Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Betsy Layne 87 Johnson Central 84 OT
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Final per KHSAA scoreboard.
According to a social media post that I have seen, Betsy Lane's Cameron Pente finished with 33 points including 8- 3 pointers.  One video shows he hit a 3 pointer from the lower block on the other side of the court.  It is one of the most amazing shots I have ever seen anywhere.
Really tough loss for JC tonight. They played extremely well throughout but Betsy Layne had one of the best shooting nights in their schools history. They hit a full court shot at the buzzer. They hit a buzzer beater in all 4 quarters. Seemed like all of their points were from 3. It was unbelievable.
Betsy Layne shot the lights. If they shoot a normal percentage from three, they lose by double digits and more. Johnson Central played well and had a great start, but they did leave the shooters open too much. Betsy Layne will have to shoot like that every night to have a chance though. They played a no defense lineup all night and left the middle wide open for Rose and their guards kept getting exposed as they got blew by constantly. New coaches this year, but I do think they are having buyers remorse. Newsome could coach, he just wasn't well liked by the players. They won last night despite the coaches, not because of. We will be fine at JC. Very young and will learn. Next three years should be fun.
17 threes from Betsy Layne in this one I believe. Hard to lose a game shooting that well.
Yeah by looking on KHSAA. Pente had hit 8 total threes all year coming into last night. He hits 8 of their 17 and it still took OT to beat a young JC team. Seems like BL has to fix a lot of things defensively but last night was a decent win on the road to maybe right the ship for the final part of the season.
Central may be the worst defensive team in our side of the state. Hopefully Paintsville will limit Slone’s touches on Friday and come out with a win. That’s the key to beat Central. Slone’s touches has to be limited because the other four on the floor are not a threat to score. Then on offense, drive to the lane and kick out for a wide open three. Central is clueless on the defensive end.
(01-31-2024, 09:56 AM)15rocks Wrote: [ -> ]Betsy Layne shot the lights.  If they shoot a normal percentage from three, they lose by double digits and more.  Johnson Central played well and had a great start, but they did leave the shooters open too much.  Betsy Layne will have to shoot like that every night to have a chance though.  They played a no defense lineup all night and left the middle wide open for Rose and their guards kept getting exposed as they got blew by constantly.  New coaches this year, but I do think they are having buyers remorse.  Newsome could coach, he just wasn't well liked by the players.  They won last night despite the coaches, not because of.  We will be fine at JC.  Very young and will learn.  Next three years should be fun.

When I see posts about a coach or coaches, I immediately go to look at other posts by the poster and potential culprits.

This is your first post in 3 years, but you felt the need to post after this one. With ties to JC and BL, hmmm. Something to chew on for others.

Betsy Layne needs to shoot lights out to win?

- JC shot 56% for the game lol 
- All 5 starters scored 14 or more
- Slone and Shepherd both scored near their average.
- Montgomery also made three 3's, only made 8 for the season up until that point at 25%. 
- Rose, Meeks and Montgomery average 19 PPG combined, but had 46.

JC beat Prestonsburg by 20, Paintsville by 13, only lost to GRC by 7 and only lost to Martin County by 7... JC is not bad by any stretch of the imagination.

Doesn't seem like Betsy Layne got lucky, just seems like both teams played really well and Betsy Layne pulled it out.
(01-31-2024, 10:44 AM)Ralph Furley Wrote: [ -> ]Central may be the worst defensive team in our side of the state. Hopefully Paintsville will limit Slone’s touches on Friday and come out with a win. That’s the key to beat Central. Slone’s touches has to be limited because the other four on the floor are not a threat to score. Then on offense, drive to the lane and kick out for a  wide open three. Central is clueless on the defensive end.

Well that’s not surprising that JC isn’t great on the defensive end when their top 6 players are: 1 junior, 4 freshmen, and an 8th grader. JC has an extremely bright future in basketball. 

Also players other than Austin Slone scored 60 points tonight. So I think they growing into their roles as well.
(01-31-2024, 10:54 AM)Mr. D Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-31-2024, 10:44 AM)Ralph Furley Wrote: [ -> ]Central may be the worst defensive team in our side of the state. Hopefully Paintsville will limit Slone’s touches on Friday and come out with a win. That’s the key to beat Central. Slone’s touches has to be limited because the other four on the floor are not a threat to score. Then on offense, drive to the lane and kick out for a  wide open three. Central is clueless on the defensive end.

Well that’s not surprising that JC isn’t great on the defensive end when their top 6 players are: 1 junior, 4 freshmen, and an 8th grader. JC has an extremely bright future in basketball. 

Also players other than Austin Slone scored 60 points tonight. So I think they growing into their roles as well.
The production from that other players last night just shows that Betsy Layne may be the second worst defensive team in Eastern Kentucky. Fools Gold…..
(01-31-2024, 10:18 AM)Grinch1 Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah by looking on KHSAA. Pente had hit 8 total threes all year coming into last night.  He hits 8 of their 17 and it still took OT to beat a young JC team.  Seems like BL has to fix a lot of things defensively but last night was a decent win on the road to maybe right the ship for the final part of the season.

The stats from last night are unbelievable. Pente hits 8 threes when he had made a total of 8 on the season and was shooting 18% on the season from three. BL hits 17 threes total when they were averaging 5 made threes per game and 30% from three. BL hits 4 buzzer beaters to end each quarter. Just one of those nights where they could have shot with their eyes closed and it would go in.
(01-31-2024, 10:50 AM)Well, coach, you can say what you want, but the truth is the the truth.  I don't know who you think I am, but I'm probably not as I don't know anyone at Betsy Layne personally anymore.  I left Floyd County behind a long time ago because of things like this, but I do still keep up with old friends. Maybe coach a little more and pat yourself on the back a little less on social media and you can win a few more games. BillSelf Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-31-2024, 09:56 AM)15rocks Wrote: [ -> ]Betsy Layne shot the lights.  If they shoot a normal percentage from three, they lose by double digits and more.  Johnson Central played well and had a great start, but they did leave the shooters open too much.  Betsy Layne will have to shoot like that every night to have a chance though.  They played a no defense lineup all night and left the middle wide open for Rose and their guards kept getting exposed as they got blew by constantly.  New coaches this year, but I do think they are having buyers remorse.  Newsome could coach, he just wasn't well liked by the players.  They won last night despite the coaches, not because of.  We will be fine at JC.  Very young and will learn.  Next three years should be fun.

When I see posts about a coach or coaches, I immediately go to look at other posts by the poster and potential culprits.

This is your first post in 3 years, but you felt the need to post after this one. With ties to JC and BL, hmmm. Something to chew on for others.

Betsy Layne needs to shoot lights out to win?

- JC shot 56% for the game lol 
- All 5 starters scored 14 or more
- Slone and Shepherd both scored near their average.
- Montgomery also made three 3's, only made 8 for the season up until that point at 25%. 
- Rose, Meeks and Montgomery average 19 PPG combined, but had 46.

JC beat Prestonsburg by 20, Paintsville by 13, only lost to GRC by 7 and only lost to Martin County by 7... JC is not bad by any stretch of the imagination.

Doesn't seem like Betsy Layne got lucky, just seems like both teams played really well and Betsy Layne pulled it out.
(01-31-2024, 10:59 AM)Mr. D Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-31-2024, 10:18 AM)Grinch1 Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah by looking on KHSAA. Pente had hit 8 total threes all year coming into last night.  He hits 8 of their 17 and it still took OT to beat a young JC team.  Seems like BL has to fix a lot of things defensively but last night was a decent win on the road to maybe right the ship for the final part of the season.

The stats from last night are unbelievable. Pente hits 8 threes when he had made a total of 8 on the season and was shooting 18% on the season from three. BL hits 17 threes total when they were averaging 5 made threes per game and 30% from three. BL hits 4 buzzer beaters to end each quarter. Just one of those nights where they could have shot with their eyes closed and it would go in.

After watching them the last 3 games or so on live stream, they were bound for a good shooting game. Might have made 8 threes in the past 3 games combined lol Good thing they were hitting or it could have gotten ugly, because JC played really well.
Good win for the Bobcats. They needed it. I do think they traded defense for offense last night as the shooters from both side kept pouring it in. Betsy Layne went with a short bench last night, but almost too short. A lot of foul trouble and exhaustion was definitely a factor. Some nights the ball just goes in.
(01-31-2024, 11:12 AM)Pikecoballer Wrote: [ -> ]Good win for the Bobcats.  They needed it.  I do think they traded defense for offense last night as the shooters from both side kept pouring it in.  Betsy Layne went with a short bench last night, but almost too short.  A lot of foul trouble and exhaustion was definitely a factor.  Some nights the ball just goes in.

Short bench was a great coaching move and what they have needed all year actually. If Howard and crew can keep the rotation similar to what it was this week they can be dangerous. Subbing just to sub only works if you have pretty equal talent. Theres a reason you only start 5
JC is young and will continue to get better. Tommy is one of the wheat coaches in the 15th.

BL isn’t a bad team at all, just inconsistent
Short bench is what the Bobcats need. The only reason to go past 7 is foul trouble. They do need better interior defense. Getting to the rim is far too easy against them.
Good call.   Woah

They've beat the ol Redhead benchwarmer, and more importantly Beanie and her "clueless" partner and offspring, twice this year.

Somehow JC had enough of a clue on the defensive end to hold Paintsville to 47 points.