Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Lexington Catholic 62 Frederick Douglass 56
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Final another good game from the 11th region. Catholic lead 21-6 after the first quarter. Douglass cut it to 2 points with 2 minutes to play and Catholic pulled away down the stretch for the win.
11th Region
Great Crossing
Lex Cath
Bryan Station
WoFo
then the rest
Sayre, Lex Christian, Henry Clay
(02-14-2024, 09:56 PM)Cafe Mocha Wrote: [ -> ]11th Region
Great Crossing
Lex Cath
Bryan Station
WoFo
then the rest

Hum I don't think WoFO really has any chance at winning the 11th since they are in the 8th region. It really is Great Crossings to lose they are double digits better than anyone else. I don't see Henry Clay having a shot even though they did beat Station once but Douglass beat them both times. The 42nd is the toughest district in the state probably 4 of the top 6 teams in the 11th are from the 42nd.
(02-14-2024, 10:01 PM)16BBall Fan Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-14-2024, 09:56 PM)Cafe Mocha Wrote: [ -> ]11th Region
Great Crossing
Lex Cath
Bryan Station
WoFo
then the rest

Hum I don't think WoFO really has any chance at winning the 11th since they are in the 8th region. It really is Great Crossings to lose they are double digits better than anyone else. I don't see Henry Clay having a shot even though they did beat Station once but Douglass beat them both times. The 42nd is the toughest district in the state probably 4 of the top 6 teams in the 11th are from the 42nd.
Darn it why did they move to the 8th a few years ago lol
(02-14-2024, 10:13 PM)Cafe Mocha Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-14-2024, 10:01 PM)16BBall Fan Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-14-2024, 09:56 PM)Cafe Mocha Wrote: [ -> ]11th Region
Great Crossing
Lex Cath
Bryan Station
WoFo
then the rest

Darn it why did they move to the 8th a few years ago lol

Trust me they are very happy to be in the 8th compared to the 11th I don't think they mind at all.
Teams who press don't like to be ___________________.
I think I initially discounted the ability of some of Catholic's kids to get all the way to the rim and finish. They're not going to bang one on someone's head, but they have some kids that are very fundamentally sound and are capable of making plays at the rim against athletic defenders when they're on.

Douglass took a lot of low percentage shots early. They were content to keep playing the three point lottery when the shots just weren't falling and Catholic was basically baiting them into the looks that they were taking. I would hate to see the Broncos' 3% in the first half-- would guess it was around 10%. Lots of breakdowns for a Freddy D team that should be elite defensively as well.

It was a 23-6 game with 6:17 left in the 2nd quarter when Boone got a nice bucket in the post that could have been there much of the game. 5:08 mark, Douglass misses a couple of threes before Boone decides to make a nice take for an and-one. Call me old-fashioned, but I would let people question my coaching ability or say what they wanted while I lived with the consequences of letting the best athletes on the floor play bullyball by getting all the way to the rim to finish or posting up. Letting Boone or Chenault try to break down the defense off the dribble while the other and Busson worked cutting to or on the blocks for dump-offs and rebounds & Surratt tried to stretch the floor if they dared them to shoot couldn't have worked any worse than the offensive output they had through two and a half quarters.

This was essentially a 15 point game with 4 minutes left in Q3. Credit to Douglass for hanging in there and getting Lex Cath rattled-- they hit a nice run to cut it to five by the 2 minute mark, mostly by getting to the rim. From there, Catholic actually could have made this one much worse if they'd knocked down some open looks from 3 that I don't know they'd always miss. Also not sure how well Douglass adjusted on the fly to even small wrinkles in Catholic's pressure very late in Q3.

Douglass doesn't look like the same team I saw in Rupp last season. I think I underestimated how much Simpson actually meant to them. Still capable of beating anyone, especially when they're on, and while they've had some injuries this season, you just get the impression that there are some things missing that are probably preventing them from hitting their ceiling.

Douglass did step into some threes late to cut it to 2 with 3:31 remaining in Q4. Hard to tell from the tape, but Catholic might have gotten away with an up-and-down that directly led to a three shortly after, and that was as close as the Broncos would ever be. Either way, that was NOT the difference in this game.

Know it was Valentine's Day, but terrible crowd for a game between two teams that are this good.

A little dust-up late looked to be unintentional, I had to replay it a few times, but it looked like maybe Boone was falling and his momentum carried him into a spill with a Lex Cath player. That was right on the baseline and near fans in the stands but was diffused quickly-- did end with some technicals and ejections (didn't catch all the names), but maybe some of those were a bit reactionary considering the point in the game, etc. Still, these two might have a little extra motivation if they meet one another again.
(02-15-2024, 06:42 AM)Cactus Jack Wrote: [ -> ]I think I initially discounted the ability of some of Catholic's kids to get all the way to the rim and finish. They're not going to bang one on someone's head, but they have some kids that are very fundamentally sound and are capable of making plays at the rim  against athletic defenders when they're on.

Douglass took a lot of low percentage shots early. They were content to keep playing the three point lottery when the shots just weren't falling and Catholic was basically baiting them into the looks that they were taking. I would hate to see the Broncos' 3% in the first half-- would guess it was around 10%. Lots of breakdowns for a Freddy D team that should be elite defensively as well.

It was a 23-6 game with 6:17 left in the 2nd quarter when Boone got a nice bucket in the post that could have been there much of the game. 5:08 mark, Douglass misses a couple of threes before Boone decides to make a nice take for an and-one. Call me old-fashioned, but I would let people question my coaching ability or say what they wanted while I lived with the consequences of letting the best athletes on the floor play bullyball by getting all the way to the rim to finish or posting up. Letting Boone or Chenault try to break down the defense off the dribble while the other and Busson worked cutting to or on the blocks for dump-offs and rebounds & Surratt tried to stretch the floor if they dared them to shoot couldn't have worked any worse than the offensive output they had through two and a half quarters.

This was essentially a 15 point game with 4 minutes left in Q3. Credit to Douglass for hanging in there and getting Lex Cath rattled-- they hit a nice run to cut it to five by the 2 minute mark, mostly by getting to the rim. From there, Catholic actually could have made this one much worse if they'd knocked down some open looks from 3 that I don't know they'd always miss. Also not sure how well Douglass adjusted on the fly to even small wrinkles in Catholic's pressure very late in Q3.

Douglass doesn't look like the same team I saw in Rupp last season. I think I underestimated how much Simpson actually meant to them. Still capable of beating anyone, especially when they're on, and while they've had some injuries this season, you just get the impression that there are some things missing that are probably preventing them from hitting their ceiling.

Douglass did step into  some threes late to cut it to 2 with 3:31 remaining in Q4. Hard to tell from the tape, but Catholic might have gotten away with an up-and-down that directly led to a three shortly after, and that was as close as the Broncos would ever be. Either way, that was NOT the difference in this game.

Know it was Valentine's Day, but terrible crowd for a game between two teams that are this good.

A little dust-up late looked to be unintentional, I had to replay it a few times, but it looked like maybe Boone was falling and his momentum carried him into a spill with a Lex Cath player. That was right on the baseline and near fans in the stands but was diffused quickly-- did end with some technicals and ejections (didn't catch all the names), but maybe some of those were a bit reactionary considering the point in the game, etc. Still, these two might have a little extra motivation if they meet one another again.
That’s your assessment on the player, falling and momentum carried to the ground? Lol how bout a clothes line to the neck/ head area that look like a WWE wrestling move and taken to the ground!!! Regardless I heard F1 and disqualified, so I’m sure it will be looked into considering their couple of games goes into district play.
Great Game between two really good teams!!
(02-15-2024, 07:41 AM)Cafe Mocha Wrote: [ -> ]That’s your assessment on the player, falling and momentum carried to the ground? Lol how bout a clothes line to the neck/ head area that look like a WWE wrestling move and taken to the ground!!! Regardless I heard F1 and disqualified, so I’m sure it will be looked into considering their couple of games goes into district play.

I had to rewatch a few times (on a tablet). Thought on the first review that it looked bad, but then it wasn't as clear on the second. If it was intentional, then the ejection is probably warranted. If Douglass loses him for the first round of the district tournament, then that's obviously huge.
"A little dust-up late looked to be unintentional, I had to replay it a few times, but it looked like maybe Boone was falling and his momentum carried him into a spill with a Lex Cath player. That was right on the baseline and near fans in the stands but was diffused quickly-- did end with some technicals and ejections"

Ref's do not hand out technicals and ejections when one player falls into another. They do, however, hand out ejections and technicals when one player assaults another.
The kid from FD got frustrated and attacked the Lex Cath player. That is what happened. It was not a "dust up" it was assault.
Do that to someone on the street and you will have your picture taken and spend the evening at the Fayette County Graybar Hotel.
(02-16-2024, 09:52 PM)Iggyfan Wrote: [ -> ]"A little dust-up late looked to be unintentional, I had to replay it a few times, but it looked like maybe Boone was falling and his momentum carried him into a spill with a Lex Cath player. That was right on the baseline and near fans in the stands but was diffused quickly-- did end with some technicals and ejections"

Ref's do not hand out technicals and ejections when one player falls into another. They do, however, hand out ejections and technicals when one player assaults another.
The kid from FD got frustrated and attacked the Lex Cath player. That is what happened. It was not a "dust up" it was assault.
Do that to someone on the street and you will have your picture taken and spend the evening at the Fayette County Graybar Hotel.

Yea, uhhhh... there are a lot of things that happen in basketball and football that would be assault in other settings-- Lexington Catholic (or anyone else's) kids putting two hands in someone's back and shoving them or making contact with an elbow could be other examples.

Watching live, it looked bad at first. When I watched it a second time, I thought he'd gotten tripped up and his momentum was already taking him to the floor before he grabbed onto the other player.

The Bluegrass Basketball Association officials are some of the best in the state. They chose to eject Boone and give technicals to additional members of each team. Boone is serving his suspension and everyone will move on. If the teams meet again, the game will probably be called a bit tighter early. Boone probably gets officiated differently for a bit. But suggesting that Boone "attacked" someone and is a criminal is a bit ridiculous, though I'm sadly not surprised to hear such a lazy comparison either.

If he were really trying to hurt him, he probably could have and I doubt he'd have gone about it like that if inflicting serious injury was actually his intent.
Yea, uhhhh... there are a lot of things that happen in basketball and football that would be assault in other settings-- Lexington Catholic (or anyone else's) kids putting two hands in someone's back and shoving them or making contact with an elbow could be other examples.

Watching live, it looked bad at first. When I watched it a second time, I thought he'd gotten tripped up and his momentum was already taking him to the floor before he grabbed onto the other player.

The Bluegrass Basketball Association officials are some of the best in the state. They chose to eject Boone and give technicals to additional members of each team. Boone is serving his suspension and everyone will move on. If the teams meet again, the game will probably be called a bit tighter early. Boone probably gets officiated differently for a bit. But suggesting that Boone "attacked" someone and is a criminal is a bit ridiculous, though I'm sadly not surprised to hear such a lazy comparison either.

If he were really trying to hurt him, he probably could have and I doubt he'd have gone about it like that if inflicting serious injury was actually his intent.
[/quote]

No need to keep making excuses for the FD player's actions. The tape does not lie.