Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: 14th and 15th Region
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Has there been any early season upsets in the 14th and 15th?  Any surprise teams ?
Breathitt beating Martin Co is shocking to me.

Knott beating Pikeville is as well.

I think the 15th might be way down this year.
Prestonsburg beating Shelby Valley surprised me. I know Shelby Valley isn't as strong as they have been in the past, but when you can go to the Valley and get a win, it's always a plus. Prestonsburg has a lot of young talent, and hopefully they can make a run in the regional tournament this year.
Early season upsets happen but i do believe the 15th is wide open. Gonna be some fun matchups to watch!
It is, 6-8 teams could win it.

I still think Martin is best but not so good they can’t be beat.

Pikeville is 2

Floyd Central 3

Pike Central 4

Prestonsburg 5

Then Valley, JC, Magoffin, Paintsville Lawrence and Belfry are all honestly about the same
(12-06-2023, 12:31 AM)RTruth Wrote: [ -> ]Breathitt beating Martin Co is shocking to me.

Magoffin is a sleeper in the 15th. They have the best player in the state in my opinion and they know how to get it done
(12-13-2023, 01:05 AM)Kentuckyfan60 Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-06-2023, 12:31 AM)RTruth Wrote: [ -> ]Breathitt beating Martin Co is shocking to me.

Magoffin is a sleeper in the 15th. They have the best player in the state in my opinion and they know how to get it done
Best player in the state? You must be drunk.

nice shoutout for your son… watch trent noah at Harlan co, or just drive west and see if you still have that opinion. There’s 6 or more players in the 11th region better than any player in the 15th.
I think the 14th so far has shown to be better than the 15th as far as head to head matchups go.

Knott over Pikeville
Knott over pike central
Perry over magoffin
Perry over Floyd central
Breathitt over Martin

Just a few of the matchups, I know Martin beat Knott, and magoffin beat letcher but other than that I can’t think of any of the 15th teams beating the top 14th teams so far. And I know, it won’t matter when they get to Rupp, any team from the 14 or 15 will most likely get drilled first game
Any surprises so far in December in the 14th and 15th?
Not any that I know of.
PC beating Boyd is a surprise.
(12-21-2023, 12:59 AM)RTruth Wrote: [ -> ]PC beating Boyd is a surprise.

BL beating Martin?

Is this a misprint??? Best player in the state??? He’s a true scorer but plays no defense!  I think the guard from Pike Central is better imo.  He plays on both ends of the floor.
Betsy Layne over Martin County probably biggest outlier so far but Cardinals did that a few times last year also and until someone knocks them off in a tourney setting, they are team to beat in 15th. PC beating Boyd was a nice win and then Pikeville beats PC and smokes Boyd who was undefeated until this week. Knott beat Pikeville game 1 but Panthers are already a different team despite not being healthy yet. Pikeville had beaten Perry by around 30 preseason before that. Wolfe hangs with Breathitt and then Bobcats lose 2 in Pburg Christmas tourney without Sperry. Hazard, Perry, Breathitt, Letcher, and Knott will have a chance in 14. Martin, Pikeville, Pike Central in 15. Some spoilers are there like Floyd Central and Magoffin. More parity and no dominant teams this year. Too early to make assumptions. Some early wins by certain teams would be losses later. The post season could be wild in those 2 regions. Whoever plays well at the right time will take both.
Martin County has the most talent from top to bottom and is the team to beat.
(12-23-2023, 05:35 AM)Belichick Wrote: [ -> ]Betsy Layne over Martin County probably biggest outlier so far but Cardinals did that a few times last year also and until someone knocks them off in a tourney setting, they are team to beat in 15th. PC beating Boyd was a nice win and then Pikeville beats PC and smokes Boyd who was undefeated until this week. Knott beat Pikeville game 1 but Panthers are already a different team despite not being healthy yet. Pikeville had beaten Perry by around 30 preseason before that. Wolfe hangs with Breathitt and then Bobcats lose 2 in Pburg Christmas tourney without Sperry. Hazard, Perry, Breathitt, Letcher, and Knott will have a chance in 14. Martin, Pikeville, Pike Central in 15. Some spoilers are there like Floyd Central and Magoffin. More parity and no dominant teams this year. Too early to make assumptions. Some early wins by certain teams would be losses later. The post season could be wild in those 2 regions. Whoever plays well at the right time will take both.

BL is a sprained ankle away from defeating Martin County and FC within a weeks time. 

Martin County and Pikeville are your top 2. Magoffin, Pike Central, Floyd Central, Lawrence County and BL can beat them based on matchups/styles. But SV, Paintsville, JC and/or Pburg could beat any of those capable of doing so. 

Thing is, 2 of the preseason top 3 will be on the same side of the regional bracket. Martin, Pikeville and PC. IMO the regional champ will have to beat 2 of those 3 atleast, maybe all 3.

The super regional could be legendary in its first year filled with chaos.

Could very well see a regional champion outside the pre-season top 3.
(12-26-2023, 12:02 AM)BillSelf Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-23-2023, 05:35 AM)Belichick Wrote: [ -> ]Betsy Layne over Martin County probably biggest outlier so far but Cardinals did that a few times last year also and until someone knocks them off in a tourney setting, they are team to beat in 15th. PC beating Boyd was a nice win and then Pikeville beats PC and smokes Boyd who was undefeated until this week. Knott beat Pikeville game 1 but Panthers are already a different team despite not being healthy yet. Pikeville had beaten Perry by around 30 preseason before that. Wolfe hangs with Breathitt and then Bobcats lose 2 in Pburg Christmas tourney without Sperry. Hazard, Perry, Breathitt, Letcher, and Knott will have a chance in 14. Martin, Pikeville, Pike Central in 15. Some spoilers are there like Floyd Central and Magoffin. More parity and no dominant teams this year. Too early to make assumptions. Some early wins by certain teams would be losses later. The post season could be wild in those 2 regions. Whoever plays well at the right time will take both.

BL is a sprained ankle away from defeating Martin County and FC within a weeks time. 

Martin County and Pikeville are your top 2. Magoffin, Pike Central, Floyd Central, Lawrence County and BL can beat them based on matchups/styles. But SV, Paintsville, JC and/or Pburg could beat any of those capable of doing so. 

Thing is, 2 of the preseason top 3 will be on the same side of the regional bracket. Martin, Pikeville and PC. IMO the regional champ will have to beat 2 of those 3 atleast, maybe all 3.

The super regional could be legendary in its first year filled with chaos.

Could very well see a regional champion outside the pre-season top 3.
Talent level in 15th is closer than past few seasons for sure but coaching also is a big deal in postseason. I agree you could see a team get hot and make a run but I like one of the top 3 to get it done barring any injuries. If any of those play fairly well, they just have more room for error.