Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: New Trilogy: The Golden Compass
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I've heard there are a few churches, including the Catholics, that are suggesting a boycot of this new movie. They say its author is an athiest who's goal is to teach our youth that the church is a false organzation used to control and manipulate them. He has three different (dark) novels. What are your thoughts? Don't we have enough bad examples in society today already? Sex, Nudity, Violence....etc on the TV and theaters. Its no wonder we're on a downward spiral. Ya think?
While it is no doubt his intention from what I've read... I think he's actually on the record as saying that as well. I doubt strongly that this movie will influence even one soul to believe so. Its a movie about polar bears fighting through CGI graphics... lol

I think a better target would be the Da Vinci Code, if one were to make a more successful case. However, once again, its a work of fiction.... and isn't portrayed as the truth.
DEFINATLY not a movie that I nor my children will be watching..... I have NO interest in anything of this sort what~ so~ ever.....
This semester I took Intro to Film 101..which is great by the way!!!

Well my teacher read the books and said she is not going to watch the movie. We asked why and she said that in the books the bad guy/girl is the Christain/Catholic church (can't remember which one) She said it is pretty much saying that the religious people are bad and that she doesn't want to teach her children one thing and then let them watch a movie saying that that is wrong!

I agree. Sure it's not coming out and saying, 'Hey be an atheist.' And I'm sure thats not why they made a movie. Because the movie looks interesting! But the book its based on is saying that the believers of God are the mean ones. But this controversy will make the movie more money instead of making ppl not go see it
Well in the final book of the series they kill god in it but disney is making this movie, But i will not be seeing this one.
ronald_reagan Wrote:While it is no doubt his intention from what I've read... I think he's actually on the record as saying that as well. I doubt strongly that this movie will influence even one soul to believe so. Its a movie about polar bears fighting through CGI graphics... lol

I think a better target would be the Da Vinci Code, if one were to make a more successful case. However, once again, its a work of fiction.... and isn't portrayed as the truth.

Unlike the Da Vince Code, this is a film that will be more attractive to CHILDREN. The three novels for children were written in response to C.S. Lewis's "Chronicles of Narnia" in which Lewis's intentions were to teach children christian principles. Although the director of this "first' film (for it is intended that at least 2 more will follow), has watered down some of the contraversial religious material. He has promised to keep more to the original content in the next ones. The third novel by Pullman has the children eventually killing God. Unlike C.S. Lewis who is one of the greatest christian authors, Pullman's intentions are to promote athieism. And he is starting with the most influencial group, our children. While the film alone will probably not be the sole source of influence that converts, it is a step in the wrong direction for young and tender minds!
From my understanding, this film was intentionally watered down from the atheistic principles espoused in the books. This was to make the films more acceptable to parents whose children want to see the movie simply for all the action and special effects.

What the author is hoping is that children who see the film will get hooked and watch the rest of the films which will not be so watered down. Then the kids who enjoy reading may even ask their parents for the much darker book versions.
More Cowbell Wrote:From my understanding, this film was intentionally watered down from the atheistic principles espoused in the books. This was to make the films more acceptable to parents whose children want to see the movie simply for all the action and special effects.

What the author is hoping is that children who see the film will get hooked and watch the rest of the films which will not be so watered down. Then the kids who enjoy reading may even ask their parents for the much darker book versions.

Exactly right!
It's just a movie...geez!
Sportsfan54 Wrote:I've heard there are a few churches, including the Catholics, that are suggesting a boycot of this new movie. They say its author is an athiest who's goal is to teach our youth that the church is a false organzation used to control and manipulate them. He has three different (dark) novels. What are your thoughts? Don't we have enough bad examples in society today already? Sex, Nudity, Violence....etc on the TV and theaters. Its no wonder we're on a downward spiral. Ya think?
i think it's a bunch of nonsense it's a freaking chidrens movie for god sakes the little kids watching probally won't even make the whole Atheist connection thing
This is one movie that i will not be watching.
RammsteinFan92 Wrote:i think it's a bunch of nonsense it's a freaking chidrens movie for god sakes the little kids watching probally won't even make the whole Atheist connection thing

I agree, the only one's that will pick up ANY themes will be the adults.

Did any of your children pick up on the Christian themes is Narnia? Probably not, because they just liked the creatures, and lions, etc.

When I read The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe when I was little, I had NO idea that it was paralleling anything Christian.

Now, on to my gripe with all of you.

Have ANY of you read these books? Or are you just going on hearsay and believing whatever ANYBODY tells you. Stop mindlessly believing EVERYTHING you hear and check into it for yourselves. I have all three books by Pullman if any of you want to read them. Rolleyes
Have any of you or your kids started to learn witchcraft because of Harry Potter? Then why would anyone or there kids want to become atheist after seeing this movie?

I also like the movie Reservoir Dogs, but just because I saw that movie doesn't mean that I now want to rob a bank and kill people.

It's the same thing, most of us who aren't mentally challenged have the ability to separate reality from FICTION.
Great point ComfortEagle!! never thought of it like that...thanks
ComfortEagle Wrote:I agree, the only one's that will pick up ANY themes will be the adults.

Did any of your children pick up on the Christian themes is Narnia? Probably not, because they just liked the creatures, and lions, etc.

When I read The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe when I was little, I had NO idea that it was paralleling anything Christian.

Now, on to my gripe with all of you.

Have ANY of you read these books? Or are you just going on hearsay and believing whatever ANYBODY tells you. Stop mindlessly believing EVERYTHING you hear and check into it for yourselves. I have all three books by Pullman if any of you want to read them. Rolleyes
Amen brother....it's a fact that half the people that are boycotting this movie haven't even picked up one of the books......they believe whatever the Catholic or Christian church Thinks and don't try to figure it out for their selves......yea no kids probally didn't even make the connection of Narina and Christanity....because their kids they don't care about the messages or themes of the movies they want to watch them because of the CGI effects and all the cool inventions.....my grandparents hate Harry Potter because other christans hate it.....they've never even picked up a harry potter book......it's just P's Me off that people will believe Whatever they hear....THANK YOU

RammsteinFan92
ComfortEagle Wrote:Have any of you or your kids started to learn witchcraft because of Harry Potter? Then why would anyone or there kids want to become atheist after seeing this movie?

I also like the movie Reservoir Dogs, but just because I saw that movie doesn't mean that I now want to rob a bank and kill people.

It's the same thing, most of us who aren't mentally challenged have the ability to separate reality from FICTION.
I agree with you Comfort Eagle
It is just another tool that Satan will use.
1Peter 5:8
Be sober, be vigilant;because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour:

As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord. If it is not for God, it is against it. To me, this is the problem with the world today, they have conformed and give in. And say, "It will be ok, they don't mean any harm". Satan means harm and will use any means necessary.
I would rather not read any of Pullman's books. I have studied Pullman and he is a renowned atheist. His intent and he has stated so is to discredit anything that has to do with Christianity. And as for any of our children picking up on the Christian theme, my 12 year old did. And for the record does not like the movie and has no a desire to watch The Golden Compass. I'm a grown man with a college degree and I do check into things for myself, so I don't go mindlessly believing what I hear. I study and show myself approved. It is up to us as parents to help our children along in this life until they reach the age of accountability, then they can make the right and wrong decisions thereselves. If you all chose to watch it, then so be it. But to state people are mindless because they chose not to based on there religous beliefs is really hypocritacal.
Crossbones Wrote:I would rather not read any of Pullman's books. I have studied Pullman and he is a renowned atheist. His intent and he has stated so is to discredit anything that has to do with Christianity. And as for any of our children picking up on the Christian theme, my 12 year old did. And for the record does not like the movie and has no a desire to watch The Golden Compass. I'm a grown man with a college degree and I do check into things for myself, so I don't go mindlessly believing what I hear. I study and show myself approved. It is up to us as parents to help our children along in this life until they reach the age of accountability, then they can make the right and wrong decisions thereselves. If you all chose to watch it, then so be it. But to state people are mindless because they chose not to based on there religous beliefs is really hypocritacal.

How can you have studied it if you haven't read it? That's my point. Reading sparknotes, or hearsay from others is NOT 'studying.' Reading internet webpages are not 'studying.'

Ok, your 12 year old picked up on it, way to go, do you really think younger kids would without assistance from adults? A 5 year old? An 8 year old? That's who this movie is targeted towards. Not tweens and teens. All they show in the trailers are polar bears and visual effects.

I'm all for you not allowing your kids to see the movie or read the books, it's your right o do that as a parent, but for the church to tell every one of their followers not to see the movie is wrong. The Catholic church also disagrees with birth control, so that goes to show how clear their thinking is.
ComfortEagle Wrote:The Catholic church also disagrees with birth control, so that goes to show how clear their thinking is.

Whats wrong with that? :confused:
ComfortEagle Wrote:How can you have studied it if you haven't read it? That's my point. Reading sparknotes, or hearsay from others is NOT 'studying.' Reading internet webpages are not 'studying.'

Ok, your 12 year old picked up on it, way to go, do you really think younger kids would without assistance from adults? A 5 year old? An 8 year old? That's who this movie is targeted towards. Not tweens and teens. All they show in the trailers are polar bears and visual effects.

I'm all for you not allowing your kids to see the movie or read the books, it's your right o do that as a parent, but for the church to tell every one of their followers not to see the movie is wrong. The Catholic church also disagrees with birth control, so that goes to show how clear their thinking is.
There is a difference in reading a book and studying about it's author. I have read and studied about the author, so I see no need in reading any of his material. He has made his intent clear. Once again, I have a college degree, so I know what in tells in "studying". Your right, kids need assistance from adults to know the dangers of the world. Thanks for proving my point. And yes, the movie is targeting 5 year olds and up. Thats how satan works, his intent is tear down the home. Trailers do not always show the intent of the movie, it's called marketing. My Church has not once spoken of or tried to sway the members from attending this movie. So my point is, don't lump us all in the same barrel. As for the Catholic Church and their beliefs, thats their right, I am not a Catholic, I am a Baptist, thats where I choose to worship.
Crossbones Wrote:There is a difference in reading a book and studying about it's author. I have read and studied about the author, so I see no need in reading any of his material. He has made his intent clear. Once again, I have a college degree, so I know what in tells in "studying". Your right, kids need assistance from adults to know the dangers of the world. Thanks for proving my point. And yes, the movie is targeting 5 year olds and up. Thats how satan works, his intent is tear down the home. Trailers do not always show the intent of the movie, it's called marketing. My Church has not once spoken of or tried to sway the members from attending this movie. So my point is, don't lump us all in the same barrel. As for the Catholic Church and their beliefs, thats their right, I am not a Catholic, I am a Baptist, thats where I choose to worship.

CE sounds like he's harboring some hate for the Catholic church. I wouldn't pay much attention to it.
Crossbones Wrote:There is a difference in reading a book and studying about it's author. I have read and studied about the author, so I see no need in reading any of his material. He has made his intent clear. Once again, I have a college degree, so I know what in tells in "studying". Your right, kids need assistance from adults to know the dangers of the world. Thanks for proving my point. And yes, the movie is targeting 5 year olds and up. Thats how satan works, his intent is tear down the home. Trailers do not always show the intent of the movie, it's called marketing. My Church has not once spoken of or tried to sway the members from attending this movie. So my point is, don't lump us all in the same barrel. As for the Catholic Church and their beliefs, thats their right, I am not a Catholic, I am a Baptist, thats where I choose to worship.

I'm not lumping everyone in the same barrel. There are several people that are not going to see this movie because someone told them not or someone told them it was evil.

You have studied Pullman, congrats, but there are a large number of people that have not, will not, and follow blindly.
ronald_reagan Wrote:Whats wrong with that? :confused:

Pregnant teenagers is what's wrong with that.
ComfortEagle Wrote:Pregnant teenagers is what's wrong with that.

Smile

Other than the virgin Mary, I can't recall someone getting pregnant without doing something to cause it. Thats the problem CE.

Before birth control existed, how many unwed teens became pregnant? :confused:

Thats ridiculous.
ronald_reagan Wrote:Smile

Other than the virgin Mary, I can't recall someone getting pregnant without doing something to cause it. Thats the problem CE.

Before birth control existed, how many unwed teens became pregnant? :confused:

Thats ridiculous.

Can you show me any stats that prove they didn't?

A sexually active teen that does not use any birth control has a 90 percent chance of becoming pregnant within a year.

But that is a different subject.

*see the new thread to continue the birth control debate.
The birth rate increased from 7 births per 1,000 unmarried women aged 15-44 in 1940 to 44 per 1,000 in 1990 (tables 1 and 2, figure 1).
Trends in rates have been cyclical for most age groups, except the rates for teenagers. Teen rates rose, almost without interruption, from 1940 to 1990. Rates for women in their twenties and thirties rose steeply in the 1980's, by at least 50 percent (table 2, figure 2).
Major changes in marriage patterns produced rapid growth in the number of unmarried women in all age groups. Two-thirds of women in their early twenties and about 40 percent of women in their late twenties are currently unmarried.
The number of nonmarital births rose 13-fold between 1940 and 1990, from 89,500 in 1940 to 1.2 million in 1990 (table 1 and figure 1).
The percent of all births that occurred to unmarried women rose seven-fold, from 4 percent in 1940 to 28 percent in 1990 (table 1 and figure 1). Increases were substantial in all age groups (table 4 and figure 4).

--------------------------------

From the HHS wesbite.

You didn't even need any stats to know that the problem isn't lack of birth control.

Why is it that families who eat dinner at the dinner table together each night, have kids that don't get pregnant... and don't do drugs. (general rule, studies show...there are exceptions... but when compared to the flip side of the story, its a DRAMATIC drop).

The problem isn't lack of birth control. Its the breakdown of the traditional family. Everyone knows that grandma sue wasn't quite a hoe growing up...

We never had people getting married and divorced like it was going out of style, and kids born out of wedlock in the pre 1950's era. Everyone knows this. Why don't you?
We're off topic. Feel free to dicuss birth control in it's respective thread. Back to The Golden Compass/His Dark Materials.
Feel free to move the above post to the other thread.. and then feel free to respond to it. You asked for stats, you got them.
I cannot move an individual post without moving an entire thread. You have validated my point in the other thread by saying most Catholics do not even go by that anymore.

You're saying that most do not follow a rule that they feel does not apply to their lives and therefore the Catholic church's stance on it is irrelevant to their lives.

If they're so outdated on their stance to abortion, then why care about their stance on a movie?

Now, back to the topic of this thread.
Pages: 1 2