- Some might think that Shelby Valley must have played an awesome game to beat Male, but I really think they could play better, at least offensively. Valley missed numerous open shots, including 2 layups on back-to-back possessions in the fourth quarter that could've almost salted the game away. I was hoping that those missed layups wouldn't come back to bite them, and fortunately they didn't.

- While I was a little disappointed in SV's offensive showing, the defense was amazing! They forced several Male turnovers both in the press and in the half-court setting. I had thought that with the superior athleticism that big-city teams usually have, that Valley's press would be ineffective, but I was mistaken. Valley has such quick hands on defense, they can make life miserable for the other team. The only real problems they had on defense was when male's big guy inside (44) got the ball down low, Valley simply did not have anyone big enough to stop him. They were able to get set and draw a couple of charges on him, and at the end of the game they did the smart thing and sent him to the line to make him earn the points, which he couldn't do.

- Last observation is that Valley played the entire game with confidence and never got rattled, even when Male opened the 3rd quarter on a 15-6 run and took a five point lead. SV did not seem intimidated in the least and played like they knew they had a good shot to win. A victory like this can only help them if they make it to state and draw a big-city team in the opening round. At least now they know they can win.

Like others on here have said, a win like this not only makes Valley look good, but eastern Kentucky basketball in general. This will help area teams get more respect from the big cities downstate.

All in all, great win for Shelby Valley, has to be one of the biggest wins in the school's history! Congratulations!
Chuck Taylor Wrote:Is this the same Alaska team that Shelby Valley faced a few years ago in the Paintsville Shootout? If so lets hope no one Shelby Valley tries to fight a fan.

A comment like that has no place in this thread, please discuss the game between Shelby Valley and Louisville Male.
Panther Thunder Wrote:I'd say they would do more than "hold a light to them". Shelby Valley is going to be hard to beat in the 15th region.

dout it. i dont think sv could beat that team paintsville played. thats jsut me though...but imma quit at that.
Great game by Taylor Newsome, making several clutch free throws.

Taylor had 20 points, 4 rebounds, 3 assists, and was 8-8 from the free throw line.
Ashley Hatfield had 12 points, 5 rebounds, and 7 steals.
Jonah Justice had 11 points.
Jacob Bryant had 10 points, 5 rebounds, and 3 assists.
Logan Bryant had 5 points.
Elisha Justice had 1 point, 7 assists, and 5 steals.

Unofficially, Valley was 20-52 from the field, including 5-18 from the 3 point line. They were 14-20 from the free throw line, which was probably the difference in the game. They had 16 assists and 10 turnovers.

Male was 25-49 from the field, 2-11 from the three point line, and 6-14 from the free throw line. They had 11 assists and 14 turnovers.

Male outrebounded Valley 37-19.
DortonWildcat5 Wrote:Great game by Taylor Newsome, making several clutch free throws.

I agree, Taylor Newsome saved the game for them tonight. This was definitely the best game I have ever seen him play, and if he plays like this every game SV will be that much tougher.

He had ice water in his veins to make both free throws there at the end, which is not an easy thing to do (as evidenced by the Male player missing both of his).
Great win for the SV program. Congrats.
HazzBeen Wrote:Here is the Lexington Herald Leader's coaches preseason poll.

Boys' Pre-season Top 25

Rank, school 2006-07 Last season's finish
1. Mason County (51) 28-3 Lost in region finals
2. Scott County (43) 34-2 Won state title
3. Lexington Catholic (14) 23-10 Lost in region semifinals
4. Pleasure Ridge Park (3) 23-6 Lost in region semifinals
5. Bryan Station (2) 24-8 Lost in region semifinals
6. Madison Central 23-8 Lost in region first round
7. Ballard (5) 35-3 Lost in state finals
8. Jeffersontown 23-8 Lost in region finals
9. Henry Clay 16-14 Lost in district
10. Manual 18-10 Lost in region semifinals
11. Male 27-6 Lost in region semifinals
12. University Heights 13-14 Lost in district
13. Madisonville 22-10 Lost in region semifinals
14. Elliott County 25-7 Lost in state quarterfinals
15. Paducah Tilghman 25-8 Lost in state first round
16. Adair County 24-10 Lost in state quarterfinals
17. Owensboro 24-9 Lost in state first round
18. June Buchanan 26-7 Lost in state first round
19. Christian County 28-5 Lost in state first round
20. Holmes 25-10 Lost in state semifinals
21. Covington Catholic 24-7 Lost in region finals
22. Trinity 21-8 Lost in region first round
23. Shelby Valley 29-4 Lost in state first round
24. Paintsville 20-10 Lost in region semifinals
25. Corbin 24-8 Lost in region semifinals
Based on voting by the state's coaches; first-place votes in parentheses

Boys Basketball Rankings 12-11
1. Mason County
2. Ballard
3. Lexington Catholic
4. Scott County
5. Madison Central
6. Jeffersontown
7. Bryan Station
8. Covington Catholic
9. University Heights
10. Henry Clay
11. Adair County
12. Elliott County
13. Paducah Tilghman
14. Pleasure Ridge Park
15. Trinity
16. MALE
17. Hazard
18. Holmes
19. North Hardin
20. Tates Creek
More Cowbell Wrote:Heck yeah! Big Grin

I was at the Expo for this one today, and wow, what a game! Stayed close throughout, with Male's biggest lead 5 points and Valley's biggest lead around 5-7 points. I honestly did not think SV would win this one, so I was pleasantly surprised!

A few observations:

- Some might think that Shelby Valley must have played an awesome game to beat Male, but I really think they could play better, at least offensively. Valley missed numerous open shots, including 2 layups on back-to-back possessions in the fourth quarter that could've almost salted the game away. I was hoping that those missed layups wouldn't come back to bite them, and fortunately they didn't.

- While I was a little disappointed in SV's offensive showing, the defense was amazing! They forced several Male turnovers both in the press and in the half-court setting. I had thought that with the superior athleticism that big-city teams usually have, that Valley's press would be ineffective, but I was mistaken. Valley has such quick hands on defense, they can make life miserable for the other team. The only real problems they had on defense was when male's big guy inside (44) got the ball down low, Valley simply did not have anyone big enough to stop him. They were able to get set and draw a couple of charges on him, and at the end of the game they did the smart thing and sent him to the line to make him earn the points, which he couldn't do.

- Last observation is that Valley played the entire game with confidence and never got rattled, even when Male opened the 3rd quarter on a 15-6 run and took a five point lead. SV did not seem intimidated in the least and played like they knew they had a good shot to win. A victory like this can only help them if they make it to state and draw a big-city team in the opening round. At least now they know they can win.

Like others on here have said, a win like this not only makes Valley look good, but eastern Kentucky basketball in general. This will help area teams get more respect from the big cities downstate.

All in all, great win for Shelby Valley, has to be one of the biggest wins in the school's history! Congratulations!

Perfect! One reaction I had to this game is that Valley showed that no matter what draw the 15th region gets, whether it is a Lex. team or Louisville team, the 3 heavies from this region (SV, PIkeville, and Paintville) and possibly AC can hang with them. I was very impressed with the style of play from Valley. It will be interesting to see if their style of defense will flow in downstate tourneys. If you remember from that abysmal game at state last year, valley's style of defense was called with a tight whistle. I think that they have made the right changes to keep the intensity on their press but allow less contact to avoid the fouls. Like Morecowbell said, the defense was something special, it was basically what their offense ran off of. Great job by Valley and keep showing these city teams how heart and determination can play into a win!
12th, 16th, it doesn't matter to me. Either way Shelby Valley knocked off a ranked undefeated team out of Louisville and I couldn't be happer about it. Looks good for the area as a whole that we have teams that can not only compete but win games over teams like this.
Anytime any East Ky school beats a Louisville, Lexington, or North KY schhol in any sport it puts a smile on my face. Congrats Valley.
DB3 Wrote:Boys Basketball Rankings 12-11
1. Mason County
2. Ballard
3. Lexington Catholic
4. Scott County
5. Madison Central
6. Jeffersontown
7. Bryan Station
8. Covington Catholic
9. University Heights
10. Henry Clay
11. Adair County
12. Elliott County
13. Paducah Tilghman
14. Pleasure Ridge Park
15. Trinity
16. MALE
17. Hazard
18. Holmes
19. North Hardin
20. Tates Creek

Which rankings are these? The Herald-Leader is still using their preseason coaches' poll rankings in their game summaries.
congrats valley great win.
alfus21 Wrote:Louisville Desales first. Other teams in the tournament include Butler, Jeffersontown, Graves County, Colony Alaska and I'm sure more but that's all that is showing.

:confused:

Anyways, back on topic. Congrats Valley. This was a big win. Not too surprising though. Taylor is quite the player... I saw it in him when he was 7-8 y/o.
Congrats SV!
ronald_reagan Wrote::confused:

Anyways, back on topic. Congrats Valley. .

Chuck Taylor Wrote:Who do they face in Jtown?

I answered a question pertaining to a team in this thread and their next slate of games. No need in being confused Smile

And yes, Taylor was very clutch tonight especially from the FT stripe at the end of the game.
alfus21 Wrote:I answered a question pertaining to a team in this thread and their next slate of games. No need in being confused Smile

And yes, Taylor was very clutch tonight especially from the FT stripe at the end of the game.

I thought the post in question was dealing with a team in this thread (as was yours), and a possible team that YOU mentioned (speaks for itself). Maybe I missed something. Either way. Oh well. Won't be the last time, nor was it the first that I was wrong.... Smile

Taylor is quite underrated in my opinion. There's no denying who this kids father is! Thats a fact. Wink
ronald_reagan Wrote:I thought the post in question was dealing with a team in this thread (as was yours), and a possible team that YOU mentioned (speaks for itself). Maybe I missed something. Either way. Oh well. Won't be the last time, nor was it the first that I was wrong.... Smile

There's a big difference between talking about the upcoming games to be played by a team being discussed, and dredging up an unfortunate incident from three years ago in a game that has no bearing on this year's team. There's just no reason to bring it up again in a thread about last night's game.
Just thought I'd post this before I finally call it a night. Shelby Valley's win leads the notes in the High School Basketball portion of the Lexington Herald Leader today, or at least the website.

Sophomore forward Taylor Newsome scored 22 points and hit two free throws with nine seconds left to lift Shelby Valley to a 59-58 victory over Male in Pikeville. The Wildcats, ranked No. 23 in the Herald-Leader pre-season coaches' poll, trailed the No. 11 Bulldogs by one point going into the fourth quarter. Senior center Dexter Heyman led the Bulldogs with 12 points and eight rebounds but missed two free throws with one second left that would have given Male the lead.

Says they're ranked 11th there so I don't know. Either way it's pretty good.

Link>>http://www.kentucky.com/275/story/260483.html
Congrats Valley on the win.
formerwildcat22 Wrote:First of all, it was the team from Ripley, Ohio that the fight occurred. And second, I find it inappropriate to bring that up. It's in the past, leave it alone.

My mistake. Thought it was a team from Alaska. It was a game that I attended. Why is it inappropriate to bring this up? Shelby Valley fans amaze me. Its OK to get off topic when you are talking about the good things but cannot get off topic when you are talking about the bad things.

Yes it is in the past. But so is Ron Artest. And guess what we still talk about it. Smile
More Cowbell Wrote:There's a big difference between talking about the upcoming games to be played by a team being discussed, and dredging up an unfortunate incident from three years ago in a game that has no bearing on this year's team. There's just no reason to bring it up again in a thread about last night's game.
Guess we could always start a new thread discussing the incident?
DB3 Wrote:correction. male is ranked 16th. but still good win. i would like to see valley play the team paintsville played. i dont think vally could hold a light to them.
Are you kidding me? The team Paintsville played is not as good as male. Not nearly in my opinion. Sure they made it to the state championship in WV last year and then lost by 50... Male wouldn't lose to any team in the nation by 50. I knew someone would start building up South Charleston, they were sloppy and played street ball. That team was not as good as Male.

uk96

Good win for SV ...

uk96

More Cowbell Wrote:Which rankings are these? The Herald-Leader is still using their preseason coaches' poll rankings in their game summaries.

That is true. The Herald rankings do not change until Cantrell takes over the first week of Jan. That gives them time to look at some games and strength of schedule.
Way to go Valley, I was at the game and you all played great, I heard some people say that Male had no inside game and the team Pikeville played would eat you all up, that's not true, 44 for Male was huge inside and got to the free throw line to almost win the game, he was folded all night long.

Good job Valley, you represented EKY very well!
Chuck Taylor Wrote:Yes it is in the past. But so is Ron Artest. And guess what we still talk about it. Smile

Chuck Taylor Wrote:Guess we could always start a new thread discussing the incident?

First off, what in the world does Ron Artest have to do with a high school basketball thread? Absolutley nothing. And I don't see anyone on here talking about him, except you.

As for your second post, yes, you could start a thread on the incident if you so chose. Just keep things civil and avoid personal attacks on players and everything should be fine.
Congratulations Valley!
Congrats Valley....this team is amazing to watch..
Pages: 1 2 3