Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Rockcastle Varsity Cheerleading team takes 1st Place - Nationals at Walt Disney World
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The Rockcastle Varsity Cheerleading squad takes first place at the 2024 UCA National Cheerleading competition at Walt Disney World.  This is the high water mark for prestige when it comes to cheerleading competitions at any level.  They placed first in the Super Varsity Non Tumbling Division II Game Day division.  They also took third place in the Medium High School Non Tumbling Division II competition.  Congratulations to Coach Joanie Lake on her first National Championship!  Very proud of all of you!
(02-13-2024, 09:29 AM)papagrit Wrote: [ -> ]The Rockcastle Varsity Cheerleading squad takes first place at the 2024 UCA National Cheerleading competition at Walt Disney World.  This is the high water mark for prestige when it comes to cheerleading competitions at any level.  They placed first in the Super Varsity Non Tumbling Division II Game Day division.  They also took third place in the Medium High School Non Tumbling Division II competition.  Congratulations to Coach Joanie Lake on her first National Championship!  Very proud of all of you!
 Awesome! Congratulations to the Rockcastle squad! big time achievement
This made year two for me going down there with my wife who is a coach of a team that goes every year. It's very hard for me to keep up because there are so many divisions and so many kids get jackets now a days and you see so many athletes walking around the facilities with white jackets on.
(02-14-2024, 03:01 PM)Spud6 Wrote: [ -> ]This made year two for me going down there with my wife who is a coach of a team that goes every year.  It's very hard for me to keep up because there are so many divisions and so many kids get jackets now a days and you see so many athletes walking around the facilities with white jackets on.
I read about the group that puts on the competition on their website.  There are over 1,000 teams that attend so I guess they have to divide it up quite a bit into classes.  Like three levels of schools by size, tumbling/acrobatics shows versus game day routines etc.  I get what your saying, but, it is still awesome to beat a bunch of other teams from across the U.S. to get one of those white jackets.  I'm very proud of the local kids for winning their division in game day routine level two school size.  The participating schools are from all over the US.  The cost is enormous for the kids to have to raise the funds just to attend the competitions plus unlike other KHSAA sports programs, cheerleading outfits are not provided by the school but are purchased through fund raising.  Disney makes a slaying and the logistics of getting them there is crazy expensive.  So the kids work hard to raise the funds to stick their necks out there just for a chance for one of those jackets.  It shows these kids that they have to work for what they want just like other sports.
And the dedication of the coaches to help do all this?  Incredible!  I wouldn't even want to have to go to DISNEY every year myself.  I took my kids for three days when they were about 8-10 years old and then we stopped on the way back home at Jeckyll Island, GA for three more days of beach time just to get over the Disney trip.  My condolences to you for two years in a row.  I did my time...I'm not going back and it's been twenty years.  LOL
What great recognition!! Congratulations Rockcastle Varsity!!

I remember when my granddaughter was on a team that one this. It was several years ago. She cheered for Henry Clay Varsity. I was thrilled!
Non tumbling cheerleading divisions should be banned  Dodgy It is the equivalent to creating a non dribbling basketball league for the people who aren't good at basketball, then celebrating them like they're the best ??‍♀️
(02-18-2024, 08:53 PM)Houndwife Wrote: [ -> ]Non tumbling cheerleading divisions should be banned  Dodgy It is the equivalent to creating a non dribbling basketball league for the people who aren't good at basketball, then celebrating them like they're the best ??‍♀️
Nice first post.  I take it your tumbling kid didn't get a white jacket.  You should use your real avatar when making a sarcastic post like this so people will know you've got guts.   Undecided
But everyone's got an opinon I suppose.  I'm proud of them and that opinion of yours matters not to me.
(02-19-2024, 11:00 AM)papagrit Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-18-2024, 08:53 PM)Houndwife Wrote: [ -> ]Non tumbling cheerleading divisions should be banned  Dodgy It is the equivalent to creating a non dribbling basketball league for the people who aren't good at basketball, then celebrating them like they're the best ??‍♀️
Nice first post.  I take it your tumbling kid didn't get a white jacket.  You should use your real avatar when making a sarcastic post like this so people will know you've got guts.   Undecided
But everyone's got an opinon I suppose.  I'm proud of them and that opinion of yours matters not to me.

Maybe don't completely get rid of the division but seperate them on different weekends.  There's is so many people down there.

Thank you!! Someone needed to say it! I remember when Nationals was TRULY nationals! The actual BEST in the country! Varsity has ruined cheerleading, for the all mighty dollar. They want anyone and everyone in Orlando to make that GREEN. They disguise it as making cheerleading "more inclusive" for those that don't have tumbling. It would be the equivalent of me waking up one morning and deciding I wanted to be a highschool basketball player even though I've never played and expecting the sport to cater to me so I can be included haha Ohh the world of participation trophies, what bliss. I'm actually not a parent hahah just observer. Those white jackets used to mean something, and they just don't anymore. You've got kids that pour their heart and souls into cheerleading their ENTIRE lives to get tumbling and be the BEST. They go down to Orlando, and compete in a non participation trophy division, and place say Top 10. HUGE ACCOMPLISHMENT! Come home, and an opposing team waltzes by them with pretty white jackets on for being the "BEST" in the nation when they literally went out on stage and said rah rah rah ? My opinion, it's a slap in the face. It is embarrassing, and the routines are painful to watch. I hope the judges of non tumbling divisions get paid double! Instead of someone sitting these teams down, and spitting the hard truth that they aren't good enough (great life lesson there) and motivating them to work HARDER and improve themselves and get their skills, we simply make them their own division, and treat them like they're champions when they win it hahah get out of here with that. What is so wrong with if you want something, work for it? The RIGHT way? I could have never woke up in highschool and decided I wanted to be a ball player one day, and expected a state championship? So what makes anyone think they can wake up one morning and just be a cheerleading champion? Lol it needs to stop. Save all those thousands of dollars spent going down there every year and invest it in the cheerleaders. Use it to pay for gymnastics, training, etc. Something that will improve THEM! Kids today are handed enough, gymnastics, that can't be handed to anyone. It teaches self discipline, hard work, mental and physical toughness, etc. What's so wrong with that?
(02-19-2024, 03:03 PM)Spud6 Wrote: [ -> ]

Maybe don't completely get rid of the division but seperate them on different weekends.  There's is so many people down there.
I didn't go down and see the crowd.  I know UK got third in their division three days before so college teams had just been there.  I could see them splitting up divisions and spreading the competition out over more time.  I haven't and I won't go back to Disney again as it IS a money grab.  That's a respectful answer Spud and I appreciate you usuallly going about things in a classy way.  You didn't say, "they should shut down the whole division and leave them at home because they just aren't good enough to compete with OUR girls".
I'm glad for any kid that can reach a goal they've set out to achieve.  That non tumbling division was created and those girls topped it beating out about 17 teams.
All I did was post how proud I was of the Rockcastle kids for their achievement in celebration of the local team.  Opinions are like buttholes, everyone has theirs and they just have to blow it out there at others.  I'm no cheerleading expert and don't plan to be.
(02-19-2024, 06:15 PM)papagrit Wrote: [ -> ]

I didn't go down and see the crowd.  I know UK got third in their division three days before so college teams had just been there.  I could see them splitting up divisions and spreading the competition out over more time.  I haven't and I won't go back to Disney again as it IS a money grab.  That's a respectful answer Spud and I appreciate you usuallly going about things in a classy way.  You didn't say, "they should shut down the whole division and leave them at home because they just aren't good enough to compete with OUR girls".
I'm glad for any kid that can reach a goal they've set out to achieve.  That non tumbling division was created and those girls topped it beating out about 17 teams.
All I did was post how proud I was of the Rockcastle kids for their achievement in celebration of the local team.  Opinions are like buttholes, everyone has theirs and they just have to blow it out there at others.  I'm no cheerleading expert and don't plan to be.

I did reiterate that I have no child cheering didn't I ? Nor will I EVER have a child cheering lol merely an observer, hell I don't even have a child in middle school or high school either one! Why set the goal so low for your child though? Why not push for them to be the BEST? My parents set the bar at the highest possible, did I reach it? Nope. Did I work harder, and learn from it? Absolutely. I will say you're correct about the division. It does exist, and in my opinion it shouldn't. It teaches kids that if something is too hard, there's an easy way out. Coaches want to win, and it all comes at the expense of the girls.
(02-19-2024, 06:30 PM)Houndwife Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-19-2024, 06:15 PM)papagrit Wrote: [ -> ]

I did reiterate that I have no child cheering didn't I ? Nor will I EVER have a child cheering lol merely an observer, hell I don't even have a child in middle school or high school either one! Why set the goal so low for your child though? Why not push for them to be the BEST? My parents set the bar at the highest possible, did I reach it? Nope. Did I work harder, and learn from it? Absolutely. I will say you're correct about the division. It does exist, and in my opinion it shouldn't. It teaches kids that if something is too hard, there's an easy way out. Coaches want to win, and it all comes at the expense of the girls.
See above bold and underlined.....Nuff said.
Congrats to the Rock cheerleaders and coaches....I'm still very proud of you!  Even if the female hound says I shouldn't be.