Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Former Scott County head basketball coach Billy Hicks Passes Away..
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The States all-time winningest coach passed away this morning. Sad news!
I just saw this.  I hate this so much!!  He was my favorite coach to watch during the games.  THE most animated coach I've ever seen!!

https://www.wkyt.com/2023/12/04/winninge...icks-dies/
Sad. Prayers for the family!
This one stings. I hate to hear this. Sure he is the best coach to ever grace the sidelines in this state but he is more importantly one of the finest men that I've known. My thoughts and prayers are with Betsy, Ashley, and the family. We hate to lose him but he is now reunited with his pride and joy, Tyler. RIP coach
We love coach Hicks here in Corbin. I can still remember little Tyler playing on the Gilliam Gym floor after a game with his little plastic baseball bat. Tony P. credits Coach Hicks for helping shape his career as a player and coach. I'm sure hundreds of others have been positively influenced by Coach Hicks.

Granny, you mentioned how animated Coach Hicks was. One game that I remember more than any other was a game at Knox Central between Corbin and Knox. Both teams were ranked in the top 5 in the state, maybe even 1 and 2. I think it was early 90's. Those two teams were loaded with talent. It was a very heated atmosphere. Coach Bill Swafford started jawing at Billy and Billy met Bill around center court on the sidelines and they almost came to blows. They were literally going nose to nose before coaches and refs stepped in to prevent fists from flying. I'll never forget that !!!

Sad, sad day in Corbin, Harlan County, and Scott County, and all across Kentucky. Just a nice ol' country boy from Eastern KY who became the greatest to ever do it. It was an honor to watch him coach for the decade or so he was at Corbin. RIP Coach. You were the man!!!

Statement from Scott County schools:

Scott County Schools and the Scott County High School family are grieving the loss of beloved long-time basketball coach Billy Hicks. On the court, Coach Hicks was the winningest coach in Kentucky high school basketball history but his true greatness was in the strength of his character off the court.

As an educator and friend, Coach Hicks was a leader of men whose legacy and salt-of-the earth kindness will forever be cherished by Scott County Schools. We express our deepest sympathy to his wife Betsy, daughter Ashley Johnson and her husband Jed, as well as his grandson and favorite fishing buddy.

After much discussion, the Billy Hicks Classic basketball tournament scheduled to begin on Tuesday, December 5, 2023 will proceed as planned. Family and friends closest to Coach Hicks believe this is what he would have wanted and that continuing in his honor will be an appropriate tribute to the game and community he held dear.

Cardinal basketball, Scott County High School, Scott County Schools, and the entire Scott County community are better for having known and loved our own Coach Billy Hicks.

Tony Pietrowski, via X(Twitter):

"I owe a tremendous amount to Coach Hicks. He’s been a mentor to me my entire life. My heart hurts for Betsy, Ashley and his entire family. "

Corbin Boys Basketball
@RedhoundHoops
·
4h
Coach Hicks was and always will be synonymous with Corbin High School Basketball. We are deeply saddened to hear of his passing. Our thoughts and prayers go out to Betsy, his family and all those effected by this tragedy. He was simply the best to ever do it.
Great coach and a great person
RIP Coach. Legend watched many games at the state tourney of him walking the sidelines in his red blazer
Funeral arrangements were released for Billy Hicks.

The funeral will be Sunday, Dec. 10, at 1 p.m. in the Scott County High School gym.
How fitting that it be in the gym!!