Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Hot takes on 2A for 2024
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Mayfield got it done! Post your hot takes for 2024. Who’s rising? Who takes a step back? Players to watch? Predictions?
Brady Atwell Mr. Football
(12-02-2023, 03:47 PM)Danville Blue Devil Wrote: [ -> ]Brady Atwell Mr. Football
Legit possibility
Rising Team: Somerset.
(12-02-2023, 04:25 PM)Bull got out! Wrote: [ -> ]Rising Team: Somerset.
They got better all year long. Have quite a bit returning also unless I’m mistaken.
(12-02-2023, 03:47 PM)Danville Blue Devil Wrote: [ -> ]Brady Atwell Mr. Football

I haven’t seen a better player returning next year, so this is definitely a possibility. Not sure how many of their other players are returning, but if he has a line to block next year and a few people to catch the ball, he could break some records.
Atwell is the second best player in the state next year behind quisenberry, and he will dominate this class. IDK if anyone can touch 91 tds in a year, but if there was going to be anyone it would be atwell.
(12-02-2023, 03:47 PM)Danville Blue Devil Wrote: [ -> ]Brady Atwell Mr. Football

I believe it will be a 2 horse race early with Atwell & Q from Boyle.
Are juniors eligible?
(12-02-2023, 09:16 PM)rookie57 Wrote: [ -> ]Are juniors eligible?
Both Atwell and Quisenberry will be seniors next season I think.
I’ve heard through the grapevine that Mr Atwell should be terrorizing the 6A ranks next season
(12-03-2023, 12:29 AM)CS17 Wrote: [ -> ]I’ve heard through the grapevine that Mr Atwell should be terrorizing the 6A ranks next season
Heard that rumor at the games.
What does Mayfield lose, their offense was really really good during the Championship game
Beechwood will be back. Beechwood only loses 4 starters. All of their skill guys are back! The freshman team has talent and size! The Tigers are loaded for next year!
Agree beechwood will be back next year. I know one 2A hype machine ill never fall for again tho.
(12-03-2023, 08:49 AM)Old School 18 Wrote: [ -> ]Agree beechwood will be back next year. I know one 2A hype machine ill never fall for again tho.

Haha I wonder if they got their parade after the Mayfield game. But that coaching staff should be ashamed! With all of the talent they had in 5 years they couldn’t even get one state title.
(12-03-2023, 01:15 AM)TD Hounds Wrote: [ -> ]What does Mayfield lose, their offense was really really good during the Championship game

A lot is the short answer. This years team was Senior heavy. I have no doubt some underclassmen will step up and some will have a big impact, but I think as Mayfield fans we have to be realistic and not expect the same level of success next year. We are losing far too many starters this year.

I hope I’m wrong, but I think it will be a couple years before we challenge for another title. We will be competitive and you just never know with Coach Joe running the show, but my expectations are tempered.

Based on what I have seen and based on my admittedly limited knowledge of other programs around the state, my money would be on Beechwood to be the top dog in 2A again next year. If Atwell sticks around in Owensboro, they will be a tough out as well. Beechwood returns too many starters from an already dangerous team and that’s who I would put my money on if I were a gambler.
(12-03-2023, 10:43 PM)Silverback Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-03-2023, 01:15 AM)TD Hounds Wrote: [ -> ]What does Mayfield lose, their offense was really really good during the Championship game

A lot is the short answer. This years team was Senior heavy. I have no doubt some underclassmen will step up and some will have a big impact, but I think as Mayfield fans we have to be realistic and not expect the same level of success next year. We are losing far too many starters this year.

I hope I’m wrong, but I think it will be a couple years before we challenge for another title. We will be competitive and you just never know with Coach Joe running the show, but my expectations are tempered.

Based on what I have seen and based on my admittedly limited knowledge of other programs around the state, my money would be on Beechwood to be the top dog in 2A again next year. If Atwell sticks around in Owensboro, they will be a tough out as well. Beechwood returns too many starters from an already dangerous team and that’s who I would put my money on if I were a gambler.

Yeah the Tigers will probably be the team to beat but we all know that just because you have the best talent aka LCA it doesn’t mean state titles but I’m sure my Tigers are already in the weight room!
Somerset will be loaded, and even more experienced. I look for them to be back in semis again, but that's as far as I'm going till we see how everyone looks. Typical LCA, Mayfield, OC, Beechwood,Somerset will be top dogs again. Green Co may make some noise, but typically like Breathitt, Shelby Valley etc. They just look good on paper, and beat week district opponents till playoffs, and get smacked.

Congrats to Mayfield glad to see them back with the title.

I'd start my pre season
1. Mayfield, till they're beat
2. Beechwood, should take it all
3. LCA, who returns, who comes in
4. Somerset tie
4. O.C tie
Mayfield will have some rebuilding to do. I checked roster and noticed 13 players that either started or had a good amount of playing time that will be back. However, only 1 was a lineman. The good news is the freshmen linemen are huge. We also have to replace a lot of talent including the qb and rb. But, MHS always has skill players. As far as I can see, Beechwood should be favored next year. If Atwell stays at OC, they should be right there with them. Of course you never know who LCA will recruit this year. So, that’s a dark horse there.
The Atwell noise until it happens is just that, NOISE and until then Owensboro Catholic will join Becchwood as favorites for next season. Somerset will form the next batch of teams, Mayfield loses a lot of key pieces it'll be interesting to see what they look like moving into next season. Outside those 3 the rest of the Class 2A Pre-Season Rankings and Polls could be wide open. Expect Green Co. and Betsy Layne possibly?!?!?
(12-05-2023, 05:06 PM)Nations Elite Wrote: [ -> ]The Atwell noise until it happens is just that, NOISE and until then Owensboro Catholic will join Becchwood as favorites for next season. Somerset will form the next batch of teams, Mayfield loses a lot of key pieces it'll be interesting to see what they look like moving into next season. Outside those 3 the rest of the Class 2A Pre-Season Rankings and Polls could be wide open. Expect Green Co. and Betsy Layne possibly?!?!?

LCA will have, or will get, enough talent to be at least top 5 in 2A.
Bump
Curious what everyone’s take for district 6 will be? Possibly same outcome as last year?
(12-04-2023, 05:01 PM)mysonis55 Wrote: [ -> ]Mayfield will have some rebuilding to do. I checked roster and noticed 13 players that either started or had a good amount of playing time that will be back. However, only 1 was a lineman. The good news is the freshmen linemen are huge. We also have to replace a lot of talent including the qb and rb. But, MHS always has skill players. As far as I can see, Beechwood should be favored next year. If Atwell stays at OC, they should be right there with them. Of course you never know who LCA will recruit this year. So, that’s a dark horse there.
They 2 from the O line and 2 D ends

(12-20-2023, 03:05 AM)55RedDog Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-04-2023, 05:01 PM)mysonis55 Wrote: [ -> ]Mayfield will have some rebuilding to do. I checked roster and noticed 13 players that either started or had a good amount of playing time that will be back. However, only 1 was a lineman. The good news is the freshmen linemen are huge. We also have to replace a lot of talent including the qb and rb. But, MHS always has skill players. As far as I can see, Beechwood should be favored next year. If Atwell stays at OC, they should be right there with them. Of course you never know who LCA will recruit this year. So, that’s a dark horse there.
They lose 2 from the O line and 2 D ends
(12-19-2023, 05:55 PM)Road Dog Wrote: [ -> ]Curious what everyone’s take for district 6 will be? Possibly same outcome as last year?

Somerset wins again, so just a matter of how the rest shakes out.
(12-20-2023, 10:29 AM)Shogun Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-19-2023, 05:55 PM)Road Dog Wrote: [ -> ]Curious what everyone’s take for district 6 will be? Possibly same outcome as last year?

Agreed. 

Somerset is far and away the best team in the district... and it is not even close.
(12-20-2023, 12:47 PM)TheStickyBandit Wrote: [ -> ]

Agreed. 

Somerset is far and away the best team in the district... and it is not even close.
For sure. Clevenger is building something special, I wonder how many kids will choose the briar jumpers over the other Pulaski schools moving forward.
(12-20-2023, 01:05 PM)Road Dog Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-20-2023, 12:47 PM)TheStickyBandit Wrote: [ -> ]

Agreed. 

For sure. Clevenger is building something special, I wonder how many kids will choose the briar jumpers over the other Pulaski schools moving forward.

I think Southwestern is comfortable for the time being. May get some kids from Pulaski but I think things have calmed down as far as the rush of players leaving to play for Foley. Who knows how things are going to shake out with the Pulaski fiasco. I've heard rumblings of some kids looking to make the move, but I'll believe it when I see it. The big thing for Clevenger would be to lock down the kids from Science Hill. A lot of great players for Pulaski and Somerset have come from up there.
A lot can happen in a years time, especially with the transfer portal, but I look for your usual suspects to be at the top of 2A. Beechwood would be my #1 team as of now, followed by Mayfield, LCA, and Somerset. Owensboro Catholic could be a darkhorse, and if Breathitt can find a QB and magically become more disciplined, they could surprise people, but I'm done with all of the hype. It should be an interesting year to say the least in 2A.
Pages: 1 2