Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Florida 94 Kentucky 91 (OT)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Tough loss to a bubble team at home. One Dillingham free throw would have clinched it. Reed fell asleep on the three that sent the game into overtime. Cats let this one get away.  Ugo was terrific!  This team simply can't get stops against decent offensive teams.  These two teams looked pretty evenly matched , and that's not good news for Big Blue fans.
(02-01-2024, 12:23 AM)Old School Hound Wrote: [ -> ]Tough loss to a bubble team at home. One Dillingham free throw would have clinched it. Reed fell asleep on the three that sent the game into overtime. Cats let this one get away.  Ugo was terrific!  This team simply can't get stops against decent offensive teams.  These two teams looked pretty evenly matched , and that's not good news for Big Blue fans.

You're forgetting someone else who fell asleep at the end of regulation. I'll give you 10 million hints...
What did Coach Cal do or not do that Coach Jet would or wouldn't have done?
(02-01-2024, 12:41 AM)Old School Hound Wrote: [ -> ]What did Coach Cal do or not do that Coach Jet would or wouldn't have done?

You know exactly. But if not I don't care enough tonight to explain it to you. I'm sure it's all over all the message boards.
Is it Cal's fault for Reed Sheppard's horrific defense all night. The good thing about his bad D is that it might keep him in Lexington for a few years. There's not a single guy in the NBA that Reed could guard. You are up 3 points with under 10 seconds to play and you are standing well below the 3-point line so that your man(who has already torched you for 7 three-pointers) can easily get off a good look from three to tie the game. Yeah... that's Cal's fault. [rolls eyes]
(02-01-2024, 01:09 AM)Old School Hound Wrote: [ -> ]Is it Cal's fault for Reed Sheppard's horrific defense all night.  The good thing about his bad D is that it might keep him in Lexington for a few years. There's not a single guy in the NBA that Reed could guard. You are up 3 points with    under 10 seconds to play and you are standing well below the 3-point line so that your man(who has already torched you for 7 three-pointers) can easily get off a good look from three to tie the game. Yeah... that's Cal's fault. [rolls eyes]

It sucks being a UK fan. The joy is gone and the buck stops with Cal. We all know your nose is up Cal's ass only because he is a left-winger. Cal was always mediocre and now he is several years past his prime. This UK team everyone was excited about is now a lock for 10 losses and another middle of the pack SEC finish. 

Do 2 minutes of research about the end of this game and if you can't figure it out someone will explain it to you.

If it's always the players' fault when we lose like you claim then it's always them who win the game too so what the hell do we need to pay Cal zillions for?

You are so eat up with liberal brain damage that you can't even watch a damn basketball game and know what happened.

PS Rick Pitino or 50 other coaches (Republican and Democrat) would not have lost that game.
(02-01-2024, 01:31 AM)jetpilot Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-01-2024, 01:09 AM)Old School Hound Wrote: [ -> ]Is it Cal's fault for Reed Sheppard's horrific defense all night.  The good thing about his bad D is that it might keep him in Lexington for a few years. There's not a single guy in the NBA that Reed could guard. You are up 3 points with    under 10 seconds to play and you are standing well below the 3-point line so that your man(who has already torched you for 7 three-pointers) can easily get off a good look from three to tie the game. Yeah... that's Cal's fault. [rolls eyes]

It sucks being a UK fan. The joy is gone and the buck stops with Cal. We all know your nose is up Cal's ass only because he is a left-winger. Cal was always mediocre and now he is several years past his prime. This UK team everyone was excited about is now a lock for 10 losses and another middle of the pack SEC finish. 

Do 2 minutes of research about the end of this game and if you can't figure it out someone will explain it to you.

If it's always the players' fault when we lose like you claim then it's always them who win the game too so what the hell do we need to pay Cal zillions for?

You are so eat up with liberal brain damage that you can't even watch a damn basketball game and know what happened.

PS Rick Pitino or 50 other coaches (Republican and Democrat) would not have lost that game.
Now, let's see if this thread gets closed with your bringing up politics in a UK thread.  What's good for the goose is good for the gander. Either no one talks  politics in the college basketball forum or everyone should be able to talk it. Which is it gonna be?
Kyle Tucker
@KyleTucker_ATH
·
57m
The thing about always wanting to flex on people for second-guessing your coaching is that you need to actually prove them wrong when the moment arises.
(02-01-2024, 01:46 AM)Old School Hound Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-01-2024, 01:31 AM)jetpilot Wrote: [ -> ]

Now, let's see if this thread gets closed with your bringing up politics in a UK thread.  What's good for the goose is good for the gander. Either no one talks  politics in the college basketball forum or everyone should be able to talk it. Which is it gonna be?
LOL! Highlighted everything in the post except all the stuff about the game and the state of the program which everyone but you knows is true. They can close the thread but everybody knows...

Sleep on it and get back to me on how Cal fell asleep at the end of regulation. It's ok, everyone else knows.
Matt Jones
@KySportsRadio
·
49m
This to me is the stat

I understand losses happen. But there are too many of these
Daniel Hager
@DanielHagerKSR
·
1h
·
Unranked losses at Rupp Arena from 2009-2019 (10 Seasons): 4

Unranked losses at Rupp Arena from 2019-2024 (5 Seasons): 12
Matt Jones
@KySportsRadio
·
1h
There were 5 seconds left when he took the 3. We should have fouled
Jeff Drummond
@JDrumUK
·
1h
Kentucky HC John Calipari is asked why the Cats did not foul at the end of regulation, allowing the game-tying 3. Says he thought there was too much time left, wanted to play it out.
Matt Jones
@KySportsRadio
·
1h
Also when we were up 2 and inbounding, you have to get that ball to Reeves or Sheppard to shoot the Free Throws

Timeout there and set something up to make sure one of them is shooting the Free Throws
There you go OSH. Since your brain cannot FOR SOME REASON process what your own eyes are seeing while watching a UK basketball game, I am happy to help.
I think we all know why jetpilot, plant boy, and the bizarro 17% of BBN complains incessantly about Cal and blames him for every loss. It's the same reason that our pilot projected onto Old School. Rational-minded UK fans know that UK lost because of a missed free throw and home state hero falling asleep with seconds remaining.
(02-01-2024, 02:13 AM)Old School Hound Wrote: [ -> ]I think we all know why jetpilot,  plant boy, and the bizarro 17% of BBN complains incessantly about Cal and blames him for every loss. It's the same reason that our pilot projected onto Old School. Rational-minded UK fans know that UK lost because of a missed free throw and home state hero falling asleep with seconds remaining.
17% is idiotic.

As fully expected, your brain is not able to process what your own 2 eyes and everybody else's saw at the end of regulation. You think the head coach has no bearing on how games turn out but don't see a problem with paying him zillions for life with no accountability. Idiotic, wonder where that kind of reasoning comes from. Just kidding we know lol. And wants his local HS football coach who makes 1/2 OF 1% OF WHAT CAL MAKES NOT COUNTING MILLIONS MORE IN PERKS ran out of town for going 13-1 and losing to the best team in the state. So stupid, so transparent, so predictable, so typical.
I still like you though OHS. Goodnight
Derek
@Dl22242224
People who don't have an athletic bone in their body preach analytics. Analytics say dan campbell made the right decisions against the 9ers. How did that work out...its a gamble either way. I guarantee if uk fouled and lost, you would criticize that too. Bc it's cal
11:08 PM · Jan 31, 2024
·
Well…..I have to admit I’m one of those that was screaming at the tv to foul. I know some coaches are scared of it. It’s never been a debate in my mind. In that spot, you foul. Yes, they could make two and get a steal and score. That might happen once every two or three years. Them making a three? Gonna happen once every three games or so. Take the foul. And Sheppard’s defense, while really good in a team setting, is pretty atrocious one-on-one, sort of the dirty little secret of what had been a feel good season, Cactus Jack has pointed it out numerous times on here.

But anyway, I don’t want to get into the Cal debate. I’m more concerned about where we are headed. The schedule the rest of the way is brutal, and even the mediocre teams (hello, Texas A & M) get sky high for their shot at us. 10+ losses and a 6 or worse seed in the tournament is a very real scenario. ESPN had Florida in their first four out line before last night. They are now 15-6. We are 15-5. Hmmm.
(02-01-2024, 02:58 AM)Old School Hound Wrote: [ -> ]Derek
@Dl22242224
People who don't have an athletic bone in their body preach analytics.  Analytics say dan campbell made the right decisions against the 9ers. How did that work out...its a gamble either way. I guarantee if uk fouled and lost, you would criticize that too. Bc it's cal
11:08 PM · Jan 31, 2024
·

As usual, a lot of guesses and generalizations and bad conclusions. Been several years of unacceptable results now and the buck stops with the HC. It’s a ridiculously easy concept to grasp. It wasn’t just not fouling at the end it was calling time out before that to make sure the ball came in to Sheppard or Reeves or at least making sure the players knew to do that.

UK basketball results the last several years are SUBSTANDARD and UNACCEPTABLE. That is a fact in plain sight for everyone to see. NO EXCUSES.
I swear to you, the older I get the more pathetic I become. Fell asleep again before the end of the game. So I watched it again this morning. UK should have won this game. I'm so tired of the 7 footers standing around with their fingers up their butt. I'm also pretty proud of Reeves and Sheppard. Reeves would drive against a bull dozier and Sheppard's sight of the floor continues to impress me.

For those of you looking for someone to blame, this loss falls squarely on Cal's shoulders. Even if Florida WAS in the bonus, I would've gone after the ball and not stopped before we took possession or fouled. In this case, Florida wasn't in the bonus, so it shouldn't have even been considered whether or not to foul. Calling time outs close to the end of the game to set up a play is ELEMENTARY. These two scenarios are absolutely Cal's fault and nobody else's. Sorry, that's just the way it is.

I'm becoming more and more disappointed in this season. Hopefully, some of the smarter players can coach us through the Tennessee game; otherwise, you can chalk up even another loss for UK this weekend.
One made free throw by Dilly and none of these critical posts would have seen the light of day. All we would have heard is how great Ugo was . Bottomline is this , BGR nation. These UK defenders can't stay in front of anyone. Worst perimeter defenders I have ever seen. As much as our coaches preach and teach defense(and they do it a lot) , our guys simply cannot, or will not, defend. It's an easy path to the basket on the drive or a wide open three for any decent offensive team, like Florida. Our guys want to play Kenny Rodgers defense. They gamble! Rather than playing disciplined , they gamble, and often find themselves out of position. What in the Dwayne Schintzius was Reed Sheppard doing, or thinking? Under 10 seconds to go and up 3 and you are six to eight feet from the three point line, allowing Clayton an open look? You really think that's what Cal wanted?

Cal has said numerous times that 18 and 19 y.o. kids don't always listen to what's told to them. We all know that's true. We have some very good coaches on a bench but, still, it's up to these kids to execute. Our guys just can't defend!!! But look around college basketball. It's not just UK. Purdue gave up 96 at home to Northwestern last night and almost lost. We are gonna have to hope we can outscore teams and make ONE STOP down the stretch in games in order to advance in the NCAA tournament.
(02-01-2024, 11:09 AM)Old School Hound Wrote: [ -> ]One made free throw by Dilly and none of these critical posts would have seen the light of day. All we would have heard is how great Ugo was . Bottomline is this ,    BGR  nation. These UK defenders can't stay in front of anyone. Worst perimeter defenders I have ever seen. As much as our coaches preach and teach defense(and they do it a lot) , our guys simply cannot, or will not, defend. It's an easy path to the basket on the drive or a wide open three for any decent offensive team, like Florida. Our guys want to play Kenny Rodgers defense. They gamble! Rather than playing disciplined , they gamble, and often find themselves out of position.  What in the Dwayne Schintzius was Reed Sheppard doing, or thinking?  Under 10 seconds to go and up 3 and you are six to eight feet from the three point line, allowing Clayton an open look? You really think that's what Cal wanted?

Cal has said numerous times that 18 and 19 y.o. kids don't always listen to what's told to them.  We all know that's true. We have some very good coaches on a bench but, still, it's up to these kids to execute. Our guys just can't defend!!! But look around college basketball. It's not just UK. Purdue gave up 96 at home to Northwestern last night and almost lost.  We are gonna have to hope we can outscore  teams and make ONE STOP down the stretch in games in order to advance in the NCAA tournament.
Same sh!t, different excuse.
SUBSTANDARD AND UNACCEPTABLE RESULTS FOR SEVERAL YEARS NOW.
Analyze the why OSH, analyze the why...

@KyleTucker_ATH
·
8h
The most fun Kentucky team since 2017 is currently fifth in the SEC behind Alabama, Auburn, South Carolina and Tennessee. The Crimson Tide went 20 years without an SEC title and could win a third in four years. Fair for UK fans to be pissed about that and to analyze the why.
Man this loss is the most disappointing loss this season to me. Had the game one and let it get away. Reed done what he always does, and others, they ball watch and try to get steals instead of denying their man the ball. To me this is on both player and coach. The players are the ones doing it but the coaches should see this and already have put a stop to it. Onyenso was really good for us. The other two not so much. Z really has disappeared since his debut. This is going to be the norm the rest of the season. We just gotta hope they click at the right time and put some wins together.
FIRE CAL FIRE CAL FIRE CAL
(02-01-2024, 06:30 AM)Van Hagar Wrote: [ -> ]Well…..I have to admit I’m one of those that was screaming at the tv to foul. I know some coaches are scared of it. It’s never been a debate in my mind. In that spot, you foul. Yes, they could make two and get a steal and score. That might happen once every two or three years. Them making a three? Gonna happen once every three games or so. Take the foul. And Sheppard’s defense, while really good in a team setting, is pretty atrocious one-on-one, sort of the dirty little secret of what had been a feel good season, Cactus Jack has pointed it out numerous times on here.

But anyway, I don’t want to get into the Cal debate. I’m more concerned about where we are headed. The schedule the rest of the way is brutal, and even the mediocre teams (hello, Texas A & M) get sky high for their shot at us. 10+ losses and a 6 or worse seed in the tournament is a very real scenario. ESPN had Florida in their first four out line before last night. They are now 15-6. We are 15-5. Hmmm.

If Wagner is going to miss extended time, Reed might be lucky to get his bag as a first round pick at the end of the season. I think games like last night and being in a situation where he plays a ton of minutes risks exposing him. Lateral quickness is one of the most difficult things to enhance or improve as an athlete.

Very worried about the type of seed Kentucky gets. I'd just as soon be a 7 that can beat the 2 and take their path as I would being a 3 or 4 and playing a strong, experienced team from a small conference in the 3-14 or 4-13 game.

(02-01-2024, 10:09 AM)Granny Bear Wrote: [ -> ]I swear to you, the older I get the more pathetic I become. Fell asleep again before the end of the game. So I watched it again this morning. UK should have won this game. I'm so tired of the 7 footers standing around with their fingers up their butt. I'm also pretty proud of Reeves and Sheppard. Reeves would drive against a bull dozier and Sheppard's sight of the floor continues to impress me.

For those of you looking for someone to blame, this loss falls squarely on Cal's shoulders. Even if Florida WAS in the bonus, I would've gone after the ball and not stopped before we took possession or fouled. In this case, Florida wasn't in the bonus, so it shouldn't have even been considered whether or not to foul. Calling time outs close to the end of the game to set up a play is ELEMENTARY. These two scenarios are absolutely Cal's fault and nobody else's. Sorry, that's just the way it is.

I'm becoming more and more disappointed in this season. Hopefully, some of the smarter players can coach us through the Tennessee game; otherwise, you can chalk up even another loss for UK this weekend.

(02-01-2024, 11:09 AM)Old School Hound Wrote: [ -> ]One made free throw by Dilly and none of these critical posts would have seen the light of day. All we would have heard is how great Ugo was . Bottomline is this , BGR nation. These UK defenders can't stay in front of anyone. Worst perimeter defenders I have ever seen. As much as our coaches preach and teach defense(and they do it a lot) , our guys simply cannot, or will not, defend. It's an easy path to the basket on the drive or a wide open three for any decent offensive team, like Florida. Our guys want to play Kenny Rodgers defense. They gamble! Rather than playing disciplined , they gamble, and often find themselves out of position. What in the Dwayne Schintzius was Reed Sheppard doing, or thinking? Under 10 seconds to go and up 3 and you are six to eight feet from the three point line, allowing Clayton an open look? You really think that's what Cal wanted?

Cal has said numerous times that 18 and 19 y.o. kids don't always listen to what's told to them. We all know that's true. We have some very good coaches on a bench but, still, it's up to these kids to execute. Our guys just can't defend!!! But look around college basketball. It's not just UK. Purdue gave up 96 at home to Northwestern last night and almost lost. We are gonna have to hope we can outscore teams and make ONE STOP down the stretch in games in order to advance in the NCAA tournament.

Didn't to get to watch the entire game, but thought Onyenso had some really great moments, but he's really skinny and gets pushed out of the way on the glass very easily. That's going to keep him from being in the NBA unless he can improve. There's still plenty of time, and it's probably a matter of putting on weight as much as anything else. Just like some of the things OSH mentioned, if Onyenso doesn't get pushed out of the way and a Gator snatches a rebound, we probably aren't having this discussion either.

I don't have a huge problem with Dillingham getting the ball at the end of the game. I think the preference would be to get it in the hands of Sheppard or Reeves, but Dillingham is lightning quick and I can understand why you'd trust him to either be open or work to get himself open. The shot that was made on Sheppard was also a very tough look.

Think we'll at least split with Tennessee. I've never been a fan of Rick Barnes and don't know what people see in him. For someone who has been in the game so long and is supposedly so great, he only has one Final Four on his resume (and that one was while he was the coach at Texas, his regional final was played in San Antonio, and he beat a 7-seed in the Elite Eight).
^^^Barnes has won more games than Calipari the last 6 years and the two teams are 5-5 the last 10 games so there is that...
I think this Kentucky team has the offensive prowess to beat most any of the teams in the country but the defensive ineptitude to lose to most anyone come tournament time. Not being able to get key stops at pivotal moments probably gets them vanquished in game three or four of the tourney. However, they have enough weapons to make a run. Tourney time is a bit of a crap shoot.
Tourney time isn’t a “crap shoot”. It’s crunch time. And in crunch time winners win and losers make excuses and go home.
(02-02-2024, 11:37 AM)jetpilot Wrote: [ -> ]Tourney time isn’t a “crap shoot”. It’s crunch time. And in crunch time winners win and losers make excuses and go home.

It's crunch time but a lot of good teams will bow out earlier than expected. There's skillful play but there's also some luck involved in winning a national title. We see that every year.
Pages: 1 2