Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Martin County 65 Pikeville 57 (15th Region Semifinal)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Final from Appalachian Wireless Arena in Pikeville.

Back-and-forth affair with the Cardinals taking control in the 3rd and doing enough to hang on late. After being down by as many as 11 in the third, Pikeville cut it to four with 1:16 remaining in regulation but they couldn't convert a look under the basket. From there, Martin County would turn the ball over, but Pikeville would miss an open look from three.

Martin County would go to the goal and get fouled with 36.5 seconds remaining. From there, Hale would convert both and stretch the lead out to six. After a Pikeville turnover, the Cards would pull it out and get fouled with 22.9 remaining and take care of business from there.
Disappointing to say the least. Baseball season.
Can coach James get some respect now? Dudes a basketball coach. Very good chance at 3 regional titles. He’s no Tommy Mckenzie but the dude is underrated
James is excellent and is very well respected.
I think this was the two best teams all season. Hate that they had to meet in the semis. Pikeville got the All A and I think Martin will get this one. This was a great game. Congrats to Martin County.
Martin Co. came out in the 3rd quarter with that 1-3-1 and it was over. Pikeville had no offense for it. Pikeville’s guys looked scared at times to take jumpers they’d normally take so Martin County’s length and athleticism probably played a part in that and Fitzer was Pikeville’s X factor and was no existent tonight.
For three quarters the game was as tight as David Trimble’s pullover but Martin pulls away and cruises to the win. Was really surprised that Justice let the Birds go on those runs without burning a timeout. Very entertaining game…
Hats off to both of these teams. Great basketball in the 15th.
I don’t think anyone cruised to anything that game. Pikeville had a few kids off their game tonight and Martin County had something to do with that but they definitely worked for it. Hale got going and Sturgell did what he’s done all year. Those 2 combined for close to 50. Last 6 minutes of 3rd quarter, MC went from down 7 to up 9 to start the 4th. Few missed short ones and too many turnovers for Pikeville. The 1-3-1 and 1-2-2 half court traps MC used definitely slowed down Pikeville. They have struggled against some zones at times this season. This should have been the championship game but I do like the super region. Better quality of games at the Expo overall this year.
I will say this. This game tonight should put to bed anyone who thinks it should be back in a high school gym. Place was packed.

If this was at Johnson Central or Pike Central plenty of fans would have been turned away and would have been forced to watch at home. Great atmosphere.
I didn’t think Martin would ever beat Pikeville.
Thought Pikeville would win region being senior heavy but Martin was the better team in this one. Should be a great final Monday. Does Pikeville take a couple steps back next year graduating as much as they do and returning little production?
(03-10-2024, 09:31 AM)Gladiator Man Wrote: [ -> ]I didn’t think Martin would ever beat Pikeville.
Martin has now won the last 3 of 4 games against Pikeville. So don’t know what you mean by Martin never beating Pikeville. Pikeville with Sammons last year was much harder to beat than this year team and that’s no disrespect to this year team. Sammons was just that good of a player.
(03-10-2024, 11:06 AM)devils88 Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-10-2024, 09:31 AM)Gladiator Man Wrote: [ -> ]I didn’t think Martin would ever beat Pikeville.
Martin has now won the last 3 of 4 games against Pikeville. So don’t know what you mean by Martin never beating Pikeville. Pikeville with Sammons last year was much harder to beat than this year team and that’s no disrespect to this year team. Sammons was just that good of a player.
Also Martin County starts 3 seniors who all have tons of experience playing in big games. Hale showed last night that he’s arguably the best player in the region this year. Martin County has had tons of talent come through recently with James, Dingess, Hale, McKenzie and Sturgill. They’ve been really good for sometime as has Pikeville.  If Martin County wins it, it will make them 3 titles in the last 8 years. Pikeville has 3, JC has 1 and Paintsville has 1 in that time span

Pikeville and Martin have been the best programs for the last 8 seasons.  Both lose tons of seniors.  Will be interesting to see these teams the next few years.
(03-10-2024, 01:12 PM)Grinch1 Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-10-2024, 11:06 AM)devils88 Wrote: [ -> ]
Also Martin County starts 3 seniors who all have tons of experience playing in big games. Hale showed last night that he’s arguably the best player in the region this year. Martin County has had tons of talent come through recently with James, Dingess, Hale, McKenzie and Sturgill. They’ve been really good for sometime as has Pikeville.  If Martin County wins it, it will make them 3 titles in the last 8 years. Pikeville has 3, JC has 1 and Paintsville has 1 in that time span

Pikeville and Martin have been the best programs for the last 8 seasons.  Both lose tons of seniors.  Will be interesting to see these teams the next few years.

If Trey James doesn’t graduate early, MC probably has 4, if they win tomorrow night.
(03-10-2024, 08:31 AM)Grinch1 Wrote: [ -> ]I will say this.  This game tonight should put to bed anyone who thinks it should be back in a high school gym.  Place was packed.

If this was at Johnson Central or Pike Central plenty of fans would have been turned away and would have been forced to watch at home.  Great atmosphere.
Facts. There is just no way it should go back. If people want it out of Pikeville have their city officials build a 5-7k seat arena. Until then enjoy the Appalachian Arena
(03-11-2024, 10:38 AM)SouthEast18 Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-10-2024, 08:31 AM)Grinch1 Wrote: [ -> ]I will say this.  This game tonight should put to bed anyone who thinks it should be back in a high school gym.  Place was packed.

If this was at Johnson Central or Pike Central plenty of fans would have been turned away and would have been forced to watch at home.  Great atmosphere.
Facts. There is just no way it should go back. If people want it out of Pikeville have their city officials build a 5-7k seat arena. Until then enjoy the Appalachian Arena
Also at the arena you don’t have to clear the gym between games. The arena is the best place for the tournament. You’d had to turn people away if you tried to bring in the crowd you had Saturday night in a high school gym. Plus you get a sense of region tournament in a HS gym with the super region
Only thing I don't like about it being at the EXPO is a bottle of water is $4
(03-11-2024, 01:14 PM)Spud6 Wrote: [ -> ]Only thing I don't like about it being at the EXPO is a bottle of water is $4

Agreed! At least they do have the water fountains where you can refill for free, or they did the last time I was there. Surprised they didn't shut those off so people would have to buy more bottles.