Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Betsy Layne 51 Prestonsburg 45
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Betsy Layne returned to the D.W Howard Field House in their Glory Road game and got a very ugly win over Pburg. Pburg led much of the game. As has been the case in recent years, things got a little chippy for the Bobcat at the end of the game. Even worse, it happened when a lot of former players, coaches, cheerleaders, twirlers, etc were in the stands for the game. That's too bad.
(02-17-2024, 07:06 PM)Westside Wrote: [ -> ]Betsy Layne returned to the D.W Howard Field House in their Glory Road game and got a very ugly win over Pburg.  Pburg led much of the game.  As has been the case in recent years, things got a little chippy for the Bobcat at the end of the game.  Even worse, it happened when a lot of former players, coaches, cheerleaders, twirlers, etc were in the stands for the game.  That's too bad.
Any idea what happened. Couldn’t tell on the live stream.  Look like PBurg players were chirping at the end of the game when the game was basically over and they were beat.
(02-17-2024, 07:15 PM)Grinch1 Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-17-2024, 07:06 PM)Westside Wrote: [ -> ]Betsy Layne returned to the D.W Howard Field House in their Glory Road game and got a very ugly win over Pburg.  Pburg led much of the game.  As has been the case in recent years, things got a little chippy for the Bobcat at the end of the game.  Even worse, it happened when a lot of former players, coaches, cheerleaders, twirlers, etc were in the stands for the game.  That's too bad.
Any idea what happened. Couldn’t tell on the live stream.  Look like PBurg players were chirping at the end of the game when the game was basically over and they were beat.

I have no idea.
I was watching it, just really looked like frustration.. Mostly Pburg but some on BL side too.. PBurg giving up a game they controlled for most of the clock and BL for not playing the way they usually do. Very low scoring for them... Thats just a guess though..
That was a completely backwards game the Bobcats played. Get hot, call a timeout. Have a player do well, take him out and let him sit. Not to mention they played a slow down game after running the doors off the Blackcats just a few days earlier. They’ have one lineup that is clearly the best defensively and that’s where they get their best offense from. This losing streak is squarely on going away from the defensive guys that created the win streak just before it. I thought it would take some time to figure it all out, but I can see very early exit in the postseason as the this coach as bowed to the same old song and dance of politics. Playing the names that will help keep him employed instead of winning.
(02-18-2024, 06:34 PM)Pikecoballer Wrote: [ -> ]That was a completely backwards game the Bobcats played. Get hot, call a timeout. Have a player do well, take him out and let him sit. Not to mention they played a slow down game after running the doors off the Blackcats just a few days earlier. They’ have one lineup that is clearly the best defensively and that’s where they get their best offense from.  This losing streak is squarely on going away from the defensive guys that created the win streak just before it. I thought it would take some time to figure it all out, but I can see very early exit in the postseason as the this coach as bowed to the same old song and dance of politics. Playing the names that will help keep him employed instead of winning.

Curious as to what lineup you believe needs to be the main one?

I think his best lineup is Pente, Parsons, Hall, Marttin and Kidd and he rode that lineup for the majority of the game yesterday.  He brought in Braden Hall, Grayson Hall and Andrew Collins who hit a big 3 yesterday down the stretch to help win it but he stuck with the starting lineup the majority of the game.
Starting five is fine. They obviously didn’t get tired yesterday since they walked up and down the floor the entire game. Betsy Layne is at their best getting up and down the floor. They let Prestonsburg dictate that game and nearly lost to a team they put a running clock on the week before. The biggest change? They shot poorly. They shot poorly because of poor shot selection. They are not a half court team and they played like it. They need Hall and Hall coming off the bench with energy to be at their best. Collins all of a sudden getting playing time is just a bonus if he continues to play well.

They are forcing the offense to go through certain players now and it’s killing them. No natural flow if it goes through the same pattern every trip.

The game took its biggest turn for the better when G Hall came in and shut down the middle when Napier had scored about 8 in a row in the third. BL came from 8 down to a 3 point lead with him in. Then he never saw the floor again.
yea, BL was out of rhythm . They played slow and loose at times which i not their game.. They could have easily lost that game but they did not and congrats for to them.. They had better not play that way in the next two games coming up
Betsy Layne is always the better team with Prestonsburg in Basketball, no surprise we won on Saturday. Although I’m a Bobcats fan I hate to see a Floyd County school down and it’s clear Prestonsburg is having issues. Had a parent tell me they have a Coach on staff that got fired from the Middle School, she didn’t explain why but said it wasn’t good, then add on top that she said they had a player and a Coach quit. Prestonsburg is clearly having issues and we capitalized on it, I think Mike Howard is doing a fine job, he has got a lot better as the year has went on. Excited for the future of Bobcats Basketball! #Bobcat4Life
(02-19-2024, 01:56 PM)FloydCountySuperstar Wrote: [ -> ]Betsy Layne is always the better team with Prestonsburg in Basketball, no surprise we won on Saturday. Although I’m a Bobcats fan I hate to see a Floyd County school down and it’s clear Prestonsburg is having issues. Had a parent tell me they have a Coach on staff that got fired from the Middle School, she didn’t explain why but said it wasn’t good, then add on top that she said they had a player and a Coach quit. Prestonsburg is clearly having issues and we capitalized on it, I think Mike Howard is doing a fine job, he has got a lot better as the year has went on. Excited for the future of Bobcats Basketball! #Bobcat4Life

Mike is doing a good job. Winning games like he won Saturday are needed. Not every game is going to be a shootout. You have to have games where you grind out a win and he did that. BL is fine. Wouldn’t be surprised to see them win district.
Congrats Bobcats!

From what I’ve seen this season, BL’s Coach is all over the place. Struggles making adjustments. No flow on offense. Loose cannon on the sideline at times. Instead of playing 7-8, he tries to play 10-11 like it’s the NBA and they have 48mins to play. He does so in fear of politics and losing his job. Every time I hear something political at BL, I watch them after that, and wouldn’t ya know it’s true, that player gets more time, etc. I’ve had several people tell me that the players hate him and that he has absolutely no idea what he’s doing. I can’t help but agree in the games I’ve watched, BL could be playing good and he’d sub or call a timeout on an 8-0 run, just stuff you don’t see from anyone with an ounce of coaching ability. I mean screaming at players because they missed a FT in the 2nd quarter? I doubt they missed it on purpose.
I've heard the same about the BL players not liking him. The way he throws tantrums on the sidelines like a toddler makes me want to see why.
He’s a first year coach at the high school level taking over a team that was coached by a successful Derrick Newsome who parents and players didn’t like either but won a lot of games and always had a chance in big games. I think Mike is doing a better job now and only rotating 7-8 players. Losing Brady Robinson who averaged 25 a game and having to play Kidd at the 5 who is a natural 3 guard would have been hard for any coach at any experience level to get working by end of the year.
Betsy Layne has the right coach, he's just a few seats down from Mike. Mason Hall should have been the head coach and hopefully one day he will get that chance. Having said that, if that is true about the players "hating" him, isn't that what also happened to Derrick Newsome? Having said that, I think Mike should have stuck to referring as he was a good one and these days with the ref shortages, people like him are sorely missed!

The great thing for them is even if they lose that first game of the District next week, they have a shot to keep playing thanks to the Super Regional the 15th is doing this year. Their matchup with Floyd Central in the District should be one of the better district games you could watch next week.
(02-19-2024, 03:26 PM)Pikecoballer Wrote: [ -> ]I've heard the same about the BL players not liking him.  The way he throws tantrums on the sidelines like a toddler makes me want to see why.

From the games I’ve watched, it makes sense as to why BL has been up and down, besides what looks like a tough schedule. You can see the confidence leave the players face every time he talks to them. Never understood taking players out after only one mistake, one missed shot, etc. Some having a short leash, while others don’t even have one. Players are only as good as they think they are, how can you expect them to perform at a certain level if you keep their confidence level down due to your lack of emotional intelligence.
I will have to say that being a good coach and the players liking you is two different things at times. The fact that the coach shows the players no respect and blames them for all of the losses while taking credit for the wins tells a lot. Also, just had a BL person tell me there was some problems in practice come up from the words “bunch of ret$rds” being directed at players. If true, I wouldn’t like him either.
Playing him at the 5?

Of course he’s gonna guard the tallest player on the other team. That’s a given. Just because he’s in the middle of a zone offense, doesn’t mean he’s a 5. I’ve seen plenty teams put their best playmaker there. Plenty of teams have an open post offense. Sometimes it’s not because of having to play so and so wherever, sometimes it’s just because you don’t know how to construct anything else.
(02-19-2024, 03:58 PM)P. Fanning Wrote: [ -> ]Betsy Layne has the right coach, he's just a few seats down from Mike. Mason Hall should have been the head coach and hopefully one day he will get that chance. Having said that, if that is true about the players "hating" him, isn't that what also happened to Derrick Newsome? Having said that, I think Mike should have stuck to referring as he was a good one and these days with the ref shortages, people like him are sorely missed!

The great thing for them is even if they lose that first game of the District next week, they have a shot to keep playing thanks to the Super Regional the 15th is doing this year. Their matchup with Floyd Central in the District should be one of the better district games you could watch next week.

Mason Hall wil make an outstanding coach somewhere soon.
Just from reading comments it’s seem like at Betsy Layne the parents or fans are not happy no matter who the coach is. Fans wanted the coach out to hire Newsome. Then they wanted Newsome out to hire this new coach. Now they want the new coach out and another new coach. Crazy
(02-19-2024, 04:41 PM)pirateforlife Wrote: [ -> ]Just from reading comments it’s seem like at Betsy Layne the parents or fans are not happy no matter who the coach is. Fans wanted the coach out to hire Newsome. Then they wanted Newsome out to hire this new coach. Now they want the new coach out and another new coach. Crazy

Never ending cycle. Derrick won three district titles and they wanted him out.
(02-19-2024, 04:41 PM)pirateforlife Wrote: [ -> ]Just from reading comments it’s seem like at Betsy Layne the parents or fans are not happy no matter who the coach is. Fans wanted the coach out to hire Newsome. Then they wanted Newsome out to hire this new coach. Now they want the new coach out and another new coach. Crazy

The common theme?  All of these hires are political hires with buddies putting them into place.  The buddies are happy, but everyone else isn't.  Not enough buddies to field a team eventually.  

Next year's coach?  I don't know if it will be Howard or someone else, but they have half the roster tied up in seniors.  If many leave, it will all depend on what the middle schoolers do coming up.  I don't think their is any guarantee that any of those stay and the returning roster players have quite a few listed that will not compete at the varsity level.
(02-19-2024, 04:47 PM)Spud6 Wrote: [ -> ]

As someone closer to the program that I am, wasn’t Newsome the name they wanted when that position came open? If you look at the top programs in the region who have won a region title in the last 10 years they all have a coach who has been there a while. Hiring a new coach every 2-3 years isn’t the answer

Newsome stepped down himself to keep from getting embarrased.  He had three players show up to commit to summer ball.  He knew if he didn't leave, he would have nothing to work with.
It wouldn't be basketball season if Betsy Layne (and really all of Floyd County) wasn't a dumpster fire. Talent gets out of there like their heads are on fire. Why would anyone play or coach in that atmosphere that has other options?
Derrick won 2 of 3. Not 3.

All with Covid holdbacks.
(02-19-2024, 05:15 PM)15thRegionScoop Wrote: [ -> ]Derrick won 2 of 3. Not 3.

All with Covid holdbacks.

I guess Betsy Layne is the only school that allowed Covid holdbacks
(02-19-2024, 05:10 PM)15rocks Wrote: [ -> ]It wouldn't be basketball season if Betsy Layne (and really all of Floyd County) wasn't a dumpster fire.  Talent gets out of there like their heads are on fire.  Why would anyone play or coach in that atmosphere that has other options?

I would like to disagree with you, but it does seem that way more and more every season.

(02-19-2024, 04:49 PM)Pikecoballer Wrote: [ -> ]

The common theme?  All of these hires are political hires with buddies putting them into place.  The buddies are happy, but everyone else isn't.  Not enough buddies to field a team eventually.  

Next year's coach?  I don't know if it will be Howard or someone else, but they have half the roster tied up in seniors.  If many leave, it will all depend on what the middle schoolers do coming up.  I don't think there is any guarantee that any of those stay and the returning roster players have quite a few listed that will not compete at the varsity level.

Most of the region loses everything after this season.
(02-19-2024, 05:17 PM)15thRegionScoop Wrote: [ -> ]

(02-19-2024, 04:49 PM)Pikecoballer Wrote: [ -> ]

Next year's coach?  I don't know if it will be Howard or someone else, but they have half the roster tied up in seniors.  If many leave, it will all depend on what the middle schoolers do coming up.  I don't think there is any guarantee that any of those stay and the returning roster players have quite a few listed that will not compete at the varsity level.

Most of the region loses everything after this season.

I don't think to the same level though.  Pente and Parsons are back.  I could see B. Hall leaving if his dad coaches elsewhere.  Collins is rumored to be leaving.  Even if those four stay, no one else currently playing will be able to help make them competitive.  They have another 8th grader that is supposed to be really good, but there isn't anymore listed on the roster.  So, I don't know even his name on that.
Pages: 1 2